As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hulk versus Wolverine motion comic entry

RikRik Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Artist's Corner
http://www.aniboom.com/animation-video/399870/SNIKT-versus-RRRaaaRRR/

Just sharing my 3 weeks worth of work for this Marvel contest.

The comic pages and audio were provided by the organizers and participants added the animation and their adaptation of the art and story.

Thanks in advance if you checked my piece out. C & C welcome.

Here's a snapshot of a "flattened" Photoshop file that I used to make my entry.

somersault.jpg

Rik on

• Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    your credits are really annoying, and I hate motion comics in general, but the worst thing you did was when you tried to tilt/skew wolverine's head back and forth.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks bro.

Rik on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The moire pattern from the halftoning makes my eyes hurt.

Grenn on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The art is great.

F87 on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    because its professional marvel art.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh.

F87 on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Need more sound effects for the fight, and a snikitty snik for when Wolverines claws extend.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    why is the hulk like forty feet tall?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    He is particularly angry, a canadian pissed on his hush puppies.

Mustang on
  • Options
    8BitLoser8BitLoser Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have yet to see any good reason for "motion comics" to exist at all... It's always weird tweening animation that annoying beyond belief... comics should be comics and animation should be animation.

So I don't truly blame you for it being irritating and... well... bad, because that's the nature of the medium which you're working in here.

8BitLoser on
    iBz0aDtohhUJR.gif The Secret Life of a Journal Comic -
    In which you watch my shameful life and hopefully laugh at me.
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think what everyone's trying to say is that what you're doing here is not what we do here.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    8BitLoser wrote: »
    I have yet to see any good reason for "motion comics" to exist at all... It's always weird tweening animation that annoying beyond belief... comics should be comics and animation should be animation.

So I don't truly blame you for it being irritating and... well... bad, because that's the nature of the medium which you're working in here.

"N" by Stephen King is pretty good.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    pittenspittens Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't think if this was done really well I could like it, the moving pictures aren't convincing at all and the zoom on the halftoning is ow

It is pretty um, dynamic? It seems like the sequences could work if it was actual animation :)

pittens on
  • Options
    milknpeachesmilknpeaches Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It was awfully static; there was a good stretch there where they just locked eyes.

The parts with action in them were animated like a cartoon rather than like a comic. When the Hulk jumps up with the rock, for example, you could have played with the idea of closure, imagined movement between panels. You could have played tricks with panel size affecting impact - and now that I think of it, you never changed panel sizes. You mainly just manipulated a set of still images with blurs, zooms, and so on. I think that panning around within a large, single panel would have been far more effective for some shots.

It really seemed like you were imagining it as a movie and only used comic elements because you had to.

A large part of anime is basically animating static images, and it is soooo much more graceful than, say, that Spider-Woman abomination. I know you did a bit of that in your opening, but you could have employed far more anime techniques.

Also, if you're not completely discouraged yet, take a look at Yves Bigerel's motion comics for some other ideas.

milknpeaches on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks a lot for the comments and feedbacks. Very much appreciated.

Thanks for keeping me humble too. Iiiiiii Like It! :winky:

Rik on