As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

10/GUI - New touch interface and window management system for desktop use

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
This looks pretty awesome, and really does sound like this guy really thought this out for integrating touch with modern desktops.

Engadget 10/GUI

Video demonstration and explanation.
http://vimeo.com/6712657

Watch the video for the best view of what it is. Essentially, imagine a large touchpad at the bottom of your keyboard that essentially relates 1:1 with the screen. For window management, instead of placing windows around the screen, it is entirely horizontally linear. Multitouch up to 5 fingers for different control methods, but with 2 hands, you can manipulate two things at once (move application window and resize it at the same time).

4dm3dwuxq302.png
ArcSyn on

• Options
    BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That is a really awesome GUI idea. but you wouldnt have to redesign the physical computer interface, thats been done. Just pair these GUI concepts with the Fingerworks Touchstream LP hardware and there you go. Sadly that company died, taking those keyboards along with them. IIRC, the the keyboards used some kind of electromagnetic sensor that kept track of the user's hands and determined where fingers were and how much pressure applied and etc. The same surface was used for the keyboard input or gesture control for mousing/interaction, and all done on the hardware level.

I was also just thinking about a hybrid system, the main screen as they describe in the 10/GUI vid, but couple that with something like the Optimus Tactus to control both the mutlitouch interface and provide reference points or interface options near the operator's fingers (for those people who are not good with touch-typing skills).

The problem I saw with that 10/GUI desktop example they rendered is that's just a standard keyboard with a really big touchpad underneath... just combine them into one dual purpose surface like the Touchstream or the Tactus. Reduce arm movement even further and use a zero-force surface to help against RSI.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yea, just as with the window manager gestures to do different things, create a gesture to snap in the keyboard so you can go to town.

It looks pretty sweet.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't like the window arrangements that they say are better. I am a fan of overlapping and arranging windows.

Otherwise I like the idea of a multi touch tablet for your fingers.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The animation reminded me strongly of the animation from the HHGTTG tv version.

Vogon Poetry - HHGTTG

There are some things I can't say i'm too hot on in that video, like when you zoom all the way out the text to identify the apps is vertical.. bad idea. Also, does this 10/gui thing use a giant touchpad or a touchscreen? If it's a touchpad it'll wear out damn quickly with 10 fingers and if it's a touchscreen it'll annoy the users with how frequently it needs to be cleaned.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The video didn't give a single compelling reason to switch from a mouse to a touch surface, except the iPhone-like zoom which isn't very useful on a real monitor anyway. Once he got to the "two fingers does this, three fingers does this..." it was obvious this was a doomed idea.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg