As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age: Origins: [Please Post in New Thread]

1545556575860»

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Actually as I understand it, this is the situation.

1) BioWare make the PC version of Dragon Age. The game is finished and ready for a March 2009 release.

2) EA buy BioWare and announce Dragon Age to be coming to consoles.

3) BioWare puts a skeleton crew on Dragon Age to cut costs, the simultaneous release benefits them due to marketing reasons.

4) All this time while the console ports are being ported, the Dragon Age artists and designers are sitting on their asses all day. Mass Effect 2 is too far from release for the whole company to be in on crunch, The Old Republic is being developed thousands of miles away.

5) Said people start making some DLC.

6) Said DLC turns out to be finished by the time the game is finished.

7) Why hold out on it when you can pack it in for extra value in the premium editions and sell it day one?

8) ???

9) Profit.

The_Scarab on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you want to see a shameless money grab, you will see a shameless money grab.

If you want to see them trying to add stuff they couldn't finish in time, you will see them trying to add stuff they couldn't finish in time.

It is pointless to debate this.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Ecko wrote: »
    Is Wardens Keep a day one release?

Yep, if you don't get the digital copy with Warden's Keep for free, it'll be available as DLC on day one.

that always seems kinda hinky to me.

It's what happens when your game is content-locked 6 months before release. Lots of time for the artists, writers, etc to work on other stuff.

I don't understand this explanation. The disks were not burned 6 months ago, they kept working on the game. How is it different from a normal game where you just carve out a portion to sell separately? It strikes me as incredibly greedy, well maybe not that, but dishonest. It seems like a way to increase the price of your game without marking up the box price.

Its not greedy. What happens is that months before a game goes gold, they content lock it. This means that they add no new content or assets to the game. This way the game has time to go through quality control and iron out all of the bugs within it. Testing a game and fixing the bugs, especially a game this massive, is extremely time consuming. If they were adding content during that testing phase, the testing would never finish because new bugs would be constantly added along with the new content.

Now, you have programmers, writers, artists, etc sitting around doing nothing while QC is going on. Even though they're doing nothing, you're still paying them. You could fire them, but its a far better investment to put them to work. So the go ahead and start making DLC. The DLC is far smaller then the game, so it is possible to churn it out and get it through QC far quicker then the full game. This leads to release day DLC. While you can put it out for free, you still have to pay all of those artists, writers, programmers, etc, so you charge a small fee to recoup the resources you put into making the DLC.

Then people bitch and moan and complain that this is all stuff that was actually in the game and has been pulled so they can charge more when the people complaining don't know much if anything about software development.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I do kind of find it funny that a game that is coming out on pc with a toolset for some reason also have 5-8 or however many things attached to the special edition that will probably be made in the toolset in under 3 days. That or godly versions of them.

Barcardi on
  • TheBoginatorTheBoginator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There comes a point in the baking of a cake in which it is no longer practical to add ingredients without completely messing things up. That is the point at which the cake can be considered to be "content locked".

TheBoginator on
    TheBoginator.gif
    Robman wrote: »
    No you don't. It's mass effect brah, just grab your controller in one hand and your dick with the other and go to town
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There comes a point in the baking of a cake in which it is no longer practical to add ingredients without completely messing things up. That is the point at which the cake can be considered to be "content locked".

So is frosting the DLC?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

So is frosting the DLC?

More like a mini cake made out of leftover dough by the dude who would otherwise only be pretending to work to get his 8 hours in.

Cabezone on
  • kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

So is frosting the DLC?

More like a mini cake made out of leftover dough by the dude who would otherwise only be pretending to work to get his 8 hours in.

So kinda like donut holes, yeah?

kitch on
  • EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Either way, it's Bioware and it's gonna be delicious...

...I'm hungry.

Ecko on
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cake is overrated.

Kanamit on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

...I'm hungry.

For some dragons.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

So is frosting the DLC?

the DLC is having room service bring the cake to your hotel room for 20% service charge, and then the room service guy asks for a tip.

Barcardi on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As I see it, the extra time probably means Bioware has had more time to do maintenance and evaluation checking on the PC version of the game. This is a good thing.

WMain00 on
    edited October 2009

...I'm hungry.

....just like donut holes in fact.

Cabezone on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alright, now I can't help but think the title for the next thread should be food related.

Dragon Age: Origins: Just like donut holes?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited October 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    Alright, now I can't help but think the title for the next thread should be food related.

Dragon Age: It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake.

TheStig on
    edited October 2009
    Surely it should follow tradition.

Dragon Age: Dragon Age with a Origin

WMain00 on
    edited October 2009
    Dashui wrote: »

Origins is the donut, Warden is the holes.

Cabezone on
  • CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    God fucking damnit I missed the steam deal.

CanisAquilus on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I bet you'd like a Warden stuck in your donut hole, IYKWIMAITYD.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited October 2009
    What on earth is the sequel going to be called?

Dragon Age : Continuations?

Dragon Age : Status Quo

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2009
    Dragon Age: The Wonder Years

Cabezone on
    edited October 2009
    We all know the next title is going to be a baking game for the Nintendo DS, The_Scarab. There will be lots of cake and donut holes.

Dashui on
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Origins: age of the dragon(s)

Canada_jezus on
    edited October 2009
    Dragon Age: The Wonder Years

Would be ironic if they used Marilyn Manson for the trailers againOH NO IT WOULDN'T IT'S AN URBAN MYTH

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2009
    Metal Dragon Age: Sons of Origins Warfare 4

WMain00 on
    edited October 2009
    Wyvern Chron: The Beginnnings.

TheStig on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    What on earth is the sequel going to be called?

Dragon Age : Continuations?

Dragon Age : Status Quo

Presumably

"Dragon Age: <Noun that is relevant to the occurences in the game>"

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Boughted the deluxe edition from Steam and made my Dwarf noble, I'm ready for some dragoning.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Drake Epoch: Genesis

Mei Hikari on
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dragon Age: Downloadable Content is like a donut hole.

MoosehatIV on
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dragon Age 2: There, We Made You Another One

Extreaminatus on
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No one's suggested Dragon Age II: This is the Newer Shit? Really?

Kanamit on
    edited October 2009
    Woohoo! Page 100! Shall I make our new thread now?

Dashui on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Do it, make us proud!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And if you don't we'll kill you :D

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240