As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Kill Doctor Lucky in Phalla Mansion - Good Night, Doctor Lucky (Game Over)

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thoughts: What I think really fucked over the village, in the end, was the Ninja Bodyguard ability. So long as Hippie (or Oaklore) was alive, we didn't have to be anywhere near Lucky. It left us free to move about however we wanted, preventing any patterns of Bodyguards being in the same room.

Houn on
  • oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks to Kitano too.
    kitano.jpg

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Thoughts: What I think really fucked over the village, in the end, was

whitneyhoustonenquirer0.jpg

The ninja bodyguard thing might've hurt a little too.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Awesome game Mr.B. I had alot of fun with it.

Well played Rawkking, I thought it was Gumpy that would screwed me over. I had no clue you were the bodyguard.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    edited October 2009
    B:L, you want to know the best part?
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Herro people! I'm a bodyguard and am looking for neutrals with win conditions compatible with ours. So contact me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19rC-Fl-KwM

I linked THE VIDEO and no one killed me. :^:

Houn on
  • boogedybooboogedyboo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lol, it's reverse psychology. Nobody expects mafia to blatantly advertise the fact they are mafia.

boogedyboo on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Village voting me out was terrrrrrriblleeeeee.

So you got Whitney Houston'd too huh

I finally figured out who you are, B:L - You're the Phalla equivalent of Phil Hellmuth.

You're Phall Hellmuth.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oaklore wrote: »
    Thanks to Kitano too.

Well, I was behind Kitano as well. (Solo hosting is so exhausting!) Kitano was basically the PM account - it was used previously as a GM account for the Phalla Royale games, and it's generally my go-to-account for Phalla game hosting.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited October 2009
    Before I forget - thanks for running this, Mr. B. It must have been an insane amount of work, particularly in the early days, but it was a great deal of fun to participate in.

shalmelo on
    edited October 2009
    A thought came up when reading through the Occult proboard, things may have turned out better for them if Obbi got in touch with that team.

Obbi - Money + Occult - Randal Critton - Detective

Also, how often did Obbi use his ability? He made it to the end, but didn't network with either Money or Occult.

boogedyboo on
  • oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I see.

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    The precedence of the eviction kills coming before the weapon attacks was very important in one case for an attack on Dr. Lucky
    And Ninja Bodyguard ability

:/

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yes, this game was very enjoyable. Thank you SO much for hosting.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The revenge proboards are now open.

http://cheerforrevenge.proboards.com/index.cgi

Some thoughts:

1) I killed Infidel! Yay!
    2) Oaklore, goddamnit you guys, really?
    3) You gave them our faction PMs Blarney? And special Mafia powers? Man, imagine what this game would've been like if more of the bodyguards had bothered infiltrating networks. Sheesh.
    4) Speaking of Networks - how many times do you have to say REVENGE on the first day for all you revenge idiots to catch it. Three of us immediately said it, and three of us were immediately networked. Of course we weren't infiltrated at any point either, so I guess the villagers weren't the only ones who sucked at spotting motives TYPED IN CAPS
    5) I would've thought that there'd be more vote/eviction/movement analysis in a Main CF phalla than there was
    6) Holding the village's hand again, Gumpy?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited October 2009
    boogedyboo wrote: »
    A thought came up when reading through the Occult proboard, things may have turned out better for them if Obbi got in touch with that team.

Also, how often did Obbi use his ability? He made it to the end, but didn't network with either Money or Occult.

From the spreadsheet, Obbi didn't use his ability at all. And crimsoncoyote, the other Detective, only used it once. As I mentioned in my Post-Game Commentary, outside of 'Steal'-type abilities, most of the card-duplicating abilities were rarely used. I think two cards for an Investigate was a fair price though, actually... but I guess I underestimated how much people valued the resources in their hands.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited October 2009
    BTW, thanks for hooking me up with the Money group, Ringo. Couldn't have done it without you! :D

Houn on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There was way too much going on for me to continue following this game after I died Night 2, but I still really enjoyed the concept and had fun while it lasted.

Good game Blarney, thanks for hosting!

Nocturne on
    edited October 2009

From the spreadsheet, Obbi didn't use his ability at all. And crimsoncoyote, the other Detective, only used it once. As I mentioned in my Post-Game Commentary, outside of 'Steal'-type abilities, most of the card-duplicating abilities were rarely used. I think two cards for an Investigate was a fair price though, actually... but I guess I underestimated how much people valued the resources in their hands.

Ok. Thanks for explanation. Also, thanks for running the game! Confusing as all heck late game, but I had fun.

boogedyboo on
    edited October 2009
    BTW, thanks for hooking me up with the Money group, Ringo. Couldn't have done it without you! :D
    Wha? Didn't Egos drop a post that said "We're forming a money group, send a PM if you want in" or did my passing your name to Dogbone somehow facillitate that?

I wasn't really worried about it because according to Dogbone, Egos didn't bother to vet anybody and you guys had 10 members when only 4 total people had bothered to respond to the REVENGE call. It seemed obvious that one or more of you had to be bad.

Anyway, thanks for the game Blarney - I enjoyed it a lot. I've also learned a couple things about the power of patience (stop kicking the anthill, Ringo!) and that the person you should trust the least in Phalla is anybody who assumes that they know all the factors in play (that was me). Good lessons!

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    LoserForHireX - Money - Dominick Nessler o_O

Why didn't you contact the Greed network in the beginning?

I was too paranoid. I couldn't recognize any network at the beginning, and I was too scared to starting PMing people about my motive because I just figured that I would get killed and the chances were small that I would have landed with the right people.

I'm still not very good at these games...but i like them.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    edited October 2009
    Egos wrote: »
    Coyote never contacted me

Wait then how did Houn know about Coyote? o_O

Day 4, money proboards. TehSloth mentioned CC used his ability to seer me.
    I just want to know why I didn't find out until Day 10... Way to network there guys. :/

Jobastion on
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
    edited October 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    The revenge proboards are now open.

http://cheerforrevenge.proboards.com/index.cgi

Some thoughts:

1) I killed Infidel! Yay!
    2) Oaklore, goddamnit you guys, really?
    3) You gave them our faction PMs Blarney? And special Mafia powers? Man, imagine what this game would've been like if more of the bodyguards had bothered infiltrating networks. Sheesh.
    4) Speaking of Networks - how many times do you have to say REVENGE on the first day for all you revenge idiots to catch it. Three of us immediately said it, and three of us were immediately networked. Of course we weren't infiltrated at any point either, so I guess the villagers weren't the only ones who sucked at spotting motives TYPED IN CAPS
    5) I would've thought that there'd be more vote/eviction/movement analysis in a Main CF phalla than there was
    6) Holding the village's hand again, Gumpy?
    This

Jobastion on
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, actually, reading through Day 4 (who cares what people say the day after you die? :P ) on the Money Board, we get the Seer info about CC.

And we also find out that it was Houn who gave ME access to the Money Boards (he got Dogbone in, according to Egos). Thanks Houn?

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I figured out that the bodyguards had copies of the role PMs when Kay sent me a nearly perfect paraphrase of the occult PM and then died that night. I was considering revealing it but we seemed to be doing very good against the bodyguards at the time and I expected the other motivations to be the biggest threat; then our occult group got pretty much wiped out the next night (Oats was on the proboard but withdrew a few days later). I feel bad about this; I doubt it would have been enough to win but atleast we could have made a better accounting of ourselves.

It seems like inactivity really hurt us, both with the large number of withdrawals and people not making full use of their abilities. Meanwhile the bodyguards, much as I hate to admit it, played the game incredibly well and definitely deserved the win.

Bremen on
    edited October 2009
    Bremen wrote: »
    I figured out that the bodyguards had copies of the role PMs when Kay sent me a nearly perfect paraphrase of the occult PM and then died that night. I was considering revealing it but we seemed to be doing very good against the bodyguards at the time and I expected the other motivations to be the biggest threat; then our occult group got pretty much wiped out the next night (Oats was on the proboard but withdrew a few days later). I feel bad about this; I doubt it would have been enough to win but atleast we could have made a better accounting of ourselves.

It seems like inactivity really hurt us, both with the large number of withdrawals and people not making full use of their abilities. Meanwhile the bodyguards, much as I hate to admit it, played the game incredibly well and definitely deserved the win.

D:

Jobastion on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh yeah, in case you guys are interested in that poll of bodyguard suspicions, I got 11 responses. Here's the tally of how many times each player was mentioned:
    Gumpy - 6
    Hippie - 6

Obbi - 4

Houn - 2
    Rawkking Goodguy - 2
    ShadowThomas - 2

adventfalls - 1
    oaklore - 1
    TehSloth - 1

Romantic Undead - 0
    shalmelo - 0

Houn and Hippie were my first guess. TehSloth (because he hadn't voted) and Hippie were my second. O_o

Heh, yeah, I was trying to hold off till hippie voted because he was the only person I felt confident enough was a bodyguard, and I was getting to be unsure of Gumpy. Good game, we probably just botched it with the assumption that the bodyguards wouldn't have access to the motive information, which is pretty dirty for us to use anyways.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    edited October 2009
    Jobastion wrote: »
    This

Well, as I said in a previous post, I gave the bodyguards the basic faction PMs because I wanted to allow the bodyguards to be able to blend in a little bit better with the crowd since I thought the village would try getting rid of non-motive players sooner. As for the abilities, it was mostly motivated by making sure that the kill doctor lucky win condition was not satisfied too easily, that the village would still need to work quite hard to get rid of the mafia before being able to take victory. Certainly the mafia was powerful, but I don't think it was overly so.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I actually had fun in this game, thanks Blarney.

Delmain on
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm curious as to what the "strongly worded hint" of the ninja bodyguard's blocking of an attack would be.

In my mind it's currently something like this.
    475067291_efQ2n-L-2.jpg

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited October 2009
    If you had not evicted Dogbone33 when he attacked Dr. Lucky with the ottoman, he would have learned that his attack should have killed Dr. Lucky, but that a mysterious presence from outside his room had interfered to cause the attack to fail. Something along those lines, anyways.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited October 2009
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Oh yeah, in case you guys are interested in that poll of bodyguard suspicions, I got 11 responses. Here's the tally of how many times each player was mentioned:
    Gumpy - 6
    Hippie - 6

Obbi - 4

Houn - 2
    Rawkking Goodguy - 2
    ShadowThomas - 2

adventfalls - 1
    oaklore - 1
    TehSloth - 1

Romantic Undead - 0
    shalmelo - 0

Houn and Hippie were my first guess. TehSloth (because he hadn't voted) and Hippie were my second. O_o

Heh, yeah, I was trying to hold off till hippie voted because he was the only person I felt confident enough was a bodyguard, and I was getting to be unsure of Gumpy. Good game, we probably just botched it with the assumption that the bodyguards wouldn't have access to the motive information, which is pretty dirty for us to use anyways.

Interesting. I had oaklore pegged, but I never really suspected Hippie at all.

shalmelo on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am pretty glad I died when I did because Gumpy really had me convinced that he was eeeeeevil. Much better to go down killing a bodyguard than to linger on and embarrass myself.

Anyway, this was an extremely fun game. The bodyguards were maybe a little too strong but they were still beatable, for sure.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited October 2009
    This

Well, as I said in a previous post, I gave the bodyguards the basic faction PMs because I wanted to allow the bodyguards to be able to blend in a little bit better with the crowd since I thought the village would try getting rid of non-motive players sooner. As for the abilities, it was mostly motivated by making sure that the kill doctor lucky win condition was not satisfied too easily, that the village would still need to work quite hard to get rid of the mafia before being able to take victory. Certainly the mafia was powerful, but I don't think it was overly so.
    I guess it wouldn't have been such a big deal except that the village failed us. Kay and Infidel were both in networks and died on Day 2. If Bremen or anyone in the Occult group (looking at you B:L) had bothered to spread the fact that Kay had the Motive PM, or had Gumpy even bothered to get a Motive PM out of Infidel (even with his whole 'unconfirmed network schtick' Gumpy could've at least had some decent info on the bodyguards to turn over to the village as soon as Infidel died) this game might have gone a lot differently.

As it is, I'm still unsure why either TT or Dogbone continued to let any information slip to the Money group. As we said on the Revenge boards - if we compromised them, the bodyguards surely did as well.

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009

Detective - You may discard any two cards from your hand to duplicate the effects of the special card Investigate-1. (Play on another player in your current room to learn that player’s role.) If you discard two cards and an Investigate-1, you may duplicate the effects of the special card Investigate-2. (Play on another player in either your current room or an adjacent room to learn that player’s role.) This is treated as using a Special Card in the Action Phase.

And I didn't get a single Investigate-1 card! Unless I could've just discarded two cards and turned it into Investigate, in which case I assumed poorly. And the power description did not do its job properly. I was under the impression that it meant I could use investigate twice. Whoops!

All the same, fun game, I was in contact with FWD for a bit. I'm a bit of a distrustin' guy to begin with, and seein' people who go "People with this motive, get in touch with me!" get dropped immediately, I figured it was best just to plan my time to strike on Dr. Lucky.

Unfortunately, I mostly just got Failure cards through the game, with a couple Move cards. Which is really why I lasted a lot longer than I should've, if I had gotten any other cards that game, I probably would've died a lot sooner!

edit: Also my badguydar was way off at the end, there.

Obbi on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Coyote never contacted me

Wait then how did Houn know about Coyote? o_O

Day 4, money proboards. TehSloth mentioned CC used his ability to seer me.
    I just want to know why I didn't find out until Day 10... Way to network there guys. :/

Sadly I think I was typing at the moment he posting that (since he posted at 6:29 and 6:31). And I probably just thought I had posted- sadly the money avatars caused people to blend in more.

edit: Or it may have been I was more concerned with the other factions at the time.

Egos on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I guess it wouldn't have been such a big deal except that the village failed us. Kay and Infidel were both in networks and died on Day 2. If Bremen or anyone in the Occult group (looking at you B:L) had bothered to spread the fact that Kay had the Motive PM, or had Gumpy even bothered to get a Motive PM out of Infidel (even with his whole 'unconfirmed network schtick' Gumpy could've at least had some decent info on the bodyguards to turn over to the village as soon as Infidel died) this game might have gone a lot differently.

Kay both mass PM'd and tried very hard to infiltrate the airtight Occult network with tons of keywords like the PM in a clearly paraphrased way.

Don't look at me, when it's that obvious that they have the PMs, it's all on you.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited October 2009
    Re: Ringo: Yeah, I thought that after the first couple days, that the village would roll up maybe half the remaining bodyguards in quick succession. But then they stayed around and let the village grow suspicion among their own numbers...

Re: Obbi: Sorry if you found your ability description unclear. I was actually quite concerned about the clarity of the rules throughout most of the game - I thought they were pretty simple, but after getting a number of mixups and confusions in the first couple days, I began to wonder if I wasn't being clear enough with how I was explaining things. Perhaps an example or two might have been good.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited October 2009

As it is, I'm still unsure why either TT or Dogbone continued to let any information slip to the Money group. As we said on the Revenge boards - if we compromised them, the bodyguards surely did as well.

Through entirely different means, you had someone who was dual motivated who for whatever reason favored your side. The mafia had each role pm.

Trusting Houn was a mistake. My good experiences with Rend have spoiled me in regards to people who label themselves as honest.

Egos on
  • ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009

Re: Obbi: Sorry if you found your ability description unclear. I was actually quite concerned about the clarity of the rules throughout most of the game - I thought they were pretty simple, but after getting a number of mixups and confusions in the first couple days, I began to wonder if I wasn't being clear enough with how I was explaining things. Perhaps an example or two might have been good.

It's cool, in all honesty I would've had about...two times at most where I could've used that ability and still be alive 'till the end. And both of those times I would've done aznman first, then Gumpy! Not because I thought he was a Bodyguard, I just wanted to make sure what his motive was so I could try and match mine with his.

Then he turned out to be Occult like me, damn!

So it probably wouldn't have worked out that great anyway, I misjudged Dr. Lucky's movement a whole buncha times, which probably was due to all the move cards bein' played on him. Overall, this was a tricky game to coordinate, and I really do think the majority of that was because of the move cards. Was always suspenseful to see where he'd end up.

Obbi on
    edited October 2009
    Sidenote, I'm kinda disappointed Gumpy didn't turn up as a bodyguard. I wasn't convinced or anything. But the way he played I really wanted to see him turn up as one; kind of a "that magnificent bastard" deal.

Egos on
This discussion has been closed.