As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There's no music forum, so here this goes, "MUSTACHE REQUIRED"

MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Artist's Corner
Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
MC Mystery on

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hahahaha. hahahahaaaahaha.

I'm sorry but is this for real?

F87 on
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you were hoping to look like obnoxious jackasses, then I'd say you've succeeded exceptionally. But hey, if you're pulling out crowds, keep it up I guess.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    hahahaha. hahahahaaaahaha.

I'm sorry but is this for real?

Yes.

MC Mystery on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    your stage presence reminded me of awkward drunk people at karaoke night. Its funny at times but it distracts me to the point all Im doing its laughing or grimacing at your antics not really paying attention to the music.

Kendeathwalker on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    your stage presence reminded me of awkward drunk people at karaoke night. Its funny at times but it distracts me to the point all Im doing its laughing or grimacing at your antics not really paying attention to the music.

This is what I meant to say. Sorry.

But, it's not like I could do any better...

F87 on
    edited October 2009
    In local press we've always been written up as having one of the best stage shows, that's actually the one area of us that I'm completely proud of. The reaction your having to it is probably the intended reaction.

MC Mystery on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't listen to these haters, I can dig what you guys are doing.

Fun, energetic, and not necessarily meant to be taken all that seriously.

Admittedly though, I only watched the first video because my attention span has been killed by the interwebs.

I found the beats to nice, and the lyrics entertaining enough.

Sublimus on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone who can get down to some tight-ass bike pants with his shirt off in front of a crowd has my respect.

One thing though, that last song, you guys really need to work on your harmonies. Some singing lessons could do wonders for you, have a think about it.

Mustang on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like your band name, and you guys seem to be really into what you do but I'm gonna agree with Kendeath. You're being so energetic that you come off as amateur and you need to focus more on your actual music than on your stage presence.

mensch-o-matic on
    edited October 2009
    No one is saying what the problem with the actual music is, only that there's a problem with the music and that the stage show makes it noticeable? Also, what's the problem with the stage show? Should there be no dancing? I hate seeing bands who aren't dancing. It's boring. Basically if you feel like there's something wrong, give a suggestion as to what could be done to right it.

MC Mystery on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MC Mystery wrote: »
    No one is saying what the problem with the actual music is, only that there's a problem with the music and that the stage show makes it noticeable? Also, what's the problem with the stage show? Should there be no dancing? I hate seeing bands who aren't dancing. It's boring. Basically if you feel like there's something wrong, give a suggestion as to what could be done to right it.

Mustang wrote: »
    Anyone who can get down to some tight-ass bike pants with his shirt off in front of a crowd has my respect.

One thing though, that last song, you guys really need to work on your harmonies. Some singing lessons could do wonders for you, have a think about it.

joshofalltrades on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There's nothing wrong with dancing, but you don't want to make it a larger focus than the music itself, which is what you're currently doing.

You'll want to try to get your dance to fit your music without muddying up the performance- here's a good example of what I mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvulRWKxIUo

He's not doing anything too complicated (hell, he's just rocking back and forth) but it compliments the music and draws the audience in because they can see he's into the music.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    maybe if you posted a studio version of these you might get better feedback on the music. right now listening to you breath heavy in between lyrics and the effect jumping up and down has on your voice as the microphone floats all over the place is too distracting.

Kendeathwalker on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    haha i think it'd be fun seeing you guys perform
    i hope you don't expect to make a career out of this though, as half the draw in your performance is, in fact, the performance

i'd probably never buy a cd from you guys

RubberAC on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hahha i actually laughed really hard at
    IM A VAMPIRE
    SUCK MY DICK

RubberAC on
    edited October 2009
    For about 4 months I was living on nothing but the income we were making from the band, so I'm pretty safely feeling that we could make a career out of this (however I have no plans to quit my day job, as the combined income is much better than just one or the other).

Nappuccino, I've seen them before, and although I like them on album I honestly thought their show was one of the most boring things I've ever watched. This type of performance is exactly what we're trying NOT to be.

RubberAC, yes, this was one of the things I was curious about from the thread. Our CD's generally sell out (we only have one right now, and it's a shitty demo that is worse recording/performance quality than this live recording) we generally print them in prints of 50, and we've sold out of 3 printings. But I have often been told by show-goers that they'd much rather buy a T-shirt from us (which we only ever printed a small run of 30, but they sold out) than a CD as they were more into the show than the music. However this was before we added our 3rd member. However weird post script is we found out some kids were selling bootleg live recordings of us for more than we charge for our "studio" CD and were making a decent run of it till we found out and posted the MP3's for free.

I can't post studio versions of these tracks because we haven't recorded studio versions of any of these yet.

MC Mystery on
    edited October 2009
    Most boring show ever?

You sir are a madman.

Well, I suppose quality has never really correlated with popularity, enjoy your spotlight.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I do think you could hit on a niche market for this, it's not my type of music, but you guys are certainly a laugh. Do work on your singing though, dud harmonies make you sound unprofessional.
    Anyway good luck man, I hope you guys do really well.

Mustang on
    edited October 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Most boring show ever?

You sir are a madman.

Well, I suppose quality has never really correlated with popularity, enjoy your spotlight.

Okay I lied, not most boring EVER, at the same show, Bob Dylan performed, and his set was DEPRESSING to watch, especially because I consider him to be one of my heroes. To be fair, it was a weird billing and some truly fantastic showmen were on the bill at this. THE ROOTS (who are one of the best live bands I have ever seen) really blew everything else at this out of the water.
    Mustang wrote: »
    I do think you could hit on a niche market for this, it's not my type of music, but you guys are certainly a laugh. Do work on your singing though, dud harmonies make you sound unprofessional.
    Anyway good luck man, I hope you guys do really well.

This is the other thing. We make New-Wave Alternative Hiphop. We're not trying to be the next Beatles here, we're trying to make people laugh and dance.

MC Mystery on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I could only make it so far into the first clip, but I think I'm just spoiled by living on the east coast, where there are no shortages of great MC's with superb stage presences.

Again, I only listened to some of the first one, but you guys could really do well to get some better beats. That one was just kinda bad. I should note that I really hate nerdy rap and whenever some posts that crap in here it drives me nuts. But I don't actually despise you guys, so thats good.

You guys are funny, and you definitely have the improvisational skill to keep a crowd interested. You have some funny lines scattered about, but the beat coupled with a kinda bland delivery wore me out pretty fast.

I would tone down the amount of times you have your back up dudes emphasizing certain words every couple bars, it sounds pretty amateurish after like 45 seconds. It's cool that you guys are rehearsed enough to know each others lines, but that doesn't mean you should do it that frequently.

Also, once you get some good beats, make sure you use some drops here and there so that you can just rock it accapella at certain points.

earthwormadam on
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would be entertained by this if I saw you live. Actually I just kind of like this, I wouldn't really go out of my way to buy it, but it's not unlistenable. The second video sounds like what Dan Deacon would sound like if he rapped. You definitely come off as kind of douchebaggy, though. especially at the start of the first video.

I am pretty picky when it comes to hip hop. Generally, how I see hip hop is that it has to have BOTH a great beat AND good, smart lyrics otherwise it falls completely flat. One thing I could see you guys improving vastly is your beats. They're pretty stereotypical hip hop fare. I tend to like hip hop that doesn't sound so straight up...preproduced? I'm not sure how to put it. Beats like the ones used by RJD2 and Aesop Rock, where it sounds like the instruments that make it up aren't the same thing copy/pasted over and over. Also, definitely more complex/nuanced, but really the difference to me is that it sounds more real.

for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvAJ_s_C1Mw

honestly though, I don't understand what the instant hate is for, you're not bad.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
    edited October 2009
    You know, the roots MC doesn't do anything crazy, weird or distracting either, right?

Nappuccino on

edited October 2009
    Also, once you get some good beats, make sure you use some drops here and there so that you can just rock it accapella at certain points.

If you would have made it into the second song on the first video, we use a drop in there, and our old demos used drops pretty extensively. I go to a lot of hiphop shows, and I collect alternative hiphop (and mainstream oldschool stuff) and I'm very familiar with the technique. We're also on the east coast, btw. Our old beats were done by me, in a style very similar to stuff like A Tribe Called Quest, which is where my main mc-influences lie (my bandmate tends to lean towards harder stuff though) The only songs we really do the backup thing on are that first song, as it's supposed to kind of sound oldschoolly street rap. The reason there's no drops in the first song is it's supposed to be the big rehearsed banger to open the show with and get people interested, I feel like acapella drops are best used for late in the show otherwise shit just feels like every other goddamn rap show ever. The old beat for that particular song also used to be a little jazzier, and more acoustic sounding but I much prefer the current beat. We're not trying to sound like regular hiphop. We're trying to sound like Devo, but we make rap music. We make all of our own loops, no samples aside from pretty extensive vocal sampling to make certain sounds in the first beat. None of our beats are looping 4/4s, shit changes up, shit gets dropped, shit gets picked up, shit changes into different songs.

Also I like Nerd Rap, but I super don't want to be a part of that whole scene so I really appreciate you noticing that that's not where our influences lie.
    jpeg wrote: »
    I would be entertained by this if I saw you live. Actually I just kind of like this, I wouldn't really go out of my way to buy it, but it's not unlistenable. The second video sounds like what Dan Deacon would sound like if he rapped. You definitely come off as kind of douchebaggy, though. especially at the start of the first video.

I am pretty picky when it comes to hip hop. Generally, how I see hip hop is that it has to have BOTH a great beat AND good, smart lyrics otherwise it falls completely flat. One thing I could see you guys improving vastly is your beats. They're pretty stereotypical hip hop fare. I tend to like hip hop that doesn't sound so straight up...preproduced? I'm not sure how to put it. Beats like the ones used by RJD2 and Aesop Rock, where it sounds like the instruments that make it up aren't the same thing copy/pasted over and over. Also, definitely more complex/nuanced, but really the difference to me is that it sounds more real.

for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvAJ_s_C1Mw

honestly though, I don't understand what the instant hate is for, you're not bad.

We actually sampled Coffee in the beat for the first song in the 3rd video! That's one of our favorite songs. Haha Also almost none of our beats use a 4/4 loop as I said before, if you listen closesly there are a lot of little nuances, and usually the beat is completely different by the end of the song. We keep our drum tracks pretty consistant to encourage ease of dancing though. Also, as far as being a douchebag, the -character- of "MC Mystery" is a complete douchebag. Our actual lyrics are usually real stuff (even the joke lyrics are usually symbolism for something we really care about) but anything we say not during a song is us playing the characters of our rap handles, who all happen to be complete douches.

But I'm glad some hiphop heads came into the thread. We're pretty involved in our local rap scene, but in this way where we try to keep a safe distance because a lot of the mc's around here are style biters or hangers on, so it's like, when you're doing something different they want to be a part of it, without putting in the work, which is really really annoying.
    You know, the roots MC doesn't do anything crazy, weird or distracting either, right?

and that's why we do.

MC Mystery on
    edited October 2009
    THE ROOTS (who are one of the best live bands I have ever seen) really blew everything else at this out of the water.

and that's why we do.

...Ok, fine, whatever.

I'm going to get an aneurysm if I think about this any longer.

Nappuccino on

• jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    We actually sampled Coffee in the beat for the first song in the 3rd video!

oh shit, did not catch that. oh, short attention span, you fail me.

I respect the idea that the characters you guys are rapping as is part of your group's shtick but as you can see with me, I couldn't really tell this, because it's between "not really pushing it very far" and "way over the top" so it comes across as "are these guys actually douchebags or not?". I'm not saying drop the concept, but maybe look at it somehow so it's more obvious that you're playing a character.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
    edited October 2009
    jpeg wrote: »
    We actually sampled Coffee in the beat for the first song in the 3rd video!

oh shit, did not catch that. oh, short attention span, you fail me.

I respect the idea that the characters you guys are rapping as is part of your group's shtick but as you can see with me, I couldn't really tell this, because it's between "not really pushing it very far" and "way over the top" so it comes across as "are these guys actually douchebags or not?". I'm not saying drop the concept, but maybe look at it somehow so it's more obvious that you're playing a character.

Yeah we had actually offended the owner of this bar the last time we played there, so this set was almost all music and no banter, our normal sets have a lot more skits and stuff. She had just asked that we play a short songs only set because we had offended a regular last time we had played.

MC Mystery on
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You basically need to work on everything music wise. You all need to work on your singing, because right now it doesn't sound funny, it sounds bad. You are saying funny things, but instead of laughing, I'm cringing at the sound. That's the biggest thing I can think of. Your beats are serviceable, but pretty bland. They don't really need to be more interesting if all you're going for is laughs, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be.

As it stands it looks like you're putting the music at a veeery distant second, after the stage performance. The stage performance is probably more important for what you're doing, but god damn, don't forget about the music.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    edited October 2009
    I discussed it with the band, and showed them this thread, and we've all agreed that we're more proud of the music than we ever have been in the past. We don't want to sound like any of the bands mentioned here. Bummed the PA forum has instant hate for us (since we make very synth-heavy music expected videogame guys to be into it), but I'm still really proud of what we do.

MC Mystery on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I agree with most of the crits here, though I don't have any musical background. It was sort of painful/awkward to listen to, like watching someone make a jerk of themselves on TV so I have to change the channel. Although, if you're proud of it, it makes you money and you enjoy it, more power to you. But, I gotta ask, if you weren't looking for critique to better yourself and think there's nothing you can improve, what were you seeking from us when you posted your work here? :I

Kochikens on
    edited October 2009
    I'm more defending our creative choices, I also resent that a lot of the thread isn't like, "you should do this better" it's "you should be a different thing than this." That's my main point. It seems like people are telling us to change our act, rather than improve our act.

MC Mystery on
    edited October 2009
    The main critiques have been "Use better samples or live music," "let the music change to keep it interesting in song (i think that's what they were getting at with "Drops" but i'm not quite sure), and "Don't be so distracting that the music gets buried behind the performance."

Those all seem pretty helpful.

Nappuccino on

edited October 2009
    The main critiques have been "Use better samples or live music," "let the music change to keep it interesting in song (i think that's what they were getting at with "Drops" but i'm not quite sure), and "Don't be so distracting that the music gets buried behind the performance."

Those all seem pretty helpful.

Well on the samples front, we use very few samples. It's all stuff we make ourselves for the most part. Each sound you hear on these tracks was slaved over by me and our sound engineer (the man wearing the pink dress). Drops means when you let the beat fade out in a song, to do part of a verse without any backing track, then have the beat kick back in after the "drop". It's used in the second song in the first video, for an example of the technique. I'm a little bummed so few of you dig this at all, but I feel like a lot of the advice is advising me to either use techniques we already use, or change what we are as a band. It's okay though, some reactions on other forums my other band members have posted these videos on have been as bad as, "abandon rap completely, buy guitars". So big ups to you guys.

MC Mystery on