As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] New Calculator w/ Regional Prices (Page 98)

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The first Painkiller is good fun. I haven't played the second one.

Basically, it follows the formula of walking into a room, shooting lots of dudes, and then shooting more dudes, and then moving on.

Also, you have a STAKE GUN.

Try the demo, it's pretty representative of the full game.

SteevL on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    The first Painkiller is good fun. I haven't played the second one.

Basically, it follows the formula of walking into a room, shooting lots of dudes, and then shooting more dudes, and then moving on.

Also, you have a STAKE GUN.

Try the demo, it's pretty representative of the full game.

You also have a gun that shoots shurikens and lighting.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just got shown this, the greatest thing ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qvSb1Al_sE

Henroid on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So it's Serious Sam but with a stake gun and demons and shit?

I could dig that.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I could dig that.
    More or less, that's exactly what painkiller is. However, overdose was made by a different developer and is mediocre at best.

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Redlance wrote: »

I could dig that.
    More or less, that's exactly what painkiller is. However, overdose was made by a different developer and is mediocre at best.

It's still fun, one of the new weapons is great, and some of the level designs are still fantastic, it just felt like it lacked something which kept it from being as good as the original. And for the life of me, I couldn't say what.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    I just got shown this, the greatest thing ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qvSb1Al_sE

The Banjo-Kazooie music made it even better.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Drool wrote: »
    Pitchford seems like a dude who just says things without giving them much though. That is why I am skeptical about Borderlands.

I'm skeptical about Borderlands because you run around shooting dudes in the face about a million times while numbers pop out everywhere.

Then they drop a million guns. The whole thing just looks not very fun as far as shooters go. I honestly hope I'm wrong though because the art style redo really makes it much easier to look at.

Wow, you have a really strange concept of fun, then.
    The latest gameplay videos look hysterically fun to me.

It reminds me of this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIEqcRtVVpk Which was kind of a problem in Fallout 3. Not that that you couldn't get over it and have fun with the game, but I'm not sure Boarderlands will have the interesting setting and characters to pull me along. The art and loot might be enough though.

Drool on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OH MY GOD FUCK THIS GAME ITS SO UNREALISTIC

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It's not even about realism. It's about expectations of the player not matching with the reality of the game. When you've played shooters forever you expect things to behave a certain way. It can make a good shooter feel weird when they don't.

Drool on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's not even about realism. It's about expectations of the player not matching with the reality of the game. When you've played shooters forever you expect things to behave a certain way. It can make a good shooter feel weird when they don't.

That's true in about every game though. I mean, how does one person get better at doing damage with a gun by putting more points into a gun skill? At that point the feeling of reality should be completely gone anyway.

Plus if Headshot = kill in FO3 it would be incredibly boring and easy.

urahonky on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But really, FO3 was far more of a failure as an RPG than an FPS. Diablo had a more compelling story

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The guy used a pistol in shitty condition with what looks like 1 damage. What does he expect? Shitty weapons usually don't have few hit kills even with headshots in most FPS games except for the mooks.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OH MY GOD FUCK THIS GAME ITS SO UNREALISTIC

well its more like that wouldnt be that fun...

Sueve on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Redlance wrote: »

I could dig that.

It's still fun, one of the new weapons is great, and some of the level designs are still fantastic, it just felt like it lacked something which kept it from being as good as the original. And for the life of me, I couldn't say what.

You mean like being a good game

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Also I don't know how far I trust this new Painkiller game

It's a different developer composed of both former People Can Fly alumni and Painkiller modders, which means they might have some people who worked on Overdose on this shit

I'd remain skeptical until I see some reviews

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pitchford seems like a dude who just says things without giving them much though. That is why I am skeptical about Borderlands.

I'm skeptical about Borderlands because you run around shooting dudes in the face about a million times while numbers pop out everywhere.

Then they drop a million guns. The whole thing just looks not very fun as far as shooters go. I honestly hope I'm wrong though because the art style redo really makes it much easier to look at.

Wow, you have a really strange concept of fun, then.
    The latest gameplay videos look hysterically fun to me.

It reminds me of this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIEqcRtVVpk Which was kind of a problem in Fallout 3. Not that that you couldn't get over it and have fun with the game, but I'm not sure Boarderlands will have the interesting setting and characters to pull me along. The art and loot might be enough though.
    They have mods to make headshots kill in one shot. It didn't make my game seem very fun though.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Here's my serious take on Fallout 3 and the VATS / RPG aspect.

First of all, weapon condition and your skill with that weapon affects your damage output (and accuracy). That video didn't state what difficulty it was on (unless it's in the comments, I didn't check), which of course alludes to higher difficulties having enemies with higher HP counts.

It's not that FPS games don't work with RPG aspects, it's that they aren't your thing or you're exaggerating the situation like that video did. I'm sure the guy is dead set on headshots meaning you kill something in a game right away. That's gravy and all, but realize that it's your desire for fast paced high stakes in a game that's driving your opinion, not the game being "wrong" or "not working."

When I played Fallout 3 (before my roomie took it with him when he left D: ) I almost never used VATS. It kept the game fast-paced still and challenging, and removed the automated processes of combat.

By the way, caravan guards are pretty strong from what I understand.

So again, that video is just so goddamn exaggerated.

Edit - And y'know, I don't remember Fallout 3 being advertised as, "Hey this is a first person shooter." It's "Hey, this is Fallout fucking 3." If you went into it thinking, "Rad, this is gonna be like Doom" or some shit, it's your fault for having a misconception that poor - though, only because it's a series with previous games that would obviously influence this game's design.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    UPDATE: I just learned that apparently People Can Fly got bought out by Epic, and is currently working on an undisclosed project that will use UE3, but apparently Epic is leaving them alone to do it

Which is good! I guess

But it means Resurrection is probably going be not good, with almost no one from the old game working on it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Here's my serious take on Fallout 3 and the VATS / RPG aspect.

First of all, weapon condition and your skill with that weapon affects your damage output (and accuracy). That video didn't state what difficulty it was on (unless it's in the comments, I didn't check), which of course alludes to higher difficulties having enemies with higher HP counts.

It's not that FPS games don't work with RPG aspects, it's that they aren't your thing or you're exaggerating the situation like that video did. I'm sure the guy is dead set on headshots meaning you kill something in a game right away. That's gravy and all, but realize that it's your desire for fast paced high stakes in a game that's driving your opinion, not the game being "wrong" or "not working."

When I played Fallout 3 (before my roomie took it with him when he left D: ) I almost never used VATS. It kept the game fast-paced still and challenging, and removed the automated processes of combat.

By the way, caravan guards are pretty strong from what I understand.

So again, that video is just so goddamn exaggerated.

People like the kind that made that video would, if the situation were reversed, be bitching that headshots make the game too easy and unchallenging and thus why fps can't have rpg or whatever.

Its no win.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    To be fair, that guys says in the video he still likes the game. I think he's just pointing something kinda odd about the juxtoposition of genres.

Of course, it's also just a problem with the Fallout games in general. In the first two you can still shoot someone in the eyes four or five times and just end up pissing them off.

august on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I was just using the Fallout video as an example of the problem inherent in fps/rpg hybrids.

Players expect a certain sort of feedback when playing a game from first person perspective, especially a shooter. Since there are numbers being crunched you can't give the kind of immediate feedback most shooters give.

There are reasons weapons in the best FPS games feel powerful and dangerous. A lot of it has to do with the sounds, animations and enemy reactions, but also because if you shoot something a couple times it dies.

You can't do that in an RPG because of the expectations that genre brings. I'm sure there is a solution, maybe the guys a Gearbox found it, but the videos I've seen don't look all that impressive or even all that fun. I hope I'm wrong, but I get a sinking feeling every time I see a gameplay video.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You need to realize that when a game is a hybrid of different genres, it's not going to adhere to either genre purely. So you need to immediately abandon your perception and look at what's actually there. Fallout 3, while it uses an FPS gameplay style for fighting, is not strictly an FPS. It's a game with shit to do, places to explore, people to talk to, etc.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Obviously, but that doesn't make it feel any less weird when I play it.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Edit - And y'know, I don't remember Fallout 3 being advertised as, "Hey this is a first person shooter." It's "Hey, this is Fallout fucking 3." If you went into it thinking, "Rad, this is gonna be like Doom" or some shit, it's your fault for having a misconception that poor - though, only because it's a series with previous games that would obviously influence this game's design.

And that's exactly why I said that it failed as an RPG more. Not trying to NMA myself out of the conversation here, but they advertised it as them finally paying attention to actually having a real story and actually have consequences for your actions, but it really was just like Oblivion with less rewards for exploration...
    Bah, I can't control it
    And guns :P

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    almighty_monkeyalmighty_monkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've still never played fallout 3, so this is no comment on the gameplay obviously but...

That video did make me laugh. Out loud. Well. It wasn't really a laugh, it was more of a snort, but still.

I generally tend to dislike action/RPG hybrids because for the first half of the game, whenever you get out a sniper rifle, your character seems to sneak in 5 shots of Absenth when your not looking and therefore is swaying around like some sort of drunken hobo-assasain.

almighty_monkey on
    Guitar!
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have you ever tried to hold a sniper rifle still?

They are very large and cumbersome.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Spoit wrote: »

And that's exactly why I said that it failed as an RPG more. Not trying to NMA myself out of the conversation here, but they advertised it as them finally paying attention to actually having a real story and actually have consequences for your actions, but it really was just like Oblivion with less rewards for exploration...
    Bah, I can't control it
    And guns :P

I'd say that Fallout 3 had a badly implemented story, but as a game in general it was a lot tighter in feel than Oblivion. Where Fallout 3 succeeds as an RPG isn't its story, it's the massive open world "go anywhere, do what you want" style and the awesome atmosphere that went with it. They really captured a great feel of wandering the wastes alone. I can't say there were less rewards for exploration, to me it felt like the reward was the exploration. And this is coming from a guy who usually hates that kind of stuff, but Fallout managed it really well. There was always this constant sensation of "hey, what's that thing over there", and then you'd be occupied for the next few hours just seeing where your feet took you and what was there when you arrived.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Except that, unlike oblivion, there's no real reward to the exploration. You have one weapon for each archetype and a single slightly better unique version of it. The armor was a bit better with variety, but it was still only a handful of variations for each type. Maybe it's just me, but I don't find a few carefully arranged decals, or even a holotape, very rewarding for trudging through a whole dungeon.

And I can't think of any quests that were anywhere near the quality of the dark brotherhood line. Despite the guy in charge of that quest line being one of the lead developers.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fallout 3 was a better Oblivion game than Oblivion was, that much is for certain

It's writing was awful, though

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    Except that, unlike oblivion, there's no real reward to the exploration. You have one weapon for each archetype and a single slightly better unique version of it. The armor was a bit better with variety, but it was still only a handful of variations for each type. Maybe it's just me, but I don't find a few carefully arranged decals, or even a holotape, very rewarding for trudging through a whole dungeon.

And I can't think of any quests that were anywhere near the quality of the dark brotherhood line. Despite the guy in charge of that quest line being one of the lead developers.

Like I said, the exploration was the payoff, at least for me. It certainly felt varied enough to keep me interested, which is more than most games manage with me, they always seem to be more along the lines of "hey, sandbox world, so it's OK if we don't do anything here, make your own fun."

The writing was most certainly bad. All things considered that was the part that annoyed me the most, because outside of exploring the post-apocalypse, it was the writing that really got me into the first two games, the characters and the situations were a lot more interesting. I mean you don't even need to look any further than comparing Ron Perlman's monologues from the first two games with the third. They don't even compare.

subedii on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just played through the main story of F3 the first time a few days ago.
    Yeah it's pretty bad.

Plus I kept on expecting interesting twists that never came. First of all, usually when a work of science fiction quotes Revelations 21:6 it's in the context of some weird cloning/immortality shit. And with you looking so much like your father... yeah. Boy did that not pan out.

Then you find out James is a Wastelander and that's pretty cool but then I was like "How the fuck did he get in a permanently sealed vault?" And then I tought "Wait who's in charge of the Vault project... the Enclave... holy shit dad's a rouge Enclave agent."

And then that didn't pan out. Although if I had paid more attention to the logs before you leave I probably would have figured out that the explanation was a lot more mundane.

And it really didn't help that the vo for every single Brotherhood character is fucking boring as shit. Was I supposed to care about Sara Lyons? Because let me tell you boy howdy did you guys not pull that one off.

august on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You lot think there's any chance of Prototype and Batman going on a Steam sale anytime soon?

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't see a Batman one happening anytime soon. Don't know about prototype, but if not on steam, I'm seeing it being a good candidate for a black friday sale.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Prototype, yes. Batman, no.

I mean, both will end up with discounts at end-of-year, but I wouldn't expect anything more than a token discount on Batman until next year.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Batman is worth every cent at full price, just do yourself a favor and buy it.

Prototype looks like poo from a butt.

Drool on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Prototype is pretty awesome, but Batman is most definitely worth full price. Especially considering how fucking great the PC version is.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not entirely sure why I don't have Batman, but part of the reason is that I'd prefer to have it on Steam, but it'd be significantly cheaper to get a retail copy.

Peewi on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I still can't decide if I want to bite on Empire: Total War. Only have one day to decide.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
This discussion has been closed.