As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Walking Dead.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kirkman might be setting Carl up to be the next main character, or perhaps a prominent figure in a new storyline.

I say this because, in alluding to the problems that a kid with homicidal tendencies faces without the benefit of mental health services, he foreshadowed problems Carl himself will face and the possibility that he himself will become something of a monster down the line. We can't exactly see that unless there's a time jump, however, so if Kirkman wishes to fully explore this new plot point in depth he's going to have to jettison the current cast and setting in favor of new ones or craft a spin-off.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Not reading any spoilers

I've been burning through this series after finishing Y. It's so good

But god damn

Just finished Volume 8

This series is just so fucking brutal, while still remaining I think very realistic*. Reminds me of Song of Ice and Fire 'no character is safe' taken to the extreme. I haven't spoken real words at page of written word in excitement or shock in a long while, but have caught myself doing it plenty these past few volumes (tradebacks?).

I second this. I just got caught up a month or so ago, and am eagerly awaiting the release of Book 5.

I used to think that 'trade waiting' was hard.

Then I started 'hardcover waiting' with Walking Dead.

Yeah, I think I'll stick to trades again in the future.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    bite the bullet and just start buying the trades.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kirkman might be setting Carl up to be the next main character, or perhaps a prominent figure in a new storyline.

I say this because, in alluding to the problems that a kid with homicidal tendencies faces without the benefit of mental health services, he foreshadowed problems Carl himself will face and the possibility that he himself will become something of a monster down the line. We can't exactly see that unless there's a time jump, however, so if Kirkman wishes to fully explore this new plot point in depth he's going to have to jettison the current cast and setting in favor of new ones or craft a spin-off.

I doubt he'll do that. Kirkman has been pretty vocal about the series being a running narrative and that he doesn't wish to jump around even between groups of people. His cast is his cast and the only way new characters will get introduced is via the main plot unfolding.

Honestly, I can see Carl becoming a leader in the story without being an adult. He's proven that he's a survivor and I think the other characters recognize this (notice how he's not ever baby sat anymore?). He's made of tough stuff but clearly has a sane mind.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • xeviqxeviq Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm hardcover waiting.
    I have a feeling I'm not going to read any more Walking Dead until 2010.

xeviq on
    edited May 2009
    Well he's been pretty good with his mandate of "On time in 2009" however that might not last forever.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I doubt he'll do that. Kirkman has been pretty vocal about the series being a running narrative and that he doesn't wish to jump around even between groups of people. His cast is his cast and the only way new characters will get introduced is via the main plot unfolding.

Honestly, I can see Carl becoming a leader in the story without being an adult. He's proven that he's a survivor and I think the other characters recognize this (notice how he's not ever baby sat anymore?). He's made of tough stuff but clearly has a sane mind.

I can't see the adults being led about by a pre-pubescent boy in a cowboy hat.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2009

I can't see the adults being led about by a pre-pubescent boy in a cowboy hat.

I don't think he'd ever be the leader. I just think people are going to start to actually listen to him as opposed to just think he's some kid.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • way>9000way>9000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    62 comes out today!!!!!!!!!!! cant wait to get to the comic store:D

way>9000 on
    edited June 2009
    my thoughts
    when dale screamed help i was so disappointed that he continued to live

damn kirkman got me all excited that i finally wouldnt have to listen to him whine!

way>9000 on
  • KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    way>9000 wrote: »
    my thoughts
    when dale screamed help i was so disappointed that he continued to live

damn kirkman got me all excited that i finally wouldnt have to listen to him whine!

re: your spoiler
    He might still be dead soon; I don't think those guys with guns who are stalking them have much in the way of good intentions.

Kingthlayer on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Huge changes are a coming

Very spoilerish.

Cade on
    edited August 2009
    I don't expect that to go well for very long.

Kingthlayer on
  • davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I read up to issue 63 of this
    Cannibals? Damn!
    and finished Y: The Last Man recently. Now I'm normally not into comics but are there any more like these?

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • The Ragin' CanadianThe Ragin' Canadian Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh man.... that's awesome. Just when I thought I would hate Dale more than life itself...

The Ragin' Canadian on
    " You can't say that, you're crazy!"

" No, I'm eccentric... only poor people are called crazy."
    edited August 2009

He totally redeemed himself with this.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm a little bummed that they would give so much away in a preview. When a book has only 24 pages of content, giving such a telling 5 seems a crime.

Tylerbroor on
    edited August 2009
    davincie wrote: »
    Cannibals? Damn!
    and finished Y: The Last Man recently. Now I'm normally not into comics but are there any more like these?

you should give the unwritten a try. its only on issues 3 but it seems really interesting.
    its a vertigo title in case youre wondering.

btw dale definately gets some points back for that.

way>9000 on
  • BrotherVoodooBrotherVoodoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man I remember reading this through the first 30 and it just seemed like too much repetition.

BrotherVoodoo on
    13669_988031669590_13908669_57296127_2429910_n.jpg
    edited August 2009
    davincie wrote: »
    Cannibals? Damn!

I really like the Northlanders comics. I found them when I was in the same situation you were in.

Kingthlayer on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hell yeah!
    AMC is venturing into zombie-drama territory with multi-hyphenate Frank Darabont.

Cabler is close to finalizing one of the richest development deals ever with Darabont to write and direct a series adaptation of the Image Comics graphic novel series "The Walking Dead," penned by Robert Kirkman. Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion are also on board to exec produce.

Project is set among a group of zombie survivors of an apocalypse who are led by a police officer, Rick Grimes, in search of a safe place to live. Numerous editions of the "Walking Dead" graphic novels have been published since 2003.

Joel Stillerman, AMC's senior veep of programming, production and original content, said the project appealed to the cabler because of "the quality of the storytelling" in Kirkman's work. The series will stay faithful to the tone of the original novels, he said.

"This is not about zombies popping out of closets," Stillerman said. "This is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world (in 'Walking Dead') is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way."

Stillerman noted that the cabler's annual "Fear Fest" movie showcase around Halloween is one of AMC's most popular programming events of the year.

"We've got an audience that loves this kind of material," he said.

Darabont and Hurd pitched the project to AMC and several other outlets. There is no studio attached yet. The duo's involvement made the project a must-have for the cabler, Stillerman said.

"These are two world-class filmmakers who are also brilliant storytellers with experience in the fantasy genre," he said.

Cade on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cade wrote: »
    Hell yeah!
    AMC is venturing into zombie-drama territory with multi-hyphenate Frank Darabont.

Cabler is close to finalizing one of the richest development deals ever with Darabont to write and direct a series adaptation of the Image Comics graphic novel series "The Walking Dead," penned by Robert Kirkman. Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion are also on board to exec produce.

Project is set among a group of zombie survivors of an apocalypse who are led by a police officer, Rick Grimes, in search of a safe place to live. Numerous editions of the "Walking Dead" graphic novels have been published since 2003.

Joel Stillerman, AMC's senior veep of programming, production and original content, said the project appealed to the cabler because of "the quality of the storytelling" in Kirkman's work. The series will stay faithful to the tone of the original novels, he said.

"This is not about zombies popping out of closets," Stillerman said. "This is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world (in 'Walking Dead') is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way."

Stillerman noted that the cabler's annual "Fear Fest" movie showcase around Halloween is one of AMC's most popular programming events of the year.

"We've got an audience that loves this kind of material," he said.

Darabont and Hurd pitched the project to AMC and several other outlets. There is no studio attached yet. The duo's involvement made the project a must-have for the cabler, Stillerman said.

"These are two world-class filmmakers who are also brilliant storytellers with experience in the fantasy genre," he said.

This is what it looks like when I pass out from excitement.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    Fuck yes.

And it's Frank Darabont. Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am positively thrilled by this news.

Igpx407 on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just read about this and am pleasantly surprised.

I only read The Walking Dead when the trades come out, so I was also happy yesterday when I found out the next one is coming out earlier than the release data Amazon originally gave me.

SteevL on
  • Blingston HughesBlingston Hughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Think they'll use the same characters? I could see them avoiding Rick, Carl, and the rest, if for no other reason than they can. Also, their lead characters aren't going to be dismembered. That said - TV ZOMBIES!

Blingston Hughes on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Think they'll use the same characters? I could see them avoiding Rick, Carl, and the rest, if for no other reason than they can. Also, their lead characters aren't going to be dismembered. That said - TV ZOMBIES!

What? Why?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited August 2009

What? Why?

Why to which part? I could see them using brand new characters because the world just needs to be populated by zombies - making up new characters broadens the possibilities for stories. Their lead characters aren't going to be dismembered because it'd get expensive fast if they had to digitally remove someone's arm for every episode.

I guess they could go the eyepatch route, or something.

Blingston Hughes on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

What? Why?

Why to which part? I could see them using brand new characters because the world just needs to be populated by zombies - making up new characters broadens the possibilities for stories. Their lead characters aren't going to be dismembered because it'd get expensive fast if they had to digitally remove someone's arm for every episode.

I guess they could go the eyepatch route, or something.

Even in a best case scenario they wouldn't get to that point for seasons, and the entire made to suffer arc has enough problems it would have to be drastically redone for cable TV. I'm pretty sure AMC isn't into torture and implied rape, so Rick losing a hand isn't our biggest issue. You could probably get 2-3 seasons out of camping outside Atlanta, the road show, and the prison before you need to consider what you'll do about the governor and leaving the prison.

werehippy on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think due to the violence it'd be a better fit for HBO/Showtime, but I'll take AMC.

And it's not that difficult to hide someone's limb when filming. Unless I am misremembering, he's just missing a hand and it is bandaged most of the time.

Tomanta on
    edited August 2009
    edited August 2009
    Owen Wilson for Rick. It's not like he's doing anything decent lately.

Blingston Hughes on
    edited August 2009
    SteevL wrote: »

He would have been good too, but Darabont is a bit more experienced in this type of horror, Guillermo is more of a fairy tale gone wrong man in my eyes.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't think AMC has much trouble going dark places either.
    Breaking Bad has some pretty nasty stuff in it. Granted I wouldnt expect it to be as graphically gory as the books, alot can be implied.

akajaybay on
  • Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've always loved post apocalyptic zombie movies, ever since I was a kid.

Movies, comics, anime (highschool of the dead), novels etc.

I really believe that I will be getting copies of the trades one of these days, but are there any recommended titles? So far in the thread its been mentioned "Crossed"... is there anything else worth reading?

Thomase1984 on
    edited August 2009
    Not a graphic novel, but if you haven't read World War Z by Max Brooks yet, you really should.

SteevL on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Owen Wilson for Rick. It's not like he's doing anything decent lately.

Dear god no

Green on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    AMC gets pretty violent with Breaking Bad. I think the only thing we're going to be missing here is "Fuck." And even then, they COULD let it fly if they wanted.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like the set up at the end of this month's issuse. These people are fucked up and are now facing it.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto