As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Replacing My Xbox 360 (How Do I Mine for Licenses?)

darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
Well, I finally won the faulty console lottery, and my release-day 360 Pro just bit it. It's freezing during the boot logo, as well as randomly within the game. No red ring, just freezing. Power-off and eject on the tray work. The light on the power supply is showing green while on, and amber when powered-down. So, really other than it freezing, there's zero diagonostics.

I'm thinking that the best (most reliable) course of action would be to get a Jasper 360 Arcade, and just move my hard drive over. I have a lot of stuff downloaded (gamerpics and themes) that would really just be infeasible to redownload. What I want to know is:

1. Is the Arcade my best bet, since I don't need black, hard drive space, or additional accessories?

2. Can I just move the hard drive over and use the license tool to move everything over without having to redownload or do anything special?

3. Are there any pitfalls or things I should avoid?

Really frustrating, was having a very enjoyable game of Brutal Legend, and instead of finishing my day relaxing, it's been one of pulling things out of the entertainment center, taking them out to the garage to see if they're dust-bound, plugging them back in, playing for a few minutes (or seconds), and locking right back up. Bah. =(

darkgrue on

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    1. probably. an out-of-warranty repair is also possible and would probably be cheaper, but has the obvious drawback of you probably being sent a refurb unit, or your same console back with repairs

2. yes, you'll have to do a license transfer operation (which is a once-per-year dealie), then everything should work fine. you might have to 'redownload' content by going through your download history and acquiring new licenses for everything, but no new actual downloading will be required.

3. nothing in particular, should be a pretty smooth process. if you intend to get rid of the old busted xbox it'd be a good idea to keep your AV cabling, the new arcade units only come with composite cables.

Dehumanized on
  • darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks, that helps me decide what to do next. I'll probably try and get it repaired and use it as a spare (I host my workplace's gaming club and we've bben bemoaning the lack of spare 360s anyway).

Still, it's a bummer. Could have done without the unexpected expense.

darkgrue on