As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bomb the Moon, win the Nobel Peace Prize

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Movitz wrote: »
    Random journalist dude, better?

No. Seriously, if you don't know who Matt Drudge is, you've been living under a rock.

Or not in America or, in the committee's case, down a fjord. I don't want to rain on your parade but the rest of the world doesn't always listen to all your local political news.

Movitz on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Definitely too soon. I like Obama, but he hasn't really done anything yet. His global popularity has more to do with him symbolically than it has to do with his actual actions.

Also, Arafat got a peace prize, so they are kind of incredibly meaningless.

Then again you are not the most objective person when it comes to Arafat, or palestinians in general.

If Sharon got a peace prize, I'd have brought that up as proof too.

and while my hatred for Arafat is no secret, when have I come down against palestinians, in general? If you actually bothered to read my posts, I am a STAUNCH supporter of a two state solution involving a sovereign Palestine.

Seriously, though, if you want to call me subjective, tell me what Arafat ever did to promote peace.

Evander on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Saiga wrote: »
    SNL was prominent enough to be noted on CNN's front page, article was titled The end of Obama's Honeymoon. It's a cultural sign, not important to some people, but the impact is still there.

You mean those small links on the side with such hardhitting headlines as "Squirrel chases baby" and "Truck does awesome flip"?

And the fact that was an soft editorial piece too?

SNL isn't a barometer of anything. They've always made fun of the president.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Ebz123Ebz123 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Teddy Roosevelt won it, and while he's generally considered pretty rad around here, he wasn't exactly a peace lover.

Ebz123 on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Definitely too soon. I like Obama, but he hasn't really done anything yet. His global popularity has more to do with him symbolically than it has to do with his actual actions.

Then again you are not the most objective person when it comes to Arafat, or palestinians in general.

Arafat was about as commited to lasting peace with Israel as the Israeli presidents were and are. I remain convinced that the Nobel committee decided that a pet on the ass would motivate them enough to really try and make peace now.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    Now I'm curious about Gorbachev, he did some rad stuff. But didn't he also gas-bomb Groznyj a time or two?

The Checen war was after his time, and the gasbombing was from the Sum of All Fears movie adaption. So no.

He got it because he ended the Cold war. Gorbachev, not Regan ended the cold war. Without Gorbachev, Regan would have stod infront of the Berlin Wall screaming "Tear down this wall".

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Also, this will make for hilarious Glenn Beck youtube videos, and an excellent Colbert Report where said videos are ripped apart.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    I remain convinced that the Nobel committee decided that a pet on the ass would motivate them enough to really try and make peace now.

Oh, absolutely. It clearly didn't work, though, and once you start giving out pre-emptive peace prizes, it really devalues them.

Evander on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I do find the irony of the President being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize hours before he bombs the everloving shit out of the moon to be delicious indeed.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Now I'm curious about Gorbachev, he did some rad stuff. But didn't he also gas-bomb Groznyj a time or two?

The Checen war was after his time, and the gasbombing was from the Sum of All Fears movie adaption. So no.

He got it because he ended the Cold war. Gorbachev, not Regan ended the cold war. Without Gorbachev, Regan would have stod infront of the Berlin Wall screaming "Tear down this wall".

I know I did not get it from a film, I must be misinformed though.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I do find the irony of the President being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize hours before he bombs the everloving shit out of the moon to be delicious indeed.

Peace only counts for humans, not those heathen moon-men.

Evander on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Must be a slow peace year

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    also are we entirely sure this isn't a hoax of some kind? It just seems to silly

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Look, if I chop wood for the fireplace I am not waging war on timber. :?

Aldo on
  • Options
    BoredomBoredom Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Elldren wrote: »
    Matt Drudge? SNL? Bill Maher?

It's like the irrelevance olympics.

Then you're not looking at the relevant facts. I personally dislike SnL and despise Bill Maher, but they've both made valid criticisms of Obama.

Also of note is that the latter was a huge supporter of Obama before his election.

The real point is this: Obama has been the subject of numerous criticisms recently, and has yet to accomplish anything. This has been pointed out by the media. For him to win a Nobel Peace Prize at this time is ludicrous.

Boredom on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

and while my hatred for Arafat is no secret, when have I come down against palestinians, in general? If you actually bothered to read my posts, I am a STAUNCH supporter of a two state solution involving a sovereign Palestine.

Seriously, though, if you want to call me subjective, tell me what Arafat ever did to promote peace.

Signed a Peace treaty with Israel outlining the begining of a two state solution.

Wich failed because Rabin got killed and replaced by Netanyahu. We then got 5 years of the Israelies not holding up their end of the bargain, empowering Hamas and weakening Arafat. Then we got the hatchet job that was Camp David, for wich Arafat unfairly got the blame.

Kipling217 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I was about to post along the same lines, though you've put it better than I would have.

Ebz123 on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A handful of not-even-nationally-recognized comedians do not have enough clout to influence the decisions of an international prize committee.

I'm sorry.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    also are we entirely sure this isn't a hoax of some kind? It just seems to silly

Nope. I just heard the official press conference on the radio. The poor guy always sounds so nervous when the world is listening. And in this particular case he probably knew the world was listening and would go "...bwaaaa?!"

Movitz on
  • Options
    BoredomBoredom Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A handful of not-even-nationally-recognized comedians do not have enough clout to influence the decisions of an international prize committee.

I'm sorry.

You're still looking at it wrong. It's not about the comedians. It's about what they said which also happens to be true/valid.

Boredom on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I'm sorry.
    This. I only know SNL because of that thing with Palin, Bill Maher because he appeared on the daily show some time ago. That last guy is completely unknown to me.

I'm Dutch, we only know what happens in Hollywood.

Aldo on
  • Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Boredom wrote: »

I'm sorry.

You're still looking at it wrong. It's not about the comedians. It's about what they said.

It's the internet, if someone doesn't want to agree with you, regardless of if your point is valid, they will just dodge it entirely.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I'm sorry.

You're still looking at it wrong. It's not about the comedians. It's about what they said which also happens to be true/valid.

I don't know what they said because I don't pay any attention to them.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Signed a Peace treaty with Israel outlining the begining of a two state solution.

Wich failed because Rabin got killed and replaced by Netanyahu. We then got 5 years of the Israelies not holding up their end of the bargain, empowering Hamas and weakening Arafat. Then we got the hatchet job that was Camp David, for wich Arafat unfairly got the blame.

I was just reading about Rabin the other day, having not really been familiar with that story before, and it's pretty nuts how close we might have been to real progress. I think it was Friendman who had a column about it?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Do they have a list I can look at where they put all the pro's and con's in their selection process?

Honk on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Do they have a list I can look at where they put all the pro's and con's in their selection process?

I don't think they make it public, they don't even confirm who was in the running.

Ebz123 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I'm sorry.

I don't know what they said because I don't pay any attention to them.

Let's stop this and continue on topic.
    The Peace Prize was not given as a consolidation prize to one man because Chicago lost a spot in the Olympics finale, the idea is ridiculous.

And so is the prize this year.

Movitz on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Really, Arafat just sat there for five years twiddling his thumbs helplessly?

I'm sorry. I've never claimed that Israel is completely innocent myself, and to try to paint that carpet-bagging Egyptian terrorist as the victim is SO incredibly bullshit that I really don't know what to say. Arafat REFUSED to negotiate at all at Camp David.

I'm dropping this after this post, because I don't what to really derail this thread, but seriously, Arafat did a WHOLE lot of harm in his life as a terrorist, so the idea that him just signing a piece of paper, and then giving him a peace prize without even waiting to see if he holds up his end? That's as crazy as giving Kissenger one, or as crazy as giving Sharon one would have been.
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I was just reading about Rabin the other day, having not really been familiar with that story before, and it's pretty nuts how close we might have been to real progress. I think it was Friendman who had a column about it?

I'd be lying if I said that Rabin's assassination didn't play a role in my distrust ofthe ultra-orthodox. I don't blame them all for it, but I also don't trust them to obey societal rules. The Haredim attacking archeological sites doesn't help as well, of course.

Evander on
  • Options
    the megsterthe megster Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay, I get the comments about it being premature, but maybe (in light of past presidencies) they are trying to reward America for not being a war-mongering nation? I mean, we have completely messed up the Middle East for about 40 years now, first over the Communists and now over the terrorists. Let's be honest about our history of Democratic and Republican presidents. 1. He hasn't started his own war. 2. He's tried to slowly end the wars we're in. 3. He's worked more with the UN and NATO in a positive way than any recent President than I can think of. 4. He's come out against increased nuclear armament by heading a UN resolution - which no U.S. President has ever done, and he's ended the plan for a missile shield in Poland.

Maybe you think it's not much, but it's all relative - compared to the Presidents we've had in the past 40 years, he's pretty much a saint so far. So, I get it. I think they might also be trying to communicate to the American people (good luck there) that the international community is supportive of this new type of policy. Granted, the types of Americans who think we should rush in and nuke Iran before they have the chance to build their own are the same types of people who hate the UN and don't give a crap about the international community's opinion.

the megster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Really, Arafat just sat there for five years twiddling his thumbs helplessly?

I'm sorry. I've never claimed that Israel is completely innocent myself, and to try to paint that carpet-bagging Egyptian terrorist as the victim is SO incredibly bullshit that I really don't know what to say. Arafat REFUSED to negotiate at all at Camp David.

I'm dropping this after this post, because I don't what to really derail this thread, but seriously, Arafat did a WHOLE lot of harm in his life as a terrorist, so the idea that him just signing a piece of paper, and then giving him a peace prize without even waiting to see if he holds up his end? That's as crazy as giving Kissenger one, or as crazy as giving Sharon one would have been.

As stupid as giving De Klerk/Mandela a peace prize? Because in 1994 those guys had done jack shit. You know apart from starting a peace prosses after decades of fighting, just like Arafat/Rabin. And one guys terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

Like I said your not the most objective person when it comes to Arafat, so don't claim your are presenting the truth in this matter. For Camp David I would suggest you read Ehud Barack's account of what happend, its not very flattering to either himself or Clinton

Kipling217 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Okay, I get the comments about it being premature, but maybe (in light of past presidencies) they are trying to reward America for not being a war-mongering nation?

If all it takes to get a peace prize is to start the ball rolling on ending one of the two unjustified wars you are currently fighting, well, that is a pretty sad state of global affairs.

Evander on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh you've got to be kidding.

I mean, I think Obama is potentially a great President - one who has made some mistakes, but I still feel as though he could be one of the greats. He has seen some very trying times and is still standing, though a little tarnished.

But to give him the f'ing PEACE PRIZE?!!?! He's running two wars! Now, I don't necessarily disagree with those wars on their face, but really the irony is absurd!

And where is the progress in Palestine? Once again, some factors are out of his control, but come on give me something.

Wow.

Going to love to see the right wing punditry on this though!

Docken on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Detharin wrote: »
    This just saddens me, despite all the great efforts of people around the world we give the thing to the guy currently running two wars, thinking about a third (Oh Iran when will you learn), chewing out the guy running one of them for pointing out that unmanned aerial drones are not going to do jack when your enemy lives in caves, and who has generally spent the last 9 months getting a lot of not much done.

Is there not some Nobel prize you could give him for being a black president? How about the Nobel Adequacy Prize, or the Nobel Not Sucking More Than Expected Prize?

How about we let him actually do something before we start throwing prizes at him. Although if we end up invading Iran I am going to laugh. How many Nobel Peace Prize winners have started a war within a year of winning?
    Is this a joke?

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm amazed people think obama is planning to invade iran

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Detharin wrote: »
    This just saddens me, despite all the great efforts of people around the world we give the thing to the guy currently running two wars, thinking about a third (Oh Iran when will you learn), chewing out the guy running one of them for pointing out that unmanned aerial drones are not going to do jack when your enemy lives in caves, and who has generally spent the last 9 months getting a lot of not much done.

Is there not some Nobel prize you could give him for being a black president? How about the Nobel Adequacy Prize, or the Nobel Not Sucking More Than Expected Prize?

How about we let him actually do something before we start throwing prizes at him. Although if we end up invading Iran I am going to laugh. How many Nobel Peace Prize winners have started a war within a year of winning?

Dude, what in the fuck are you on?

NO ONE is considering a war with Iran other then the nutbars in the Republican Party and, thank god, no one who matters wants to listen to them on that front.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think its kinda unfair to blame Obama for running two wars at once, both of them where started before he was even elected to the senate after all. He can't leave either of them without them becoming worse then if we stayed, so its not like he has a lot of choice in the matter. Credit where credit is due(Bush) after all.

He is however taking steps to prevent a 3rd or 4th war by opening diplomatic channels. Something the previous administration was against. Giving him some diplomatic backing there would help.

Obama can claim to have done one thing to further peace and understanding: He was elected president of the USA. Have we all forgoten that this was kinda of a big deal?

Kipling217 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    peace and understanding certainly have been making a comeback here

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    He is however taking steps to prevent a 3rd or 4th war by opening diplomatic channels. Something the previous administration was against. Giving him some diplomatic backing there would help.

Obama can claim to have done one thing to further peace and understanding: He was elected president of the USA. Have we all forgoten that this was kinda of a big deal?

He also brokered a deal with Russia to decrease the two's nuclear stockpiles and has, at least for now, defused the situation surrounding the missile defence shield.

I still don't think this was warranted, though. The dude has done some stuff, but honestly I'd expect a lot of this from any less-than-disasterous president.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Rogue_KRogue_K Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    imo Clinton should get it for going over to N. Korea and using his pimp magic to free some female journalists...

Rogue_K on
    And through it all i gamed.
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    I guess it's time to rename it the "Doesn't Look Like He Wants to Invade Anyone" award.

Alternately, here's a transcript of a Nobel committee member in bed.

"Ahh.. don't come ye..."
    "I came."

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg