As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Question about BYOC

DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
edited July 2005 in PAX Archive
Clearly, the BYOC room will have a LAN so we can play each other. But, will it also have internet access? Among other things, I'm thinking of playing some WoW and wondering if that will be possible.

Thanks!

DJBreslin on

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    i think you can spare a few days away from your precious level 42 priest dwarf named dumblepoop

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Wow, not quite the response I was expecting to get from this crowd.

The "among other things" would be email, IM, remoting into work if unfortunately necessary, updating my website with pics, etc. Are those reasons worthy enough to allow me to ask the question?

Should I take your response to indicate that we won't have internet access? Or was it nothing more than humor?

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I remember some companies in the exhibition room had internet access, but i dont remember if the lan room did...

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited July 2005
    If you have a wireless card, you'll be able to get internet access via Speakeasy, which will be providing free Internet access to all attendees wirelessly.

We still haven't decided whether or not to provide wired internet connectivity to the BYOCers.

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    For BYOC, I'd think the biggest draw of the internet would be:

--access to drivers and game patches

and

--ability to write to the forum in order to keep the poor shlubs who couldn't make it up to date (and burning jealous) on what a good time we're all having.

Playing WoW at a gaming convention? To me, that's like going to the World Series of Poker and playing solitare. But whatever turns your screw...

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    slacktron wrote:
    For BYOC, I'd think the biggest draw of the internet would be:

--access to drivers and game patches

and

--ability to write to the forum in order to keep the poor shlubs who couldn't make it up to date (and burning jealous) on what a good time we're all having.

Playing WoW at a gaming convention? To me, that's like going to the World Series of Poker and playing solitare. But whatever turns your screw...

Well, it could be fun if you get a bunch of people all on the same server in a group.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    My god, I don't understand some of you. Yeah, my buddy and I play together a bit. We both got BYOC spots this year so that we'd have something to do during dead spots. We'll likely play BF2, UT2k4 (for training purposes!) and maybe even some WoW. I just don't understand the reaction. Does it sound like I'm suggesting I'll play WoW the entire time? If so, that's not the case.

Regardless, thanks for the answer Robert.

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I don't know, I have been to many LANs in the past and only ONCE have I played a game solo online. Why? I go to a LAN to play with other people. If you wanted to play WoW you should just do it at home, that's all these people are saying. Makese sense to me.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    My apprehension is that a large scale LAN provides a few things that you cannot get from home:

1) a < 10ms ping rate
    2) in-room communication
    3) immediate social atmosphere with like-minded enthusiasts

Because of the rarity of this situation, I'd feel like I was missing out if I wound up doing the same old, same old.

But hey, I appreciate that when a game has got its hooks into you, there simply is nothing more interesting than pursuing that game. So if WoW is your bag, go for it. Doc's suggestion makes a lot of sense, though.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg