As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Level Grinding for 5000 hours (Disgaea thread)

PataPata Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Social Entropy++
Normally, I do not level grind in RPGs.

Disgaea is an exception.

This is game that you can, literally, grind up everything.

Been playing Disgaea 3 and it's crazy how much stuff there is.

For instance, you can power up a weapon. I made a Level 182 fist weapon and it has over 10,000 attack and it is awesome. You can power up characters in two different ways. First there's the normal leveling up, but then there's the crazy Class World. To describe how it works would take way too much time. Ironically enough, gaining levels seems to be the least powerful way to build up a character, what with how the game hands them out like candy eventually. I can gain around 200 levels in ten minutes.

Why am I having fun with this game.

SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
Pata on

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    that sounds pretty dumb

RubberAC on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I only played Disgaea 1, and it was pretty boss.

Bucketman on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »
    that sounds pretty dumb

You sound pretty dumb.

Pata on
  • mnollmnoll Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I loved the first Disgaea

so, so much

mnoll on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    no this sounds pretty pointless and boring

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've never done any of the extra stuff for these games. Spending hours and hours grinding up levels just so you can beat a 15-20 minute stage was dumb.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only tactics games I can stand are Disgaea an afternoon of darkness because I can just make my psp sleep when I am bored

And final fantasy tactics advanced because that is a good game

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
    edited October 2009
    All video games are pointless.

Pata on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    then why play them at all

boom, I've solved 90% of your personal problems. go forth and procreate

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, I wanted to like disgaea, but it was just so LONG.

Personally I like a short sweet experience, the one exception being World of Warcraft, which for some reason I love.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only tactics games I can stand are Disgaea an afternoon of darkness because I can just make my psp sleep when I am bored

And final fantasy tactics advanced because that is a good game

la pucell is great too

and advanced wars (fire emblem isn't too bad)

but yeaah I had 300 hours logged on disgaea 1 when my brother wiped our memory card. eventually i got back up to 100 then never played it again...

and then the psp one came out...

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OH SHIT OH MAN

AND J'EANNE D'ARC

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    this is the one where i can morally justify my fantasizing about 13-year-olds because they are technically thousands of years old...right?

potatoe on
    edited October 2009
    I really fucking liked that one SRPG with the walking tanks from square enix.

Never finished it though since I only ever rented it now I can't find a copy.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
    edited October 2009
    please

they obviously look at least 14

mnoll on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Snowbeat wrote: »

Or you could go see what it is really like by yourself instead of dismissing it based off of the shitty description of some random guy on the internet.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited October 2009
    Artreus wrote: »

Or you could go see what it is really like by yourself instead of dismissing it based off of the shitty description of some random guy on the internet.

Goddamn you are a confrontational dude

Snowbeat is dumb and also confrontational but I mean if you instigate things with him and his ilk you are just gonna argue and annoy me.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
    edited October 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    For instance, you can power up a weapon. I made a Level 182 fist weapon and it has over 10,000 attack and it is awesome. You can power up characters in two different ways. First there's the normal leveling up, but then there's the crazy Class World. To describe how it works would take way too much time. Ironically enough, gaining levels seems to be the least powerful way to build up a character, what with how the game hands them out like candy eventually. I can gain around 200 levels in ten minutes

then why the hell do they have the level caps so fucking high? it's useless inflation, why not drop off a digit (or two) and make it normal?

dumb dumb dumb

potatoe on
    edited October 2009
    potatoe wrote: »
    For instance, you can power up a weapon. I made a Level 182 fist weapon and it has over 10,000 attack and it is awesome. You can power up characters in two different ways. First there's the normal leveling up, but then there's the crazy Class World. To describe how it works would take way too much time. Ironically enough, gaining levels seems to be the least powerful way to build up a character, what with how the game hands them out like candy eventually. I can gain around 200 levels in ten minutes

then why the hell do they have the level caps so fucking high? it's useless inflation, why not drop off a digit (or two) and make it normal?

dumb dumb dumb

Like Super Robot Wars, never got the point of all those zeros.

It's like the yugioh cardgame.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
    edited October 2009
    there is something wonderful about leveling up an item as high as it goes and putting it on a character leveled up as high as they go.

it is ocd nirvana

mnoll on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really fucking liked that one SRPG with the walking tanks from square enix.

Never finished it though since I only ever rented it now I can't find a copy.

Front Mission? Cause Front Mission is awesome.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited October 2009
    I played the shit out of front mission 3

Well actually I used a gameshark to get all the parts and then made cool looking mechs

I never actually

played

the game

per se

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
    edited October 2009

dumb dumb dumb

At least in the yugioh card game they had 1850s that could beat 1800s and yes 50 damage has made a difference in duels before

edited October 2009
    this is the one where i can morally justify my fantasizing about 13-year-olds because they are technically thousands of years old...right?

"officer i swear I thought she was over 18, i thought she looked at least 3000 years old"

edited October 2009

dumb dumb dumb

At least in the yugioh card game they had 1850s that could beat 1800s and yes 50 damage has made a difference in duels before

Kusu and I can attest to this.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
    edited October 2009

dumb dumb dumb

Because the game has stages and enemies that scale all across the level spectrum. The levels are important, they're what you need to get first. Once you do that you can make the super equipment.

There are stages in the game that require such power.

Also, it's all optional.

The story mode ends with the enemies and your party at around level 90, if you want to go higher then feel free, if not the story mode is a nice length.

Pata on
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    More like disgayea, m i rite?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited October 2009

dumb dumb dumb

Because the game has stages and enemies that scale all across the level spectrum. The levels are important, they're what you need to get first. Once you do that you can make the super equipment.

Also, it's all optional.

The story mode ends with the enemies and your party at around level 90, if you want to go higher then feel free, if not the story mode is a nice length.

not even your whole party. a ronin, a mage, and a gunner can pull it off if they have good gear

edited October 2009
    For a very long time I thought it was Disgagea.

I honestly don't know why

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
    edited October 2009
    Artreus wrote: »

Goddamn you are a confrontational dude

Snowbeat is dumb and also confrontational but I mean if you instigate things with him and his ilk you are just gonna argue and annoy me.

wait I have an ilk?

sweet

always wanted my own ilk

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
    edited October 2009
    Someone buy me the PS2 front mission if you can find it.

I wanna play that again soooo bad.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
    edited October 2009

dumb dumb dumb

Also, it's all optional.

Ironically enough, gaining levels seems to be the least powerful way to build up a character, what with how the game hands them out like candy eventually. I can gain around 200 levels in ten minutes.

why not take that 200 levels in 10 minutes
    200 levels
    in 10 minutes
    and make it 20 levels

there's no need for that extra 0

potatoe on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I played disgaea 3 for longer than I would like to admit

once you get all your shit set up you can get to level 9999 from level 1 in under a minute
    (disclaimer: this takes HOURS of set up)

unintentional on
    edited October 2009
    200 levels
    in 10 minutes
    and make it 20

Well, to tell the truth, I was only able to do that because I gamed the system.

Made an item that gives me like, a 600% exp bonus, took me ages to make.

Pata on
    edited October 2009
    I happen to have Disgaea DS laying around froma gift and haven't really touched it, anyone give me some tips?

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
    edited October 2009
    200 levels
    in 10 minutes
    and make it 20

Well, to tell the truth, I was only able to do that because I gamed the system.

Made an item that gives me like, a 600% exp bonus, took me ages to make.

okay, i can buy that

potatoe on
    edited October 2009
    yeah once you get the Puppy Paw Stick you can get exponentially more experience

just steal your own equipment off of your clones in Class World and take the statististicians and oh god I know way too much about this

you end up getting 97x the experience on every kill if you rig it up right

unintentional on
    edited October 2009
    I happen to have Disgaea DS laying around froma gift and haven't really touched it, anyone give me some tips?

If you want to just play the story mode, focus on a small party. Five or six characters should be enough to get through the game.

Pata on
    edited October 2009
    Saw a site for a new front mission game for 360...

Got all excited then noticed it's an action game...

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
    edited October 2009
    if you want to have a really easy fucking time through disgaea DS follow these instructions:
    at the first boss fight (Mid-Boss) lose on purpose. Then start a New Game+. Talk to Pleinair and take the third option (it's blank). You get her as a secret character and she has a ridiculous dodge rate

unintentional on