As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - Release date set for January 26, 2010. 29 January in Europa.

1565758596062»

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh right, clips in ME2. I forgoteded that.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What I'm wondering is how they're going to balance something like that. Hypothetically, say you go out on a mission and you only have ten missiles to launch. What's to stop someone from just holding onto those until the "boss fight" (think Saren on Virmire) and then just taking out the missile launcher and unloading all 10 into the boss, which would presumably trivialize the climactic fight. I suppose there's a few options:

1) Make the missiles hit for relatively little damage. That seems like a bad idea. Who wants a weak missile launcher?

2) Give the missile launcher a big cooldown. Something like one minute to re-charge or something. But considering that missile launcher shoots at a pace of over one missile per second, this option it out the window.

3) Maybe do a couple boss fights? Sort of like on Feros with that geth ambush outside the facility and then the krogan/geth group at the end?

But even that wouldn't really solve the problem of trivializing certain fights. It might even cause another problem, someone holding onto their missiles waiting for the big final fight of the mission, a big fight not happening, and as a result that person hasn't used the big cool new toy at all on that mission.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the heavy weapons in ME2.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    ProsperoProspero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They have clips in Mass Effect? I hope there is no ammo limit, just clips to replace the annoying OVERHEAT feature.

Prospero on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    think of it more like the fat man from fallout 3

you get very little ammo for it, and it a lot of situations it's simply impractical next to your trusty rifle

the situations where it is practical are the ones where you are hunting behemoths and they need a couple nukes to kill them

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Prospero wrote: »
    They have clips in Mass Effect? I hope there is no ammo limit, just clips to replace the annoying OVERHEAT feature.

That's the idea; yes.

Though Heavy Weapons will have actual projectiles or whatever, with limited ammo.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    ProsperoProspero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Prospero wrote: »

That's the idea; yes.

Though Heavy Weapons will have actual projectiles or whatever, with limited ammo.

As long as I am not looking all over for ammo for my assault rifle that didn't need ammo two missions ago, I am fine. Heavy weapons is understandable, otherwise you would kick ass.

Prospero on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    80 rounds per minute on a missile launcher?

That can't be correct.
    With a 1 round clip.

In the E3 demo the missile launcher certainly didn't have a clip size of one. The guy playing the game was able to fire them off back-to-back every second or so.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    80 rounds per minute on a missile launcher?

That can't be correct.
    With a 1 round clip.

In the E3 demo the missile launcher certainly didn't have a clip size of one. The guy playing the game was able to fire them off back-to-back every second or so.

yeah it was rapid fire, and he had like 60 missiles to take out the turrets

the guys were p. keen to stress that you would not have 60 missiles to throw around like that in the actual game

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »

the guys were p. keen to stress that you would not have 60 missiles to throw around like that in the actual game

Well, yeah, but the number of missiles wasn't the issue these guys were talking about, it was the speed with which they were being fired.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Well, yeah, but the number of missiles wasn't the issue these guys were talking about, it was the speed with which they were being fired.

bullets in mass effect are tiny tiny chips

why would missiles not be slightly larger explosive chips

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited October 2009

"bullets" in ME1 were shavings off a chunk of metal propelled through the weapon.

This isn't a viable method of delivering explosive charges.

Also I suspect (hope?) heavy weapons will include more than just simple missiles, but lasers and other things.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

"bullets" in ME1 were shavings off a chunk of metal propelled through the weapon.

This isn't a viable method of delivering explosive charges.

Also I suspect (hope?) heavy weapons will include more than just simple missiles, but lasers and other things.
    There were High Explosive rounds in ME.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    because of the highly volatile nature of shuttup you're hurting my head

Joolander on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Guess we meet taky's salarian in a dingy bar in Omega, then. I know where to go first.

It may be just me, but some of the pics of the inside of Omega reminds me of Los Angeles from Blade Runner. But, you know, about five times more seedy/worse and with aliens.

*edit: shit, I didn't know that bringing up Blade Runner would kill a fucking thread.

Havelock on
  • Options
    dark_porpoisedark_porpoise Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't think "no posts in an hour" is killing a thread.

dark_porpoise on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Havelock wrote: »

Guess we meet taky's salarian in a dingy bar in Omega, then. I know where to go first.

It may be just me, but some of the pics of the inside of Omega reminds me of Los Angeles from Blade Runner. But, you know, about five times more seedy/worse and with aliens.

*edit: shit, I didn't know that bringing up Blade Runner would kill a fucking thread.

