As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

D&D [Chess] Tournament on hold temporarily. Details page 15.

Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C ERegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, I bet you all think you're some smart motherfuckers.

Well it's time to man (or woman) up.

Can you compete in one of the most strategic games ever?

No luck! Pure strategy! Can you handle it?

Nut up or shut up, folks. It's time for some motherfuckin' chess.

Basic Information

I'm now taking signups for a D&D chess tournament. I will take as many people as sign up between now and sometime on Monday when I close signups. If we're really close to one of the magic tournament numbers, like 8, 16, or 32, I'll probably end up turning away the few extra folks that will get me to that number. Otherwise, we'll work out some sort of qualifying round thingy.

Note: This could take awhile to get done. I considered having everybody do it via something like gameknot, wherein you have a long time (like, a couple days) to make each move, but in the interest of not taking FOR-FUCKING-EVER and having people lose interest, I think I'm going to try to make you guys play via Yahoo or something.

More Specific Information

Okay, here's how this is going to work.

We will be using the Swiss System for this tournament. We don't really have a time limit here, so I'm willing to take my time making sure we get some decent rankings for the initial pairings.

Once signups close, I will pair you guys randomly. You will play 4 games against 4 different random opponents. Your record will determine your starting rating for the tournament.

Once you have been assigned an opponent, you have 3 days to complete a game, in whatsoever method you choose. If you have not completed your game within 3 days, you will both receive 0 points, as if you had both lost your game. If you have mitigating circumstances that prevent you from finishing within 3 days, let me know.

Note that the Swiss System means that there will be no eliminations. The number of rounds once we get to the actual tournament will depend on how many people sign up, but if you participate, you will play in all rounds. Withdrawals really hurt the tournament, and you can't really have "reserves" for a chess tournament. So please, if you sign up, plan on playing through the whole tournament, and not just the first part.

Chess Playin' Sites

Yahoo
Pogo

Both of those sites, and several others I'm sure, allow you to play chess in real time using a Java program of some kind. Best if you're planning on sitting down with your partner and playing out your game immediately.

GameKnot

This site is sort of like Play by Post for chess. Essentially, you start a game, and make a move, and then you can go do something while your opponent moves. It's a little bit slower than the Java chess if both parties are present, but it's a lot better if you have conflicting schedules or something that don't allow you both to be present at the same time for long. They don't care how long you take between moves. Just remember that you have to finish your game within 3 days.

Feel free to post your own favorite website in this thread!

Other Miscellaneous Stuff

Don't use a clock for any of your games. All games have unlimited time aside from the 3-day deadline. None of this "one-minute speed chess" bullshit.

Copy/pasting your notation is optional, but it's cool if you do so the rest of us can see how your game went.

Participants

SniperGuy 2
garroad_ran 2
visiblehowl 2
SanderJK 2

Thanatos 1
cj iwakura 1
Coinage 1
Dunadan019 1
Greeper 1
BobCesca 1

Dyscord 0
Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo 0
WMain00 0
Taranis 0
Evil Multifarious 0
Nerissa 0
Timothy Leary 0
Variable 0
AJAlkaline40 0
Speed Racer 0
Goumindang 0
101 0

First Qualifying Round

White vs Black
(1) visiblehowl vs (18) Speed Racer
(2) BobCesca vs (17) AJAlkaline40
(3) SanderJK vs (24) Greeper
(16) Aegis vs (4) Dyscord
(5) evilbob vs (15) Variable
(6) Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo vs (21) garroad_ran
(7) WMain00 vs (20) SniperGuy
(8) redx vs (22) Dunadan019
(9) Taranis vs (19) Coinage
(10) Evil Multifarious vs (13) Thanatos
(11) Nerissa vs (14) cj iwakura
(12) Timothy Leary vs (23) JamesKeenan

Second Qualifying Round

White vs. Black

Speed Racer vs. JamesKeenan
cj iwakura vs. redx
Dyscord vs. WMain00
evilbob vs. Dunadan019
garroad_ran vs. Nerissa
Thanatos vs. Aegis
Evil Multifarious vs. visiblehowl
Variable vs. SanderJK
BobCesca vs. Coinage
SniperGuy vs. Taranis
AJAlkaline40 vs. Greeper
Timothy Leary Come Check Out This Theory vs. Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo

Tournament - First Round

visiblehowl vs. Nerissa
Taranis vs. garroad_ran
SniperGuy vs. Speed Racer
Variable vs. SanderJK
Thanatos vs. Winky
Dyscord vs. cj iwakura
Coinage vs. Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo
Evil Multifarious vs. Dunadan019
zeeny vs. Timothy Leary Come Check Out This Theory
WMain00 vs. BobCesca
101 vs. Goumindang

vRyue2p.png
Hi I'm Vee! on

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !sign up

BobCesca on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll play, though I would vastly prefer my matches to be be roughly between 09.00 and 18.00 EST (15.00 - 0.00 CET). Thinking straight later at night just doesn't really work for me.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I'll play, though I would vastly prefer my matches to be be roughly between 09.00 and 18.00 EST (15.00 - 0.00 CET). Thinking straight later at night just doesn't really work for me.
    I'm thinking each pair of opponents can work out for themselves when they'll play each other. Coordinating two people's schedules shouldn't be prohibitively difficult, and if it is I'm sure we can figure something out.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I haven't played chess in years, but I suppose I could do a game

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have hardly played in the last 5 years but I'll have a go.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !sign up

Any word on the program that will be used though?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !sign up

I've been practising more recently so i'll give it a shot.

WMain00 on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !sign up , or whatever. It's been a long while, and I've seen people in here play chess, so I'm not expecting too much.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I thought this was a CHEESE tournament, but it wasn't and now I'm a bit disappointed.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !sign up

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !sign up

Evil Multifarious on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love chess but I suck balls at it. I'm like a 700 on Chessmaster. Chess is pretty to look at too. I have a House of Staunton tournament kit. Someday I'll get one of the prettier sets.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I suck at chess, but what the hell...

!sign up

You might want to ask Than what he used when he ran one in CF (except it was ODaM then), I'm thinking it was GameKnot. Anyway, it worked out pretty well, I think each round was like 3 days or a week or something where every pair had to coordinate their game and report it.

Nerissa on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man I am terrible at chess, but awesome at !Sign up

TL DR on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Additional information added to the OP.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, sure, I'm in.

Thanatos on
    edited October 2009
    Oh also, please double check to make sure your name is on the list. Some people have posted in here, but I'm not sure if they're signups or not. If your name isn't on the list, and you think it should be, please make a post wherein it is obvious that you intend to sign up for the tournament.

Using bright, pretty colors always works.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !all in

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    gotta !sign up

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited October 2009
    Almost to 16!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm so rusty.

But I still want to see Thanatos go down in flames! Signup!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    !nut up

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am not a very good Chess player but sign me up anyway.

Speed Racer on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would love to be crushed by someone at chess, sign me up.

Coinage on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !sign up

Oh HELL yes. I love me a good game of chess.

...I may have been in Chess club. Shut up.

SniperGuy on
  • garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I haven't had a good game of chess in AGES.

garroad_ran on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am a chess grand master
    Ok, I'm not but I play every day so that has to count for something.

Dunadan019 on
    edited October 2009
    I'm going to advertise this in [chat] one more time and then let it sit for a bit, and then I'll close signups and get the first matchups out there.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A suggestion: Might be nice to set up a poule system, say groups of 4 or 5, so everyone is able to play at least 3 or 4 matches. You could give say 2 weeks for people to get theirs in? (It also makes it easier to fit the roster if it's not exactly 2^x).

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !Sign Up

JamesKeenan on
    edited October 2009
    SanderJK wrote: »
    A suggestion: Might be nice to set up a poule system, say groups of 4 or 5, so everyone is able to play at least 3 or 4 matches. You could give say 2 weeks for people to get theirs in? (It also makes it easier to fit the roster if it's not exactly 2^x).
    Well, I'm using the Swiss system, so there's no elimination, plus it doesn't need to be exactly 2^x to get a winner. Everybody will get to play the same number of total games (which I think will be 9; 4 for the qualifiers, and then 5 tournament rounds).

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Last chance?

Aww what the hell. I sign up!

Greeper on
    edited October 2009
    Alright, I think I'm going to close signups here. 24 is a good round number.

I'll have pairings out in a bit.

Note: If you still want to sign up, find a partner, and I'll let both of you in and you can play each other as your first qualifying game.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited October 2009
    First Qualifying Round

White vs Black
    (1) visiblehowl vs (18) Speed Racer
    (2) BobCesca vs (17) AJAlkaline40
    (3) SanderJK vs (24) Greeper
    (4) Dyscord vs (16) Aegis
    (5) evilbob vs (15) Variable
    (6) Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo vs (21) garroad_ran
    (7) WMain00 vs (20) SniperGuy
    (8) redx vs (22) Dunadan019
    (9) Taranis vs (19) Coinage
    (10) Evil Multifarious vs (13) Thanatos
    (11) Nerissa vs (14) cj iwakura
    (12) Timothy Leary vs (23) JamesKeenan

Note: The numbers before each name don't mean seeding or anything (yet). They're just there to make it easier for me to match people up in future rounds.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited October 2009
    Alright, the deadline for the first round is Thursday, October 15th at 5pm Pacific/8pm Eastern. Some leeway will be given, particularly if I'm home late for some reason.

For those in strange non-American time zones, the time now is about 3:30pm Pacific time. So, add an hour and a half and then 3 days to the time of this post and that's the deadline.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    so do we just talk amongst ourselves and figure out a way to play the game?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    so do we just talk amongst ourselves and figure out a way to play the game?
    Yep. You can use one of the sites in the OP, or another site somewhere else. You can even play in person if you live close enough.

So long as you don't use a timer, and the proper person is white/black, all I need from you is a result confirmed by both parties in the thread.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yo Dyscord, we could try doing ours on Pogo tonight if you're around.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited October 2009
    I could play tonight but maybe not until kind of late (west coast.) Like 8pm or so

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Sure, just toss me a PM. I'll be around.

Aegis on
    Characters