As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lineage 2

DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
I have to admit, I don't have enough information to make a faq-ish OP, but I can say a few things.

Humans, Orcs, Elves, Dark Elves, and Dwarves. Your races.
Two starting class choices, to my knowledge, "fighter" and "mystic", which then become more specialized as you level and make decisions about where to go. (Like EQII)

The artwork is accused of being anime style, but I'd say it's really more Final Fantasy style, it seems like most of the animations and the interface are done well, and the game has a fairly large playerbase. (Around 1.5 million)

Do we have any players here? Any PA guilds?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on

• Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hope to christ there are no Lineage 2 players here. I was in the north american beta way way back and played a bit after release. I got tired of playing at level 15 when some korean super farmer guild took over a bunch of areas and killed anyone who didn't pay them protection money. Good times.

What is with korean MMO's and always looking the same way, and playing out like one giant grind fest with no end?

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ahh, the grind isn't that bad. I've looked at the experience tables. You actually have to kill less mobs than in WoW. And it's certainly not as bad as certain American games. Like Asheron's call.

In AC, the average monster gave about 20,000 experience (And monsters that gave more took much longer to kill). To obtain maxiumum level, right around 191 billion (191,000,000,000) experience was needed. If you ground out 10,000,000 experience per hour (Which was a very good rate for a coordinated group Edit A coordinated group of levels above 80, that is. Max was...275 I think? or 235.), it would take you 19,100 hours, or 2.18 YEARS of solid grinding. Lineage does not even compare to this. At most, it takes 1000 mobs or so to hit a level. Which isn't that bad.

And these days, the super farmers are much less prevalent. And they're in WoW, too. I see speedhackers all the time, and you can bet that if they could, they would kill you to keep you away from their work. I personally enjoy the prospect of being able to go farmer hunting, don't you? (Persistant PVP)

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    And they say FFXI is a grind. Sheesh.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I enjoyed FFXI...but god, the interface, the menus, the way everything looked blurry. I just couldn't deal. And the chat system. Linkshells? Screw that crap.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The difference is that Lineage 2 play is slower. It may take fewer kills than WoW but the areas are larger and mob spawns are more sparse... and you will spend alot of time micromanaging equipment.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Instead of playing Lineage 2, you could take a pencil. Preferably the wooden kinds, they break easier. Grip it firmly in your right hand. Vigorously stab yourself in the crotch with it ad infinitum. You'll have more fun.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »
    The difference is that Lineage 2 play is slower. It may take fewer kills than WoW but the areas are larger and mob spawns are more sparse... and you will spend alot of time micromanaging equipment.
    I need to find something besides WoW to play. I just really don't like some of the design choices that were made. I wont go into detail because I don't want to drag on about what I hate about it like that, but let it be said that I have issues with it. I enjoy a bigger playing area. I personally enjoy wandering around in a game, lost. It gives me an opportunity to explore things. And micromanaging equipment is a little vague. What do you mean?
    Instead of playing Lineage 2, you could take a pencil. Preferably the wooden kinds, they break easier. Grip it firmly in your right hand. Vigorously stab yourself in the crotch with it ad infinitum. You'll have more fun.

Have you ever even played it? There are plenty of less fun MMOs, I'm sure. Game and movie/book derivations, WoW included. I'm sick of all of them. They're no better than movie tie in games, the lot of them. I'm in a state of searching right now, and I came across lineage, and it looked *okay*, and I was asking about it.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, you're right, it's *okay*. It isn't good, though. I suggest looking at any of the other MMOs that are currently successful in the U.S. before even trying Lineage 2

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I need to find something besides WoW to play. I just really don't like some of the design choices that were made. I wont go into detail because I don't want to drag on about what I hate about it like that, but let it be said that I have issues with it. I enjoy a bigger playing area. I personally enjoy wandering around in a game, lost. It gives me an opportunity to explore things. And micromanaging equipment is a little vague. What do you mean?

I mean that you have to replace your gear every two or three levels to stay semi-competant. It is an extremely gear oriented game, and if you fall behind it becomes even slower of a grind.

Cities are poorly located meaning that trips to and from hunting grounds prior to 20 will consume 20-30 minutes of your time one-way, in order to get a level, go back, sell, buy a new item, and then run back.

No horses, no hearthstone, just runnin' around, hoping you don't get PKed in an open PVP game.

It's really not good. Classes don't pan out until 20+ which will take you over a month to achieve at a casual rate, by which time you will be sick of the gear turnover and bad PVP system.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Actually, imo, FFXI is probably the easiest game to get to the level cap ever. You can get so much done in just a 2-3 Hour grind.

It's just that it requires other people to do so.

And people suck.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If only the FFXI UI was moddable. *sigh* I would play that. I rather enjoyed the game for the short time I played it, but seriously... Alt + - to get into your menu? (Or something like that) ...no thanks. I'd rather push F1 or something, or better yet, have a menu button that I could click with a mouse? Hell, I'd rather type /menu than hit fucking Alt + -.

It just seems like MMORPGs today are lacking something. People have become interested in them. They've become mainsteam...but a side effect is that they're SO dumbed down. And those that may not be are completely derivative(sp). I (and I hope most other people) have no interest playing a star trek or a LOTR MMO. Ever. What ever happened to originality and innovation? Are those not key elements of design in the industry? Since when did innovations translate to "In our game, instead of people, you're a car. Or a spaceship. Or a micro-organism! In a shattered world, with the same damn races, classes, and themes." Snore.

Also, saying that it's a gear dependant system is...still, in itself, a little bit redundant. I mean, take WoW. My mage, my level 60 mage, does not break 2000 mana without her gear. With the gear, she's pushing 6500. And don't even get me started on how important spell damage is.
    A level 70 warrior? In no gear, maybe 2500-3000HP? I think? Probably a bit less. In gear? Good gear? Above 10000. As high as 13000ish. Now that is gear dependancy, although, it is one of my bigger issues with WoW. (The fact that really, no character is unique from any other)

Anyway. I don't want to rant about such things. I was just hoping that game in the corner that no one really talks about might have been a little different.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Actually, imo, FFXI is probably the easiest game to get to the level cap ever. You can get so much done in just a 2-3 Hour grind.

It's just that it requires other people to do so.

And people suck.

1-2 years ago my uncle was heavily into L2 - he asked me to help him grind his Dwarven smith for a week when he was working.
    That was a painful week.

I previously had a negative opinion of L2, and the grind week didn't help things. The PvP sounded extremely promising (large scale castle seiges? yes please!) but the penalties back then for death (huge xp loss was the major thing that irked me, especially when the grind is so fucking slow, for reasons Jascon mentioned) just turned me off. Outside factors included IGE, one of them infamous currency sellers - my uncle spent so much cash for Adena just to buy Soul Shots (and the occasional new shiny sword/axe) to help kill enemies faster in order to find better loot - of which the drop rate was pretty much piss poor, dual samurai sword blades is what he wanted most, if I remember - I was shaking my head in disgust.

[edit]DDV, CTRL+E brought up the Equipment menu if you were playing with the default keyboard set up (numpad for movement). I grew accustomed to accessing things through the pop up menu though - the UI was designed for the controller after all (though yes, a PC specific UI would have been awesome) and the game's speed wasn't exactly overwhelming, even in battle.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lineage 2? Hahahahaha

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    blekdarblekdar Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    Well, I'm a veteran of Lineage 2. Here's my jist of how it is now, just to clear up any confusion.

The game has changed dramatically since open beta. Getting to level 20 is easy, you can get there in a week by playing casually, because the game has some new features to make it more newb friendly. The death penalty has been reduced, and in a castle seige is almost non existant. Gear? Not bad, still kinda hard, but if you play ur cards right, you only need to drastically change your gear on an average of every 15levels.

And trust me, the combat is just as fast, if not faster than WoW. Attack speed of 2 seconds in wow? Bah! My character attacks every second,and he's a slow class. Hearthstone? Yeah, theyre called scrolls of escape, and there are town specific ones too, so you don't have to spend 15 mintues on a damn bat flying from town to town. The game also has gatekeepers which teleport you to specific areas.

On another note, yeah, I'm aware how slow dwarves level. NCSoft must hate them or something. I'm also aware on how sometimes its hard to get money, but its that way in every mmorpg. You just have to be smart. Lineage 2 is a more intense game that requires alot more thinking than your average mmorpg.

Don't get me wrong though, I play world of warcraft too. I'm not a high level, but I still think its a good game...just not that great.

blekdar on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The only good thing about Lineage 2 was the open PvP

I would kill a man for that feature to be available in WoW

Sami on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    blekdar wrote: »
    Well, I'm a veteran of Lineage 2. Here's my jist of how it is now, just to clear up any confusion.

The game has changed dramatically since open beta. Getting to level 20 is easy, you can get there in a week by playing casually, because the game has some new features to make it more newb friendly. The death penalty has been reduced, and in a castle seige is almost non existant. Gear? Not bad, still kinda hard, but if you play ur cards right, you only need to drastically change your gear on an average of every 15levels.

And trust me, the combat is just as fast, if not faster than WoW. Attack speed of 2 seconds in wow? Bah! My character attacks every second,and he's a slow class. Hearthstone? Yeah, theyre called scrolls of escape, and there are town specific ones too, so you don't have to spend 15 mintues on a damn bat flying from town to town. The game also has gatekeepers which teleport you to specific areas.

On another note, yeah, I'm aware how slow dwarves level. NCSoft must hate them or something. I'm also aware on how sometimes its hard to get money, but its that way in every mmorpg. You just have to be smart. Lineage 2 is a more intense game that requires alot more thinking than your average mmorpg.

Don't get me wrong though, I play world of warcraft too. I'm not a high level, but I still think its a good game...just not that great.

Level 20? Level 20?!

No offense to you man, this is all directed at Lineage 2, but if the level cap is 100+, 20 aint SHIT.

I actually want some HOPE of being a nice high level character. If the level cap is 200+, then level 20 should be in the FIRST FUCKING HOUR. Of casual play, mind you.

I'm sorry, but the things you have to do to even be semi-competent in L2 seems to scream kill yourself.

AND I HAVE A 75 SAM ON FFXI

Edit: Sami, my dream is to have an open PVP server where registration is only open a week. After that, it locks down tight. Inactive for a month? Your character can be reassigned to someone who wants to play. No whiny babies whining about higher levels camping thier shit when they started 2 years too late. All balancing questing and trying to fucking stay alive.

Glorious.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wow man. The point of an mmorpg is for it to take time. The max level is 80 btw. Still, if you want to level fast you shouldn't be playing mmorpg's. Even if FFXI takes no time to level...theres something wrong with that. And besides, I know how to get to level 40 in a few hours, but that takes the fun out of everything.
    Even WoW has a smooth level curve, and its a casual game. Point is, you shouldn't be able to level ridiciously fast, in any game, cause that just takes the fun out of playing an RPG. Unless you enjoy private servers, which are just wierd.

I havn't played FFXI in a loooooooooooooong time, but I don't remember enjoying the combat at all. But thats my opinion.

blekdar on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I don't understand when being high level became the only fun in the game. Some of the best times I ever had in an MMO were when I was a lowbie, in a group of newbs. We found some nowhere random dungeon out in the wilderness and explored it for like 2 hours, and it was worth the effort of doing it. We were level 5, out of 235. I still remember the name of some of my group members, 8 years later. I hate it when people just decide "Oh, I can't max out in a week, so it must be a terribly boring grind". That seriously just screams lazy. "MOMMY I WANT IT NOW! NOW! GODDAMMIT MOMMY! FUCK YOU!"

I will definitely at least try the game. I wish they had a free 7 day or something.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    blekdar wrote: »
    Wow man. The point of an mmorpg is for it to take time. The max level is 80 btw. Still, if you want to level fast you shouldn't be playing mmorpg's. Even if FFXI takes no time to level...theres something wrong with that. And besides, I know how to get to level 40 in a few hours, but that takes the fun out of everything.
    Even WoW has a smooth level curve, and its a casual game. Point is, you shouldn't be able to level ridiciously fast, in any game, cause that just takes the fun out of playing an RPG. Unless you enjoy private servers, which are just wierd.

I havn't played FFXI in a loooooooooooooong time, but I don't remember enjoying the combat at all. But thats my opinion.

Man what? The point of an MMORPG is fun, not "taking time". Straight up grinding on mobs trying to climb a brutal leveling treadmill while having to fork out absurd amounts of money *just to sustain yourself while leveling* is an exercise in masochism, not fun. I weep for the soul of anybody who plays Lineage 2 enough to honestly think that leveling isn't "that hard" or "doesn't take that long", because at that point you are so far gone from normal standards for what constitutes "too much time sitting on your ass in front of your PC" that your opinion is sort of meaningless.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Again, who ever said that the fun of the game begins at max level? That's where it ENDS, as far as I'm concerned. (See WoW)

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't understand when being high level became the only fun in the game. Some of the best times I ever had in an MMO were when I was a lowbie, in a group of newbs. We found some nowhere random dungeon out in the wilderness and explored it for like 2 hours, and it was worth the effort of doing it. We were level 5, out of 235. I still remember the name of some of my group members, 8 years later. I hate it when people just decide "Oh, I can't max out in a week, so it must be a terribly boring grind". That seriously just screams lazy. "MOMMY I WANT IT NOW! NOW! GODDAMMIT MOMMY! FUCK YOU!"

I will definitely at least try the game. I wish they had a free 7 day or something.

You fail to understand that most people optimise their pleasure playing MMOs by powerleveling to the max level then spending all their time complaining about lack of end game content on the forums.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    *Scratches head* Oh yeah. I guess I did.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Man what? The point of an MMORPG is fun, not "taking time". Straight up grinding on mobs trying to climb a brutal leveling treadmill while having to fork out absurd amounts of money *just to sustain yourself while leveling* is an exercise in masochism, not fun. I weep for the soul of anybody who plays Lineage 2 enough to honestly think that leveling isn't "that hard" or "doesn't take that long", because at that point you are so far gone from normal standards for what constitutes "too much time sitting on your ass in front of your PC" that your opinion is sort of meaningless.

Well I agree with you on the fun part. I take back the point of it is to take time. The point of an RPG is to have fun, I agree. Problem is, so many games base around the same aspect, and wow ends up just like it. I enjoy the lower levels of Lineage 2, cause I have a great clan to play with. And no, the lower levels don't take that long, and either way, I like Lineage 2 cause you don't have to be an extremely high level to enjoy the game. I must be a noob at WoW cause I can get to level 20 in lineage 2 way faster than I can in wow. At least with Lineage 2 people can find the grind fun with a good group of friends. I really don't wanna argue anymore, and just let who ever's thinking about trying it out, to just try it. You can't always trust other's opinions, mine included. Just try the game yourself.

P.S.: I must be a noob at WoW cause I can get to level 20 in lineage 2 way faster than I can in wow.

blekdar on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    If only the FFXI UI was moddable. *sigh* I would play that. I rather enjoyed the game for the short time I played it, but seriously... Alt + - to get into your menu? (Or something like that) ...no thanks. I'd rather push F1 or something, or better yet, have a menu button that I could click with a mouse? Hell, I'd rather type /menu than hit fucking Alt + -.

I am going to explain the interface in the FFXI thread, it is really easy once you wrap your mind around it. Pretend you are opposite handed, it will help!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I been playing for Lineage 2 for one and a half year, I quitted because of work, school, and boredom.

here's some random thoughts:

The game is pretty good, leveling is easy if you know what you are doing. I don't really like how everything in this game is based on clan and team. Group exp is 10x better than solo'ing, all the pvp is done by group vs group.

All class rely on buffs too much, a equal level fully buffed fighter can take down 3 fighters of the same level.

Bullying is very bad in this free pvp system, many people in the weak clan has to "hide" somewhere to level up, setting spys scouting the entrance and escape as soon as the enemy found them.

I hear you guys talking about how you have to change gear every 3 levels, I can tell you that's not truth. At the first 40 levels, only equipment you has to upgrade is your weapon. Weapon never drop on death, and this game does not reward defensive play.

So what you do is, once you got the level 20 armor, you use that armor till level 35 or so, and only upgrade your weapon. To upgrade your weapon, you don't need to sell it to other player/npc, there is a newbie helper that will upgrade it for you for a small prize. This game got very newbie friendly on the last few updates, since there are not enough new players to craft/trade low level equipments.

Solo from 1-30, then group from 30-cap........ yeah that's Lineage 2 for you.

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Glad to see they made some changes for the better. L2 was my first MMO. I don't think I hit 20 the month I played it. I think it was around 12. And I never left the starting island.

Let's see, PlayNC says that I started Dec 3, 04 and quit Feb 3, 05.

I can say one thing about L2 though. I have NEVER seen a game as pretty as it. (GW comes close though, and I've never seen EQ2)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I agree that it's one of the prettiest looking MMOs out there.

And while many changes have been made for the better, one of my biggest problems is all the cheating going on in the game. There are way too many bots in the game, and they're way too obvious for NCSoft to not ban them. A group of 8 characters with gibberish names like "lkjds" all running in perfect unison, sitting down a tthe same exact time, and attacking at the same exact time. Though I guess I can't blame them, because if they banned all the bots they would be banning half the games population probaly.

Also I think there should be a server with higher rates, or all the servers made like that. I know it's pretty easy to get to 20 now, and beyond that, however the last couple levels seem pretty brutal. Also, if it were easier to make money then maybe less people would feel the need to be ontop of everything and buy adena all the time. I mean if Korea can have higher rate servers, then it makes no sense as to why we can't.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Been playing l2 for close to 3 years myself.
    Have a wide variety of characters I can speak about.
    Max level in the game is 80 currently (used to be 75).
    Equipment is indeed EXTREMELY important in l2, but changing every couple levels? Only if you are constantly buying the worst you can get until level 40.

You have grades of equip, NG 1-19, d grade 20-39, c grade 40-51, b grade 52-60, a grade 61-75, and s grade for 76+.

This means that after level 20, you will not be changing your equipment very often if you do some research and play your cards right. Additionally, after A grade in many cases you have the best equip, or at least good enough that you can get for most classes in many ways, be it armor, weapon, or both.

If you have a "twink" char to start with, or even just find the right people to help or group with, you can get to level 20 in a day easy. Level 40 in a week, obviously these are not "casual" time estimates, these are for people that know what they are doing or riding along with people that do.

You have 4 total character stages in the game, your starting class, your first profession change, your second profession change, and then your 3rd proffesion change. (20, 40, and 76 respectively for the changes).
    Likewise you have subclass, noblesse, and hero status you can achieve via various quests and competitions.

Quests in l2 are not like in wow (for the most part), unfortunately most are not very well thought out, are very tedious, and offery little to no rewards. There are a few exceptions to this however, and most vertan players get to know them very well. The quests for the second profession change, subclass, and noblesse in particular are insane, tho the second class quest is the one that more people will relate to, since it's easy to get to.

Money is king in l2, Adena is your friend, and can buy you anything in the game that's available... everything has a price save the rare items that cannot be removed, of which there are very few. All weapons, armor, and jewels can be bought and sold provided you have the cash. Which is a change from WoW and it's bind on pickup/Equip.

Levelling for any char can be quick (even dwarves) provided you know how, and can get the groups together to do it. Dwarves are one of the few classes in game with polearm masteries, go aoe hunting with the right setup and you not only pull in massive amounts of xp, but money as well.

Open PVP you will either love or hate. Pick a server wisely, they are quite different from each other in terms of population and mindset. Erica (server I play on), has a relatively low population compared to bartz or the 2 euro servers, and is mostly controlled by one group that loves to make trouble. Roleplaying (if your thing) is not really found on it very often, and if you play on the server, chances are you will get pk'd before too long. :P

Seiges can be fun, raids can be fun and frustrating all at once. (Raid bosses, especially the "epic" or dungeon bosses range from simple to exceedingly challenging). Much of your enjoyment will depend on how you want to play and which server you start on.

As for biggest downside to the game? The economy hands down. If you don't learn to make money on the particular server you reside on, you will quickly find yourself either levelling at a snails pace, or you will be hitting up IGE and similar places to buy yourself some Adena. You can't make money anywhere near as easy as you can in WoW, but you can still make money. It generally comes down to knowing/playing the market and/or being able to procure certain things that are highly sellable such as level 11/12/13 Soul crystals and certain tradable quest items.
    If you can't make money, and aren't willing to buy it, you will find new equipment is next to impossible to get before long, and will constantly be outclassed by people who have better gear in both PvP and PvE, which of course means youw ill also be low level while others pass you up, and will constantly be losing any PvP's you find yourself in.

EclecticGroove on