As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

1 fan art, 1 Halloween themed, 1 Mecha vs Mecha

RikRik Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Artist's Corner
Stuff from the portfolio. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

terran.jpg

Rik on

• Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man... there's a lot going on in these worth commenting on, but there are people much better suited to go into them than me so I'll just touch on what jumped out at me most.

1) By far your cleanest, most complete piece, but boy is it boring. All the elements are uniformly shaded and with super low contrast. Lighting in space is HARSH, and even if there's supposed to be supplemental lighting throughout the work zone, it wouldn't be so gently and evenly diffused. Also, waaaaay too much going on with all those asteroids in the background. Either tone em way down or thin em out, it's just jumbling up the composition.

2) Much more interesting color choices and much better lighting, but your coloring technique here is pretty haphazard and muddy, and the photoshop gradient background isn't doing you any favors (though the texture overlay offsets it a bit). I feel like there should be more interaction between the headlight and the objects behind it--just a hint of reflected light here and there. Even though it's shining forward, some of that glow will come backwards, especially on the foremost bike parts.

3) That sky is god. awful. Basically don't ever use a program-generated gradient, especially when your drawing style is so painterly. Do it by hand, manually picking out the colors in between the farthest ends of your spectrum. It'll look a lot better. Coloring is muddy and your light sources are inappropriate for the environment and oddly diffused again. A sunset--even at dusk when it's below the horizon--provides POWERFUL back-lighting that will heavily darken anything immediately in front of it. Also there's not NEARLY enough red in the shading of that steel blue mecha for a sky that color. The rest of the content could use more red influence as well, but it looks like you at least tried. The blue mecha just looks sorely out of place.

The balance of the compositions as a whole isn't too bad, but you really need to work on your execution. I'd like to see more pieces like your second :3

Lexxy on
  • Options
    Otto GermainOtto Germain Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The ship designs in the first piece are quite "boxy", overall. It reminds me of some of the oldschool scifi illustrations... but, you can probably push the designs further. Exaggerate the features you like, etc. The structures in the backgrounds work well. I'll agree with Lexxy that fewer asteroids would probably be beneficial.

Overall these strike me more as works in progress... personally I see a lot of potential here, though! Not that I'm any expert, but I know what I like.

Otto Germain on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The first piece is Starcraft fanart, for the record. But that's not what SCVs look like! They look like this:
    SCV.png

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    your third picture isn't showing up for me, and the link doesn't work.

the textures in the first piece aren't really working, especially in contrast to the blank rendering of the SCVs. this, and the second piece, show that you have a grasp of geometry and volume, but you're weakness is making confident and detailed rendering.

also, opinion: that saw on the SCV looks really lame, and they should have rockets on them if they're moving through space.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS