As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So I waited way too late..

GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
edited August 2005 in PAX Archive
Argh. I am just now considering driving down to PAX from Vancouver, but I found that I can't bring my own PC unless I preregistered a million months ago? Blargh!

Is there any way I can bring my PC in or am I SOL?

GeeCee on

• DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2005
    Yes, in order to get a spot for the BYOC room you would have to secure that spot through preregistering. This is because of the large number of people who want to bring their PC and there just not being enough room to accomodate everyone.

Feel free to bring your PC. It is possible that someone else may decide not to setup their rig (it happened last year), or someone may cancel the spot they had reserved (also happened last year). Additionally, some people may have only reserved a spot on specific days.

If you choose to bring your rig, just leave it in your car or whatever and then just walk up to BYOC and check with the room manager there. If you are allowed to setup, it would be contingent on the person who registered for the spot not showing up, or cancelling. If the person who registered for the spot does show up, then you'd have to vacate. If a person cancelled the reservation out right, then the room manager will assign recently opened spots on a first come first served basis.

Unknown User on
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I assume that by the tone of your message that all spots were 'full' by the time preregistration ended?

Bah, preregistrations ended so early. :(

GeeCee on
  • stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    GeeCee wrote:
    I assume that by the tone of your message that all spots were 'full' by the time preregistration ended?

Bah, preregistrations ended so early. :(

I know there were only 10 BYOC spots left when i preregistered so they probably did sell out.

stabn_ on
    Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • BreadManBreadMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Last year the room was never more than half full each time I stuck my head in. I would say there's a pretty good chance of getting a spot, I think a lot of people just check the box when they prereq even if they're not sure if they're bringing their rig or not just to have a spot incase they do.

BreadMan on
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited July 2005
    BreadMan wrote:
    Last year the room was never more than half full each time I stuck my head in. I would say there's a pretty good chance of getting a spot, I think a lot of people just check the box when they prereq even if they're not sure if they're bringing their rig or not just to have a spot incase they do.

This year is a different situation- people actually had to put down money to secure their spot this year, whereas last year there was no skin in the game.

I would say the chances of you securing a BYOC slot as a walk-on is about 10%.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited July 2005

Crap. Well, I already decided to come in any case and have secured a prereg pass, but I'll bring my PC anyway just in case. :D

GeeCee on
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    BreadMan wrote:

This year is a different situation- people actually had to put down money to secure their spot this year, whereas last year there was no skin in the game.

Knowing the no-show rates of large LAN parties, I would say (depending on the amount of people lfg) you have around an 80% chance.

TrainwreckX on