As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX05 Console Tournies: Rules and Info

13»

• Options
    HellSapHellSap Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Yay, technical is much better than allowing the easiest setting... where everyone can just mash on A and let the game do everything for them.

HellSap on
    Always and forever, conspiring with the devil, conquering together.
    D/L Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters at http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/
    PSU Megagamers Club - www.megagamers.com
  • Options
    Zarking_FardwarksZarking_Fardwarks Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    I'm also wondering about the Smash tournament, how likely will getting in be? How many spaces are there?

Zarking_Fardwarks on
  • Options
    Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    There will be 128 day-of slots left. Registration will begin when the doors open to pre-registrants at 2pm. Day-of registrants can sign up starting at 3pm.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2005
    This is pertaining to the Mario Tennis tourney. Please disallow power shots for the entire tournament. Or allow the teams to consent to turning off the power shots for any given match. In my experience the power shots do add that scent of uniqueness to the game, but they also poison the fundamentals of the doubles experience. Generally the power shots only prolong each point by an extra 4 shots, altering the point none whatsoever. Instead the natural fury and intensity of standard double points is lost in the abyss of repetitive and ultimately annoying cut scenes. Doubles is fun because it is "fast & furious". Power shots steal that aspect of the game. I loved them at first, but after playing for a solid weekend with 7 friends we just couldn't play a match that involved the power shots.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    So are power shots unbalanced or do you just dislike the frequent pause in gameplay? If it's the latter, sorry but you'll just have to deal with it.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Well it seems that you are always looking to save time with these tourneys, so power shots greatly prolong match times. That's one small argument. The other is that I'm just throwing out a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me if Koopa and possibly Paratroopa, Shy Guy, or Peach might possibly be overused as they posess the unique power shots. Koopa has the incredibly deadly Drop Shot, while the latter 3 posess a lob. I dunno, you don't have to repeal them entirely, but atleast give players the option of turning them off. The switch takes less than a second to perform, and if 4 people playing really hate power shots, why not let them play without.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Khoo made the rules and he says power shots stay.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    im sure over 100+ people won't show up again like last year in ssbm so people can fill in for their spots

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    You're right, there will be EVEN MORE!!!!!!

*head explodes*

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Another question on the Mario Tennis tourney: Are secret characters and star characters allowed?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    R3V3L4T1ONR3V3L4T1ON Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I sent an e-mail to the people running PAX and was told to come here with my request:

Back in February I preregistered for the Splinter Cell Chaos Theory tournament. Since then, I have not had much of an oppurtunity to practice and was wondering if I could be removed somehow from the list of people already in the tourney. If you already have brackets or something then I was wondering if I could somehow put someone else in my place. The reason I want to do this is because I don't want the unfortunate person who gets paired with me to automatically lose due to the fact that his/her partner has only played SCCT for a couple hours.

Feel free to PM me or reply here if you can help me.

TY

R3V3L4T1ON on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited August 2005
    R3V3L4T1ON wrote:
    I sent an e-mail to the people running PAX and was told to come here with my request:

Back in February I preregistered for the Splinter Cell Chaos Theory tournament. Since then, I have not had much of an oppurtunity to practice and was wondering if I could be removed somehow from the list of people already in the tourney. If you already have brackets or something then I was wondering if I could somehow put someone else in my place. The reason I want to do this is because I don't want the unfortunate person who gets paired with me to automatically lose due to the fact that his/her partner has only played SCCT for a couple hours.

Feel free to PM me or reply here if you can help me.

TY

I'll pass your info on and get you off the tournament list. No replacements though, sorry.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    IceNineIceNine Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    So do the 128 day-of slots apply to PC tourneys as well? If I want to register for the Saturday tourneys do I have to show up on Friday? I understand why pre-regs should be allowed first dibs at tourney entry but once the prereg period ended there should be some kind of open registration for everyone else. If I can register now please let me know who to PM, I'm planning on entering Warcraft 3, UT2004, and Guilty Gear X2.

IceNine on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    I have no knowledge regarding how the PC tournament registration is being handled. I recommend PM'ing Khoo or posting in the PC tourney thread.
    Another question on the Mario Tennis tourney: Are secret characters and star characters allowed?

No, only the starting set of characters is allowed.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    R3V3L4T1ONR3V3L4T1ON Registered User regular
    edited August 2005

I'll pass your info on and get you off the tournament list. No replacements though, sorry.

NP. Thanks for the help. Now I can concentrate on my other games. :)

R3V3L4T1ON on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Zig21 wrote:
    Tekken 5 (PS2)
    --snip--

Should we be there a few minutes early to get situated or what?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    I'm planning on letting in tourney participants a half hour early for practice, hopefully for all tournaments. If we have the time, I'll announce this over the PA system.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Just wondering, is there really any chance of getting into the Soul Calibur 2 tournament, provided that:
    A) I have not pre-registered, and
    B) am only going to be able to register Sunday when the doors open to the general populace at 10:00

I'm reading all these posts about how spots are tight for the Smash Bros. tournament. Are things similiar for SC2? Should I hold out hope?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    It depends entirely on how many people are interested. To be safe I'd find some means of registering on Friday or Saturday, but otherwise it's just not something I can predict.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck