As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Step 5: Remove [DOODLES] from microwave, mix in content of flavor packet. [NSFW]

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Dr, that's awesome. Love the dynamic view.

Iruka on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    jh36nr.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh man, DR...the feeling of having that thing loom over you is really intense! Well done!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow tam. That's really great.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    So, I did a hospital image:
    h1.jpg

And realized that it pretty much sucked. So I tried again:

h2.jpg
    What do you guys think?

Well, the big obvious thing on both of them is, well...nighttime is dark. Darkness combined with bright, local manmade light sources means high-contrast, which isn't coming across here. That means you have to pay a good deal of attention to where light would be coming from in a real environment- in a place like a hospital where someone may be pulled up outside the front doors bleeding to death, there's going to be a lot of light so the emergency crews aren't screwing around in the dark. Entrances in general are likely to be lit up so they are easy to find, and general safety. Streetlamps are going to be on the sidewalks. Moonlight isn't consistent or bright enough to provide a significantly usable amount of light in a modern city, so don't rely on it in a painting of a city either.

So I threw together a paintover to add those light sources, and bring the areas that wouldn't be lit down to a more appropriate level. Note how the colors of the light sources are handled: yellow/orange safety safety light, dingy orange for the off screen streetlamps, green/blue glow of the entrance florescents.

Compositionally, the added lighting of the entrance, the color contrast of the area with the rest of the picture, and the addition of some space to the right to make the entrance more centrally placed makes it clear what the most important part of the piece is. In the original, it's difficult to tell what is meant to be the focus of the piece, which ends up giving it a rather dull, monotonous read.

It isn't enough to simply draw the objects you want in a piece, it is necessary to establish a hierarchy of what is important and what is not in a piece through value, color, and composition.

F87_hospital.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    thanks DR

Tam on
  • Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bacon, even your paintovers are sexy.

Man I need to work on my environments >_<

Lexxy on
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Second oil painting assignment WIP not going so bad really. It's not as hard to work with as I'd feared. Just wish I had thought a little harder about composition...
    handjobp.jpg

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pretty damn cool. Thumb looks kinda like a finger though.

I knew a kid in highschool who's thumb looked like a fifth finger. Maybe you know him?!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I know someone who's thumb looks like a toe.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    is her last name fox

Tam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was going to ask where the thumb was....yeah redo that if you can, it looks like you accidentally thought the thumb was a finger when you were adding the nails.

Mustang on
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks, gentlemen.
    Yeah, I did this as kind of a composite of two pencil studies with reversed thumb positions, apparently it shows. Seems really stupid for me to be at this point in the rendering and still be undecided about the thumbs and pinky. Will fix ASAP.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    So, I did a hospital image:
    h1.jpg

And realized that it pretty much sucked. So I tried again:

h2.jpg
    What do you guys think?

Well, the big obvious thing on both of them is, well...nighttime is dark.

@AoB

Thank you. That was brilliant.

---
    Working on something else now, what do you guys think?

j_hint.png

F87 on
  • Options
    UrantiaUrantia regular
    edited October 2009
    Mufasa Joe, wouldn't a hand coming off the forearm at such an extreme angle have some compression folds of the skin at the inside of the wrist at the bend? It just kind of looks like it's growing out of the arm at that angle right now.

F87- This is cute. Chin seems a little off center, and the eyes are such a huge focal point that I feel like they need something more.

I'll post some doodles I did in my sketchbook yesterday. Spoiler-ed for V scroll.
    brownsketch.jpg

Urantia on
    Ignore the above.
  • Options
    the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow... those are some awesome faces, urantia. Love the look of pen and white chalk on that yellowish paper.

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    I refuse to do what your signature says!

bombardier on
  • Options
    the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    bombardier wrote: »
    I refuse to do what your signature says!

You refuse Ginormous ta-tas?

I know you meant urantia's :)

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i bought a book of charley harper's illustrations
    i am in love and inspired

quicky before i go back to working:
    edit: Moved to my thread :)

beavotron on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aw man, red pandas are the best. Like regular raccoons dipped in strawberrysauce. And cuddles.

Anyways, I finally got a scanner; here's lighting practice from a week ago:
    img002.jpg

reffed from here (that gallery has a ridiculous of male refferences/nudes)

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Red pandas are the best pandas.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mensch, the top part pf that AK seems really exaggerated.

Tam on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    Mensch, the top part pf that AK seems really exaggerated.

Yeah the gun is definitely borked. By the time I began to define the gun my good pen was running low, so I had to redistribute my priorities a bit--that and I really never draw weaponry, haha

also i need to figure out how to use levels/contrast, durr

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    tonight's faces. Not really on the ball this evening.

newfaces.jpg

tynic on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    i bought a book of charley harper's illustrations
    i am in love and inspired

quicky before i go back to working:
    redpanda50s.jpg

Lovely.

rts on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    thanks cake :)

beavotron on
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    rocks.jpg

mountains?

Obilex on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    guy1.png

guy2.png

Projeck on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Haha those fuckin rule Proj, how'd you make em?

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    mspaint

and thanks!

Projeck on
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    is that how they make pokemon hahah

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    J-PJ-P Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    panda_1.jpg

So much wrong with this to fix. Anatomy/perspective and what not D:

Still fun as fuck though :D

Background is going to be fun to draw. I know he's pretty much floating there. I'll figure something out, I wasn't sure what I wanted just yet.

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looks like they would fit right in at a bank robbery.

MKR on
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    i say fuck the anatomy, moar mecha-panda

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    More things!

tt_explode_blog.jpg

The perspective is all wonky but I think it really works. :D

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Robots, I freakin love it, yeeeeaaaah. :D

Some quickish gestures from imagination:
    LtwY7.jpg

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DR; I like it a lot. I feel like your paintings often might gain more depth if you used more colors. also, from a compositional standpoint, the guy in the foreground could had more focus if the "eye" of the alien was looking more directly at him, and it might have made the composition more solid; but perhaps that wasn't your intention.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah I don't really want the guy to be a focal point, he's more there as an aid to scale and to inject a little more life. Too many colours could compete with the giant blue/green eye, but I'll think about it for livening up the city streets. It is very red, after all.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think it'd be a different style, but you could make the eye the focus by using light/contrast rather than just making it a single color in a monochromatic landscape. Bacon would be better at painting over it, but what I generally mean is having like a spotlight, or not distributing your light/dark contrast so much.

by that I mean, you have good contrast, but it's spread out pretty equally, with no one place becoming a focal point. if you darkened/subdued your backgrounds (while leaving the detail), then they'd becoming backdrops, rather than everything being in focus. because everything IS in focus with lighting, contrast, and detail, it leaves "color" as the only way for you to call attention to the eye.

does that make sense? I wrote a paper on composition once, but I couldn't paint a picture for shit, so I don't know.

your shapes are really good though. they help to frame the picture well (especially the tentacles), even if the perspective is surreal.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If you mean that I'm not really painting 'depth of field' effects, then this is true, I have a lot of tight edges. Otherwise, I think I have made the eye the focus by using light and contrast. And... using a cool colour against an image full of warm reds is surely a form of contrast too...?

Also, the colour choice might be doing some of the heavy lifting but I really don't think it's the only element performing the function of leading the eye to the machine. The entire composition is set up to draw the eye there - it dominates the canvas in size, it's a circle in a canvas full of squares, a lot of the buildings are pointing directly at it, there are several very large lines (ie tentacles) leading directly to it. So I'm not sure what you're getting at. If you're just saying 'you should have done it in a completely different way', I don't know how constructive that feedback is going to be at this point.

The suggestion to darkening/subduing my backgrounds doesn't make a great deal of sense to me; I'm trying to create less contrast as the buildings recede in to space, as the atmosphere would dictate. If I made it darker, it would increase that contrast ruin and, I don't know, maybe ruin that effect?

Thanks for the comments though.

desperaterobots on
This discussion has been closed.