As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - Release date set for January 26, 2010. 29 January in Europa.

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cabezone wrote: »
    So I just started reading up on this game. What the hell is the point of a possible ending where Shepard dies in the end of 2 if he's still alive in 3?

Entertaining people who might find that narratively compelling? Just because it ain't canon doesn't mean it can't be badass and fun.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The comment (I'm paraphrasing) by Hudson "If you die in 2, you will play as a Shepard in 3 just not the same Shepard"

confused the hell out of me. I thought they were going to pull a Faramir, but most others seem convinced they just ignore you died.

Egos on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Cabezone wrote: »
    So I just started reading up on this game. What the hell is the point of a possible ending where Shepard dies in the end of 2 if he's still alive in 3?

Entertaining people who might find that narratively compelling? Just because it ain't canon doesn't mean it can't be badass and fun.

Yeah, when the primary story element of the game is described as a 'suicide mission,' I think it only makes sense to leave open the possibility of accomplishing the mission and not making it out alive. With that ending on the table, it adds a little more sense of accomplishment to those who DO beat the game with Shepard alive. Then you can start ME3 with YOUR Shepard instead of just Shepard.

I'm a big fan. :^:

Bobble on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow, I forgot how fast you level in this game.

I've been playing for three hours and I've gained almost 10 levels.

Edit: 12 now. Just finished Noveria.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Prospero wrote: »
    langfor6 wrote: »
    After Virmire, the Salarian vendor hangs out right across from the hat wearing douche in the Normandy and also tries to sell you stuff.

Fuckers are setting up franchises down there.

I thought that was one of the soldier dudes, not Morlan.

"WELCOME TO MORLAN'S FAMOUS SHOP!

YOU WILL BE PLEASED I THINK!"

If only I could have that every second I spend in the Normandy.

"YOU WANT MANY GOOD SUPPLIES, YES?"

God, I love that line. Don't know why. It just...sings.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was always partial to Delen. There is something about a six foot jellyfish becoming you into his 'decadent emporium' that reeks of vice and sin.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Egos wrote: »
    The comment (I'm paraphrasing) by Hudson "If you die in 2, you will play as a Shepard in 3 just not the same Shepard"

confused the hell out of me. I thought they were going to pull a Faramir, but most others seem convinced they just ignore you died.

What he means is that you can't load your ME2 save game into ME3 if your Sheppard died, so you have to create a new one or use the default one, and the background decisions (save the Rachni or not, save the council or not), romances, etc, will be that of the default Sheppard, not the decisions you made with your character in your game.

Basically the only way you can import an ME2 save game into ME3 is a savegame where your Sheppard survived.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've done a paragon run and a renegade run now. My next run my be my canon run if I hit 60, and I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that the council will never live again. Also, no Udina for stabbing me in the back. Jerk.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    ShowerheadShowerhead Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Very OT but since I just heard it...

There is a song by Matthew Good Band called "Man of Action" whose intro reminds me very much of music found in ME. I'd suggest a listen to anyone who's got a few minutes to DL.

That way you can tell me if I'm crazy, or if I play the game too much :)

Showerhead on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The_Scarab on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    holy balls i did not see that

Nuzak on
  • Options
    ProsperoProspero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Uh, considering how shitty the Avenger was in the first Mass Effect, I find it extremely hard to believe that it is "the choice of soldiers and mercenaries alike" because of its "high accuracy". Sounds like they are trying to revise the prevalence of 'military-grade' weapons that had a big fat 1 for accuracy.

Prospero on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Maybe they are trying to make weapons just not suck and have genuinely different advantages/disadvantages instead of being "whatever XIII". I would far rather have weapons tiered by companies and upgrades than the previous games system.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    oh

it's just one assault rifle

hey maybe in ME2 we won't have about 10 different variations on the same gun, so this is basically one of the few assault rifles- they were talking in the armour Q&A about getting rid of sub-optimal weapons and armours

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Maybe they are trying to make weapons just not suck and have genuinely different advantages/disadvantages instead of being "whatever XIII". I would far rather have weapons tiered by companies and upgrades than the previous games system.

yeah, what he said

Nuzak on
  • Options
    ProsperoProspero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

I would, as well. I just found it hilarious that they chose one of the shittiest rifles from the first ME to make the symbolic assault rifle.

Prospero on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    oh

hey maybe in ME2 we won't have about 10 different variations on the same gun, so this is basically one of the few assault rifles- they were talking in the armour Q&A about getting rid of sub-optimal weapons and armours

That sounds great. I hate the low-level subpar shit weapons/armor/doodads dropping at high levels. It makes managing the inventory a damn nightmare. Also, if they could have separate item tabs in the vendor window for buying/selling any weapons/armor/mods/etc. that would be super also.

Havelock on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I understand your point now.

That is pretty hilarious.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Bah, crappy alien guns. Give me a HK and a nuke gun and I'll make those buggers bleed.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Havelock wrote: »
    oh

That sounds great. I hate the low-level subpar shit weapons/armor/doodads dropping at high levels. It makes managing the inventory a damn nightmare. Also, if they could have separate item tabs in the vendor window for buying/selling any weapons/armor/mods/etc. that would be super also.

yeah they are getting rid of heavy/light/med distinctions because when you pick up heavy collosus x and you're a dainty engineer that sucks balls

so if they are trimming the fat in all the other areas, fuck yeah

Nuzak on
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Guess we meet taky's salarian in a dingy bar in Omega, then. I know where to go first.

QuirkyLittleTyrant on
    PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    850 rounds per minute? I expect things to die and die fast with something like that... That's just over 14 rounds per second.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Guess we meet taky's salarian in a dingy bar in Omega, then. I know where to go first.

I like to think that in Screen 1, you can see Tali's cleavage.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Which is by far the most important thing.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I found the possibility of romancing Tali interesting before Mass Effect actually came out and we didn't know she was a teenager....

I may have felt differently were I a teenager.

Egos on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I found the possibility of romancing Tali interesting before Mass Effect actually came out and we didn't know she was a teenager....

i personally felt worse being the equivalent of an asari pedophile.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh

Huh. Earlier today there was also a missile launcher up there. It had the little animation of it folding in to its compact version, talked about it identifies friends from foes and can lock on to enemies and only gives enemies something like a 6.8% chance to evade (seriously, it had a percentage like that).

Wonder why they removed that.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Liara kinda creeped me out and Ashley reminded me too much of frat boys.... Like if one of the nicer Frat Boys was transformed into a woman...

....you get what I mean...

:?

Egos on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TL;DR Egos wants to stick it in a frat boy

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Liara kinda creeped me out and Ashley reminded me too much of frat boys.... Like if one of the nicer Frat Boys was transformed into a woman...

....you get what I mean...

:?

tali was the best adjusted of the group

and she's an adult among her species, so as far as i'm concerned, having to choose liara if you wanted some alien lovin' was positively criminal

i'm not going to mention hips

SHIT

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Isn't it the opposite? Or are you saying my FratBrophobia is secretly hiding my inner FratBrosexual nature?

Egos on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    TL;DR Egos wants to stick it in a frat boy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zvTRQr7ns8

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    oh

Huh. Earlier today there was also a missile launcher up there. It had the little animation of it folding in to its compact version, talked about it identifies friends from foes and can lock on to enemies and only gives enemies something like a 6.8% chance to evade (seriously, it had a percentage like that).

maybe it's a rotating cycle?

i wanna see

Nuzak on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    850 rounds per minute? I expect things to die and die fast with something like that... That's just over 14 rounds per second.

Pretty standard for an automatic rifle.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh

Did the name of the weapon include the word "Casual"?

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Here's a pic and info for the missile launcher:

me2ml.jpg

MISSLE LAUNCHER

Popular Manufacturer(s): Armax Arsenal
    Training Required: Heavy Weapons
    Rounds per minute: 80
    Related weapons: Friend-or-Foe self-propelled explosive projectiles

DESCRIPTION: The missile launcher is a ideal for engagements involving large-scale opposition. The standard collapsible design allows for single-person portability. "Friend-or-foe projectiles" ensure the missile launcher's superb effectiveness - the weapon can be fired from behind cover; within milliseconds, the missiles will identify, lock onto, and track organic or synthetic enemies. Intended targets have a 6.8% chance (depending upon weather conditions and available cover) of evading impact.

There were no other screenshots of it. It just had a couple 'classified' images in place of the thumbnails.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Here's a pic and info for the missile launcher:

me2ml.jpg

MISSLE LAUNCHER

very phallic

Egos on
  • Options
    BirudojinBirudojin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's the heavy weapon from the E3 demo, I believe (the one that shoots blue magic missiles at the enemies)

edit:

and yeah, ME2 assault rifle > ME1 assault rifle

Birudojin on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    80 rounds per minute on a missile launcher?

That can't be correct.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    80 rounds per minute on a missile launcher?

That can't be correct.
    With a 1 round clip.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.