As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On!] Armored Core 4 - REGULATION 1.40X IS OUT - MINIGUNS ARE FAST AGAIN

OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks?San DiegoRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
435559017_77db8783b4_o.jpg
Your AC is charging down the valley to take out a holed-up rebel faction's arsenal when all of a sudden a wall of missiles barrels straight at you. What do you do, hot shot?

B000JIPGSY.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Armored Core 4 came out March 20th for the Xbox 360 and PS3, though most places received it a day later. Although it's Armored Core 4, it's actually more like... the 10th or so game in the series. Needless to say, the game has come a long way for those who've played it since the early games.

The story in almost every AC game is almost nonexistent; not that anyone's really complaining. It usually involves you, a Raven (AC-piloting Mercenary.), making a living for yourself by taking on work for one of several mega-corporations and blasting the crap out of ships, helicopters, tanks, turrets, MT's (Minor mechs), and even other Ravens. Said Mega-Corporations tend to not like each other most of the time and often employ you to screw the other over. In AC4's case, it's set in an alternate universe, so the classic holdover corporations, Kisaragi/Crest/Mirage, don't exist. Instead, the game's set in a world set after a global-scalle war that results six corporations ruling the world in a new order called the "Pax Economica". It isn't long before a new war's started between the six companies. The main character, a Raven, goes out to topple the Pax Economica. At least that's what I could gather from the story anyway. Apparently all NEXT (AC-caliber mechs) pilots seem to be Newtype-ish psychics of some sort with superhuman reflexes.

AC4 presents several huge differences. First and most obviously, AP and weapon power have been inflated to hell. AP is now at a theoretical max of close to 45,000 compared to the old 9999. As such, wapons now inflict a shitload more damage to compensate. Next, we have the elmination of the Heat system. AC fans rejoice! This means that EN weapons are for the most part VIABLE now, and you don't have to worry about overheating over every little thing now.
• Instead, AC's now field the Primal Armor system. Primal Armor is an energy barrier protecting every AC from a significant amount of harm. It has its own meter and its strength can be enhanced via parts or tuning. Kojima Particle (the stuff that creates Primal Armor) output is affected by the generator you use. Your Primal Armor meter as well as your EN meter are now used to power your Overboost. Every last body frame utilizes Overboost and weapon storage. EO types have been eliminated as well as Hover Legs.
• Boosters are now seperated into four categores: Main, Back, Side, and Overboost. Main boosters are the traditional back-mounted ones and mainly affect forward and vertical movement. Back boosters mostly affect backwards movement. Side Boosters affect side to side performance. Finally, OB boosters affect your OB effectiveness. The first three work in unison to affect your AC's overall mobility when using boosters. Speaking of which, Boosters offer two huge benefits in AC4:
• Boosters no longer deplete your EN meter when dashing along the ground. This is a very good thing. It helps you get around faster and quickens the overall pace of the game. The only time your EN meter now depletes is when you go airborne and/or use Quick-Boosts. This is one of the main reasons why Hover Legs were probably removed. They're no longer necessary!
•Quick Boosts are a godsend. Remember the booster extensions from older AC games? They're all built-in now and accessible with a quick press of the right trigger. You can quick-boost in any horizontal direction for a quick dodge. When standing still, you can turn and boost for a quick 90/180-degree turn. Each of the booster types affects the EN drain level of Quick Boost-usage, how powerful quick boosts can be, and how long Quick Boosts last. With the addition of Quick Boosts, AC is now a step closer to Zone of the Enders-level speed.
• Inside parts have been removed. Extension Parts are now known as Shoulder weapons and can be accessed via the B button. They include flares, Relation missiles, a camera blinder, shoulder buckshot, ECM jammers, and a Primal Armor recharger.
• Weapon usage is now incredibly intuitive. Shoulder bumpers now switch between your left arm/back weapon and your right arm/back weapon. X utilizes your right arm weapon while A is your Left Arm weapon. Weapons can be used on either arm now, although any back or arm weapon you buy can only be used on that side. You have to re-buy it for the opposite side. This new system allows for an incredible amount of loadout options normally not possible in older AC games. It also gets rid of the cumbersome "One main weapon at a time" system older AC games ran with. The game now sees it as this: Left Arm/Back weapon, Right Arm/Back weapon, and your Shoulder weapon. It's really good stuff.
• Optional Parts and the part-tuning system have now been replaced with a new type of Tuning system. The farther you progress into the game, the more your available memory increases. You can allocate said memory points into several kinds of categories such as EN output/capacity, Load capacity, Primal Armor strength, Booster power, Quick-Boost power, etc.
• Stabilizers! Stabilizers are a pretty cool addition. Your AC is now sensitive to weight balance as represented by a graph. Your AC's speed and mobility will now be affected by how front/back/left/right-heavy your AC is. If you equip some big guns and find your performance taking a hit, you can equip Stabilizers to balance out the weight. Hell, if you want, you can deliberately make any side you want heavier in order to make your AC turn one way better or go faster when going forward as opposed to going backwards, etc. I reccommend doing it manually; Stabilizers offer a TON of eye candy addons that look pretty damn cool, such as Gundam Style head antennae, back fins, ankle fins, elbow blade thingies, wing fins, etc.
• Did I mention you can shoot down missiles?
• You can fire shoulder cannons while flying around.
• No more annoying aiming reticle. You can now click the left joystick to focus the camera on your current target. The Left Joystick and the right joystick now operate FPS-style.

BIG LIST OF GAMERTAGS FOR X-BOX LIVE GOODNESS:
otakud00d
Arcath
Netsurfer733

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PcEUR73rxn8 Really great example of the game's new quicker pace.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lJmPTOHIJFM&mode=related&search= Really awesome naval destruction... With ZOE's intro song!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ddJbmpzPoCs&mode=related&search= Some good online footage.

435560685_f60f6555ff_o.jpg
435559013_28ba1bf473_o.jpg

Patch notes!

Regulation 1.00 Original
- what the disc ships with

Regulation 1.10
-OB and PA recovery time quickened
-Bullet weapon PA usage strengthened
-PA ability of light parts strengthened
-Bullet Defense effect repaired from scratch
-A part of tune ability strengthened
-Balancing on a part of EN weapons

Regulation 1.20
-Lower the FCS parallel processing efficiency
-Lower the impact force of shell weapons and somehow adjust energy weapons
-Raise head stability
-Decrease frame part energy consumption
-Increase stability for heavy legs
-Canopus firepower increased by about 30%. Weight might have been increased some.
-Sniper cannon firepower increased by about 10%.
-Gattling gun firing rate decreased.
-Omer light-laser back canon firepower increased by 25%.
-VTF missile ammo cut almost in half. (Medium missiles with good tracking and group fire)
-Rocket ammo increased.
-Altair and other similiar laser rifle received minor firepower increase.

Regulation 1.30
- Main booster ground power and QB increased. OB main power and acceleration power increased. (Acceleration power lasts a short moment after activation. After the the acceleration period is over, power drops to normal power.)
- PA defense and capacity increased for arms, legs, and a few of the light heads.
- Back cannons and large arm weapons receive minor increases in power and PA penetration.
- Small and medium rifles and machine guns receive decreases in PA abatement ability. Sniper rifles get minor increases.

makosig.jpg
OtakuD00D on

• Milquetoast ThugMilquetoast Thug Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have a very ADD-affected friend who owns this game. I went over to his dorm one day, and inevitably, I asked to make an AC (he had already beat the game on normal.)

"Ok, I'm getting Machine guns."

"No, don't. They suck. Get lasers instead."

"Hm. Ok, then! Missle time!

"No, those suck too. Get lasers. "

"er... well, HOLY SHIT THEY HAVE RAILGUNS.

"No, dude, those also suck."

"..."

"...lasers."

"Ok then. uh.. lasers. woo."

(After 5 minutes in the field)

"These...these lasers have a horrendous rate of fire and while cool, don't fit the sort of mech I'm building. I need the energy to , you'know, dodge and stuff. I'm buying assault rifles."

"NO GODDAMNIT THOSE SUCK."

Recently he unlocked shoulder weapons that let you fire 6 lasers at once, at the expense of nearly half your energy. It was amusing to watch him try to unload them into a target, only to run out of energy mid-flight and drop like a rock.
    it's still a fucking sweet weapon, though.

Milquetoast Thug on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Robots and lasers! Attacking me!

I so want a 360 for this.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • KNYTEKNYTE Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Reviews for AC4 have been less than complimentary.

KNYTE on
    The best defense is a good offense.

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms, history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall"
    - Adolf Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938.
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    KNYTE wrote: »
    Reviews for AC4 have been less than complementary.

was about to say it got a 6 from Game Informer

in an issue where there had to be at least 4 games with a 9.5 or higher

I'm not kidding

Scrumtrulescent on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    KNYTE wrote: »
    Reviews for AC4 have been less than complementary.

I think Gamespot gave it a pretty fair review, at 7.7.

Alot of the critisms in the reviews hold water, the missions suck (Lot's of them are really short) and there's parts of the building a mech where it could have been easier. Also the controls, until you find one that suits you, will make you hate the game sometimes.

With all that said, it's a really fun game. There are tons of ways to build a mech, and once you have a hang of the controls, fighting mechs can be exilariting, with you shooting down missiles coming at you (gatling guns are great at this) and quick boosting to narrowly avoid energy beams.

And Online is fun too.

Kyougu on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It doesn't help that most reviewers don't give a shit about mech games or never liked Armored Core to begin with so they probably went into the review hating it already and expecting it to be like all other AC games.

Also, ignore said ADD friend. Build your AC the way you want. :D

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I'm really liking this so far, but I am far to scared to go online with it yet. Although feel free to add me to any list.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is what we said about Chromehounds, and then we abandoned it after like a week. :(

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That happens with every game ever.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    That happens with every game ever.

You're absolutely right. We abandon every game we play after a week. I'll go spend that 60 USD right now for that experience.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    PvP looks like it involves a large amount of dodging around, and not so much actually killing the enemy. Would it be accurate to say that individual matches take a long time?

I also didn't see missiles in those videos; needs more huge multi-pod missile launchers.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited March 2007
    PVP involves a hell of a lot of both and both types of matches can last from a few seconds to anywhere around a couple minutes.

There's a pair of really cheap laser rifles being waved around, though. Paired with the right setup, they're too fast to dodge effectively and can easily pierce through PA/cause too much damage compared to how much energy they drain. THey need to be toned down.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    PVP involves a hell of a lot of both and both types of matches can last from a few seconds to anywhere around a couple minutes.

There's a pair of really cheap laser rifles being waved around, though. Paired with the right setup, they're too fast to dodge effectively and can easily pierce through PA/cause too much damage compared to how much energy they drain. THey need to be toned down.

Yeah, damn angel wings. Luckily I haven't faced anyone that's an expert with them, so usually I can dodge them with a quick boost, but christ, if I do get hit I just see my health go down.

Kyougu on
    edited March 2007
    I don't even mean the Angel Wings. I mean the laser RIFLES you can wield.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've done 2 on 2's and they are pretty damn fun. Good times. I endorse this post.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This game is hot to death. I haven't played online since the first day, but I'll try to get on maybe this weekend.

I'm smeej on XBL
    I don't even mean the Angel Wings. I mean the laser RIFLES you can wield.
    Which are these? Are they the pointy ones you can get at the beginning of the game that cost like nothing to shoot and do 4k damage per hit?

Because those piss me off.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I <3 Armored Core. I've been a fan since the original one on PSX.

I found the default controls to kinda suck. You need to be able to aim, move, boost, and fire all at the same time. Having the weapons on the A/X buttons didn't work well for that.
    My solution was to put Boost on LT, Quickboost on LB, Right weapon on RT, and Left weapon on RB. I also switched my shoulder weapons to clicking the right thumbstick. I have to two finger the shoulders, but it's actually manageable now.

I love the new direction for the series, it's just really fun to play now. With a light enough AC, some semi-efficient boosters, and a generator with a good EN regen, it's quite easy to fly around indefinitely, never touching the ground at all. Throw on a pair of high agility missile launchers, and you can really whoop up on the 1v1 simulation matches. Missiles EVERYWHERE! :D

I'm Marshall W on XBL. I've done some online already, and it's alot of fun. Be sure to setup your schematics ahead though, you can't edit them in the online menus. You can use ones you havent purchased the parts for though.

The Deliverator on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is this out in the UK yet? If not is it region locked? I haven't played an Armoured Core came since a demo on the Playstation 1, but I loved it and this looks ace.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited March 2007
    Well, shit. I can't connect to X-BOX live. What the fuck. Apparently it's an MTU problem or something, but I have my setting maxed out which should be more than enough for X-Box Live. :(

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, shit. I can't connect to X-BOX live. What the fuck. Apparently it's an MTU problem or something, but I have my setting maxed out which should be more than enough for X-Box Live. :(

xbox live is down for maintenance.

you should have gotten a message telling you so some days ago.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    xbox live = frozen foodz

my as arms/grenade cannons combo doesn't work so well online but it pwns all in sp.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Whew, thank god.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well that explains why i couldn't log in before class this morning. How long is live going to be down, just today?

Grimm on
    edited March 2007
    I dunno. I wish it was up already. = (

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My god, thats a pretty game.
    Anyway, I just got a PS2 recently, and won't have a PS3/360 for a very long time, which of the PS2 AC games should I look into? There's like 4 right (possibly some more that didn't come out in euro-land)

LewieP on
    edited March 2007
    I hear good things about The Last Raven. That one and Nine-Breaker if you don't care about a lack of a story and nothing but Arena combat.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Anyway, I just got a PS2 recently, and won't have a PS3/360 for a very long time, which of the PS2 AC games should I look into? There's like 4 right (possibly some more that didn't come out in euro-land)
    I really liked Silent Line. That's what I would recommend.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

Until now, all i've ever played were the demos of 1 and 2 on the ps1 but from what i understand, theres like 11 armored core games.

Grimm on
  • VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This game sounds like a godsend, I've grown more tired of the recent games(Last Raven being the last game in the series I've played) and the expansion packs and from the demo and the tidbits in the OP. It sounds like a buy.

VaLiantine on
  • Spawn733Spawn733 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    @OtakuD00D: Aw I guess I was too late to game on my thread ;)

Nice stuff!

Add Netsurfer733 to your friends' lists, fellas :D

Spawn733 on
    edited March 2007
    The only problem with games like this is you cant really jump in to multi player right away. You have to play through single player getting weapons and parts to use online.

Grimm on
    edited March 2007
    GOD DAMN IT. Those laser rifles are getting out of hand. Every skill-less little bitch is using a pair of them. They pierce Kojima barriers like nothing. They do WAY too much damage to fucking merit how little EN they eat up. I WANT THAT REGULATION FILE TO COME OUT ALREADY! It's been nerfed in the Japanese version long ago.

Sportsmanship is dead. Goddamn it. Call me old-fashioned, but at least people can have a good challenge that way without anyone resorting to cheap cheese.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So is there any chance at all of there being a US demo? I like shooting things, I like big stompy robots, and I like building shit. However, $60 is way too steep for an impulse buy for me.

TwistedJester on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GOD DAMN IT. Those laser rifles are getting out of hand. Every skill-less little bitch is using a pair of them. They pierce Kojima barriers like nothing. They do WAY too much damage to fucking merit how little EN they eat up. I WANT THAT REGULATION FILE TO COME OUT ALREADY! It's been nerfed in the Japanese version long ago.

Sportsmanship is dead. Goddamn it. Call me old-fashioned, but at least people can have a good challenge that way without anyone resorting to cheap cheese.

Which lasers are you talking about in particular? Or is it laser rifles in general? If so that makes me sad cause I've always liked energy weapons in AC games. But I'm not a big fan of overpowered weapons so I dont want to practice in the single player using a gun I wont want to take online.

Edit: Also, jester. What is your avatar from? It's been bugging me for years.

Inquisitor on
    edited March 2007
    So is there any chance at all of there being a US demo? I like shooting things, I like big stompy robots, and I like building shit. However, $60 is way too steep for an impulse buy for me.

Rent?

Kyougu on
    edited March 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »

Rent?
    The cost of game rentals is almost one sixth of a full 360 game.... or a third of a DS game :?

TwistedJester on
    edited March 2007

Rent?
    The cost of game rentals is almost one sixth of a full 360 game.... or a third of a DS game :?

10 bucks for a 360 game rental? Damn where are you renting from? Around my parts, it's 5 bucks for 5 days for any 360, ps3 and wii game.

Kyougu on
    edited March 2007

Rent?

10 bucks for a 360 game rental? Damn where are you renting from? Around my parts, it's 5 bucks for 5 days for any 360, ps3 and wii game.
    At the Blockbusters here it costs something like $8. And that's not including tax.

TwistedJester on
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    PS1:
    Armored Core
    Armored Core: Project Phantasma
    Armored Core: Master of Arena

PS2:
    Armored Core 2
    Armored Core 2: Another Age
    Armored Core 3
    Armored Core: Silent Line
    Armored Core: Nexus
    Armored Core: Nine Breaker
    Armored Core: Last Raven
    Armored Core Formula Front

PSP:
    Armored Core Formula Front - Extreme Battle

360/PS3
    Armored Core 4

tardcore on
    edited March 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Which lasers are you talking about in particular? Or is it laser rifles in general? If so that makes me sad cause I've always liked energy weapons in AC games. But I'm not a big fan of overpowered weapons so I dont want to practice in the single player using a gun I wont want to take online.

Edit: Also, jester. What is your avatar from? It's been bugging me for years.

The handheld Laser Rifles. They penetrate kojima armor like nothing and cause way too much damage to even EN-protective armor compared to how much EN they drain per shot and how quickly said shots are. It's ridiculous. I guess this is what happens when you can wield TWO at once, eh?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg