As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Graphics Card Automatic Fan Control Failure OR how much I hate PC gaming

OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it?the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
So I'm at my wits end and I turn to you, PA forums

I have apparently lost automatic fan control on my GeForce 8800 GT graphics card

It started happening just yesterday. I was attempting to play Fallout 3 for the first time in a while when it blue screened. My computer hasn't blue screened in years, and it continued to do so two more times before I figured out what the problem was - the graphics card fan

But see, the fan works! When I turn the goddamn thing on (after it's blue screened) the fan clearly whirrs up and makes noise

So I download the Nvidia Control Panel to try and fix this shit and the System Monitor to check the temperature, and lo and behold it's over 70 degrees celsius. I find the option to manually adjust the fan in the Control Panel and I do so, and it works! Hurrah!

But why doesn't it work on it's own? I've spent hours fiddling with it, creating rules that clearly state that the fan should speed up as the temperature rises, I've created profiles where the fan speed is 100% that should be loaded when the GPU temperature rises above a certain point, I've done everything I possibly can and yet the goddamn thing will not work on it's own. I guess those "rules" are more like "suggestions" to this goddamn card

The only solution I can see now is to manually set it to like 90% before I start a game, but that's horse shit because I've never had to do that before, it's worked fine for years, and there's nothing wrong with it that I can see! Besides, isn't overworking it a consideration?

I ask you, gentle people: is there a way to fix this problem?

edit: upon further investigation this probably should have gone in help and advice, but I figured this was the place to ask for tech help. Oops!

signature-deffo.jpg
PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
Olivaw on

• Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I might be inclined to help you but instead I'm going to respond to your blatant flamebait thread title with this handy graphic

three_red_rings.jpg

Azio on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    seriously, though, you should first try uninstalling all graphics card drivers and then installing the latest from nvidia. 70 degrees is not that hot for a graphics card, even idle, so you could be experiencing some kind of conflict or other non-heat-related issue.

Azio on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Azio wrote: »
    seriously, though, you should first try uninstalling all graphics card drivers and then installing the latest from nvidia. 70 degrees is not that hot for a graphics card, even idle, so you could be experiencing some kind of conflict or other non-heat-related issue.

I only downloaded new graphics drivers after it started happening, so I don't think it's the cause

The system monitor shows it getting up in the eighties without the fan going, after only a few minutes of play, when I managed to quit out before it crashed again. And if it's not heat related, why would it be affecting my fan anyway?

It doesn't just not work for Fallout 3 either, it won't work for any game I try

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Right, and I'm saying you should uninstall and reinstall the driver because it might be conflicting with leftover files from whatever driver you were using before. This can and does happen.

My 9800GT often reaches temperatures upwards of 90 degrees and I have no problems. BSOD during a game can point to any number of problems in all manner of locations, and your temps seem to be fine so perhaps something else is going on here. It might be a good idea to leave the fan speed controls alone until we have ruled out every other possible cause.

Azio on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=25

They might be able to suggest other ideas.

travathian on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    travathian wrote: »
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=25

They might be able to suggest other ideas.

Hm

From searching that forum, it would appear this is a fairly widespread problem

It seems to be related to the card's drivers or BIOS or something, and also Nvidia's program for controlling the fans failing to actually do that, which is accurate on my end!

It would appear I have to use a third party program like Rivatuner to set up some sort of automatic fan control

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg