As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trick 'r Treat: Always Check Your Candy

Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is a thread about the movie Trick 'r Treat, both because it's seasonal and because it deserves its own thread.
trickrtreatbriansinger.jpg

Trailer

Although this movie was screened over a year ago, it never had a major theatrical release. It was just released this month on DVD and Blu-Ray, which means this is the first month many people (myself included) have had a chance to see it. In my opinion, it was worth the wait.

You can find plenty of information about the film on Wikipedia, but it is full of spoilers that will ruin the movie for you, so don't do it. Instead, read this spot-on Amazon review.
People all over the webbins have been talking about Trick r Treat for some time now - exploring conspiratorial notions on why the film has sat shelved for so long while rhapsodizing about just how well X-Men 2/Superman Returns scribe Michael Dougherty's directorial debut works. Having recently seen the film, I can tell you that I know why the film sat for years: It's one of the more ruthless studio-funded horror films ever made. It's not very gory or explicit at all - but it has a truly, deeply, bad attitude. If William Gaines penned morality plays this venomous - to hell with the Comics Code. He'd have probably served time. Trick r Treat is overflowing with the kind of anarchic, mean-spirited hilarity that never sits well with the suits.

One of the reasons the film feels so vile is that the people who populate the tale feel so utterly real. It's really hard to explain without spoiling a lot of what makes it work so well, but - to give you an idea - director Michael Dougherty explained to us that one of the notes he received during the production process was that the children he cast were "too young". Couldn't he make the kids older? Couldn't he cast hotter? That's not to say that elements of the cast aren't flat-out "foxy" (witness the sexi-sexi of Lauren Lee Smith and Rochelle Aytes) but there are sequences in the film that work perfectly because they're not about plasticine twentysomethings. Again - I can't explain exactly what I mean without doing you a disservice - but when you finally see the film, you'll understand completely.

Full Review

So, D&D, have you seen it yet? If so, what are your thoughts? If not, why aren't you renting it right now?

Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
Vrtra Theory on

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It was alright. I appreciated how one narrative flowed into the next and how organic the connections between all the stories felt. I also appreciated the general lack of restraint evident in the casting of kids,the treatment of each story's protagonists, and most importantly the absence of the typical handsome lead who you root for from the start and somehow survives one close encounter after another, undermining the threat of whatever's chasing him or or her with each narrow escape.

I didn't think any of the stories packed the necessary punch, though, especially with the endings. Everything just feels too straightforward with no surprises or unique takes on familiar concepts.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It was actually completely out of stock at the local video store. I'll be trying to pick it up sometime soon.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I agree with the RAGGmeister, it was ok but never particularly scary but it at least didn't shy away with the murdering of non-legal teens but as soon as the main kid was unmasked it lost a lot.

DarkWarrior on