As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Leave Rush alone! [split]

2»

• YarYar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Actually I don't think there's an agreed definition of judicial activism. Didn't Ginsberg suggest that it could be defined as rule in opposition to the will of the majority?

Yar on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh god.

On Hardball, they had Sharpton and Buchanan discussing Rush getting the heave-ho.

This is one of the train-wreckiest things I've EVER seen.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yar wrote: »
    Actually I don't think there's an agreed definition of judicial activism. Didn't Ginsberg suggest that it could be defined as rule in opposition to the will of the majority?

Judicial activism is actions by a judge you don't agree with.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited October 2009
    Oh god.

On Hardball, they had Sharpton and Buchanan discussing Rush getting the heave-ho.

So that's a loud mouthed moron, an attention whore, and a racist?

This sounds like a bad joke. Or a political debate in this country.

I suppose better they were discussing a racist loud mouthed moronic attention whore.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2009
    Oh god.

So that's a loud mouthed moron, an attention whore, and a racist?

This sounds like a bad joke. Or a political debate in this country.

I suppose better they were discussing a racist loud mouthed moronic attention whore.

Well, it's pretty sad when Sharpton is the voice of reason.

See for yourself.

AngelHedgie on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    Rush is a horrible person. The usual defenses of Rush are that A) other horrible people exist and B) some other thing.

As far as radio personality goes, I put him as a solid first Worst-Thing-Of-Generation as far as popularity+horribleness go. Savage is second because of the stigma deduction.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    ED! wrote: »
    It's that they don't have the sphere of influence that Beck and Limbaugh do.

True. However I can count on one hand (for each man) the comments that each has made that deserve a whiffle bat to the head. It seems the rallying call for the Anti-Beck set is his ". . .prove you're not a terrorist" screed. That is definitely one of the ". . .I should not improvise dialogue" moments in broadcast history, and Beck should've at the least clarified and apologized for how the comment came out; but using that as the foundation for the Beck hate. . .a bit overboard.

Let me get this straight. Beck accuses a sitting US congressman of being a terrorist, with absolutely zero reason to do so, and when people despise the man because of it, we're the ones going overboard?

I'm sorry, but that's a fucking idiotic thing to say.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited October 2009
    It's that they don't have the sphere of influence that Beck and Limbaugh do.

True. However I can count on one hand (for each man) the comments that each has made that deserve a whiffle bat to the head. It seems the rallying call for the Anti-Beck set is his ". . .prove you're not a terrorist" screed. That is definitely one of the ". . .I should not improvise dialogue" moments in broadcast history, and Beck should've at the least clarified and apologized for how the comment came out; but using that as the foundation for the Beck hate. . .a bit overboard.

Let me get this straight. Beck accuses a sitting US congressman of being a terrorist, with absolutely zero reason to do so, and when people despise the man because of it, we're the ones going overboard?

I'm sorry, but that's a fucking idiotic thing to say.

Furthermore, the only reason he accused Ellison of being a terrorist was his faith.

There is no fucking way that sort of comment can be innocently explained away. It is the commentary of a bigot.

AngelHedgie on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh, ED!'s going to have fun defending this. "Guys, it isn't racist at all, but it sure is interesting that you think it's racist!"

Captain Carrot on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone who finds Rush or Beck's behavior excusable, especially after seeing the effect it has on other people, have not watched the show or do not have an accurate gauge of their behavior.

SkyGheNe on
    edited October 2009
    What's with you people wildly accusing Rush of racism for no good reason? You're making Rush sad.
    Limbaugh wrote:
    It seems that the reaction of the sports media, which is really dominated by racial bigots of all races, seems to be, "Well, even if you didn't say it we know you think it."
    Why are all those bigots calling him a racist? It's really not fair that you could just say that about people.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm probably the only person who saw the title immediately thought of the band. :?

Sangheili91 on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Now, if you take EVERY quote Limbaugh says, that alludes to the race of the president, regardless of context and insist on painting it as racially charged language meant to incite - it does a disservice to real racism and small minded bigotry.

What would we define small minded bigotry as other than having a long history of making antagonistic, heavily racially charged commentary?

Wassermelone on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I just read through excerpts that Ebum linked on page one. Why is Rush Limbaugh not in prison for hate speech?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited October 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    I just read through excerpts that Ebum linked on page one. Why is Rush Limbaugh not in prison for hate speech?

Because that's kind of a clear violation of the first amendment?

He has the right to say whatever damn fool thing he wants, but when non-governmental authorities punish him for his bullshit he gets to shut the fuck up and quit whining.

enlightenedbum on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I heard about Rush losing out with the NFL but what is this 'other thing' you're talking about?

emnmnme on
    edited October 2009
    Spewing racism on radio would be considered hate speech in lots of countries and therefore be unprotected by the right to freedom of expression. I thought you had such a thing as well.

Honk on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Spewing racism on radio would be considered hate speech in lots of countries and therefore be unprotected by the right to freedom of expression. I thought you had such a thing as well.

Nope. There are limits, but sadly, unless he specifically calls for somebody to be killed, he can spout as much racist shit over the airwaves as he wants.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm probably the only person who saw the title immediately thought of the band. :?

No you're not.

Brian888 on
    edited October 2009
    Brian888 wrote: »

No you're not.

I was thinking about Stargate at the time I read the title and thought why is there a split thread on Dr Rush?

Nope. There are limits, but sadly, unless he specifically calls for somebody to be killed, he can spout as much racist shit over the airwaves as he wants.

Alright. Man I hope he steps over that line, god knows he wants to.

Honk on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I got all the way to where he quoted Pastor Martin Niemöller before I had to close the thread from rage.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I heard about Rush losing out with the NFL but what is this 'other thing' you're talking about?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Even calling for someone to be killed is a fairly hard line to cross, unless you start getting very specific

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alright. Man I hope he steps over that line, god knows he wants to.

No, you don't.

No-Quarter on
    edited October 2009
    Oh god...it's going to get worse.
    Paul Pelosi, husband of Representative Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif), is now the owner of a professional football team. The famously publicity-shy spouse of the current Speaker of the House bought the California Redwoods, a San Francisco-based franchise in the upstart United Football League.

Do I even need to tell you how this is going to get spun?

AngelHedgie on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Paul Pelosi, husband of Representative Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif), is now the owner of a professional football team. The famously publicity-shy spouse of the current Speaker of the House bought the California Redwoods, a San Francisco-based franchise in the upstart United Football League.

Let's be honest, what's the likelyhood he did this partly to piss Rush off?

Fencingsax on
  • AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, Glenn Beck may not be a racist, but he is learning from some of the best ones out there today on how to start.

Astraphobia on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Well, it's not the NFL, so it's not quite a blow to offend. Not as strong as it could've been. Frankly, I'm glad it wasn't an NFL team, because then it'd be kind of obvious that they're trying to egg Rush on. I'd rather the asshat have little to talk about.

Henroid on
  • Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Well, it's not the NFL, so it's not quite a blow to offend. Not as strong as it could've been. Frankly, I'm glad it wasn't an NFL team, because then it'd be kind of obvious that they're trying to egg Rush on. I'd rather the asshat have little to talk about.

Yeah, honestly, there I feel bad for Mr. and Mrs. Pelosi. After all, now they have to own a UFL team. D:

Captain Ultra on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What the hell is this "UFL" anyway? That news above is the first I've heard of it. <_<

Henroid on
    edited October 2009
    What the hell is this "UFL" anyway? That news above is the first I've heard of it. <_<

It's a craptastic league with 4 teams and NFL cast offs both playing and coaching in it. Elki is the only person on the planet watching it.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2009

It's a craptastic league with 4 teams and NFL cast offs both playing and coaching in it. Elki is the only person on the planet watching it.

It's really great. If you watch it you'll spend the whole game trying to figure what teams the announcers are talking about because they all wear different shades of light blue, sometimes accented with green.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Those quotes are full of racially charged material, but that doesn't make them in and of themselves racist. Stupid sure. Racist not so much.

Really? Are you shitting me? That's like responding to a guy burning a cross on the front lawn of a black family with, "Sure, the action is racially charged, but not necessarily racist."

Premier kakos on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    Anyone who finds Rush or Beck's behavior excusable, especially after seeing the effect it has on other people, have not watched the show or do not have an accurate gauge of their behavior.

Well by your own logic it's because of their effect on people that they are defend so adamantly.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Those quotes are full of racially charged material, but that doesn't make them in and of themselves racist. Stupid sure. Racist not so much.

Really? Are you shitting me? That's like responding to a guy burning a cross on the front lawn of a black family with, "Sure, the action is racially charged, but not necessarily racist."

Maybe he just wanted to heat up his friendly neighbors' house the only way he knew how

So see the white man's the real victim here

Rent on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rent wrote: »

Maybe he just wanted to heat up his friendly neighbors' house the only way he knew how

So see the white man's the real victim here

I've been so blind!

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.