As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Chat Thread Discussion

124»

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    Ludious wrote:
    Alright fine.

I think Faricrazy getting jailed yesterday (or was it earlier today? Can't remember) for posting an on-topic picture of a car was complete bullshit. I don't remember who jailed him.

The whole legacy thing? Was pretty much bullshit in my opinion.

Pheezer: You're a bully.

There. No Blanket accusations. Just straight to the point.

Legacy posted a 700kb file inline. That would've gotten him jailed before any of this ever happened. Dropping a file that large inline has always gotten people jailed.

Not only did he dump a file that large inline, but he posted a random image for the sake of posting an image. This is directly against the new set of chat thread rules.

He very clearly and distinctly broke two rules. One very old one, and one of the new ones. He then proceeded to throw a hissy fit in the chat thread that he's decided to renew today. If you're going to call that mod abuse I'm going to say you're too deadset on turning this into an us and them fight to carry on a reasonable discussion here.

The Faricrazy thing I don't know. I'll go look that up for you though.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Faricrazy was not jailed for posting an off topic image, he was jailed for posting a blatantly too large image and for blowing the H-Scroll completely. Typically a one day offense, and a pretty minor thing, and again, something that happened all the time prior to the changes, and would've happened either way.

If he's been overly long, that's definitely going to be much more likely the result of the mod who handled it not being able to check in, or forgetting, and is something that can and should be dealt with quickly and easily by a simple PM to an active moderator. If he feels that this is the case, right now he could PM and I could check into that, for instance.

I understand that without seeing the reasoning behind those jailings you could come off with a bad impression of them. But you know what works a lot better than stewing away? Dropping the us and them, you're a bully we're all victims pretense and contacting a mod with the fact that you're dealing with just another guy who's helping out solely because he actually gives a damn about the community in mind.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Ludious wrote:
    Alright fine.

I think Faricrazy getting jailed yesterday (or was it earlier today? Can't remember) for posting an on-topic picture of a car was complete bullshit. I don't remember who jailed him.

The whole legacy thing? Was pretty much bullshit in my opinion.

Pheezer: You're a bully.

There. No Blanket accusations. Just straight to the point.

Legacy posted a 700kb file inline. That would've gotten him jailed before any of this ever happened. Dropping a file that large inline has always gotten people jailed.

Not only did he dump a file that large inline, but he posted a random image for the sake of posting an image. This is directly against the new set of chat thread rules.

He very clearly and distinctly broke two rules. One very old one, and one of the new ones. He then proceeded to throw a hissy fit in the chat thread that he's decided to renew today. If you're going to call that mod abuse I'm going to say you're too dead set on turning this into an us and them fight to carry on a reasonable discussion here.

The Faricrazy thing I don't know. I'll go look that up for you though.

You help add to that sentiment directly Pheezer. I've seen you call people children so many times. You act as if you're so adult, so mature. You're definitely a great guy. I'm trying as hard as I can to convey that I DO LIKE YOU.

But bro, you have become a giant cock. There's no two ways about it. You can't argue/debate/discuss rules or anything without questioning someone's maturity. You might very well be convinced that far too many people here are immature, and I'd probably agree with you.

But the simple fact of the matter is, if you go around calling everyone a child, you're only setting yourself up to look like a self important dick.

Mods have an incredibly hard job. They volunteer their time and energy to do something that they don't get paid a dime for. There's really no compensation for the work you do.

But there's a fine line between taking a firm stance and being an unmoving belligerent jerk.

Just stop bullying people around and at LEAST -pretend- to have some respect for that person, even if you don't mean it.

Just because we lack a mod badge doesn't mean we're retarded children. I think, on average, the biggest cock monkey here at Penny Arcade is still about 10 levels above the average poster on any other Forum of this same subject matter. Most of us deserve a bit of respect.

Just a little.

Ludious on
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2005
    Pheezer beat me up and stole my lunch money, but at the end of the movie he gained a heart of gold and returned it with an apology. I'm still not sure where he found that heart.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    TDL wrote:
    Pheezer beat me up and stole my lunch money, but at the end of the movie he gained a heart of gold and returned it with an apology. I'm still not sure where he found that heart.

Probably stole it from a hobo. They are in good supplies of hearts of gold, so I hear.

matthias00 on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    matthias00 wrote:
    TDL wrote:

Probably stole it from a hobo. They are in good supplies of hearts of gold, so I hear.

It was actually a small child. You wouldn't believe how it cried. OH, HOW IT CRIED! BETTER THAN A JAILED FORUMER ANY DAY!

Pheezer on
  • Options
    OzmodaiOzmodai Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I can cry pretty damn hard if I have to.

"GUYZ IM A HIIPPOCONDIRAC!!!!!11"

Ozmodai on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    "Legacy posted a 700kb file inline. That would've gotten him jailed before any of this ever happened. Dropping a file that large inline has always gotten people jailed. "

Um...No it wouldn't have? People have posted that exact gif a few hundred times before without any jailing or warning at all.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Jailed for posting a large gif? What the fuck?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2005
    Posting huge gifs is pretty obnoxious and inconsiderate. I wouldn't have jailed for it, but hey.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Legacy wrote:
    "Legacy posted a 700kb file inline. That would've gotten him jailed before any of this ever happened. Dropping a file that large inline has always gotten people jailed. "

Um...No it wouldn't have? People have posted that exact gif a few hundred times before without any jailing or warning at all.

You do realize you'd be out a while ago if you'd take this up with the guy who jailed you in private, right?

And yes, people have for ages been regularly jailed in the G&T chat thread for posting massive images inline. Usually it's only for a few hours or a day. But that, plus the fact that you're now breaking two rules, and the fact that you keep on whinging about it is keeping you in there.

Either drop it or take it to PMs with Raijin.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    I love how 'talking about it' is considered whining. Other than when it initially happened, I was quiet about it until other people have asked me what happened or you made a false statement like that one.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    Legacy wrote:
    I love how 'talking about it' is considered whining. Other than when it initially happened, I was quiet about it until other people have asked me what happened or you made a false statement like that one.

Now I was the first one jailed in the new Vent thread. Or perhaps second one, I don't kmow for sure. But I PMed OBL to find out how long the jailing was for and he let me out the next day.

My first jailing evah... Just chill about it, it isn't like the world is ending.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Yeah, I posted a link in the old linksville before it was shutdown to a forum post, then later someone put everyone's sig and avatar on the forums I linked to really big pictures of goatse and I was jailed. It was Doc who I think did it but it was no biggie cause they all found out later it wasn't like that when I linked it.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Cardboard Tube taught me to take a jailing on the chin. Or was that a cumshot? I forget, I think he drugged me.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Ashcroft wrote:
    Cardboard Tube taught me to take a jailing on the chin. Or was that a cumshot? I forget, I think he drugged me.

I've seen the video. The cumshot was definitely in the eye, not on the chin.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    The uppercut was on the chin.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    The uppercut was on the chin.
    To be fair, he wrote "JAILING" on his knuckles first.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    For what it's worth, I think the new chat thread is fucking great and it reminds me in a lot of ways why I got so damned attached to this place initially.

Isn't it your 'brainchild' per se?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2005
    Ashcroft wrote:

I ain't ever jailed no one.

Tube on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Ashcroft wrote:

CT is conservative and sticks to old fashioned methods of discipline.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    As an FYI. Legacy isn't the only forumer I've jailed for posting a giant image in G&T, and he won't be the last. You say you've posted it hundreds of times? Well, I've never seen it or you would have been jailed each time. You can ask around, I've got a history of giant image jailings.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I've got a history of giant image jailings.

Thats the word on the street too.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    Narian`Mar wrote:
    I've got a history of giant image jailings.

Thats the word on the street too.
    I'm just following the rules.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    And none of you really see the problem here?

You don't see the fact that one op enforcing a rule and another op not enforcing a rule as a PROBLEM?

Sure. Your arguement will be "a rule is a rule is a rule".

You're right.

But when X Mod says "OH, I don't mind that really, but don't let Y mod catch you."

That's a serious breakdown of moderation.

It's just plain tacky.

Ludious on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Ludious wrote:
    And none of you really see the problem here?

You don't see the fact that one op enforcing a rule and another op not enforcing a rule as a PROBLEM?

Sure. Your arguement will be "a rule is a rule is a rule".

You're right.

But when X Mod says "OH, I don't mind that really, but don't let Y mod catch you."

That's a serious breakdown of moderation.

It's just plain tacky.
    I don't think it's a problem. Sure, one mod will be a little easier on one thing, but they'll hit'cha for something else harder than the other. Isn't that some law of the universe and balance and such?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Either enforce the rules or don't.

It seems fairly simple to me.

Picking and choosing is silly.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    It's damn near impossible to have a group of mods all act in the same fashion. We are like police. Some cops will pull you over for going 5 miles an hour over some won't unless you are going 10 over. We are all individuals with individual styles.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Ludious wrote:
    Either enforce the rules or don't.

It seems fairly simple to me.

Picking and choosing is silly.

YES SIR!
    SURE THING SIR!
    ENFORCING AWAY SIR!

Get over yourself. We all enforce the rules in varying ways and to varying degrees, but we all enforce them. Raijin's not the only one who's ever jailed based on that rule. Some of us might've edited it out in the past instead of jailing. But it's not the past, now you're looking at the first example of someone posting a random image post in the chat thread and getting jailed for that, a matter aggravated by how incredibly recently those rules were posted, and how flagrant the violation was, as well as how inappropriate the reaction was.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Followup comment to my earlier comment in this thread.

The G&T chat thread is veering more towards an actual good chat thread, and more away from 4chan /b/. I'm really really happy about this, and was actually pretty pessimistic about the whole thing at first.

Whether it's the mods taking a more active role enforcing the rules (i've complimented pheezer on his efforts), or the community being once again receptive to an actual open community feeling and attitude, it's showing it's merits, and it deserves some compliments.

Congrats PA forums dudes. :)

On a related followup, i'm enjoying browsing the chat thread more now. :D

Polago on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Ashcroft wrote:

Yeah, CT doesn't waste his time with jailings.

Right to the banning ;)

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Ashcroft wrote:

You made pheezer the boy wonder do it for you, as payment for him becoming a mod by trickery. But we all know who the mastermind was. Oh yes.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    anyprophetanyprophet Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    So this is a chat thread now?

I'm not complaining, I've just been gone for a week and want to be clear.

anyprophet on