There's only one thing that can kill a thread faster then that classic movie around here

screenshot1.jpg

Robman on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    nnnnnnyyyyyyyyeeeeeeaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Khavall on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just remembered I haven't played that one mod for it. I fucking hate you.

Will Mass Effect have hilarious Asian and French accents?

Couscous on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Before I sacrifice what was a much needed night of sleep to this game, I have one thing to say to you, robman.

Payback's a bitch

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So much for the late night study crowd

I think we're bad, bad people Khavall

Robman on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't even know what that is.

I started my hardcore run today, but I realized that I don't really feel like doing two runs of the game back to back. My plan to finish all the achievements before ME 2 is in dire peril.

Am I a bad person?

langfor6 on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »

I started my hardcore run today, but I realized that I don't really feel like doing two runs of the game back to back. My plan to finish all the achievements before ME 2 is in dire peril.

If it makes you feel better, I'm doing the exact same thing and had the exact same thoughts. A healthy supply of dialog set me right.

My "this isn't worth it" came about when I kept dying because it's been so long since I played the game at all that I kept trying to storm into UNC enemy bases with my tiny little vanguard and no good strategy.

e: I also have to say that the speech you make when you're leaving the Citadel and in command of the Normandy is, I feel, one of the best bits of dialog in video games. The fact that I have sway as to how it comes out makes it even better.

T4CT on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I feel bad for not knowing where in Deus Ex that screenshot is taken from. Guess I better play through the whole thing to find out.

I want ME2 so bad, but why am I not motivated to finish my "canon" ME1 playthrough...

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The game is pretty linear when you get right down to it, there aren't really multiple pathways like Deus Ex has, nor do different classes dramatically change the core gameplay like Deus Ex.

heheheheh

Robman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »

Am I a bad person?

Not really. I've blown Virmire and have found myself stuck in an apathy rut. Rather than force myself through the rest of the game, I'm taking time off by playing a quick Guard runthrough of DoW: Dark Crusade until I get out of that rut.

I'll be back to ME in a day or two. I need to get it done before Dragon Age comes out, because I aim on playing that until ME2 comes out.

For the achievements, unless I get like a super cool present in ME2 for it, I'm not going to lose sleep over trying to get them all.

Havelock on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Havelock wrote: »

There's only one thing that can kill a thread faster then that classic movie around here

screenshot1.jpg
    I just like posting this:

deusexeffect.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    :lol:

Havelock on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am still holding out for the romanceable Vorcha option.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    SeanOrangeSeanOrange Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay, so now having seen the subsequent character videos, I am extremely worried about the tone of this game. It's reminding me too much of the Prince of Persia: Warrior Within... let's call it a motif... where people would scream "FUCK SHIT COCK" because it made everything more "mature" and "edgy". Subject Zero is like that first Warrior Within cronie you had to fight -- ludicrous to look at, and a personality about as deep as tissue paper.

Did BioWare give this game over to Ubisoft? Is that why it's coming out on time?

SeanOrange on
    sig_powet-director.pngsig_powet-powetcast.pngsig_powet-famicomdojo.pngsig_powet-keepplaying.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You must be new.

Now shut up before you hurt yourself. BioWare has not gone all 'Warrior Within', Subject Zero has clearly been given more to do and say than Shahdee.

And if you're going to pull out Warrior Within like it somehow proves a point, then you'll also have to prove where either WW or ME2 will have 'people scream "FUCK SHIT COCK"' to make it more mature.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Chill out, Santa.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fine. Let's start making baseless claims and accusations in the new thread. Since it was so much fun the last time.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But he's Santa.

He's so chill he gets his own brand of cola.

He can't get any chiller.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SeanOrangeSeanOrange Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As a new guy, that means you don't know me either, so I'll clue you in: when I said all of that, I wasn't being totally serious. I did intend to read all 100 pages of this conversation so that I wouldn't rehash old ground, but I honestly had better things to do with my weekend.

That being said, Subject Zero still gives me pause, and rubs me in all the wrong, non-fun ways. I'm sure I can blame quite a bit of this on the marketing team for how they put together that video, but they didn't put words into her mouth. Or texture her outfit.

*shudders*

SeanOrange on
    sig_powet-director.pngsig_powet-powetcast.pngsig_powet-famicomdojo.pngsig_powet-keepplaying.png
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nothing to see here.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    All the cool kids are hanging out in the new thread, FYI.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Eggs all over my face. I'll go transfer my post.

Mei Hikari on