As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for a new picture browser/editing program

RohanRohan Registered User regular
I've been using Paint Shop Pro since around version 3 or so, and since it's release nine years ago I've been using version 7. I just love the interface, though it is dated now, and I understand how to use the program. However, for some reason the tool options palette window will no longer minimise when I move the mouse away (after switching to Windows 7 it's started doing this) and it's really irritating... so I've realised that, much as I love the old program, it's time to move on.

I've tried using some freeware programs such as Gimp and Picasa, but none of them have a browser that seems to work as well as PSP7's. I can't explain it. They just confuse me. I'm pretty sure I've tried others over time but I can't remember any. I like PSP7's editing capabilities (though they are limited nowadays) and would like any new program I use to have some good options of its own, but something as big as Photoshop confuses me.

Any suggestions would be great. I know there's a learning curve to face because whatever programs I try will have a different interface, but something that marries an excellent picture browser like PSP7's with immediate editing options (without having to change windows or programs) would be fantastic.

...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
Rohan on

• GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Free?

Because the only other raster program I can think of is paint.net and that's rather simplistic when compared to PSP or Gimp.

Gimp is probably the best free raster paint program, although I am definitely the first to say its user interface sucks and the OSX version is horrendously bad.

I think the UI for Gimp 2.8 is meant to be a major improvement.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Damn, I'd forgotten about this thread. Thanks for your suggestion, Grim, I'll give the latest Gimp a go.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    you could also try gimpshop, which is a mod of gimp designed to be more like photoshop, I think it's much better than gimp's standard UI.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • edited October 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    you could also try gimpshop, which is a mod of gimp designed to be more like photoshop, I think it's much better than gimp's standard UI.

It should be noted, though, that gimpshop is several versions behind the current GIMP release (I think the current GIMP in windows is 2.6 and gimpshop is based on 2.2). gimpshop is also out of active development.

edit: Gimp 2.6 is a significant UI improvement over even 2.5. I use it at work just about every day. You'll have trouble following photoshop tuts but it's otherwise extremely useful. I converted from PSP8 about three years ago and have very rarely looked back.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FWIW, I love IrfanView for picture browsing, and you can bind keys to quickly open up that picture in the editor of your choice.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    FWIW, I love IrfanView for picture browsing, and you can bind keys to quickly open up that picture in the editor of your choice.

same here. I have it on my laptop.

logic7 on
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Depending on your budget, Lightroom 2 is a fantastic image library management tool that's also able to do 90% of my basic editing on images nice and quickly. Downside is that it's $200 - but well worth it if you're dealing with a lot of images on a daily basis.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rohan wrote: »
    Damn, I'd forgotten about this thread. Thanks for your suggestion, Grim, I'll give the latest Gimp a go.

They're still working on Gimp 2.8 though. So it'll be a while until the new user interface is ready.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.