As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Iphone Forum Browsing App Compatibility

2»

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    you know, i occasionally come here on my iPhone when i'm really bored, and the forums aren't that hard to surf with iPhone Safari.

maybe it's bad with other mobile platforms?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    you know, i occasionally come here on my iPhone when i'm really bored, and the forums aren't that hard to surf with iPhone Safari.

its not impossible

it's just a bit more difficult to do with the random text size thing, and having to zoom around to try and hit very tiny numbers

also, have fun trying to make a post when whatever you quoted takes up the whole text box, as the iphone really isn't capable of interally scrolling it to match where you need to put your text cursor

ronzo on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ronzo wrote: »

its not impossible

it's just a bit more difficult to do with the random text size thing, and having to zoom around to try and hit very tiny numbers

also, have fun trying to make a post when whatever you quoted takes up the whole text box, as the iphone really isn't capable of interally scrolling it to match where you need to put your text cursor

I have trouble moving the text cursor even in a single line, like web addressees. Maybe I just have bad eyes, but the text is really only marginally readable when it's in horizontal mode and zoomed to only the text column.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

its not impossible

If you hold down until you get the magnifier, you can scroll to the bottom of a text box and it will very slowly scroll allowing you to type below it.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Willeth wrote: »

its not impossible

If you hold down until you get the magnifier, you can scroll to the bottom of a text box and it will very slowly scroll allowing you to type below it.

Yeah, I can do it pretty much just fine. Additionally, when you hit Quote, it'll automatically set the cursor in the text box below the quote for you anyway.

I've ended up browsing on the forums on my phone a whole bunch mind you, so I guess I've had a lot of practice.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wonder if it would be possible to use something like this to make the forums more mobile browser-friendly.

I have no clue how it could be implemented, but is it really cool-looking.

Abracadaniel on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That would be the most excruciating of all possibilities. It's literally a complete re-markup of the forum software. jqTouch is ... lame, quite honestly.

Jasconius on
    edited October 2009
    oh :(

well, it looked real neat

Abracadaniel on
    edited October 2009
    It's neat, but it's deceptive in its function. It doesn't magically warp your site into a native app. It uses javascript to make it look like it's a native app.

I guess I'm just sour to the deception.

Jasconius on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also, it's nice for iPods and iPhones, but viewing it on anything else, even other webkit handhelds, is going to either not look right or not behave properly. I'd rather we did something like an alternate stylesheet that streamlined the interface, made all the text and buttons bigger, and allowed the page to scale horizontally comfortably between 200px and 500px.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the current theme uses too much structural CSS, so flexibility would be limited.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    For what it's worth the forums are fine on the (Webkit-based) Nokia browser.

japan on
    edited October 2009
    I tried to get the forum index to go on the iphone today, but the defacto libraries for XML parsing that are available (libxml, and by extension, TouchXML), seem to disagree with HTML encoded characters such as  .

Lame.

Jasconius on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, put together an API for pulling the data from the db, with an auth code so only approved applications could access it, and I'll write the app.

NotASenator on
    edited October 2009
    And I'll buy it

Abracadaniel on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd buy it, or donate for it or whatever. I surf off my iPhone a lot.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981