As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Kill Doctor Lucky in Phalla Mansion - Good Night, Doctor Lucky (Game Over)

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Heh...

Not exactly surprised by this silence. Village, if you want to ride this train to the end, then please, save me. There is still justice to be done, guards to slay and vengeance to be enacted.

Romantic Undead and Houn

Villains or fools? The first, a mastermind, the second, a muppet. (Kill him anyway, he's an evil muppet)

Incase I do die tonight, I bid the rest of you luck with your quest. Guess I'll see you in Valhalla.

I'd just like to say how very disappointed I am with you all.

Gumpy on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Shadowthomas. Even if Gumpy is a bodyguard, at least he's not a bodyguard in the same room as the good Doctor.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Shadowthomas swap. I want to actually land this hit.

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • ShadowThomasShadowThomas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You guys have been played by Gumpy for how many days now? How many times does he have to mislead you before you vote him out?

But fine. Vote me out, lose the game, let Gumpy laugh at you while he sticks knife through your ribcage.

ShadowThomas on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    One hour until the vote close!

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There's just something about Gumpy

Hippie on
    edited October 2009
    Gah, curse my indecisiveness! Gumpy.

I've been waffling over that all freaking day.

adventfalls on
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Baaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Ba-a-a-a-a-aaaaaa.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hmmm.... so.... torn.... ShadowThomas?!

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    edited October 2009
    Game Day 10 has ended.

Any actions or votes made before the hour (x:59) will count, while actions or votes made on the hour or later (x:00) will not count.

Results ready in about a half hour.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited October 2009
    If I'm counting correctly, that puts Gumpy just ahead? =(

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited October 2009
    All I know is that I need the Gumpy question answered.

adventfalls on
    edited October 2009
    Well I think it's getting answered...

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited October 2009
    1:30 AM (Game End) - Good Night, Doctor Lucky

It was obvious that the bodyguards were trying their hardest to shove everybody out the doors as quickly as possible. Damon Edgmon (Gumpy). Julio Weatherall (Romantic Undead). Abel Kopczyk (shalmelo). And by special request, Allan Peloquin (adventfalls). All were sent flying out of the front doors without fanfare. There was no time to lose: they had to attack Dr. Lucky now, or there would be no more chances. And just as they were getting ready to converge, a shot rang out of the darkness followed by a solid thumping noise. And then the lights came back on.

Randal Critton (Obbi) had been shot and had a battle axe sticking out from his chest. And near him, with weapons raised, were Shirleen Soellner (TehSloth) and Ryan Molina (ShadowThomas). The two had no opportunity to resist as they were apprehended by the bodyguards and dragged towards the front doors. They looked around desperately for aid. And more importantly, where was Dr. Lucky? Did the old man escape again?

As the rainstorm finally began to move by, Dr. Lucky made his way up the stairs to the second floor to prepare for bed. Such a long and tiring party, and so much of it spent in the dark. And so many guests had to leave early, too. Well, some things can’t be helped. Maybe the next party will be better.

Eliminated Players
    adventfalls - Allan Peloquin (Conspirator) got a one-way ticket out the doors.
    Gumpy - Damon Edgmon (Conspirator) could not get enough support from the others to stay.
    Obbi - Randal Critton (Conspirator) got a battle axe to the chest and was shot.
    Romantic Undead - Julio Weatherall (Conspirator) had the door slammed behind him.
    shalmelo - Abel Kopczyk (Conspirator) could not oppose the bodyguards' commands.

Surviving Players

TehSloth - Shirleen Soellner (Conspirator) and ShadowThomas - Ryan Molina (Conspirator) were overpowered and dragged out the mansion.

Hippie - Gerardo Blancarte (Bodyguard), Houn - Erlinda Aceuedo (Bodyguard), oaklore - Cary Lies (Bodyguard), and Rawkking Goodguy - Domingo Karol (Bodyguard) are on cleanup duty for the rest of the night after a job well done.

The bodyguards have been able to purge the mansion of all conspirators and have successfully protected Dr. Lucky from harm!

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited October 2009
    *raises hands in the air*

I FAIL! MISERABLY! AGAIN!

adventfalls on
    edited October 2009
    Links and Resources

Organizational Proboards (Actions and Resolutions, Roles and Information)
    Master Spreadsheet

Post-Game Commentary / Design Journal

I came up with the idea for Kill Doctor Lucky in Phalla Mansion a long time ago, same time as I thought of the idea for my previous game, Fire Emblem. A few things were clear at the start: there would be a map representing Phalla Mansion, and players would move about it killing each other, and eventually Dr. Lucky. Like the board game, each player would have a hand of cards that could be used for movement, making attacks, and for defense.

In the original concept, the game was set up as a traditional village vs. mafia game, with the collected murderous guests against the undercover bodyguards charged with protecting Dr. Lucky. Of course, to encourage players to attack each other, this was quickly shifted to a hybrid factional vs. mafia game. The end product featured much broader, larger factions than the original outlines, mostly because I could not satisfyingly flesh out enough categories for villagers to be placed in. There were going to be multiple role PMs for each faction, but time constraints prevented this from happening. In addition, there were a handful of third-party role ideas that were under consideration but did not make the final cut. In particular, I could not get a satisfying 'serial killer' role written up, and the 'survivor' role was cut out as being too close to the generic 'villager' role.

Dr. Lucky and the bodyguards' mechanics also shifted somewhat over the game's development. Originally, Dr. Lucky acted as a nullifier, preventing any attack actions (both on Dr. Lucky and between players) except the bodyguards' evictions in his room if there were multiple factions in the room. Dr. Lucky also lacked a natural defense, relying on the donation of Failure Cards from other players for protection. Of course, most of that protection would be coming from the bodyguards' hands. Fear of bad luck in an early-game scenario caused me to change Dr. Lucky's defense systems to one that was tied more directly to the number of bodyguards remaining. Not only would that keep the focus mostly on eliminating the bodyguards, but it would also avoid some bad-luck scenarios such as Dr. Lucky somehow getting killed early on or having Dr. Lucky build up a far-too-large Failure Card pile for the late game. The card-drawing bonus for being in the same room as Dr. Lucky was part of the design from the start.

Having abilities tied to card use was also planned from the start. Players with these special abilities could discard one or more cards from their hand to duplicate or enhance the effect of other cards in the game. I liked the idea of having to use personal resources to activate special powers as a game mechanic; the potential tradeoff decisions present in the system were rather appealing. Unfortunately, I think I set some of the ability costs too high: most of the powers except for the 'Steal'-type abilities were not used except through the actual cards that had those abilities.

The idea of daily events was actually a last-minute decision. After shuffling the game card deck and dealing out the starting hands to all players, I found that some people were lacking in defenses. In order to give these people a shot at survival, and to make sure that the early kill rate was not too high, I added in the defensive stance mode as a one-day event. After that, I just decided to run with the idea of daily events and set them up as they came to mind. I tried to balance offensive and defensive events, but the defense-oriented events really slowed the game's pacing down. During the last few days, there were quite a few people with so many Failure cards that only an extremely coordinated attack could take them down.

In the end, the bodyguards were able to achieve victory despite a rather rocky start. The village's confusion combined with careful infiltration by the bodyguards helped them outlast the conspirators' plans. It's kind of hard to say if the bodyguards were overpowered or not. Considering the fact that the conspirators had an early win condition, I designed the bodyguards' ability set to try and protect against it. The precedence of the eviction kills coming before the weapon attacks was very important in one case for an attack on Dr. Lucky, and the impact of this order of operations was also seen in smaller levels at different parts of the game. Even if evictions occurred at the same time as attacks, the bodyguard with the 'Ninja Bodyguard' ability was still in play, which would have protected Dr. Lucky. However, this was the only case where the ability would have made a difference.

Overall, I'm fairly happy with the way the game went. The pacing went kind of sour with the card imbalance during the end phases of the game, but aside from that, everything ran smoothly. If I had more time, I would have liked to have created more profiles for the role PMs, and I probably could have done more thinking about the daily events. Balance wasn't precise, but I think they were within reasonable limits, considering the way things played out. It was nice to get a 'simpler' game produced, though it was still a lot of effort to get everything done by myself. If I had as many people as my last two games, I actually don’t think this game would have gone as well without a co-host. I'm not really sure what will come next in line, but I do have a couple of ideas that are coming to mind. Look forward to it.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited October 2009
    Great, now I'm imagining Rawkking's lines spoken by Axel WHILE pushing up Gendo's glasses.

HOW DOES THE WRATH OF THE DARK HERO FEEL, VILLAGE?

Drluckyjustasplannedbig.jpg

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited October 2009
    Again, I fail miserably. Played to the very end.

*facepalm*

adventfalls on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh wow Rawking Goodguy in Gumpy's network was actually a Sneaky Badguy who would've known, Gumpy!?

And letting oaklore live that long, OUCH.

Occult boards:

http://wolfsrainfall.proboards.com/index.cgi

Lovers boards:

http://luckyslovers.proboards.com/

rubytoujou.pngMany many things have happened...

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    CSI_Phalla.jpg

Houn on
    edited October 2009
    I failed so bad, I couldn't even FIND my motive peoples.

I was Occult.

adventfalls on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I was Occult.
    B:L wrote: »
    I believe we were talking about
    rosariovampire7.jpg

But it seemed the bodyguards got all the motive info either at the start or really early. Thanks a lot, Soda leakers.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited October 2009
    That's great, Houn.

Anyways, informational links are all above, and can also be found in the second post of the thread. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks for playing, guys!

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited October 2009

I was Occult.
    rosariovampire7.jpg

But it seemed the bodyguards got all the motive info either at the start or really early. Thanks a lot, Soda leakers.

I failed that badly. I'd never even HEARD of that before this.

adventfalls on
  • warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So much rage at grumpy and those who listened to anything he said right now.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    edited October 2009
    Oh wow Rawking Goodguy in Gumpy's network was actually a Sneaky Goodguy who would've known, Gumpy!?

And letting oaklore live that long, OUCH.

And we had access to all the motive PM fluff from the start. I'm admittedly annoyed that many bodyguards were still too gunshy to infiltrate networks, despite having this massive advantage to doing so. It did make the village trust Houn and I a lot more towards the end, since aside from Tiphareth there was no evidence of bodyguards infiltrating networks.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Twas the first game I actually dodged the bullets. I'm suprised I lived.

Obvious evil is evil.

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
    edited October 2009
    warban wrote: »

Fun fact.

You could have killed me with that elephant tusk in the trophy room, Warban. Way to listen to Gumpy! :P

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • boogedybooboogedyboo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well played bodyguards, well played. Having the motive PM though was a massive advantage.

boogedyboo on
    edited October 2009
    Apologies in advance to the Money Crew. You have no idea how much I cracked up when you set my avatar to Honest Abe Lincoln, Egos. :lol:

Houn on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    CSI_Phalla.jpg

How did you have all the greed information?

I have to say after I died I was a little suspicious because you never responded to my "since you gave me the most precise info I would give admin status"; I figured you might feel guilty and that might have been why. Alternatively there was the fact the others were not so enthusiastic ...

You were the first ....who gave you the info?

Egos on
    edited October 2009
    Oh yeah, in case you guys are interested in that poll of bodyguard suspicions, I got 11 responses. Here's the tally of how many times each player was mentioned:
    Gumpy - 6
    Hippie - 6

Obbi - 4

Houn - 2
    Rawkking Goodguy - 2
    ShadowThomas - 2

adventfalls - 1
    oaklore - 1
    TehSloth - 1

Romantic Undead - 0
    shalmelo - 0

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wooo, my first mafia victory.

Rawkking for Bodyguards MVP. He held it down throughout.

Although, all in all, I think we had a pretty awesome team. We managed to dodge a couple of votes, and after day four or five I think it started going downhill pretty quickly for the village.

garroad_ran on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I was Occult.
    rosariovampire7.jpg

I failed that badly. I'd never even HEARD of that before this.

hi5!

Thanks for running Blarney! Was entertaining to play and watch.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    edited October 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Oh yeah, in case you guys are interested in that poll of bodyguard suspicions, I got 11 responses. Here's the tally of how many times each player was mentioned:
    Gumpy - 6
    Hippie - 6

Obbi - 4

Houn - 2
    Rawkking Goodguy - 2
    ShadowThomas - 2

adventfalls - 1
    oaklore - 1
    TehSloth - 1

Romantic Undead - 0
    shalmelo - 0

Houn and Hippie were my first guess. TehSloth (because he hadn't voted) and Hippie were my second. O_o

Egos on
  • garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    garroad_ran on
    edited October 2009
    Egos: No guilt. I was at work, and simply mis-read your PM. I thought you said you gave me Admin. Not asking if I wanted it. :lol:

By the time I noticed my mistake, I figured it didn't really matter if I was admin or not. I wasn't going to do anything stupid, like add members or open the board up.

Houn on
    edited October 2009
    Also, yeah, we had all the motive faction PMs.

Houn on
    edited October 2009

Fun fact.

You could have killed me with that elephant tusk in the trophy room, Warban. Way to listen to Gumpy! :P

You know Gumpy told me he would trust his life in your hands? And if he died he wanted me to ensure you stayed alive :(

...that kinda took me by a bit. I wasn't sure if Gumpy was playing with my nice guynish or being serious. I could see him being serious....in a weird way o_O

Egos on
  • warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Fun fact.

Grumpy was Feeding Ego's with storys of how "He would trust you with his life". Plus I felt sorry for your "agent" network at that point....

I hated grumpy more at that point anyway .... and ever though you turned out to be the Bodyguard he was the bigger threat, Because hey he was leading the village down stupid street.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
This discussion has been closed.