As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Amazing Spider-Thread

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Huh.

Did JMS screw up on May's maiden name?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Huh.

Did JMS screw up on May's maiden name?

He did indeed. May's maiden name, as we all know, is Reilly.

His mother's name, on the other hand, might have been Fitzgerald.

EDIT: it was Fitzpatrick. Untold Tales of Spider-Man for the win.

Having said that, Peter might have been trying to side-track any potential assassins scouring the hospitals with a phoney name.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    1175035062355wo3.jpg
    Spidisher. Spunisher?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    More like whaaaaat?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wasn't there a "What If?" about that?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hehe....the psuedo-glories of photoshop.

But yeah, there was a What If where Venom formed with Punisher.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Briareos wrote: »
    Vengeance is selfish and personal.

Guilt is actually a useful emotion. It tells us there's something wrong, even when we don't really want to recognize it. Guilt can prompt healthy introspection and change (if you listen to it and try to identify what's causing it).

Vengeance is an eye for an eye. It might make the wronged individual feel better, but it rarely does anyone else any good (and it often doesn't do much for the wronged individual).

Well, given the fact that Spider-Man didn't take an eye for an eye, I'd say vengeance wasn't exactly what was on his mind.

And I wouldn't say guilt is what you described, so much as remorse. I've never known a feeling of guilt to turn you into something more than you were before. Rather, guilt tears you down.

Interestingly enough, some of this conversation is shaping up to be the central theme behind the story in Sensational Spider-Man, where Dr. Zabo/Mister Hyde is attempting to explore Peter's motivations by creating an army of teenage Spider-Man duplicates (NOT clones! Just kids with Spidey's powers). In #36 Zabo asks the question "An adolescent boy is granted enormous power... and chooses NOT to abuse it. How does such a thing happen?"

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm loving the Back in Black arc thus far.

I'm too lazy to make a spoiler box, so I'm gonna sum up the new issue like this:

Don't fuck with Peter.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm sorry if this is answered elsewhere in this thread, but it is a huuge thread to read through. I'm getting back into superhero comics after a nearly 10-year hiatus and I was wondering what the differences were between the various Spider-Man comics. Sensational, Amazing, Friendly Neighborhood, etc? Which one is the best and which one is the main Spider-Man title?

I picked up the recent Amazing Spider-Man where he puts on the black suit, seems like a good place to jump in. Any especially good recent arcs in any of the series worth getting in trade paperback to catch up on Parker as he is now?

Octopus Melody on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm sorry if this is answered elsewhere in this thread, but it is a huuge thread to read through. I'm getting back into superhero comics after a nearly 10-year hiatus and I was wondering what the differences were between the various Spider-Man comics. Sensational, Amazing, Friendly Neighborhood, etc? Which one is the best and which one is the main Spider-Man title?

I picked up the recent Amazing Spider-Man where he puts on the black suit, seems like a good place to jump in. Any especially good recent arcs in any of the series worth getting in trade paperback to catch up on Parker as he is now?

Sensational is a kind of off-shoot. The stories aren't really part of the main canon, although they do fit in. I'm not sure about Friendly Neighborhood. Amazing is the "main" title, that's where the Civil War issues were, all kinds of fun stuff.

I'm not sure if there's anything recent in trades, I would bet that a Civil War one is coming out soon.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Don't fuck with Peter.
    Or you'll get a car to the face.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Crayon wrote: »

Don't fuck with Peter.
    Or you'll get a car to the face.

Find the "Jimmy the Mage" WoW video on YouTube. Take the "I'ma charging mah fireball!" line, and replace "fireball" with
    "car"

Me Too! on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Unfortunatley none of the main-line Spider-Man books are especially good. I read Amazing but JMS is really hit and miss on it. I love Peter David and have tried Friendly a few times and I just can't get into it (although I liked the Mysterio arc). Honestly by far the best Spidey book right now is Ultimate, and it's worth reading from the very first trade.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007
    I think out of all the main continuity Spidey books, I like Friendly the best, but it's kind of odd. Amazing seems a bit overwrought in places, especially during Civil War.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Right now, though, with Back in Black, it's really good. I think it's less of a "thinking" arc, like Civil War was, where Peter was questioning his actions a lot of the time. I think this one is going to be more of a "doing" arc, in that he's gonna be kickin huge portions of ass.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    So, the hardcover collection of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane is about as cute as something could be without actually being a kitten playing with a ball of wool. You guys should all read it.

Bogart on
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There actually have been "What If..."s where Ben Parker doesn't die, and I think they've all had Spider-Man becoming a selfish brat who ends up in show business full time. House of M and the universe that the alternate Ben Parker in FNSM hailed from would be the most recent examples.

I had a what if comic where uncle ben lived but aunt may died. It was the same basic story, but eventually Uncle Ben found out Pete was Spidey, and then got all pissed off that JJJ was printing nasty stuff about him and forced Peter to unmask in front of him, resulting in JJJ blackmailing Pete.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote: »
    There actually have been "What If..."s where Ben Parker doesn't die, and I think they've all had Spider-Man becoming a selfish brat who ends up in show business full time. House of M and the universe that the alternate Ben Parker in FNSM hailed from would be the most recent examples.

I had a what if comic where uncle ben lived but aunt may died. It was the same basic story, but eventually Uncle Ben found out Pete was Spidey, and then got all pissed off that JJJ was printing nasty stuff about him and forced Peter to unmask in front of him, resulting in JJJ blackmailing Pete.

Uncle Ben is smarter when he's dead.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Aunt May, and if Pete really does start killing people. If he does, it'll be awesome and terrible all at once.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

This is something that always confused me about Spider-Man.
    He's in new-york right? A huge metropolis that's got to have dozens of newspapers and magazines running. And everyone of them is likely to want pictures of the next big hero. Pictures that Peter's got.
    So, why does he take his photos to one of the few people in the town who seem downright bent on ruining his public image?

I mean, once or twice I could understand. But after the third or fourth cover story ran labeling him as a criminal, why didn't he take his stuff elsewhere?

see317 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I hope Aunt May dies for good. I can't remember her ever making any kind of contribution to any story I've ever read outside of Ultimate.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    see317 wrote: »

He's in new-york right? A huge metropolis that's got to have dozens of newspapers and magazines running. And everyone of them is likely to want pictures of the next big hero. Pictures that Peter's got.
    So, why does he take his photos to one of the few people in the town who seem downright bent on ruining his public image?

I mean, once or twice I could understand. But after the third or fourth cover story ran labeling him as a criminal, why didn't he take his stuff elsewhere?

Because it's funny. I, personally, would laugh at the fact that a man who loves my work hates me, but doesn't know that it's me that he hates.

Best situation like this was when Spidey had the four different identities. There was one where Osborn was giving the Hornet money, and the line was something like "He's giving money to the Hornet, who's me, for stopping Spidey, who's me, and because he hates Peter Parker, who's me!"

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hope Aunt May dies for good. I can't remember her ever making any kind of contribution to any story I've ever read outside of Ultimate.

She possibly killed, or at the very least incapacitated Chameleon.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Also, wasn't she pretty much the driving factor to peter unmasking? that's a pretty big deal.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nogs wrote: »

Also, wasn't she pretty much the driving factor to peter unmasking? that's a pretty big deal.

She was boning Jarvis, too.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    see317 wrote: »

Because J.J. is always writing stories about how Spider-Man's a criminal, he runs more stories about Spider-Man than anyone else and therefore buys more photos than anyone else.

Mai-Nogs: Beating up the Chameleon is the same bone they threw to Mary Jane. Frankly, I don't think one minor act of violence constitutes meaningful event, especially when it's one drop in decades of history.

And I thought Spider-Man unmasking was crap, so I'm not putting that in her column as a good thing.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

He didn't die there:
    He got blown up with a bunch of other second-stringers by Punisher, at Stilt-man's funeral.

Azrael on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Azrael wrote: »

He didn't die there:
    He got blown up with a bunch of other second-stringers by Punisher, at Stilt-man's funeral.

It's worth noting that most of those guys probably didn't die. After all, some of them are starting to pop up elsewhere, like in The Initiative.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

He didn't die there:

It's worth noting that most of those guys probably didn't die. After all, some of them are starting to pop up elsewhere, like in The Initiative.

Pfft!
    Punisher's getting sloppy in his old age

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

He didn't die there:

Pfft!

We all know nothing punisher does will ever stick unless its a street level thug or some crimelord other than Kingpin.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nogs wrote: »

He didn't die there:

Pfft!

We all know nothing punisher does will ever stick unless its a street level thug or some crimelord other than Kingpin.

I can sorta buy Rhino surviving (was in Cable and Deadpool) but it would suck for more than a few of them to make it out. Would be a shame to loose Shocker and Chameleon though.

Azrael on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought Punisher had a better supervillain kill count than that.

Maybe I'm mixing his kills up with the scourge. Where is the scourge anyway? Is there a scourge these days?

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    RE: the superlative Shocker. Given that he's on the cover of a newer Spidey comic, isn't it fairly safe to say he makes it out?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Given the nature of his costume, I never thought that the explosion had killed Shocker.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Are we counting that as an accomplishment?

Because everyone has done that.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Kaosu ReidoKaosu Reido Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

Are we counting that as an accomplishment?

Because everyone has done that.

But how many of them then held up a sweater with "GOTCHA!" stitched on it?

Kaosu Reido on
    KAOSU REIDO - The Bullet Of Justice Caps Evil's Ass

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm pretty sure it's already been confirmed in an interview that
    Aunt May doesn't actually die.

Perhaps someone could back this up with a solid source, though. I think I might've read something about it on Newsarama.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's already been confirmed in an interview that
    Aunt May doesn't actually die.

Perhaps someone could back this up with a solid source, though. I think I might've read something about it on Newsarama.
    Colour me unsurprised...

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Look, they tried to kill her once already and that didn't work. And it was a meaningful death that made sense. So don't bet on her leaving again.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    gabrielzerogabrielzero Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How did she come back again ? Wasn't she a clone ?

O_O;

gabrielzero on
    Roleplay Adventures <--- If you like to role-play , then this is the forum for you. ^_^