As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help, OS won't boot no mo'

SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
Okay, this is strange, but just now when I tried to boot up my PC, it goes through the whole load deal, but then it stops after Verifying DMI Pool Data to tell me 'Error Loading OS'.

What could cause this, because my wife was on it just this morning and it was working fine? Would using my Vista CD to reinstall or whatever help fix the issue, or could it be something worse?

steam_sig.png
SoulGate on

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So does the Windows loading screen come up?

If not, go to the recovery console on the CD and type in the commands BOOTFIX and MBRFIX.

Or maybe its FIXBOOT and FIXMBR. Idno. The worst that happens if you type the wrong one in is the message "Command not found" so knock yourself out.

theSquid on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, stuck my CD in there, and there was no recovery console or anything. It automatically assumed I wanted to reinstall Vista. So must be the HD got corrupted somehow, and affected Vista enough to not boot. Must have been a trojan. Will a reinstall format the harddrive, therefore cleaning it out for good? Luckily my games weren't on it, but all my music and pictures were. :(

EDIT: reinstall was a failure. The screen freezes for about 10 minutes, then it pops up saying the instillation was canceled.
    After a restart, it stops at the Verifying DMI Pool Data and now it tells me 'NTLDR' is missing', and to Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Do I have a bad harddrive now? D:

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png