As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Comic Thread for October 19th

• DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    Love this comic.

Love this game.

DrIanMalcolm on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Skull Man wrote: »
    the joke is that a man has been murdered by someone who would have been his ally

no it isn't

it's a joke about how random henchmen aren't necessarily evil, mindless thugs

but Drake throws him off the cliff anyway

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The joke is that people on the internet don't get jokes unless they've been Buckley'd
    Then we go in the opposite direction and remove all the text.

grabbity.jpg

SabreMau on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would have thought the opposite direction would more closely resemble Garfield Minus Garfield in spirit

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hahaha this comic rules

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    Love this comic.

Love this game.

This game is too fucking good.

If there is a controller in my hands, this is what's on-screen, and this probably won't change until MW2 comes out.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited October 2009
    I would have thought the opposite direction would more closely resemble Garfield Minus Garfield in spirit
    Exposition Minus Exposition?

SabreMau on
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SabreMau wrote: »

actually it tells a much sadder story

comic2.jpg

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh dear

Pony on
    edited October 2009
    It is definitely more of the Garfield Minus Garfield sort, but it doesn't seem very opposite-of-Buckley'd.

SabreMau on
  • edited October 2009
    It is definitely more of the Garfield Minus Garfield sort, but it doesn't seem very opposite-of-Buckley'd.

i would submit that the tiny kitten teeth scouts stuff was the opposite of buckley

even with explanation goodness knows what was going on there

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The joke is that people on the internet don't get jokes unless they've been Buckley'd

grabbity.jpg

But he could be writing a list of evil things he wants to do!

1. Kill kitten
    2. Drink tears of orphan child
    3. Watch Oprah

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

grabbity.jpg

1. Kill kitten
    3. Watch Oprah

4. Invent gun-shaped parachute

Abracadaniel on
    edited October 2009
    Which reminds me, we're quite overdue for Twisp and Catsby.

SabreMau on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tasteticle wrote: »

comic2.jpg

D:

Wonderfully awful.

Khavall on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tasteticle wrote: »

comic2.jpg

*slow clap*

Delzhand on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Beautiful edit

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »

grabbity.jpg

1. Kill kitten
    3. Watch Oprah

4. Invent gun-shaped parachute

maybe he was just drawing the vista from the mountaintop!

dude was just trying to do a good job in his art class and drake straight up just fuckin murdered him for it

what a prick

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am a big fan of both edits

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Those are some stone cold edits.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If it's anything like the first Uncharted it's okay because there's an exact clone of that henchman, probably standing directly next to him, even.

jwalk on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i always justified it because the repeated character models meant the guys came back later and they were okay.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    The commercial for this game with the girlfriend that thinks it's a movie is pretty hilarious.

personally I would like games to stop trying to be movies

TheySlashThem on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well it's only fair since movies look like video games now.

jwalk on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The commercial for this game with the girlfriend that thinks it's a movie is pretty hilarious.

A thousand times this.

BlackDove on
    edited October 2009

this is such a bullshit idea

storytelling is an art that translates between mediums. in video games, it can be especially powerful because it frames the controlled action and gives it real drive and meaning. fuck playing every game in a completely open universe with no particular protagonist, no scripted dialogue, no dramatic conflicts. i like stories, i like to be told stories in all forms, and that neccesitates handing it over to a creative party and accepting authorial control

that's an extrapolation from 'games shouldn't be movies', but it's a notion that's headed in a certain direction and for me that direction is hollow and scary

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    bsjezz wrote: »

storytelling is an art that translates between mediums. in video games, it can be especially powerful because it frames the controlled action and gives it real drive and meaning. fuck playing every game in a completely open universe with no particular protagonist, no scripted dialogue, no dramatic conflicts. i like stories, i like to be told stories in all forms, and that neccesitates handing it over to a creative party and accepting authorial control

that's an extrapolation from 'games shouldn't be movies', but it's a notion that's headed in a certain direction and for me that direction is hollow and scary

Well said

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    well he called my opinion bullshit and then argued against something I hadn't actually said but hey at least he did so eloquently

TheySlashThem on
    edited October 2009
    well he called my opinion bullshit and then argued against something I hadn't actually said but hey at least he did so eloquently

What are you saying, tdot

You can tell me

This is a safe place for you

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I will say plainly I could do without ten minutes of cut scene
    Hell five minutes gets to be pretty damn boring unless it's at the end
    After 2-3 minutes I'd like to have some input in the events that are going on in this supposedly interactive entertainment

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited October 2009

it was pretty eloquent, huh

i do what i can

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

What the fuck, this is an intelligent perspective! You noticed that "open world" stuff is usually bland and pointless and dull as hell? Get that shit outta here!

EDIT: I would like to point out, though, that sometimes games can actually express an idea through mechanics. My favorite example of this is Starcraft; the valuelessness of human life in war is a pretty clear idea, right? But it's best expressed not by the story just showing you whole worlds being destroyed over politics while greater threats loom on the horizon. It's best expressed when you're playing a multiplayer match and you kill your own troops, either through suicide missions or by actually shooting them yourself in your own base, because they are obsolete and you need to clear out food ASAP to build the new, high-tech shit that you believe will win the upcoming battle. You are killing some of your people to save the rest, but this is an action that would be considered absolutely horrific in reality. Imagine a real-world military leader doing that. The beauty of it, though, is that it's completely your choice to do it in the literal sense; you'll probably lose if you don't do it, but the game doesn't force it on you in a cutscene, it leaves you to do the killing completely on your own.

Defender on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    maybe he was just drawing the vista from the mountaintop!
    dude was just trying to do a good job in his art class and drake straight up just fuckin murdered him for it
    what a prick
    Well, he was actually still getting ready to apply. He chose the pirate!
    drawme1.jpg

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
    edited October 2009
    Defender wrote: »

What the fuck, this is an intelligent perspective! You noticed that "open world" stuff is usually bland and pointless and dull as hell? Get that shit outta here!

i didn't 'notice that it is'. i just understand why it very easily can be

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Uncharted 2 is not a video game that's like a movie

Uncharted 2 is like playing a movie

It isn't some Metal Gear Solid bullshit where you watch a cutscene for fucking ever and then the game itself sucks.

It is a game where you're taking down helicopters while riding on top of speeding trains or jumping between speeding jeeps while taking down opposing vehicles in real time. MGS reserved all the coolest shit for cutscenes; that never quite sat right with me. Uncharted 2 saves all the coolest shit for gameplay.

Also I'm typically not a huge fan of co-op, but I did some matches just now and hot sweet Jesus it's so good. Capcom should look at this and then hang their head in embarrassment after RE5; this is how you do fucking co-op.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited October 2009
    I haven't played either Uncharted game but I heard that in one of them there's a sequence on a U-boat and the animation is so good that when your character goes through a door he grabs onto the side and levers himself in

And just the thought of that makes me happy

Animation is so fucking key to cinematic video games, it sucks that more developers don't realize it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited October 2009
    if you think drake carefully navigating his way through a sub at the start of drake's fortune is impressive, you wait 'til you play the games

the animation, performances and cinematic scripting is unparalleled

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really liked the mgs4 gamplay and to an extend the shorter cutscenes before they took a sharp turn towards crazyville.

now I want to play uncharted 1 again.

also am I wrong to have this feeling of being sad when people really look forward to a sequel and then like the original more? I feel like a sequel should take whatever mistakess the original made, fix them, and then improve on the rest as opposed to just making another ___.

this isn't a definitive "rar those people suck" thing. Just a.. Thought?

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited October 2009
    It's definitely sad, but so far I think bsjezz is the only one I've seen that's even considering the idea that Uncharted 1 is better than 2.

UnbreakableVow on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MGS4 had really cool gameplay. Just way too low a "gameplay : stupid bullshit bad writing" ratio.

Defender on
This discussion has been closed.