As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 10-14-09: Kilowog = Brillolog

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Graphic Violence
GLC #41 shows how fun using a GL ring to work out your anger can be, and Patrick Gleason needs super props for doing a lot of action stuff but making it coherent to follow:

glc41a.jpg

glc41b.jpg

glc41c.jpg

glc41d.jpg

TexiKen on

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Should've been a fridge instead of a coffin.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I haven't read all my books this week, but I'm thinking that my MotW is going to be this comic:

2009-10-14.jpg

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Secret Six #14, super duper spoilers below:

ss14a.jpg

ss14b.jpg

ss14c.jpg

ss14d.jpg

and then there was something with Bane even more spoilery but go buy the damn book to find out that

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    I haven't read all my books this week, but I'm thinking that my MotW is going to be this comic:

2009-10-14.jpg

Hahaha, that's awesome

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    my store had a small selection of the upcoming Blackest Night corps rings. i think i saw two of each so it must have been an advanced preview.

the requirement to get them is that you must buy the blackest night tie-in associated with that ring when it comes out, which is what i expected. they have my name, so i'm getting the rings!

Rans on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2009
    Rans wrote: »
    my store had a small selection of the upcoming Blackest Night corps rings. i think i saw two of each so it must have been an advanced preview.

the requirement to get them is that you must buy the blackest night tie-in associated with that ring when it comes out, which is what i expected. they have my name, so i'm getting the rings!

Yeah, I saw that they sent out samples to retailers that were doing it.

I'll have to see if my usual store is gonna have them or if I'll have to go to another store next month

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are their any trades of secret six out? That looks pretty good.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, there are. Also, there's the Villains United trade which functions as the first Secret Six story and features the team's origin. Highly recommended!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sweet. So I'll pick up Villains United and the first SS trade then. Should be a good trip to the funny book store tomorrow.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    There's actually Villains United, then a Secret Six mini series, and then you have the current series. There are three trades out right now.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    you could even include that Birds of Prey trade which is basically another Secret Six mini!

Rans on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If reading the last part of the Blue Beetle back-up doesn't make Munch pee his pants in glee then I don't know what would.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Adventure Comics was sooooo good this week.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Adventure Comics really was quite good. I hope the Robin/Superboy relationship continues in some form.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hercules was almost certainly my moment of the week this week. The whole issue is great, so it was hard to pick these, but here they are!
    For those not reading the arc, Hercules was deceived into disguising himself as Thor to stop the Dark Elves from waging a war on Midgard. He ends up bedding their queen, and then she decides "You know what? Thor got a bum deal, being banished from Asgard and all! Let's wage the war in Thor's name!"

The way The Warriors Three decide to remedy this is declaring "Hercules" (who Thor is disguised as) as their champion, and if he wins the Dark Elves will not wage the war. Hercules starts fighting, and he plays dirty. Thor's like, uh what are you doing you have to lose, and Hercules insists "You are Hercules. Live up to the name." So, he does.

img072.jpg

img069.jpg

img070.jpg

img071.jpg

Then, the former Dark Elf King who tried to start this whole war comes. He figured if Thor and Herc beat on eachother until they were worn out, he could kill them both and retake the Dark Elves while he's at it. Buuut he didn't factor in somebody.

img067.jpg
    img068.jpg

This arc was the best.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Deadpool always has a good run for MOTW. Combine it with an Aliens reference for pure win.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3193/dp900lerajecps012.jpg

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ha, I love how Deadpool is the Alien.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Ha, I love how Deadpool is the Alien.

Also the story about his childhood bet.

*deadpool kills a man with a kitten*
    Girl - "And thats it, I've gone crazy just watching that"

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm going to go with Hercules as well. Such a treat.

KidDork on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If reading the last part of the Blue Beetle back-up doesn't make Munch pee his pants in glee then I don't know what would.

Are you talking about the part where Milagro makes the Ted and Booster action figures kiss and get married?

Because, I mean, I don't post on scans_daily.
    But yeah, that was very cute and funny.

If you're talking about Black Beetle's, "When you see Ted Kord, tell him I said, 'Drop dead,'" and the exchange, "Ted Kord is already dead," and, " Yeah. I know," I just took that as confirmation of what we already knew, that Black Lantern Beetle will be returning to menace Jaime and Booster.

Honestly, I thought this was one of the worst Booster Gold issues in a while, despite the Blue Beetle back-up having some interesting and funny bits in it.

Munch on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Munch wrote: »

Are you talking about the part where Milagro makes the Ted and Booster action figures kiss and get married?

Because, I mean, I don't post on scans_daily.
    BITCH, I DON'T KNOW YOUR LIFE!

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Munch, you're crazy. This was the best Booster Gold issue since Jurgens took over writing. It was funnier and had some nice moments with Dick.

Crazy Munch, crazy. Next you're going to say Greg Land has good art and Yes, Dear was a good show. Never Munch, never!

And besides, S_D is totally gearing up for a slashfest due to Adventure Comics #3.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    G-Man goodness, to follow those epic pages from yesterday in the GDB thread:

GM3a.jpg

GM3b.jpg

And what happens is Great Man starts using just one fiber from the remaining magic bracelet and attaches it to thousands of wristbands and jacks up the price to $10,000

GM3c.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Deadpool
    killing the cast of CSI
    has reaffirmed my faith in humanity. Fuck I hate those shows.

KVW on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A few good scenes from Deadpool 900
    dp900lerajecps052.jpg

dp900lerajecps053.jpg

dp900lerajecps055.jpg

dp900lerajecps065.jpg

dp900lerajecps067.jpg

dp900lerajecps068.jpg

Fixed your images and quoted it because you're a criminal.

Criminal.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    jaysus christ

Antimatter on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Charlie Huston is such a great choice for Deadpool.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The Joe Kelly/Rob Liefield DP story was actually really good. It played exactly to Liefield's strengths. And he drew feet! For $5 I thought we would get all new material though.

All of the new stories were good, and the joke about the deadpool 201-899 cover gallery was good.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Instead of wasted pages on cover galleries and shit, they shoudl have just posted the best moments from all deadpool comics. I think the 4th letter did a post or list of them all a while back,b ut would have been awesome to see in a comic.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Gail Simone's run with Rhino as a keychain stands out the most in my mind as best Deadpool moment (that whole issue in fact).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I wish they'd have printed that fully scripted, penciled, and inked Deadpool Saves the Universe comic, which never saw print back when it was created.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Munch, you're crazy. This was the best Booster Gold issue since Jurgens took over writing. It was funnier and had some nice moments with Dick.

I thought the stuff with Dick was hokey in a bad Christmas special way, rather than genuinely emotionally affecting, Booster threatening to give Damian severe burns, or whatever weird way he phrased his threat, seemed really strange and out of character, the reveal of the Black Beetle's (or is it the Scarlet Scarab now?) boss was really anti-climactic, the addition of various colored power scarabs to the Beetle mythos is kind of goofy, and the entire plot, for the past several issues, has just been incredibly scattershot and unfocused.

If I wasn't an enormous fan of Booster and Beetle, I'd have dropped the book by now. As is, I'm just holding out hope that Jurgens will do something with Booster that will make the series worth reading.

I just really, really don't give a shit about seeing Booster hang out with Batman (any of them), Robin, the New Teen Titans, which no one at DC can seem to stop jerking off about, or Enemy Ace, or whoever the fuck Jurgens seems interested in teaming Booster with.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Was that DP saves the universe also written by Christopher Priest?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love the use of onomatopoeia in this week's Incredible Hercules. Especially the "SukkkaPUNCH" at the beginning.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Was that DP saves the universe also written by Christopher Priest?

I honestly can't remember. I just barely remembered its existence, as its title was, upon further Googling, Deadpool Almost Destroys the Marvel Universe.

Which is considerably more appropriate to Wade.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Detective Comics Annual
    Harvey Bullock gets some assistance from The Question and then figures out that it's Renee because of her ass.

Isn't realistic at all, but it's classic Harvey

But I really liked the two annuals; especially because of how they brought so many different characters together with the new Batman and Robin.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I thought the Tim/Conner discussion in Adventure was pretty rad.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Adventure Comics really was quite good. I hope the Robin/Superboy relationship continues in some form.

I agree. I would lime this post if I knew how. Everyone should read Adventure Comics.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ROBINSON BACK TO STARMAN!
    OSTRANDER BACK TO SUICIDE SQUAD!

That was great seeing that in the back of the DC Books.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think I have to give my MotW to The Astounding Wolf-Man. Which had a werewolf wearing a mecha suit, and fighting something that looked like it stepped out of Shadow of the Colossus.

It was ridiculous in all the right ways.

Munch on