As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Batthread

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited July 2005
    Servo wrote:
    Knob wrote:
    Here's what really bugged me about All-Stars

[spoiler:fe0a24316b]
    Batman is thinking about recruiting Robin before his parents are killed? No. Fuck that. He has no reason whatsoever to endanger a small child. Once his parents are killed, Bruce sees something of himself in the boy and takes him in. That makes sense. Not wanting to enlist a child because he's a decent acrobat.

And then, Dick is a twelve year old boy who had just watched his parents get murdered, then he gets dragged off by corrupt cops planning on murdering him.

A giant dude in a terrifying costume grabs him and yells, 'YOU'VE BEEN DRAFTED'

Yeah real sensitive, Bruce. Real awesome.[/spoiler:fe0a24316b]

Actually, in the Newsarama interview, Miller explains that. I haven't read the issue yet (sold out) so I can't comment on how well it's put across in the first issue or if it will be portrayed later, but basically what he said is that Bats is fully aware of his own mortality and is planning on recruiting someone in the future. Dick was like his number one choice, but Bruce wasn't planning on even making contact with Dick until he was probably six or seven years older, but with the death of his parents, he was forced to act sooner.

Alright, that takes care of my first point.

The second point is still really dumb, though.

Knob on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Knob wrote:
    Servo wrote:
    Knob wrote:
    Here's what really bugged me about All-Stars

[spoiler:621d40ec5c]
    Batman is thinking about recruiting Robin before his parents are killed? No. Fuck that. He has no reason whatsoever to endanger a small child. Once his parents are killed, Bruce sees something of himself in the boy and takes him in. That makes sense. Not wanting to enlist a child because he's a decent acrobat.

And then, Dick is a twelve year old boy who had just watched his parents get murdered, then he gets dragged off by corrupt cops planning on murdering him.

A giant dude in a terrifying costume grabs him and yells, 'YOU'VE BEEN DRAFTED'

Yeah real sensitive, Bruce. Real awesome.[/spoiler:621d40ec5c]

Actually, in the Newsarama interview, Miller explains that. I haven't read the issue yet (sold out) so I can't comment on how well it's put across in the first issue or if it will be portrayed later, but basically what he said is that Bats is fully aware of his own mortality and is planning on recruiting someone in the future. Dick was like his number one choice, but Bruce wasn't planning on even making contact with Dick until he was probably six or seven years older, but with the death of his parents, he was forced to act sooner.

Alright, that takes care of my first point.

The second point is still really dumb, though.

He's Batman. You expected maybe a quart of hagen-das and Sex and the City Reruns?

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Pkmoutl wrote:
    I had a fucking Masters in lit
    Probably too late to get your money back on that one?

Yeah, and how about I stuff it right up your asshole.

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Also, for the record, I love you Pk (I'm a distant observer) and I feel you're perfectly entitled to your opinion. I just thought playing the "masters in lit" card was a bit pretentious and lame. :p

Yeah, you were probably right on that one. However, I didn't want to just come off as some random Miller-hating dingleberry, which I am. I felt that in my idiotic way, I had to sort of justify my reasons for disliking him. Kind of like how a guy with a 2" penis will shout that it's not the size, but what you do with it. You know what I mean?

I still think the guy is overrated. Kind of like Melville.

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I just recently read Dark Knight Returns and loved it completely, so what are the other essential Batman graphic novels? Long Halloween's art caught my eye pretty good.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    I just recently read Dark Knight Returns and loved it completely, so what are the other essential Batman graphic novels? Long Halloween's art caught my eye pretty good.

Long Halloween is 100% fantastic.
    Year One is good too, but skip Year Two: Beware the Reaper or whatever it's called. That was kind of meh, all said.

Personally, I like the Contagion, Cataclysm and No Man's Land storyline. Most people weren't really into it, but I thought it was really good.

The Killing Joke is a must, as well.

If you want to, you can read Death in the Family, but it isn't really all that great. The most important part of the story is rehashed about 800 times later on in other stories.

The Knightfall series is a good idea, but you might want to read Sword of Azrael first.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    Zodiac BraveZodiac Brave Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Pkmoutl wrote:

Year One is good too, but skip Year Two: Beware the Reaper or whatever it's called. That was kind of meh, all said.

Personally, I like the Contagion, Cataclysm and No Man's Land storyline. Most people weren't really into it, but I thought it was really good.

If you want to, you can read Death in the Family, but it isn't really all that great. The most important part of the story is rehashed about 800 times later on in other stories.

The Knightfall series is a good idea, but you might want to read Sword of Azrael first.

Agreed on all counts (except I kind of enjoyed Year Two).

I would also strongly recommend Hush. The only part I didn't like about it was how convoluted the ending was, but it's a great ride with some fantastic art. Also serves as a very quick review as to why the Joker is such a hated and feared villain.

Son of the Demon and Tales of the Demon are good intros to Ra's Ahl Ghul.

The Cult is one of the most disturbing and twisted pieces of graphic fiction I've ever read, so you might check that out, but it's certainly not required reading by any means.

Dark Victory is a good read after The Long Halloween, and you can check out Loeb/Sale's other work, Haunted Knight.

Superman and Batman: Public Enemies (and the following TPBs) are worth a read, but they aren't required reading.

Oh, and definitely pick up Arkham Asylum.

Zodiac Brave on
  • Options
    AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Pkmoutl wrote:

Definatly read SoA. Obviously Im bias, but the art kicks the ass of almost all thats in Knightfall/End. Only maybe Barry Kitson's contributions come close. Love all the stories though, but SoA is needed to know where the hell Azrael and JP came from, and why he was even considered as a replacement.

Edit: Also, I strongly suggest either the Knightfall novelisation or Audio play if you can find it. The audio play was made by the BBC and is fucking amazing, im trying to figure how to get it from casette to iPod. It basically covers from Sword of Azrael to the end of Knightsend, and includes some of Knightquest aswell (the stories detailing what Bruce and JP Batman did between Knightfall book 2 and Knightsend). The voice acting is fantastic.

Azrael on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Is the novelization of No Man's Land any good?

Zodiac Brave on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Fuck. Yes.

Not exactly the same as the comics, but all the good bits are intact with some nice extra bits with interaction between the GCPD cops, and the origin of Harley Quinn and some hilarious Joker characterisation.

Azrael was totally removed though. :(

But still :^:

Azrael on
  • Options
    beefbeef Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I'm looking forward to this:
    Batman: Year 100
    http://tinyurl.com/7kukf

It's by Paul Pope and is a "what if" story where Batman is created in 2039 instead of 1939. I have the 8 page story mentioned in the article about a Jewish Batman.

Azrael, the Knightfall BBC performance you mentioned has caught my interest. Where did you buy it?

beef on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Pkmoutl wrote:

Agreed on all counts (except I kind of enjoyed Year Two).

I would also strongly recommend Hush. The only part I didn't like about it was how convoluted the ending was, but it's a great ride with some fantastic art. Also serves as a very quick review as to why the Joker is such a hated and feared villain.

Son of the Demon and Tales of the Demon are good intros to Ra's Ahl Ghul.

The Cult is one of the most disturbing and twisted pieces of graphic fiction I've ever read, so you might check that out, but it's certainly not required reading by any means.

Dark Victory is a good read after The Long Halloween, and you can check out Loeb/Sale's other work, Haunted Knight.

Superman and Batman: Public Enemies (and the following TPBs) are worth a read, but they aren't required reading.

Oh, and definitely pick up Arkham Asylum.

Arkham Asylum is fucked up. Seriously. To date, the only comic to give me some goddamn scary nightmares.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    RockyRaccoonRockyRaccoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    The 2 batbooks i'm most looking forward to are...

The graphic novel written by Tom Fontanna and Batman: Gotham County Line

RockyRaccoon on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    beef wrote:
    I'm looking forward to this:
    Batman: Year 100
    http://tinyurl.com/7kukf

It's by Paul Pope and is a "what if" story where Batman is created in 2039 instead of 1939. I have the 8 page story mentioned in the article about a Jewish Batman.

Azrael, the Knightfall BBC performance you mentioned has caught my interest. Where did you buy it?

Ebay Im afraid, discontinued, but look hard enough and you should be able to get it. They also did a Spiderman one, which I havent heard, but a friend of mine has it and it also features the Fantastic Four and Dr Doom.

Azrael on
  • Options
    VapidVapid Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Hardtarget wrote:
    Servo wrote:
    So uh the Frank Miller/Jim Lee Batman book starts next week.

Anyone interested?

Servo is!

Interviewesque

WHAT?! Oh God. I just... I just came everywhere.

oh.. oh my god. that iterview.. glorious.

i'm going to buy EVERY issue of this new comic.

ok so first of all, u guys are wrong about how Batman knows its not jason todd in Hush. It may be because of his skill, or how he moves like dick, but it really is because of what he says. He says, "All i ever wanted was for you to love me" or something along those lines. Batman always loved jason, and batman knew that jason knew that, which is what gave it away.

Vapid on
    POKEMON DIAMOND : 1418 4085 0727
    Mario Strikers: 266395 286788
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    What about how he mentions that Jason would have called him 'Bruce' instead of just 'Batman'? I thought that was pretty proof positive.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited July 2005
    Vapid wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:
    Servo wrote:
    So uh the Frank Miller/Jim Lee Batman book starts next week.

Anyone interested?

Servo is!

Interviewesque

WHAT?! Oh God. I just... I just came everywhere.

oh.. oh my god. that iterview.. glorious.

i'm going to buy EVERY issue of this new comic.

ok so first of all, u guys are wrong about how Batman knows its not jason todd in Hush. It may be because of his skill, or how he moves like dick, but it really is because of what he says. He says, "All i ever wanted was for you to love me" or something along those lines. Batman always loved jason, and batman knew that jason knew that, which is what gave it away.

Ok so first of all, you quoted some shit that has absolutely no relevance to what you're talking about. This proves that you may not exactly have a firm hand on the higher functioning parts of your brain. And they spell it out in no uncertain terms in the book that Bruce knew it wasn't Jason. Soooooooo, in summary, excellent product fast shipping would buy again A++++++++++++++

Knob on
  • Options
    RockyRaccoonRockyRaccoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    you're all crazy because in recent batman they made it very clear that

[spoiler:fbcc7e5778]it was BOTH jason todd and clayface.[/spoiler:fbcc7e5778]

so you can call be right!

RockyRaccoon on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    The real problem is that Judd Winnick screwed the pooch horribly bad in the Batman universe.

beef on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Has anyone read this?:

1563890364.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Supposedly it's all kinds of awesome, but I'm a bit wary because... well, vampires. A hearty recommendation from PA and I'll order it, though.

Zodiac Brave on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    I never read that, but did find the two follow ups in the library, they were kinda cool.

Azrael on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited July 2005
    is that crimson mist, or whatever the fuck it's called? i see pictures of that new dc direct elseworlds vampire batman, and it looks pretty fucking sweet.

Whippy on
  • Options
    The Nameless OneThe Nameless One Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Has anyone read this?:

1563890364.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Supposedly it's all kinds of awesome, but I'm a bit wary because... well, vampires. A hearty recommendation from PA and I'll order it, though.

:^:

The whole trilogy is well worth owning. Moench + Jones = 8)

The Nameless One on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I have the one where Batman is a vampire. It's alright.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited July 2005
    who the hell is Eric Von Lastbader?

Whippy on
  • Options
    DorkDork Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005

I have (had?) that one, but I haven't seen it since I was in elementry school. What was that one called? I wish I could find it.

Dork on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Dork wrote:

I have (had?) that one, but I haven't seen it since I was in elementry school. What was that one called? I wish I could find it.

I'm pretty sure I've read that Batman gets turned into a vampire in Red Rain, so it's probably one of the sequels (Crimson Mist and ?).

Zodiac Brave on
  • Options
    DudditsDuddits Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Dork wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've read that Batman gets turned into a vampire in Red Rain, so it's probably one of the sequels (Crimson Mist and ?).
    Sanguine Drizzle?

Duddits on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    So Im still putting together the complete run of fanboyism (despite how poor it was at the end) and I just wanted to check, did the Azrael armour multiply or something?

JP was given the armour by Nomoz. Later he modifies that armour into a Batman costume as the System started messing him up as Batman.

Now, after Knightsend Batman gives him the armour with the original hood and cloak and such.

Later, after Batman gives him the silver 'No Mans Land' armour the original one is destroyed in a fire. (because its not like it was fireproof, nevermind the burning blade business)

Later during the Bruce Wayne: Fugitive story Azrael goes to the Batcave and gets his Bat armour. Not only has the helmet been repainted blue for some reason, but its got all the bits that were recycled from the original armour, like the main chest piece.

Then in one of the last issues, Azrael gets what is meant to be the original armour from Brian.

Guh?

Its a pretty rhetorical question really, Im pretty sure the answer is 'Denny got really lazy, and didnt hand the title to someone else when maybe he should have'.

Azrael on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Azrael wrote:
    ...Now, after Knightsend Batman gives him the armour with the original hood and cloak and such.
    Then in one of the last issues, Azrael gets what is meant to be the original armour from Brian.

Its a pretty rhetorical question really, Im pretty sure the answer is 'Denny got really lazy, and didnt hand the title to someone else when maybe he should have'.

I think your conclusion is closer to the truth, but in Azrael #3, Brother Rollo gives JP a "slightly improved" version of the suit after the one Batman gave him was damaged in a fight with 2 wolves. The suit he hands him is shown as a lump of red on the page, so you don't see if it includes new armor or not.

As you said, though, Denny probably wasn't keeping very tight track.
    (I have the full run, but I have not yet read the final issues so I don't know exactly what happens with all the suit changes you mentioned.)

beef on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    so my purchase of Gotham by Gaslight was just delievered to my door.

god bless you ebay. got the trade for 3.25USD.

i look forward to reading it tonight

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Are there any Nightwing trades that comics newcomers such as myself should pick up?

Lux on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Gotham by Gaslight looks neat, as does The Doom That Came to Gotham.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Lux wrote:
    Are there any Nightwing trades that comics newcomers such as myself should pick up?

Well, the first Nightwing trade is A Knight in Bludhaven, so that's probably as good a place as any to start. You might also want to pick up Nightwing: Year One.

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Darth Nat wrote:
    Lux wrote:

Well, the first Nightwing trade is A Knight in Bludhaven, so that's probably as good a place as any to start. You might also want to pick up Nightwing: Year One.

I don't have either of those, but I have the rest of the series. It's definitely an enjoyable series, and it has really given me a renewed respect for Dick Grayson.

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    It sort of pisses me off that the second Nightwing trade, Rough Justice, is now out of print. Why on Earth would they choose to take the second trade of all things out of print? I'm really pretty obsessive when it comes to having all of a series and reading things in order, and it's driving me crazy that I can't seem to locate this book. I'm seeing if Amazon will order it for me, but they're not really reliable when it comes to stuff that is out of print or has to be backordered.

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Try Ebay.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    also if you have a good local comic shop see if they can somehow special order it

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MartmanMartman Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    So I picked up Batman: Year One, No Man's Land, and the first volume of Hush yesterday. Good stuff.

Martman on
    TheFishF wrote:
    dude you going to answer my question or just say words that make no sence :?
    My Mario Kart DS Friend Code: 051-600-286-877
  • Options
    inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    my girlfriend let me borrow a nicely put-together trade, "Batman: The Frank Miller Collection," or something along those lines.

it was the first time i read Batman: Year One, and The Dark Knight Returns.

it was sooooooooooooo good.

inthegray on
This discussion has been closed.