As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Forum Let's Play Index -- OLD THREAD; Go to the new one!

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    I've been trying to find the glorious Patrick Stewart X-Com LP, but sadly cannot. :(

GuavaMoments. All the X-Com LPs are great there.

That's not the infamous Patrick Stewart game though they are excellent.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've been trying to find the glorious Patrick Stewart X-Com LP, but sadly cannot. :(

Is the Patrick Stewart one the one someone started here and they lost at the first base invasion?

SkutSkut on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey Henroid, here's some more:

Super Mario Megathread - Gilder
    Earthworm Jim - Gilder
    Plok - Gilder
    Pink Goes to Hollywood - Gidler
    Mystical Ninja 2 - Gilder
    Cheetahman - Gilder - IN PROGRESS

Zelda Megathread - Valkun and others - INCOMPLETE
    Aerobiz Supersonic - ASimPerson

Also, if you're going to highlight SA LP's, you have to mention the KOTOR II LP: http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/KOTOR%202/

ASimPerson on
    edited October 2009
    Oh, and Dartboy, can you fix your photbucket account? I consider this the definitive PA SS2 LP:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=34797

ASimPerson on
    edited October 2009
    Master of Orion I - Xenogears of Bore (he attempted to try MoO II in the thread but wasn't able to get that far off the ground, but the MoO I LP is still great)

ASimPerson on
    edited October 2009
    Gilders EWJ vids are missing.

SkutSkut on
    edited October 2009
    Indeed. Hilariously, the pics for my LP are also missing. Whoops. I'll fix it when I get home.

ASimPerson on
    edited October 2009
    My vids are still up so Daily Motion is a good place to host video LPs.

SkutSkut on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looking through my imageshack album it looks like a few were dropped here and there. I'll see if I can replace them easily without breaking the image tags.

Aistan on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gilders EWJ vids are missing.

Yeah, Gamevee died so they're all gone. Back then Viddler just refused to accept my stuff without needing 200+ hours of encoding time and Dailymotion and Google both said it was copyright infringing with the use of cartoon clips. I still have them all on my laptop though. It's not really worth re-uploading however.

Gilder on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Is the Patrick Stewart one the one someone started here and they lost at the first base invasion?

The Patrick Stewart one is an epic ballad of a random soldier named Patrick Stewart that goes on to completely dominant the face of aliens everywhere. Imagine the movie The Predator, only instead of an alien hunting a bunch of humans, it's actually a human hunting and terrifying a bunch aliens.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've never even played X-Com. But I'll give that Patrick Stewart LP a shot.

Henroid on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    I've never even played X-Com. But I'll give that Patrick Stewart LP a shot.

Turns out it is more of an epic tale then an LP. I managed to track it down though along with a few other X-Com LPs/tales.

The Legend of Patrick Stewart as told by Imperfect

Tales of Bravery from the Log of Synthetic Orange

Tales of Aquatic Valor from the Log of QuietlyConfident

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anything by docfuture (RobotnikDDS) from SA is fucking amazing.

Shady3011 on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Let's Play Mega Man X2
    -Blackbeard7
    -Video
    -In Progress

That tech support thread from somethingawful will definatley come in handy if I ever do another LP.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Let's Play Ghost Master
    - Xtarath
    - Screenshot
    - In Progress

It's only just started but it looks promising.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited October 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Indeed. Hilariously, the pics for my LP are also missing. Whoops. I'll fix it when I get home.

Fixed! Here's the link again: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=46952

ASimPerson on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Let's Play Mega Man X2
    -Blackbeard7
    -Video
    -In Progress

That tech support thread from somethingawful will definatley come in handy if I ever do another LP.

You seem to have linked me to G&T sir.

Also, I've mentioned the KotOR 2 LP more than once SimPerson. :?

I may as well add some section regarding X-Com in the OP since people are busting a nut for it.

And I'm not adding the EWJ LP if there's nothing to it anymore, though, I'm not trying to discourage Gilder from reuploading to a different source.

Still need people making suggestions for hosts / programs / methods for making LP's...

Henroid on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And I'm not adding the EWJ LP if there's nothing to it anymore, though, I'm not trying to discourage Gilder from reuploading to a different source.
    A minor setback.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well I have a suggestion for a host not to use and that's xs.to. On Somethingawful there's a list of hosts with pros and cons. Xs.to was the only one I could get to work with their Rightload mass-uploading program (which is pretty nice if you can get it to work). It seemed great at the time, then I noticed last month that nearly all my images disappeared. Given the numbering system of the links, I want to assume that as more people upload to the site, it deletes older images for space concerns. Minion used the same site for his FFIX LP and the same thing is happening to him, so yeah. Don't use it unless you want to re-upload every few months.

I'm not sure there's anything else I could say that hasn't already been said or isn't said in the SA link. I will however go over my general method I used when updating my screenshot LP.

- Play the game while taking screenshots of nearly every possible thing I could, and nearly every line of dialogue. I used FRAPS and took the shots manually. I saved each update to a completely new folder. MAKE MULTIPLE SAVES OF YOUR GAME.

- After playing, go into said folder and go through every shot. Pick out the shots you want to use and move them into yet another new folder. Then rename them according to the update and the order they're in. (Ex: 3-1, 3-2, 4-15, 4-16)

- Open Word, place the screenshots in the document and write about them what you see fit. Placing them in the document really only serves the purpose to remind you what you're writing about and how many shots go by without text, assuming that is necessary. It also happens to conveniently create space for where you can place the link in the post after copying it. SAVE THIS DOCUMENT. If you make edits to the update, I suggest making the edits in the document as well in case the thread ever poofs for one reason or another.

- Upload shots to site of your choice.

- Copy the text of the document into a post. Use the spaces provided by where the screenshots were to copy/paste the links of the shots. Edit text however suits you best.

- Post update. Edit OP to link to new update.

As far as video LPs go, I use Fraps for that as well. I've used Windows Movie Maker for editing. It's not the most extensive program out there, but it is pretty easy to use and works well enough.

Adus on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm so not doing any of that.

EDIT: actually, it's probably more like half.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Let's Play Mega Man X2
    -Blackbeard7
    -Video
    -In Progress

You seem to have linked me to G&T sir.

Also, I've mentioned the KotOR 2 LP more than once SimPerson. :?

I may as well add some section regarding X-Com in the OP since people are busting a nut for it.

Still need people making suggestions for hosts / programs / methods for making LP's...

Whoops, had a lapse of retardation. Link should be fixed in my post a page back.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited October 2009
    It sounds worse than it is. Not that it still isn't a bunch of work, but while videos may be generally easier, not all games are good for them. Long RPGs especially. I saw some Youtube Let's Play of Final Fantasy VII where the guy literally read every line of dialogue. I couldn't watch more than a couple minutes of it.

Adus on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Whereas the Spoony review of FF8 (which ended up as a LP, basically) where he basically fast forwarded through the boring crap was extremely entertaining.

Like, fantastic.

joshofalltrades on
  • guarguar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I want to get my Arx LP started right, but I've got some stuff to deal with right now. It will be terrible and no one will watch it, but it will be done.

guar on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I keep telling myself that I'll do a picture based Parasite Eve LP one of these days, but I'm currently working on playing FFIX up to the point at which MoC's LP stopped so he doesn't have an excuse not to finish anymore. :x

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Whereas the Spoony review of FF8 (which ended up as a LP, basically) where he basically fast forwarded through the boring crap was extremely entertaining.

Like, fantastic.

His SWAT 4 LP is definitely his best.

http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/category/lets-play/swat-4/

Shady3011 on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey, my LP of MoO one.

Awesome.

I think I'm going to give another stab at doing FF VI Advance again.

My biggest issue besides finding the time to sort/post eight million images is the tone.

FF VI is hard to make fun of, but too played out for ultra serious. I guess I do know enough about the game to try for a super informative sort of serious tone for it, but I dunno.

Another idea I had was make a serious story driven party (Terra, Celes, Locke, Edgar, Sabin) and a completely goofy second party with forum chosen names (Mog, Umaro, Gogo, Gau) and let people decide what to do with the rest (Cyan, Shadow, Relm, Strago, Setzer)

Photobucket is remarkably staple, but if your lp gets too high of a viewer-ship it can go down. Also I can never get its mass loader to work properly.

infranview is amazing, and it's built in capture to file with control+F11 is remarkably handy. You can even set it to auto take pictures every few seconds.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What's the most modern game that has been LP'd here?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Probably FEAR 2.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Say, is there anyway we can add a LP-request list to the thread?

Owenashi on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A wanted list would be nice... but the list would become huge and LP'ers would feel obligated to lp games they don't even like.

Or not.

I'm just a negative person at times

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited October 2009
    A request list might inspire me to do another since my main issue is I'm just not sure what I'd do.

Adus on
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Adus wrote: »
    A request list might inspire me to do another since my main issue is I'm just not sure what I'd do.

Anything! Your last LP was fantastic :D

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Helloween wrote: »

Well, if Adus' got the strength for it, there's this series called .hack I could point one to...

Owenashi on
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »

Well, if Adus' got the strength for it, there's this series called .hack I could point one to...

I'd be interested in that because while I like RPG's, I'm sure as shootin' never ever going to play .hack. I don't think I could tolerate that level of pain for one game, let alone four.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't know if this counts as a Let's Play or not (probably not), but I'm undergoing a massive project of playing 37 games in 15 weeks. It kinda breaks the rule of finishing a game, but the idea of this...marathon is that I rush to complete games and post about my failures or successes. I post recaps and gameplay vids at the end of each week.

There hasn't been an update this week but it's coming soon (as in, this weekend). I have video recordings of everything; it's just that I need to finish some editing from the past weeks. In other words, this isn't a dead project.

The link to the thread is here.

Again, I don't know if this qualifies as a Let's Play or not because it's not directly tied to one game. It's borderline at best. But it is something about someone playing games, recording them, and adding commentary, video, and blog posts; that may be enough to count?

Trynant on
  • loismustd1eloismustd1e Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would personally love Helloween to do a DMC series LP

loismustd1e on
    edited October 2009

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've gotten many hours of entertainment from your LPs, it's good to know I could return the favor. Though to read through mine, it probably only takes an hour at best. It wouldn't be fair if I stopped now.

As far as .hack goes. I've heard of it, but I know nothing about it other than it's about a fictional MMO. I suppose I could look it up and see if it's something I'd be interested in doing.

I've considered doing Saints Row 2 since I've been playing the hell out of that lately. I personally think that even doing single player, there's enough randomness for potential hilarity. Though I think a co-op run would be more interesting so people didn't have to listen to just me the whole time.

Adus on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Decided today that my next LP after Infernal will be Overlord 2.

I loved the first one and this seems to be even more fun!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg