As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's been a while

1234568»

• Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    did one in pencil this-morning while doing my work. I tried to go to more of an extreme but it doesnt look like who it was ment to look like. I tried to make the eyes deeper by making the eyebrow bigger but it didnt work to well. Still.. I'm learing

Photo296.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    who is it?

Tam on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Its you, Tam.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    think they are getting wose lol. This is really hard... Trying to bend them around and keep the likeness and keep form is really hard. Its like... if you push one section out like the nose and dont blend in your change it just looks like a mistake.

Photo299.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Even though these aren't nearly as polished as your earlier attempts, these are much MUCH closer to the mark.

Lexxy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ohh I thought I was going backwards. I havnt been polishing them off because I thought they were rubbish.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't think you SHOULD be polishing these. These are great exercises and great practice; you don't have to work everything you do to a polished, finished state. Keep doing drills, and when you've started one you feel is particularly successful or are particularly proud of, THEN finish it :>

Lexxy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    finished work early and had time for more of a line-art one
    scarlett_johansson_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's the first one I've recognised, so success!
    It's Scarlett Johansson right?

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ahaha Im really surprised you didnt get De Niro I mean com'on lol..

I chose to finish this even if it doesnt look like james may or and its not a real caricature. i kinda like it. I feel that Im learning that I can stretch things as far as i can allow myself and they still look like real people. I cant break into the caricature world yet but it has given me an idea on how far you can go with features and exaggerating things. Im kinda digging it
    James_May_Caricature_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    It's Scarlett Johansson right?

Haha. i too also guessed johansson. Mainly because i recognised the angle and that red dress.

*i reffed the same image for a drawing i did last early last year :)

Caricaturing is a really hard skill to develop. Even the best artists struggle. Keep going leggs. Though, they probably arent successful im sure its helping you to really look at your figures features more.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    achoo. looks like shit but i think its recognizable. Think i can curve lines a bit more. also god drawing on paper is so different to computer. I miss my computer lol
    Photo302-1.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I did this just to make sure I can draw.. or at least draw better just ended up shit. I still draw way to small....
    Photo305.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think a major issue with your caricatures is that seems like you are deciding what to exaggerate independently of your reference. As if you decided before hand you are going to make someone's head really round or really long or whatever before you even look at them. The idea of a caricature is to get a likeness by exaggerating the specifics of their features. So if they have a crooked tooth you play that up, if they have a long neck you play that up...big nose...big eyebrows...whatever. You are looking for their imperfections and railing on them.

When I did these I was trying to caricature people that I knew. The guy on the left is me...the one on the right is a friend of mine. They aren't super extreme but they are definitely caricatures.

rts on
  • Options
    Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    did one in pencil this-morning while doing my work. I tried to go to more of an extreme but it doesnt look like who it was ment to look like. I tried to make the eyes deeper by making the eyebrow bigger but it didnt work to well. Still.. I'm learing

Photo296.jpg

Ellen Degeneres? The Pacino is great. A little "football eyes" but still a good caricature if you inked it.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ken Dodd???!

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Today i was told to have another go at a non digital painting by a random so yeah.. here it is. Sorry for the quality as i took it with my phone. I think ive spent about 2 hours on it. Its fairly done if not finished. I dont know how to get it onto my computer in a better manner just yet. Might see if I can borrow my sisters camera tomorrow. You get the idea I guess...
    painting.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    thats a good looking painting! the colors are boring me though D:

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    thats a good looking painting! the colors are boring me though D:

mm yeah ive only spent about 2 hours on it so far. Im thinking of adding in some more golds, the colour didnt come up to well on the camera though. its a bit better in life but I still think your right

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    thats a good looking painting! the colors are boring me though

I actually really like the quite muted colours :o

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think it might be the camera image, but there seems to be very little shading on the branches, on an image like that the light will be everywhere.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    yeah there is more colour on the branches then I think comes up. Ive added some greys and browns to them. I wanted them to contrast between the light colour leaves a bit. Ill see if i can borrow that camera today:)

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    i've been playing uncharted 2 so anything not extremely super colored like that freaks me out

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    its been a while. I still havnt managed to get a camera for my painting.
    here is a digital I did today, just a character design
    Puppy_Ballon_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    speedpaint i did, first one recorded, it was really hard and i dont like the outcome but meh
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41LIX3dc1qQ

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cool to see your process. I think your digital techniques and methods of establishing values have improved a shit load in the last few months.
    I gotta say though, i found your technique of building up your characters a little odd. You did the silouette shape of the entire figure (as one shade), then you drew crisp clean lines directly over the top. Did you measure up where everything should be (arms, chest, hands), of just guess? Perhaps this is why some of your drawings seem a little off in their proportions. It seemed like (judging from the vid) that you just roll with the first lines you place down on the canvas. Not criticising the technique, just curious of your process :) Still thumbs up on the vid.

ive got a little question... what kind of layer settings do you use when you filter colour through your images? I really struggle with filtering colour into my characters. They always turn out really bright and high contrast. Is there a particular method you use?

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    umm yeah... i know that method of how i draw out the chracters doesnt work to well... because I get it wrong if i dont take my time laying in the line work. Normally i do the linework though and if i take my time its normally fairly accurate. I guess i had issues because it was the first time i was recording myself i actually felt different drawing and ended up not drawing my normal way.

WIth the colour, i learnt the trick is to do a colour layer, then do a overlay layer and then i normally do a normal paint layer over the top of that

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I started doing this drawing tonight which is a re-do of an old drawing. bout 2 hours in and liking it a bit, Im worried about the depth so far
    boatstorm1-1.jpg

I also just did this as a sketch, I think i might try to base the one in the drawing above on it a bit more
    rains.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    and another I just did. Im not using references, Just boxes and shadding them into shapes
    bird.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    so on the digital scene, do you do line work and then paint on a layer on top?

Also they day is too colorfu land happy imo considering there is an evil tornado swimming right there. maybe.

deadlydorito on