As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NASA Moon Bombing: No Blood for Moonajuana

_J__J_ PedantRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Are you aware of the fact that NASA is bombing the moon?

On the morning of October 9, 2009 the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite, LCROSS, will impact crater Cabeus A. Why? Well, NASA wants to discern how much water is on the moon. So, of course, the best way to do this is bomb the moon to create a lunar dust cloud and somehow utilize the shape of the cloud and magic to discern how much water is on the moon.

Live coverage of LCROSS Impact Event starts October 9, 2009 at 3:15 a.m. PDT or 6:15 a.m. EDT on NASA TV http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

Huffington Post Story

NASA official Page.

NASA picture of moon in targeting reticule:

slide_3050_43842_large.jpg

Because that is comforting.

_J_ on

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Awww man I made a thread too. Which one should we have locked? I figure one is enough.

Curly_Brace on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's about time someone bombed the moon. Now we can get at the cheese.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Moonjuana grows in the shape of a tire!

And I am aware of it. Nasa has done to the moon what the universe has been doing for a billion or so years.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Awww man I made a thread too. Which one should we have locked? I figure one is enough.

Damn. You beat me by one minute.

We'll let the mods lock one and move the content from the locked OP to the non-locked OP.

_J_ on
    edited October 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

We'll let the mods lock one and move the content from the locked OP to the non-locked OP.

No offense, mind if my OP assimilates yours?

Curly_Brace on
    edited October 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

No offense, mind if my OP assimilates yours?

I do not care.

_J_ on
    edited October 2009
    All right, I added your links to my OP. We form 2/5ths of a nerdy Voltron, now.

Curly_Brace on
    edited October 2009
    Woo-Hoo!

This calls for some moonahol!

_J_ on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How will this effect the whalers of the moon?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited October 2009
    How will this effect the whalers of the moon?

They shall continue to sing their whaling tunes.

_J_ on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Obviously since our election of the Obama, who as we all know was created in a lab and to this day requires injections of his native mole people DNA mined from the very hearts of the mountains of Afghanistan and his need for health care reform has begun to shake the very foundation of our deal with the moon dwelling reptilons something had to be done.

As those in the know, already know, since the late 1960's when Sputnik alerted the Reptilons to our presence, and began what some like to think of as "the great space race" the rest of us know it for what it truly was "the great bribe race". By landing on the moon we were able to both put a negotiator in face to face contact, but also delivery them many many shiny gems, which they continue to covet. The technology, and assistance we negotiated has served us well, both in ending the cold war (oh star wars program, if only the populous knew how aptly named you were) as well as finally allowing us to detect and neutralize the brain worms plaguing most of Mu. Returning it to an undersea paradise, as well as preventing its inhabitants in their madness from revealing its location to the outside world.

The Reptilons agreed to never directly interact with the people of earth and keep their existence a secret. We agreed to trade much needed supplies and technology with them so they could return their base to full functionality, as they were lacking several rare earth based compounds. Specifically Unobtainium 236, Plotonium 238, and some Explodium 137 to restart their primary reactor.

After negotiations were finalized in 1972 things have been rather cool between us and the reptilons, they were content to let our species kill itself off before reclaiming their ancestral homeworld. However with the new president trying to pass health care measures that would cause more people to go see doctors, thus exposing the level of implantation and experimentation that the reptilons have been secretly guilty of over the last 50 years they had to do something. Thankfully due to the ongoing efforts of Illuminati scientists we have been able to keep their ongoing biological attacks in check.

While it saddens me to know that so much of our defense budget has had to be buried in black ops for so long to effectively create enough Weaponized Self Assembling Macroscopic Killbots, as well as the delivery system needed to get them through the Reptilon shields. I am amazed that the amount of pushback in all sectors has not alerted more people into questioning what the money black holes have been working on.

Anyway, now that we finally have the weapon, and the means of delivery we can finally end the reptilon menace once and for all. America, fuck yeah!

Detharin on
    edited October 2009
    Though, This bomb will only affect 3 of the moon's 5,000 dimensions.

_J_ on
    edited October 2009
    Okay, links ahoy! From my OP, because _J_ is handsome and popular...

Here is an artist's rendering of the spacecraft and Centaur stage:
    lcross.jpg

Rachel Maddow had an awesome segment on the LCROSS mission, and she interviewed Caroline Moore, the youngest person to discover a supernova, ever! The video segment is on the Rachel Maddow Show site.

(Sorry, I have no idea how to embed that video on here.)

Curly_Brace on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    If the moon keeps up it's swirly antics we might have to use nuclear weapons.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited October 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    If the moon keeps up it's swirly antics we might have to use nuclear weapons.

Wouldn't want to store out nukes on the Moon, though, we know what happens then...

too obscure?

Curly_Brace on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Less than an hour before we show the Mooninites who's boss.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Ebz123Ebz123 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Damnit there has been no second resolution! The inspectors haven't been allowed to do their job!

Ebz123 on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hope Dahak doesn't shoot back...

Falx on
  • ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is a good thing. I am certain that use of this method will uncover an ancient alien spacecraft, proving ACSIS to be correct much to the horror and confusion of many of the members of this forum.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Elitistb wrote: »
    This is a good thing. I am certain that use of this method will uncover an ancient alien spacecraft, proving ACSIS to be correct much to the horror and confusion of many of the members of this forum.

haha don't you dare joke about that, that's how my brother died

L|ama on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Now if we could just discover a cost effective way of getting people and things into orbit our space missions woes would be over.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Reminds me of this.

The world needs more action/RTS on this scale. Brutal Legend might actually pull it off.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    5 minutes until moon bombing

that stream is awesome

FyreWulff on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am glad I woke up earlier than expected. I forgot about this.

SteevL on
    edited October 2009
    Take that moon, you fucker.

Made my day.

Did you feel lucky?

It's just been revoked.

Honk on
    edited October 2009
    Well, if there's one thing Americans do well, it's bombing things.

AngelHedgie on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    well that was... something.

Falx on
    edited October 2009
    Falx wrote: »
    well that was... something.

We just bombed something that wasn't on the Earth. This is a first for America.

AngelHedgie on
  • RandomKitRandomKit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aw man that poor guy in the red shirt. He just wanted to highfive :(.

RandomKit on
    edited October 2009
    I was expecting to see the plume... I guess it's too thin to see with the naked eye, or what?

Curly_Brace on
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom

Dr Mario Kart on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    gotta wait 2 hours or so for the download

FyreWulff on
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Damn NASA to wherever for doing this exactly 1 MINUTE after my shift ends (no streaming at the office).

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Stupid work blocking site.

Scroffus on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    gotta wait 2 hours or so for the download

Yeah, there was another spacecraft taking pictures of the crash and the feed said it would do its download in just under two hours.

And the "boom" wasn't visible to the naked eye here on Earth. You would have needed a telescope to see it apparently. At least that is what I recall reading yesterday.

And if you want a laugh, this is funny :) :
    http://www.examiner.com/x-2912-Seattle-Exopolitics-Examiner~y2009m6d19-NASA-moon-bombing-violates-space-law--may-cause-conflict-with-lunar-extraterrestrial-civilizations

Selner on
    edited October 2009
    Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an MOON-shattering kaboom

Honk on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "As of 9:43 AM, we are officially at war with the moon. No word has yet been released as to the cause for the conflict, but this morning Pentagon initiated preemptive bombing of the lunar surface. One official who requested anonymity referred the sudden and inexplicable escalation against the lunar surface as 'going the full Grenada.' So far the moon has yet to issue comment or return fire, but sources inside the military are saying that these strikes were predicated on the moon's suspected biological weapons stores.

More as this story develops."

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The moon is a harsh mistress.

MrOletta on
    edited October 2009
    Guys. I don't know if you noticed but Jupiter was being a dick earlier. I think we should ignite its atmosphere, we'll see by the explosion wether planets feel pain.

Honk on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I see something.
    chairface-moon.jpeg

Henroid on