As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Google Wave] OPEN TO ALL: invites no longer necessary!

• Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vladimer wrote: »
    bigwah wrote: »
    I have been crossed off the list, but have yet to receive my invite. :(

it means a dude was asked to send you an invite - whether or not you have received it yet is up to google =(

Yea, just wasnt sure if you get an e-mail saying that you are getting an invite beforehand.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vladimer wrote: »

it means a dude was asked to send you an invite - whether or not you have received it yet is up to google =(

Yea, just wasnt sure if you get an e-mail saying that you are getting an invite beforehand.

Nah. In my case it took them a day or two to process and send the invite. So never fear!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just got my invite as well! Hoping they'll let loose another batch of invites soon so I can pass on the love.

Also: is it just me, or is the interface balls-awful? Maybe I'll get used to it, but this thing seems like a usability nightmare.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    it takes a little getting used to...it'll improve over time and when you actually have more contacts to use the service with

Vladimer on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Yeah I'm like 15 spots above you and I haven't gotten my invite either so it will probably be a while, heh.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    just 3 more people between me and waves!

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So why hasn't a PA Wave been created and put in the first post?! ^_^

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ross Mills wrote: »
    So why hasn't a PA Wave been created and put in the first post?! ^_^

There is a PA wave, but I don't know why it's not mentioned in the first post.

Anyway, if you have wave, just do a search for "with:public penny arcade" and that should bring up a couple of waves.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There is a PA wave, but I don't know why it's not mentioned in the first post.

Anyway, if you have wave, just do a search for "with:public penny arcade" and that should bring up a couple of waves.
    addeddedded

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I vote that the next invite should be give to someone with a name that starts with J

And possibly "ja"

Jasconius on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    midgetspy wrote: »

Yeah I'm like 15 spots above you and I haven't gotten my invite either so it will probably be a while, heh.

Ditto. I hope I get my invite soon. I wanna surf the wave, baby! *throws up the horns*

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you want to get an idea of how wave might be useful, take a look at the education related waves.

MKR on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Uh, Nightslyr your sig is throwing up a javascript XSS attack (or else a really bad failed auth attempt...)

midgetspy on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    midgetspy wrote: »
    Uh, Nightslyr your sig is throwing up a javascript XSS attack (or else a really bad failed auth attempt...)

Thanks for the heads up. Removed for now.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    If you want to get an idea of how wave might be useful, take a look at the education related waves.

definitely just went through and read how wave could replace blackboard. good suggestion!

Vladimer on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    I got someone to tell me how replies work. If it's at the bottom of a tree, it shows up under it. If it's within a tree, it's indented. Weird.

It's the Fidonet style. If you quote the last message it just continues in a straight line of replies, but replying to an old message makes a sub-thread starting from that message.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    I got someone to tell me how replies work. If it's at the bottom of a tree, it shows up under it. If it's within a tree, it's indented. Weird.

It's the Fidonet style. If you quote the last message it just continues in a straight line of replies, but replying to an old message makes a sub-thread starting from that message.

I had never heard of Fidonet before people started comparing it to wave. :P

MKR on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

An IM service? o_O

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Rohan wrote: »

An IM service? o_O

...is just the tip of the iceberg.

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rohan wrote: »

An IM service? o_O

...is just the tip of the iceberg.

I gotta admit, that's pretty funny.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This thing is odd. I log in, and it tells me i'm not connected, I connect, and it tells me I'm not logged in, then it wants me to connect, over and over and over. I feel like I'm playing tug-of-war with a narcoleptic.

I really think they need to jump on the university bandwagon with this thing. I'm taking some online courses through my school and they're using a software package called Blackboard for assignments, and student collaboration, and it's a gigantic pile. Wave seems perfect for what they would need.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Everyone hates Blackboard and its spawn.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I was wondering if it was specific to my school. It really is fantastically terrible, and the fervor with which my professors are defending it is amazing to watch.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've never used it personally. How bad is it?

Er, beyond "proprietary monopolistic garbage" please. It would be nice if we had illustrative examples of weird interactions.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Very bad.

Horrible.

I still have nightmares.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

It's like Windows. It works and is up most of the time, but you really wish there were something better that could replace it completely.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And it usually only worked correctly if you didn't have an assignment due in the immediate future.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And it usually only worked correctly if you didn't have an assignment due in the immediate future.
    Oh, right. It hates students. Sounds like the perfect software replacement for any number of professors.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So I was running wave in Firefox on my laptop, and Firefox got reaaaaaaally slow with several tabs open. Should I try it in chrome?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Er, beyond "proprietary monopolistic garbage" please. It would be nice if we had illustrative examples of weird interactions.

Coherent organization of information is non-existent, the provided discussion boards are complete garbage, the handling of quizzes and submission of assignments is also buggy as hell. It's like some class assignment that a bunch of middle schoolers worked on separately, and just ended up mashing all the pieces together at the last minute. It's an ugly, unorganized piece of garbage :P

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I remember doing a prealgebra class in Blackboard. I couldn't read the exponents, and those are kind of a big deal in algebra. I ended up failing, but they were using MathLab by the time I retook it. They still used CourseCompass (blackboard spawn), but tests were done in MathLab (which is decent). I think the exponent issue was a rendering problem in BB since MathLab is from the company that provided the BB module.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I am running semi-live* text adventures via Google Wave! Partly to see how fun it is, and also to give you a laugh.

Contact me at rossmills@googlewave.com and start the adventure.

*It's as live as it can be, with the participants updating only when online.

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    My roommate got in, so once I get my invite I will offer whatever contributions I can.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    How well does this think looks like it would do for online PnP. It seems like putting together widgets for DM and player tools wouldn't be too terribly difficult.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aoi wrote: »
    How well does this think looks like it would do for online PnP. It seems like putting together widgets for DM and player tools wouldn't be too terribly difficult.

All it needs is a map tool for encounter-heavy games such as D&D4e, and a dice-roller, and it'd be perfect!

I think the Chess app proves that that wouldn't be too difficult. ^_^

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aoi wrote: »

All it needs is a map tool for encounter-heavy games such as D&D4e, and a dice-roller, and it'd be perfect!

I think the Chess app proves that that wouldn't be too difficult. ^_^

It actually has a dice-roller built in, although I suppose that a better one could be made. All you have to do right now is type xdy, where x is the number of dice, and y is the number of sides on each dice, and it gives you the result.

Also HOLY SHIT in a related google note, Chrome is amazing. So fast.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It is. When I was having Firefox problems before updating to Windows 7, I started using Chrome instead, and was amazed at how well it ran. If I could have a couple plug-ins from Firefox running in there, I would move over for good.

It still amazes me they don't have a Gmail checker built in. Am I missing something??

Aoi on
  • Options
    hotranhotran Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am actually salivating reading about people's impressions. Does anybody know the average length of time people here have waited between the "yay-your-invite-is-inbound" PM to actually getting it from Google?

hotran on
    The Long Way Down: Clank, Warforged Fighter
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hotran wrote: »
    I am actually salivating reading about people's impressions. Does anybody know the average length of time people here have waited between the "yay-your-invite-is-inbound" PM to actually getting it from Google?

I hear 4-7 days is average.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png