As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Aion] ITT we argue about MMO lore

• Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Chanter Stigma question:

The level 20 stigma, Healing Shroud (or what-have-you), lists in the description that it restores MP when the target is damaged, but the combat log and the little green numbers flying off my character seem to indicate that it is HP being restored.

Working as intended?

It works, but it also sucks. Replace it when you can. The healing is probably from a HoT you have running.
    TimFiji wrote: »
    I didn't see it in the OP, but is there a way to get a free trial?

The reason it ain't in the OP is because it doesn't exist.

Has there ever been an MMO that had a free trial the first month it came out?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Chanter Stigma question:

The level 20 stigma, Healing Shroud (or what-have-you), lists in the description that it restores MP when the target is damaged, but the combat log and the little green numbers flying off my character seem to indicate that it is HP being restored.

Working as intended?

Can't you just watch your HP/MP bars to figure it out?
    dasnoob wrote: »
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    How is Aion going so far?

As a new player I really am enjoying it although at times spawns can be camped to hell and back. Don't know if that will improve as levels increase or what. I'm in search of an active guild and have yet to find one.

Change your Channel.

To what? I'm in the defaults now except LFG.

dasnoob on
    edited October 2009
    Chanter Stigma question:

Working as intended?

As a new player I really am enjoying it although at times spawns can be camped to hell and back. Don't know if that will improve as levels increase or what. I'm in search of an active guild and have yet to find one.

Change your Channel.

Not Chat channel, World Channel. Poeta, Verteron, and Theobomos (or however it's spelled) are semi-instanced, much like the districts in Guild Wars.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • XaiokXaiok Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Chanter Stigma question:

Working as intended?

Change your Channel.

Open the menu, and then click the Support option, and then change Channel to something else. There are multiple "instances" of each zone, more or less depending on how many people are in it. Each one is separate. Just remember to change channels in a relatively safe spot, I've jumped channels into a group of aggroable mobs, wasn't fun.

Xaiok on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Chanter Stigma question:

Working as intended?

It is mislabeled- it does not heal MP, it heals HP.

Rend on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Press the arrow button in the bottom right to open the menu then select Support -> Change Channel

This opens a new window where you can choose a new channel number and port.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited October 2009
    Rend wrote: »
    Chanter Stigma question:

Working as intended?

It is mislabeled- it does not heal MP, it heals HP.

Even if it is mislabeled... it still kinda sucks :-/

Right now I'm slotted with Rage for soloing. I also have one (I forget the name) that gives me a 10 second 30% damage shield, which has been useful during times when I've gotten jumped.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    Yeah protective ward is handy. I will soon be dropping rage spell as I don't like how fiddly it is to remove when i want to heal.

Also, most annoying game sound: Ranger's creaky bow or SM's flying water spirit balls?

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Adda wrote: »
    Chanter Stigma question:

Working as intended?

Can't you just not answer if you don't have any input?

ForceVoid the tooltip is bugged to say MP but it does restore HP and that is what it is supposed to do. I've personally skipped it as it doesn't seem that useful to me.

Pointing out an extremely obvious way to determine what the spell is doing isn't input?

I'm sorry that you felt stupid for not doing something simple, but don't take it out on me.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    sooooo apparently aion is not available in my country now? thats new...

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited October 2009
    Chanter Stigma question:

Working as intended?

Can't you just not answer if you don't have any input?

ForceVoid the tooltip is bugged to say MP but it does restore HP and that is what it is supposed to do. I've personally skipped it as it doesn't seem that useful to me.

Pointing out an extremely obvious way to determine what the spell is doing isn't input?

I'm sorry that you felt stupid for not doing something simple, but don't take it out on me.

I don't feel stupid as it wasn't me who originally posted. Maybe if you spent a bit more time reading what people were saying and less time being a dick then I wouldn't feel the need to point that out to you.

ForceVoid clearly said he tested out the spell and what the results was, he came in here (a chat thread about aion) to ask if other people knew about it and what the intended affect of the spell was. Telling him to do what he has already done is a bit pointless isn't it?

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    I just saw Elyos referred to as sun-suckers in a quest log. Any other racial slurs I should know that originated in game unlike emodians etc ?

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Interesting tidbit. Oh em gee, they doooo listen!
    While Executive Producer Lance Stites took time to address some of the most prominent issues raised in the Aion community last week, we want to specifically address another issue that is a top priority for the team here at NCsoft: in-game real money trading (RMT) advertisement, sometimes referred to as "gold spamming." These activities are something we're actively combating right now. They are also something you can help us with, and something that we are committed to addressing continually in the future.

We currently have Game Masters monitoring all our servers. They track chat channels closely and have been banning thousands of spammers every day. This form of active monitoring is a part of a much larger network of tools and sensors that we're currently utilizing to help create a better game experience for the Aion community across the board.

If you're experiencing chat spam, there is a way for you to address this immediately on your own and help us create a better gameplay experience for everyone. You can use the Block User feature. All you need to do is to right-click on a user's name and choose to block that user. While this doesn't eliminate the problem, it is one small step you can actively make to improve your game experience. Using Block User also helps us identify spammers much more quickly.

We are considering a number of methods to address this chat spam that have been implemented in previous games, as well exploring new technologies and what they may have to offer to improve your game experience. One upcoming feature for Aion will be an improved chat filter to help reduce the overall chat spam. This filter, along with new tracking and monitoring methods, is the first of many steps that we'll be taking to help resolve the issue of gold spamming.

We appreciate all the feedback and ideas you have been giving us so far. We will continue to scour the communities out there for other ideas as we go. We absolutely recognize how important this is to you and a good game experience in Aion, and we reiterate that we are currently addressing it. Thank you for your patience and for all of your input.

Let's hope this helps out. Blocking people has been effective, but annoying.

Ender on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, I need to hop on and hit up potion making. I ran out of money with trying to armor smith some worthy noble gear so hopefully the stuff I put up on the AH sells.

I'll be trying to make hp/mana pots for the guild warehouse as well. once I make enough money off of armor smithing i'll toss in armor I make as well. At the moment though i'm hella poor

M.D. on
    edited October 2009
    I just saw Elyos referred to as sun-suckers in a quest log. Any other racial slurs I should know that originated in game unlike emodians etc ?

I dunno if it originated ingame, but the Elyos on Lumiel like to refer to Asmodeans as furbacks.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009

I dunno if it originated ingame, but the Elyos on Lumiel like to refer to Asmodeans as furbacks.

yeah I think that one is player made :D

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mnemon-CorbantisMnemon-Corbantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love that the labels casual and hardcore which are presumed to have a dichotomous (if not casual then hardcore) relationship both have a negative stigma attached.

If they were accurate descriptions of peoples playstyles, then this would not happen: people would identify strongly with one of them and that one would have no stigma.

How about you guys give up this obviously faulty dichotomy and think about it as a continuum instead, (a scale) ranging from "barely logs in casual" all the way up to "the world dissappears when I log off".

Then you can say one guild tends to range on the casual end of this scale but can dip into the "harder stuff" and vice versa.

To put it a much simpler way.

Why the fuck don't you guys just say "x is a predominantly casual guild that on occasion does more serious stuff"
    And "y tends towards the more serious side of the game but this does not mean the members are mouthbreathing mmo worshipers because they are pa people and thus can take a joke or two"

You know, more than one word descriptions.

I probably seem extremely annoyed: that's because arbitrary, ridiculous labels are a pet peeve of mine. It's nothing personal.

I always hated the expression "hardcore." I think it is basically meaningless and if that's the only thing you can think of to describe your guild and lure people in, then you're guild frankly isn't that good.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ender wrote: »
    Interesting tidbit. Oh em gee, they doooo listen!
    While Executive Producer Lance Stites took time to address some of the most prominent issues raised in the Aion community last week, we want to specifically address another issue that is a top priority for the team here at NCsoft: in-game real money trading (RMT) advertisement, sometimes referred to as "gold spamming." These activities are something we're actively combating right now. They are also something you can help us with, and something that we are committed to addressing continually in the future.

We currently have Game Masters monitoring all our servers. They track chat channels closely and have been banning thousands of spammers every day. This form of active monitoring is a part of a much larger network of tools and sensors that we're currently utilizing to help create a better game experience for the Aion community across the board.

If you're experiencing chat spam, there is a way for you to address this immediately on your own and help us create a better gameplay experience for everyone. You can use the Block User feature. All you need to do is to right-click on a user's name and choose to block that user. While this doesn't eliminate the problem, it is one small step you can actively make to improve your game experience. Using Block User also helps us identify spammers much more quickly.

We are considering a number of methods to address this chat spam that have been implemented in previous games, as well exploring new technologies and what they may have to offer to improve your game experience. One upcoming feature for Aion will be an improved chat filter to help reduce the overall chat spam. This filter, along with new tracking and monitoring methods, is the first of many steps that we'll be taking to help resolve the issue of gold spamming.

We appreciate all the feedback and ideas you have been giving us so far. We will continue to scour the communities out there for other ideas as we go. We absolutely recognize how important this is to you and a good game experience in Aion, and we reiterate that we are currently addressing it. Thank you for your patience and for all of your input.

Let's hope this helps out. Blocking people has been effective, but annoying.

Except that limed part is obviously false. If they were "monitoring it closely" then how come the spam is so bad that the first minute of login is spent blocking people so that you can even read the chat channels.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • PhosPhos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Except that limed part is obviously false. If they were "monitoring it closely" then how come the spam is so bad that the first minute of login is spent blocking people so that you can even read the chat channels.

If you weren't blocking you'd see that it comes and goes in waves. A quick build up of spam then it quickly goes quiet as the bannings kick in. Then it repeats.

I can't be bothered to block people, I just turn off non essential channels (well... lfg and general) in the "chat tab". When I login I just switch to that tab and toggle anon and I don't get bothered. Nights when I'm grinding or not feeling social I don't bother to swtich to "chat' and leave it on "all" so I see the spam come and go unfiltered.

It's not quite where we'd all like it but to say they aren't doing anything would be untrue.

Phos on
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They should so some IP bans. Sure the people will work around it but it's an inconvenience for them.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Phos wrote: »

If you weren't blocking you'd see that it comes and goes in waves. A quick build up of spam then it quickly goes quiet as the bannings kick in. Then it repeats.

I can't be bothered to block people, I just turn off non essential channels (well... lfg and general) in the "chat tab". When I login I just switch to that tab and toggle anon and I don't get bothered. Nights when I'm grinding or not feeling social I don't bother to swtich to "chat' and leave it on "all" so I see the spam come and go unfiltered.

It's not quite where we'd all like it but to say they aren't doing anything would be untrue.

it sounds like you're never feeling social :P

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited October 2009

Well I am a ranger. Kite/jumpshot/kite/jumpshot/kite....
    Makes it hard to keep up on the in depth discussion of Bleach characters in the ranger channel. :mrgreen:

Phos on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Chanter gets radder everyday. The Sorcelators seem pretty rad, too.

I just wanna hit 25 ASAP so I can hit up the Abyss.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Getting close to page 100....zomg someone cool make a new thread quickly before our banhammer wielding overlords and their Thread-a-loks catch us!

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MeepZero wrote: »
    Getting close to page 100....zomg someone cool make a new thread quickly before our banhammer wielding overlords and their Thread-a-loks catch us!

I'll work on it I guess..

It's almost done. I'll have it up tonight.

Psychoish on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Louie wrote: »
    They should so some IP bans. Sure the people will work around it but it's an inconvenience for them.

I think banning accounts is a better way to go. I'm under a NAT, so if anyone fucks up and gets our dozen or so IPs banned, and no one here can play, and I'd be ultra-pissed.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Putting a separate tab for whispers works fairly well for me. I just switch over and check when I hear the notification sound, pretty easy to see whether it is a legitimate whisper or spam and then flip back. Of course, LFG channel is still flooded, but I also use a separate tab for that too.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are the witchaloks still going?

wavecutter on
  • TreTre Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wavecutter wrote: »
    Are the witchaloks still going?

Very much so.

Tre on
  • flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Witchaloks are now rank 3 as of tonight; Psycho should be posting more information once all the stuff is worked out...but hopefully we can get some more active people as a result :D

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    flammiebc wrote: »
    Witchaloks are now rank 3 as of tonight; Psycho should be posting more information once all the stuff is worked out...but hopefully we can get some more active people as a result :D

Yeah, we just hit rank 3 today. Even though we now have more space, I'd like to do a quick purge of inactives so that we won't have to worry about it when we fill up. Alts are still allowed, I just need to know which alt is who, and I think this will help clear that up because honestly right now I am confused.

ATTENTION WITCHALOKS!

Please PM me either here or on the guildlaunch forum before the 14th so that you don't get booted. Even if you do get booted, you can still come back.

Psychoish on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hit 24 tonight

alright, no sleep till 25!

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    24->25 takes about 3 weeks.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited October 2009
    Well, not quite that long. It did take me a couple of days.

It's fun being in the Abyss now. Love being able to fly faster!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just got an account, what server and race are you guys playing?

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    edited October 2009
    I just got an account, what server and race are you guys playing?

Well, I'm on Lumiel, but if you want to play with the rest of the PA gang there is this handy dandy OP on the first page of this thread...

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Phos wrote: »

Well I am a ranger. Kite/jumpshot/kite/jumpshot/kite....
    Makes it hard to keep up on the in depth discussion of Bleach characters in the ranger channel. :mrgreen:

I learned this last night when I got to play for 20 minutes.

If you want to deal auto-attack damage...

run so u get forward indicator, stop moving, hit attack... the second you see your man lift his bow, start running again, the shot will go off whilst +forwarded

yes u kan haz autoattack

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited October 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    I learned this last night when I got to play for 20 minutes.

If you want to deal auto-attack damage...

run so u get forward indicator, stop moving, hit attack... the second you see your man lift his bow, start running again, the shot will go off whilst +forwarded

yes u kan haz autoattack

Auto-attack damage is a given, and you don't actually have to stop. I just do a quick jump spin or mouselook turn and do a circle around the mob depending on where I'm headed.

Although I discovered the magic of Macros last night. So nice having all my attacks on one key press... now I can actually pay attention to other stuff while doing my thing.

Phos on
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    what level are u / what macro u using?

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited October 2009
    Just off the top of my head
    /skill Devotion
    /delay .5
    /skill Swift Shot
    /delay 1
    /skill Arrow Strike
    /delay 1
    /skill Entangling Shot
    /delay 1
    /skill Stunning Shot
    (this isn't a copy paste so it won't work as ranks are missing)
    I pick a target, press q to initiate the macro, it goes through each skill. After stunning shot I turn on auto attack and start running back a bit until Swift shot is up again. Press Q and it goes through swiftshot/arrow strike again giving errors on the other skills being on cool down. usually a stunning shot and a few more auto attacks finish the mob.

This is at 23, and not something I'll be using for grouping or PVP. More or less for boring grinding/questing when I can't be bothered to jumpshot.

Phos on