As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Boy and his Blob: Now with 100% more hugs!

• Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009
    IGN review is in.

They gave it a 7.6.

Opium on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Opium wrote: »
    IGN review is in.

They gave it a 7.6.
    It's IGN. When has anybody ever taken them seriously?

They bitched about the visuals not being as "good" as Muramasa's - considering the two games have two completely different artistic styles, that's not very fair. Still, it sounds like the core game is fun, and there's a lot of depth and replay value. That's all I care about.

The game's still beautiful though.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    7.6 is a good score. you guys are on drugs

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009
    Nobody even said whether 7.6 was good or bad, Wren.

Opium on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I give this game a 1 simply based on the difficulty of the game boy version when I was a child, and my inability to make any real progress in the game.

I hate you, A Boy and his Blob.. I hate you

adytum on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nobody even said whether 7.6 was good or bad, Wren.

they're bitching about ign, which says to me they don't like what they gave it

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't worry about the reviews for this game. Games like this, it's hard to obtain truly high reviews, because most reviewers won't score something in the upper 80's or 90's unless they have mind-blowing production values and huge online components.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What's important is not review scores but what they say.

IGN can be summed up as such:

Story not very deep
    Impressive graphics
    varied levels
    plenty of content,
    plenty of replay value for completionists and unlockables
    cool hub-based levels that are unfortunately interrupted by mid-level load times
    really fun puzzle mechanics integrated into platforming gameplay
    smart, challenging, rewarding head-scratching platform puzzles
    clever platforming
    unique interesting/fun boss battles
    controls a tad more complex than necessary but just fine when you get used to them
    no motion controls / no waggle / no ir control
    you can both hug and scold the blob
    die and retry level design
    $40 instead of $50 is a plus

slash000 on
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You forgot that there's no pointer option for selecting jellybean trajectory. It's certainly not a dealbreaker for me, but it just bothers me that games like this and Little King's Story don't implement the Wii''s IR functionality where it's appropriate.

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Meh, you control trajectory with the stick.. it might add some more specificity to be able to use the IR, but I think that inevitably if the trajectory were IR-controlled, reviews would just slam it for "needlessly" requiring IR to throw beans when the stick would have sufficed. Damned if you do/don't.

Personally I'm a fan of IR pointing mechanics in general, but I think in this case, it doesn't really matter that much either way. I don't think IR pointing would make all that crucial an improvement to bean throwing.

slash000 on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009
    SkyEye wrote: »
    You forgot that there's no pointer option for selecting jellybean trajectory. It's certainly not a dealbreaker for me, but it just bothers me that games like this and Little King's Story don't implement the Wii''s IR functionality where it's appropriate.

That's so they can more easily port it to XBLA, PSN etc.

Opium on
  • Options
    anti-everythinganti-everything Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gametrailers likes, 8.5

It will be mine in 1 hour.

anti-everything on
    550191-1.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As much as I love and desire this game, I have to wonder why they couldn't make it control like it used to: one button tosses a bean which the blob automatically eats, and one button snaps him out of it.

I guess you might need him to go up high for some reason. Just seems a little complicated as reviews have been saying.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Someone buy this and tell me how awesome it is. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I just got the game as part of the Toys "R" Us Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal. Three main stages and three challenge stages in; so far, I'm enjoying it. The game stays true to the spirit of the original, and it's very charming. Controls are nice and simple: A jumps and performs certain actions, B throws (using the control stick to control trajectory - comes in very handy when making long pinpoint throws, as opposed to having to throw while running in the original), C calls Blob/cancels transformation, and Z is the jellybean menu. Up on the control pad is the all-important hug button (awww...), down makes Blob stay put.

You're given a predetermined set of jellybean flavors to work with for each stage, so eventually you'll have to become familiar with every transformation. Since it's still early the puzzles are very simplistic - basic use of ladders to climb, holes to fall down to lower levels and get enemies out of the way, as well as some trampoline work. Short of some blind trampoline jumps (thankfully the camera helps tell you where Blob is in relation to you), things have been pretty easy, but I expect they'll start throwing in some more complicated stuff soon.

Naturally the art style and animation are great, especially in the opening movie sequence, and the music is fittingly whimsical and subdued. The Blob animations are especially smooth. I don't mind the minimalistic storytelling approach at all; just like in the original, all you need to know is that there's this boy, he has a blob for a friend, and they go on adventures. The rest of the details aren't important.

Again, I'm still early in, so I haven't gotten to the really good stuff yet, but it's been fun so far.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When my wife found the "hug" button, she started screaming. "YOU CAN HUG HIM AT ANY TIME!"

Seriously, made her day. I doubt I'll be getting to play Uncharted 2 tonight. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have a feeling my little cousins will love seeing this game in action whenever they visit. Blob hugging always makes me crack a smile.

One small nitpick, though - David Crane doesn't get any thanks in the instruction manual's credits. You'd think WayForward would give the guy some special mention for the original.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    One small nitpick, though - David Crane doesn't get any thanks in the instruction manual's credits. You'd think WayForward would give the guy some special mention for the original.

Did I mention my mom grew up with David Crane? I like to think the overworld with corn fields in the NES game is based on our old hometown in Amish country.

Of course there weren't any giant candy factories around.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I never knew there was a sequel to the first game already.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rescue_of_Princess_Blobette

Couscous on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    When my wife found the "hug" button, she started screaming. "YOU CAN HUG HIM AT ANY TIME!"

Seriously, made her day. I doubt I'll be getting to play Uncharted 2 tonight. :P

I'd imagine hugging a blob wouldn't be that much different from hugging a brownie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fhq08gtX-0&feature=related

emnmnme on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

All I can think of, looking at that, is Harold & Kumar.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    lol, so what's the deal with the trash can in the hideout? It's totally unlabeled, you use it and it prompts:

"Delete saved game?

No (R) Yes (L)"

the fuck?

Zek on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yessssss, the precioussssss. It comes.

(I hope they still have the bubble transformation for moving around underwater)

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Here is 1up's video review:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/13/review-a-boy-and-his-blob/

Verdict: Best Review Ever

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As much as I love and desire this game, I have to wonder why they couldn't make it control like it used to: one button tosses a bean which the blob automatically eats, and one button snaps him out of it.

I guess you might need him to go up high for some reason. Just seems a little complicated as reviews have been saying.

I just came from playing this game, and you description sounds to me like how the game is played

what did you think was different?

Evander on
  • Options
    CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vegan wrote: »

Is that the kid from The Nanny?

Coreo on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009
    Coreo wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »

Is that the kid from The Nanny?
    Actually no, she is doing nude scenes with David Duchovny on Californication and lesbian kisses with Claire on Heroes now.

Unless you mean Brighton in which case... yes.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    so, yeah

AB&HB Wii is a lot of fun. It definitely does feel dumbed down (at least in the early levels) but nostalgia is enough to push through that for now. Time will tell how it is in later levels.

There IS still a feeling that maybe it is not worthy of being a full retail release. 2D platformers feel like they should be 10-20 dollar downloadable titles these days, not full retail packages.

Evander on
  • Options
    CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Woah that chick is on Californication, I saw her in an episode thinking she looked familar.

Man poor Brighton, he's not being nude with David Duchovny at all.

Also staying on topic, the original Boy and His Blob was way to hard for me.

I'm gonna look up reviews on the difficulty of this one

Coreo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Evander wrote: »

I just came from playing this game, and you description sounds to me like how the game is played

If you play the original and play the new one, you'll notice they're different. First, selecting a bean is on a ring menu, locking you out of movement while choosing (from what I've seen). The original just cycled through with select. Obviously each has its advantages and disadvantages, but it's strange that the new game is the one that stops you from moving when it's much more action oriented and might require you to dodge things.

Second, you are immobile when throwing a bean. Same point as above. You have to mess with trajectory rather than being able to just tap a button and watch the blob do his stuff. And the point has been made in at least IGN's review that you have to press a button to call blob over and make him eat the jellybean rather than it being automatic as in the old game.

Look what you made me do, I wrote a big stupid explanatory thing when I just want to enjoy the game. Like I was saying, not a big deal!

EDIT: Ok I will save this post with a real life boy and his blob. Man and his blob. Whatever.

http://vimeo.com/5509560

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Throwing trajectory becomes very important later on. If you want to drop it at your feet you can just tap the button.
    There IS still a feeling that maybe it is not worthy of being a full retail release. 2D platformers feel like they should be 10-20 dollar downloadable titles these days, not full retail packages.

I played for about 2 and a half hours yesterday, doing all the challenge levels as they were available, and only got through 1/4 the game. I think it's a good amount of content for retail.
    If you play the original and play the new one, you'll notice they're different. First, selecting a bean is on a ring menu, locking you out of movement while choosing (from what I've seen). The original just cycled through with select. Obviously each has its advantages and disadvantages, but it's strange that the new game is the one that stops you from moving when it's much more action oriented and might require you to dodge things.

Second, you are immobile when throwing a bean. Same point as above. You have to mess with trajectory rather than being able to just tap a button and watch the blob do his stuff. And the point has been made in at least IGN's review that you have to press a button to call blob over and make him eat the jellybean rather than it being automatic as in the old game.
    Time stops when you're selecting a bean so it's a lot better for time sensitive picking than the first one. It also helps that you don't have to memorize what all the flavors actually do. The only thing you lose from the stationary aiming is being able to do running tosses, but you can toss a lot further now anyway and the trajectory aiming contributes a lot more to the puzzles. And you don't need to call the blob unless he's transformed, otherwise he'll eat the bean automatically.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Coreo wrote: »
    Woah that chick is on Californication, I saw her in an episode thinking she looked familar.

Man poor Brighton, he's not being nude with David Duchovny at all.

Also staying on topic, the original Boy and His Blob was way to hard for me.

I'm gonna look up reviews on the difficulty of this one

I wouldn't worry too much about the difficulty in this one. The early stages are very simple and do a great job of easing you into the mechanics, but about seven levels in things start getting trickier. Supposedly things do get much harder from the reviews I've read. Still, not having to worry about lives or checkpoints mitigates things.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Look what you made me do, I wrote a big stupid explanatory thing when I just want to enjoy the game. Like I was saying, not a big deal!

EDIT: Ok I will save this post with a real life boy and his blob. Man and his blob. Whatever.

http://vimeo.com/5509560

yes, I played the original

the ring menue really doesn't make that much of a difference. it is a way of doing things that just wasn't available back then.

you can also just tap the throw button to drop a bean in front of you, which the blob will eat as he runs over it. again, easier than the old method of having to aim properly for the blob.

you only have to call the blob to the bean if the bean is not where the blob was otherwise running. I'm not sure what IGN was doing wrong on that.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Zek wrote: »

I played for about 2 and a half hours yesterday, doing all the challenge levels as they were available, and only got through 1/4 the game. I think it's a good amount of content for retail.

It's not about content, it's an irrational "we don't pay full price for this anymore" kneejerk

I wasn't saying that the feeling was right, just that it's a feeling

Evander on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    I never knew there was a sequel to the first game already.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rescue_of_Princess_Blobette

That's the one that scarred me forever.

adytum on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009

It's not about content, it's an irrational "we don't pay full price for this anymore" kneejerk

Thing is, they could maybe have made more money by going the Braid route, because of numbers. I'm not a pricing expert though so I guess we should trust their CFO or whoever decides these things.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Thing is, they could maybe have made more money by going the Braid route, because of numbers. I'm not a pricing expert though so I guess we should trust their CFO or whoever decides these things.

Personally, I think it's a question of platform. WiiWare isn't fleshed out enough in audience to support a game like this yet, I don't think. I'm curious if this game will eventually see a release on PS360, and if so, whether it will be physical or not.

Evander on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not interested in the game so much as I'm interested in seeing this blob hugging. Is there video of it on youtube yet?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not interested in the game so much as I'm interested in seeing this blob hugging. Is there video of it on youtube yet?

Video here

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I want to use the buy 2 get 1 free deal for this at TRU...but I have no money. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!