As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bomb the Moon, win the Nobel Peace Prize

Ebz123Ebz123 Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8298580.stm

To quote the link above:

'The Nobel Committee said he was awarded it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

The committee highlighted Mr Obama's efforts to strengthen international bodies and promote nuclear disarmament.

What do people think, deserved or premature?'

To clear up the process

Obama was nominated in February along with ~170 other candidates and ~30 organisations

Voting took place on October 5th and the panel voted unanimously for Obama.

Ebz123 on

• SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Didn't Al Gore receive one as well?

Either way, he hasn't really quite done anything yet, so I'll go with premature.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • chidonachidona Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Woah.

I'm not entirely sure, but I feel it is deserved if premature. He has been such an inspirational figurehead for not only his country, but for the entire World - he has really been an unstoppable force that, while maybe being less effective in practical terms than was expected, has acted for a positive change in the Zeitgeist.

chidona on
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Al Gore got it for his work on environmental issues and it was shared with UN's climate panel.
    Obama's gone done nuffin yet, I'll go with premature as well.

Movitz on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Frankly, premature as shit..he may have been historic and gamechanging and stunning so far, but he has a long way to go

but you know, still...WOOO SUCK IT SARKOZY

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    The committee emphasized his work for nuclear disarmament, but also talks about his work for the environment, democracy and a more transparent government.

Echo on
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nthing the "too soon" sentiments. Or maybe the Nobel Prize committee is assuming he'll be so bogged down in American politics* he won't be able to do anything in the future... which is a definite possibility.

(*i.e. conservative pundits advocating violent revolution and such)

Curly_Brace on
    edited October 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    The committee emphasized his work for nuclear disarmament, but also talks about his work for the environment, democracy and a more transparent government.

Well yes. But have anything actually changed yet? I think results should be the biggest factor in deciding who get's it. Otherwise anyone with a soapbox and an opinion could get it on the basis that they're committed to their cause.

Movitz on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nthing the "too soon" sentiments. Or maybe the Nobel Prize committee is assuming he'll be so bogged down in American politics* he won't be able to do anything in the future... which is a definite possibility.

It could be a reaction to the whole "the world rejected Obama in Copenhagen" bullshit too.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited October 2009

It could be a reaction to the whole "the world rejected Obama in Copenhagen" bullshit too.

Elaborate, please.

Curly_Brace on
    edited October 2009

Elaborate, please.

When the IOC kicked Chicago out of the running for the 2016 Games in the first round, Drudge and the other morons claimed that it was a sign that the world was rejecting Obama.

AngelHedgie on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    First reaction? "Oh, god no, this is to fucking soon".

Obama might be an inspirational figure and his election changed american/gobal society for good, but this is too fucking soon.

As a Norwegian I appologise for the suck ups in the Nobel Commitee.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Elaborate, please.

When the IOC kicked Chicago out of the running for the 2016 Games in the first round, Drudge and the other morons claimed that it was a sign that the world was rejecting Obama.

That's stupid.

They chose the best candidate.

Which wasn't Chicago.
    Chicago sucks
    :P

edit: And I will echo the cries of "what? already?"

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd be interested in seeing more of the justification behind this - information is a little sketchy right now. The Peace prize is pretty consistently given rapidly, in contrast to the others. I can certainly see the inspirational angle, and there are a few other impacts that are worth noticing (I remember a few mutterings around nuclear weapons).

Linden on
    edited October 2009

Elaborate, please.

Ooooh! Right right, I forgot the IOC was in Copenhagen.

Curly_Brace on
    edited October 2009

Elaborate, please.

Eeer. No, no I don't think the Norwegian Nobel Committee took into account that some random American dude said something about sports last week

Movitz on
    edited October 2009
    Movitz wrote: »

Elaborate, please.

Eeer. No, no I don't think the Norwegian Nobel Committee took into account that some random dude said something about sports.

Matt Drudge != "some random dude".

AngelHedgie on
    edited October 2009
    Random journalist dude, better?

Movitz on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, though I feel this is too soon, I like to think he'll earn it someday.

So it doesn't bug me too much.

Also, isn't the Peace award kind of the popularity one?

Magus` on
  • BoredomBoredom Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SnL's criticism of him is spot on and this is undeserved.

