As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTR] Lord of The Rings: Online Free Trials!

• NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    After watching some hunters in action in a video, shooting with the bow and stabbing with the twin blades, I have a feeling lots of people will want to be hunters...

Yeah, the hunter comes up as 20-25% of the closed beta population and planned open beta population in every lotro survey I've seen, same as WoW. He's more like a WoW mage than a WoW hunter though; a burst dps glass cannon with traps to get range. The loremaster is more like a warlock/hunter hybrid and had a similar uber soloing ability until he was nerfed hard in 3 straight patches. Champion is the other most popular pick since it's straightforward melee dps and grinds very fast. But there's a good representation of guardian, minstrel, and burglar classes as well so I'm hopeful it won't be too hard to get a group together.

Really the only class that needs a bit help right now is the captain. Only 1 race, too many group-focused abilities, and the developers can't seem to figure out exactly what to do with his pet. Still, about 10% of players are planning to be captains so it can't be that bad.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm currently in on the beta and i've got to say it's alot more fun then WoW ever was. One of the things I love about it is that the game isn't linear. After starting out in the gameworld proper I literally could go from the Elven starting point to the Shire, or even hike up to Ered Luin and get involved in PVMP. Most of the zones with a civilized theme are safe to travel in outside of some of the more contested areas. The environmental sound-track is pretty good too. I was hiking through the Shire with my Minstrel and the soundtrack was playing some happy song on a lute when I crested the top of a hill and came upon a hobbit logging camp that was plagued with spiders, giant bears, and all sorts of nasties. The music then faded out and was replaced by various ominous sounds. It matched the area perfectly. The zones are pretty large too. I'd say that the Shire alone is about two times larger then Silithus in WoW.

I'll be definitely be in OB and release. Probably as a Minstrel too. I can't wait to start killing Orcs with the power of RAWWWWK*.

*Or whatever counts as rock when you're playing a lute.

Archonex on
  • Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dang, I was hoping to roll a Captain but if they are without a purpose, it points me towards a Champion. :(

Oddjob187 on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Unless they nerfed Captains since the last time i played there is nothing wrong with them.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited March 2007
    Guomindang wrote:
    Unless they nerfed Captains since the last time i played there is nothing wrong with them.

Yeah, like every class they're perfectly capable soloers and certainly wanted in groups. I think a lot of players want them to excel at one thing though: healing, buffing, offtanking, or pet functions and they're more of a jack of all trades master of none who changes roles for the situation (burglars have a similar deal, and it doesn't seem to bother them at all, but burglars at least have conjunctions). Sort of how a pally/shammy hybrid might turn out in WoW if there were no speccing methinks though I never got one to double digits so perhaps Guo can correct me.

The other source of complaints is the herald (pet), who has varied drastically in power over beta and who about half the captain players wanted removed while the other half like him. If you like how the class works once you get the herald then I don't think there will be any nasty surprises at higher levels regarding soloing or group desirability. In fact as the least played class you'll be highly prized.

Dunno why elves or dwarves can't be captains, either - it would help with the population problem.

Nissl on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nissl wrote: »
    Guomindang wrote:

Yeah, like every class they're perfectly capable soloers and certainly wanted in groups. I think a lot of players want them to excel at one thing though: healing, buffing, offtanking, or pet functions and they're more of a jack of all trades master of none (burglars have a similar deal, but burglars at least have conjunctions). Sort of how a pally/shammy hybrid might turn out in WoW if there were no speccing methinks. The developers are still talking to the captain boards a lot to figure out where to go.

The other source of complaints is the herald (pet), who has varied drastically in power over beta and who about half the captain players wanted removed while the other half like him. If you like how the class works once you get the herald then I don't think there will be any nasty surprises at higher levels regarding soloing or group desirability. In fact as the least played class you'll be highly prized.

They should have gotten rid of the herald and buffed the Captains offensive power and giving him the herald functions instead.

But its not like its the end of the class

ed: Same with "man only" which is kinda odd.

But there is no reason anyone should say, as far as i know, that they shouldnt choose a captain.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I played a captain to... 8 or so during the stress test. I'd play one again, as a main. I'm all about "toolbox" support classes.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What exactly can a captain do? I experimented with most classes in beta but not a captain. I liked my champion but I'm afraid everyone will want to be one. Lore Master's skills were a little too unfocused for my taste.

Minstrel was ok, didn't try burglar, defender, or hunter.

captaink on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I keep on waffling back and forth between getting the pre-order box and not getting it. I really did enjoy it but it was laggy as heck and the class I chose, hunter, was kinda weak after a certain level.

I did enjoy my experience with a captain though, so I may end up trying that if I do join in.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2007
    I have to say after taking a tour of the Ettenmoors tonight that I think this game could be a surprise PVP hit even though everyone is talking about it almost entirely as a PVE game. I'm actually excited for PVP in a way that I never was with WoW. Regionally contained PVP that manages to have a world feel and massive group battles? I think it's going to work pretty well although it will take a couple of months to get going.

Nissl on
  • AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have to say after taking a tour of the Ettenmoors tonight that I think this game could be a surprise PVP hit even though everyone is talking about it almost entirely as a PVE game. I'm actually excited for PVP in a way that I never was with WoW. Regionally contained PVP that manages to have a world feel and massive group battles? I think it's going to work pretty well although it will take a couple of months to get going.

I just love the fact that I got to level 10, and was able to run over and start messing around as a worg. That was the coolest part ever. Must go preorder. :D

Aurin on
    edited March 2007
    Also, screw every other MMO. LOTRO is the winner.

I CAN PLAY MUSIC

(Not me, but wow.)

Aurin on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    captaink wrote: »
    What exactly can a captain do? I experimented with most classes in beta but not a captain. I liked my champion but I'm afraid everyone will want to be one. Lore Master's skills were a little too unfocused for my taste.

Minstrel was ok, didn't try burglar, defender, or hunter.

Captains can do pretty much anything. They can buff, DPS, off-tank, and heal (?) but they aren't as good as some of the other classes that specialize in one of those.

The PVP in this game is going to be fucking epic once the game gets started in retail. Since the zone is uninstanced you'll see huge 100+ monster groups running around laying siege to stuff while the heroes defend and counterattack. I'm already seeing alot of heroes evening out the playing field (Some players were given the option to create a level 50 PVP only character, but they were still vastly outnumbered by the number of monster characters in closed beta.) by using the various built in defences that fortresses and castles have. Case in point, I was leading a huge fourty man raid on some castle (Ost, I believe.) one day when a bunch of hunters appeared on the walls above us and rained death down on us as we were fighting the NPC troops. The area quickly became a death-trap as troops tried to push through to get to us while others held off the NPC's. They ended up winning because they had the element of surprise and the high ground.

I've noticed that alot of fortresses have little parapets, balconies, and arrow slits for ranged characters as well, so there's that too if you're on the defence.

Archonex on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aurin wrote: »

I CAN PLAY MUSIC

(Not me, but wow.)

Dust in the Wind. Nice. That must've taken fucktons of practice. Provided it's not one of those gay-ass (and very bannable) scripts. I wish we were able to hold notes, though.

So like...does anyone know what time OB is starting on Friday? I've got the day off, so I can basically camp out at my computer all day if we need someone to try to register the Kinship to ensure that we get the name before anyone else does. Have we actually settled on "Tea Club and Barrovian Society"? If memory serves me correctly, it costs just upwards of 5 silver to register a kinship. I'd be more than happy to do it. At least that way we'd have it, and then we could get a list of character names together to be invited to join. Set up a meeting place at a certain time, etc. Sound good?

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
    edited March 2007
    Triple B wrote:
    Have we actually settled on "Tea Club and Barrovian Society"?

I like it, especially since I have a feeling that "Fellowship of the Wang" will not pass muster with the naming conventions. I just wonder whether the length is going to look silly above my character's head.

Nissl on
  • LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I specifically pre-ordered the game for beta access to (Hopefully) join in on the fun with you guys.

Lunysgwen on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Triple B wrote:
    Have we actually settled on "Tea Club and Barrovian Society"?

I like it, especially since I have a feeling that "Fellowship of the Wang" will not pass muster with the naming conventions. I just wonder whether the length is going to look silly above my character's head.

Yeah, we should truncate it to something else.

Also, whoever did the OP (lazy to look) should start a list of players. Also, who's gonna put the Fellowship together?

Esh on
  • electronicmajielectronicmaji __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I uninstalled the game and deleted the installer...

I might think about coming back in a few I just found it insanely boring when I couldnt find people to hook up and quest with.

electronicmaji on
    Top Weekly Artists
    Electronicmaji.gif
    edited March 2007
    Triple B wrote: »
    Aurin wrote: »

I CAN PLAY MUSIC

(Not me, but wow.)

Dust in the Wind. Nice. That must've taken fucktons of practice. Provided it's not one of those gay-ass (and very bannable) scripts. I wish we were able to hold notes, though.

So like...does anyone know what time OB is starting on Friday? I've got the day off, so I can basically camp out at my computer all day if we need someone to try to register the Kinship to ensure that we get the name before anyone else does. Have we actually settled on "Tea Club and Barrovian Society"? If memory serves me correctly, it costs just upwards of 5 silver to register a kinship. I'd be more than happy to do it. At least that way we'd have it, and then we could get a list of character names together to be invited to join. Set up a meeting place at a certain time, etc. Sound good?

It was not practice. People are using macro's and the likes to play music in game.

Oddjob187 on
    edited March 2007

I might think about coming back in a few I just found it insanely boring when I couldnt find people to hook up and quest with.

I never had a problem finding fellowships...

Esh on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

I found it boring, too.

Until I tried the captain.

Now I have shitloads of fun.

Re: the video above... is it only minstrels that can play music? I can't think of a class that would be a worse fit for me, but if there are multiple instruments that you can play with other people (a la AC2), I would cream.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited March 2007
    IS there anyone thats in the closed beta that can log on and check the Alert? There's a link to the CB forums with a detailed list of whats going on in the next few days since I think today is the end of CB.

I cant check it cause I am just some silly pre-orderer.

Oddjob187 on
    edited March 2007
    Hi everyone,

Here's a brief outline of what you can expect over the next few days as we transition from Closed to Open Beta:

Monday, March 26:
    From 7:00PM - 10:00PM EDT, Turbine admins will be on Brandywine and Meneldor with surprises for the players. (Hint: Bring Minstrels. Lots and lots of Minstrels.)
    Tuesday, March 27:
    LOTRO game servers will go dark in the morning and will remain closed until Friday. All player characters will be wiped.
    Wednesday, March 28:
    Beta forums: The beta forums will be brought down in the morning. Accounts created on the Beta forums and associated with either Pre-order or Beta keys will be preserved. All other accounts will be wiped.
    Live forums: The live forums (currently located at http://www.lotro.com/forums) will be brought down in the late afternoon, and will not come back up.
    If there are any posts which you feel should be saved and/or reposted on the new forums, this is the time to save them!
    After March 28th, the beta.lotro.com forums address will no longer be valid, and http://forums.lotro.com will be the link to the only set of official forums. Only Pre-order customers and beta players will be able to post on the public forums. If you had a Closed Beta, Open Beta, or Pre-order account on the beta forums, you will be able to log in and use this account.
    Wednesday - Thursday, March 28-29:
    The forums will be open to beta players.
    Friday, March 30:
    Servers go live and Open Beta begins for Pre-order customers! See you in Middle-earth!

Shadowfire on
    edited March 2007
    Thanks

Oddjob187 on
  • RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ohhh man I really wish I had time to get on tonight. I have a minstrel on Brandywine and wanna know what the surprises are!

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
    edited March 2007
    Ravenlock wrote:
    Ohhh man I really wish I had time to get on tonight. I have a minstrel on Brandywine and wanna know what the surprises are!

Given the hints I'd put my money on large monsters released in major population centers. Stupid work...

Nissl on
    edited March 2007

It's not your claimed issue but I found the lag and combat system made the solo questing game incredibly boring as recently as 3 weeks ago. Both have improved massively.

Nissl on
    edited March 2007
    I just logged in and found a Ring of Agility (+3 agi), and Cloak of the Peace-Keeper (2.0 morale regeneration out of combat) in my inventory. Who knows what else will happen, though.

I remember AC's awesome end-of-beta events, so I have somewhat high hopes for this.

Edit: GMs are in game, leveling people up, as well.

Shadowfire on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Any class can play an instrument. Also, we could shorten the name to either "Tea Club, Barrovian Society", or "The Barrovian Society". Either would be cool to me. Also, I've seen longer names for kinships, and they don't look that bad above player's heads. Also, you have the option of turning off floaty names.

As for the "end of the world party", it's just a bunch of huge battles. Lots of monsters spawning everywhere, etc. They started small, and are gradually getting bigger. I was on a few minutes ago, and word was going around that a Balrog was tearing through Rivendell. Don't beat yourselves up over missing it though, if you couldn't make it on. It was laggy as SHIT, and unplayable for most people.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
    edited March 2007
    Any class can play an instrument. Also, we could shorten the name to either "Tea Club, Barrovian Society", or "The Barrovian Society". Either would be cool to me. Also, I've seen longer names for kinships, and they don't look that bad above player's heads. Also, you have the option of turning off floaty names.

As for the "end of the world party", it's just a bunch of huge battles. Lots of monsters spawning everywhere, etc. They started small, and are gradually getting bigger. I was on a few minutes ago, and word was going around that a Balrog was tearing through Rivendell. Don't beat yourselves up over missing it though, if you couldn't make it on. It was laggy as SHIT, and unplayable for most people.

That makes me slightly release nervous. I remember how bad WoW was, and if a Balrog in Rivendel causes the end of the world. Uh oh. Guess its a good thing OB'ers got some time to get characters out of the noob areas eh?

Oddjob187 on
    edited March 2007
    Dragons and 50 and wow!

Got a port to Rivendell as a level 10, picked up some cool items off the ground.

Suddenly I see dragons, die 4 or 5 times, then suddenly I'm level 50. Slap on some items, tag a dragon as my own, and crash, haha. It was pretty intense for the amount of people, and the dragons were near the port in spot, so I can see why it died. :P Time to go preorder I suppose, it's not letting me back in. :|

Aurin on
    edited March 2007
    Level 50 + level 10 mob + Battle-Shout = hilarity. I seriously did this for 20 minutes, laughing the whole time.

ScreenShot00001-1.jpg

Shadowfire on
    edited March 2007
    Well, that was a good time. I didn't get leveled to 50, but one of the GM's (Hakai) was walking around as a giant at the Party Tree north of Hobbiton in the Shire... he was giving people flying lessons by hitting them with his club. One smack flew me off the hill all the way to Bucktown. :D

Playing instruments is definitely an awesome and long-awaited (for me, anyhow) addition to the MMO formula. The more in-game elements that support banding together and doing more than just whacking spawned mobs, the better.

Ravenlock on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, bugger all. Given that Warhammer Online won't be around until Ragnarok comes, I might just have to get in on this. Especially because my wife will be away this weekend, so I'll be able to dork out in the beta for a long time.

So, just to clarify because I cannot properly read and comprehend written text...to get in on Friday's beta, I need to preorder, right? Is there still time to do that?

Looks like I'll be ordering up a few half sausage/half Milk Bone pizzas to share with my dog...

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    edited March 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I found it boring, too.

Until I tried the captain.

Now I have shitloads of fun.

Re: the video above... is it only minstrels that can play music? I can't think of a class that would be a worse fit for me, but if there are multiple instruments that you can play with other people (a la AC2), I would cream.

No, at a certain level (10? 20?) you can pick up the instrument skills. They don't do anything outside of RP effects, but still, you can play.

Esh on
    edited March 2007

I'm voting for "The Barrovian Society" or "The Tea Club"

Esh on
    edited March 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Oh, bugger all. Given that Warhammer Online won't be around until Ragnarok comes, I might just have to get in on this. Especially because my wife will be away this weekend, so I'll be able to dork out in the beta for a long time.

So, just to clarify because I cannot properly read and comprehend written text...to get in on Friday's beta, I need to preorder, right? Is there still time to do that?

Looks like I'll be ordering up a few half sausage/half Milk Bone pizzas to share with my dog...

Find out from your local store first. A lot of us have run out of pre-order discs, because it's been such a popular promotion.

Shadowfire on
    edited March 2007

Find out from your local store first. A lot of us have run out of pre-order discs, because it's been such a popular promotion.

You can probably still do a digital preorder to get into the beta though, right? www.lotro.com/preorder was the link it gives you every time you logon, I think.

Ravenlock on
    edited March 2007

I got to my local Gamestop last night, they had four discs left. :|

Aurin on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Alright, got the disk, installed, ready to go. I'm thinking a Hunter, probably a dwarf because they rock. See y'all on Friday. Maybe the sinus infection that I've been fighting off will get worse by then.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
This discussion has been closed.