We don't even know if he's going to be good in the future.

Boredom on
  • fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah this was not in response to Matt Drudge, seriously. It was however magnificently stupid, he hasn't even gone a quarter/an eigth of his presidency and this give him the damn peace prize? There are other people out there who do a lot of good for peace, how about recognizing one of the little dudes that don't get enough credit rather than suck up to the guy who is already in the news every damn day? Geugh

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Premature if not outright wrong.

I do want to see how Beck and Rush respond to this, though.

Suriko on
  • Ebz123Ebz123 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think everyone can agree that we're glad it didn't go to Michael Jackson

Ebz123 on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    I predict some talking head will say this proves Obama is a communist since the prize is given by a communist country.

Anyone betting against?

Echo on
    edited October 2009
    Boredom wrote: »
    SnL's criticism of him is spot on and this is undeserved.

We don't even know if he's going to be good in the future.

This.
    Ebz123 wrote: »

He's done more internationally in my book, but that's not the point.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
    edited October 2009
    Ebz123 wrote: »

Holy god that is awful.

Fortunately the Nobel Prize is never awarded posthumously. You can stop worrying

Movitz on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    People actually care about SNL's criticism? They only did it because there isn't anything they can easily imitate to support their horrible writing.

I mean this is a bit soon but it's out of Obama's control, so there's nothing he could really do about it. Any country can give you an award for something at any time, and you just kinda have to deal with it.

FyreWulff on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Definitely too soon. I like Obama, but he hasn't really done anything yet. His global popularity has more to do with him symbolically than it has to do with his actual actions.

Also, Arafat got a peace prize, so they are kind of incredibly meaningless.

Evander on
  • BoredomBoredom Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    People actually care about SNL's criticism? They only did it because there isn't anything they can easily imitate to support their horrible writing.

I don't care about SnL, I care about the facts that skit brought up though.

If you don't like the SnL reference, I refer you to Bill Maher's criticism of Obama.

Boredom on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    So I'd sum this up as "daring" by the Peace Prize committee.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't think Bill Maher has an opinion that anyone should care about either

It's all of those people's jobs to criticize the leaders of the country

Dude's only been in office for 9 months, you might want to wait for him to actually be around long enough to notice what he's doing after all of Bush's stuff works it's way through the system

FyreWulff on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This just saddens me, despite all the great efforts of people around the world we give the thing to the guy currently running two wars, thinking about a third (Oh Iran when will you learn), chewing out the guy running one of them for pointing out that unmanned aerial drones are not going to do jack when your enemy lives in caves, and who has generally spent the last 9 months getting a lot of not much done.

Is there not some Nobel prize you could give him for being a black president? How about the Nobel Adequacy Prize, or the Nobel Not Sucking More Than Expected Prize?

How about we let him actually do something before we start throwing prizes at him. Although if we end up invading Iran I am going to laugh. How many Nobel Peace Prize winners have started a war within a year of winning?

Detharin on
    edited October 2009

No. Seriously, if you don't know who Matt Drudge is, you've been living under a rock.

AngelHedgie on
  • Ebz123Ebz123 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    Definitely too soon. I like Obama, but he hasn't really done anything yet. His global popularity has more to do with him symbolically than it has to do with his actual actions.

And Kissinger. That said, it has gone to definitely deserving people many times over.

Ebz123 on
    edited October 2009
    Matt Drudge? SNL? Bill Maher?

It's like the irrelevance olympics.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Evander wrote: »

Then again you are not the most objective person when it comes to Arafat, or palestinians in general.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    edited October 2009

No. Seriously, if you don't know who Matt Drudge is, you've been living under a rock.

He is a hack yellow journalist.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Or not American.

Basically the only time we have heard of him over here was when he blew Prince Harrys cover.

Leitner on
    edited October 2009
    Elldren wrote: »

He is a hack yellow journalist.

Who is able to drive news cycles.

AngelHedgie on
    edited October 2009
    SNL was prominent enough to be noted on CNN, among other news networks, the article was titled "The end of Obama's Honeymoon" It's a cultural change, not important to some people, but the impact is still there.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Now I'm curious about Gorbachev, he did some rad stuff. But didn't he also gas-bomb Groznyj a time or two?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot