As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Forum Let's Play Index -- OLD THREAD; Go to the new one!

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »
    jeez olivaw, I login to a bunch of emails with comments from you about me sucking D:

most disappointing emails ever!

Look, I am sorry

But you are really bad at video games

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    Is the OP still being updated? I don't see my Overlord 2 LP I posted some days ago.

Yes it is still going to be kept up to date. I've been distracted and busy and also want to wait for a few things to update at a time before editing it in. I'll do it later this afternoon.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Not technically a LP but a little side project I have going on.
    Mega Man X minimalist run

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    DragonatrixDragonatrix Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »
    jeez olivaw, I login to a bunch of emails with comments from you about me sucking D:

most disappointing emails ever!

Yeah, how dare he have an opinion?

~~

And on a relevant note, when you update the OP, Henroid, feel free to add Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories to the OP (format is screenshot, and it's currently on-going naturally).

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FYI, Fear Effect is now hybrid, I guess. I'll be finishing it as video, but the first few updates will remain in screenshot format.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm about to do the update to the thread now, but I just wanted to address something.

Now, I accidentally removed this from the rewrite of the OP introduction. But I had a note in there that you guys should be open to criticism from other PA'ers, and take it like champs. On the same end, if you're going to give feedback to people LP'ing be as constructive as possible. And if that's not possible, try to be as inoffensive as you can be. And back on the other hand, you guys need to realize that sometimes you're not funny or skilled and that's a valid complaint too.

And I'm not naming names, especially since I still haven't watched any LP's here, I'm saying that in general. I'll only name Olivaw in thanking him for being the first person to have this come up.

PS - Don't start fights over this shit. :P
    Now for the update. Ho-hum.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Um wow, that Giant Bomb Persona 4 link gave me security errors in Firefox. I ask that you remove the link from your post Tertiee, since I don't trust it and don't want it in my thread (nor am I linking it).

Henroid on
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Um wow, that Giant Bomb Persona 4 link gave me security errors in Firefox. I ask that you remove the link from your post Tertiee, since I don't trust it and don't want it in my thread (nor am I linking it).

Link works fine for me

Hakunin on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I actually wish there was a LP subforum where we could rate them like the Awesome Posts forum.

This is not a bad idea

Then we could have suggestion threads and tech help threads to help people's LPs not suck so much, and a proper archive thread

It would be nice, at least

Proper archive thread? Hey man I've gotta work with what I've got! And technically we wouldn't need an archive thread. Hmm...

I've thought about making a case to Tube about an LP subforum, but I've decided against it. The big reason behind it is because, to be frank, it's going to encourage a lot of people to try to do LP's and it's going to turn into a mess (I love this forum and all, but not everyone is a champ at being entertaining - look at me for example).

Henroid on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I actually wish there was a LP subforum where we could rate them like the Awesome Posts forum.

This is not a bad idea

Then we could have suggestion threads and tech help threads to help people's LPs not suck so much, and a proper archive thread

It would be nice, at least

Proper archive thread? Hey man I've gotta work with what I've got! And technically we wouldn't need an archive thread. Hmm...

I've thought about making a case to Tube about an LP subforum, but I've decided against it. The big reason behind it is because, to be frank, it's going to encourage a lot of people to try to do LP's and it's going to turn into a mess (I love this forum and all, but not everyone is a champ at being entertaining - look at me for example).

If you went directly to Tube I'm pretty sure he'd laugh in your face and probably call you a name.

I don't really think there needs to be one anyway.

Schide on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A subforum would be dumb. We don't need one. None of us here are so good that we absolutely need one, and while we seem to be getting more and more, they're not overbearing. Also when was the last time you've seen it say 1000+ viewing for G&T? I can't think of a single time I've seen it say that. We don't even get the traffic to be worth it.

Also Henroid you should let us put in a little asterisk next to our stuff if we want to with a note at the bottom saying "The asterisk means the author has deemed this LP totally terrible and you really shouldn't watch it." Because I'd love to place that next to everything not DKC, Megaman, and Cheetahmen.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Schide wrote: »
    If you went directly to Tube I'm pretty sure he'd laugh in your face and probably call you a name.

I don't really think there needs to be one anyway.

Well yeah there's that too, but he is the admin that decides these things.

Anyway. G&T doesn't need anymore segregation than it already has, let alone the forum has more than enough sections all around. We can deal.

Edit - By the way, to explain the thread title, LET ME REPEAT, WHEN YOU LINK ME TO AN LP TELL ME IF IT IS FUCKING FINISHED OR NOT. It doesn't take a lot of time for me to investigate on my own, but it could take me no time with you guys being a little more clear on that. OKAY?

... this may be my stress from the day talking.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are you going to put the LP list in the OP into some sort of order eventually, like alphabetically by game title or author or something? Because it's really awkward to look at right now.

Schide on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    A subforum would be dumb. We don't need one. None of us here are so good that we absolutely need one, and while we seem to be getting more and more, they're not overbearing. Also when was the last time you've seen it say 1000+ viewing for G&T? I can't think of a single time I've seen it say that. We don't even get the traffic to be worth it.

Also Henroid you should let us put in a little asterisk next to our stuff if we want to with a note at the bottom saying "The asterisk means the author has deemed this LP totally terrible and you really shouldn't watch it." Because I'd love to place that next to everything not DKC, Megaman, and Cheetahmen.

Mario All Stars is amazing and you know it.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Schide wrote: »
    Are you going to put the LP list in the OP into some sort of order eventually, like alphabetically by game title or author or something? Because it's really awkward to look at right now.

I'll probably do it by game name eventually. When I was updating it a bit ago I realized that it was a pain in the ass to read through, especially from my viewpoint with all the bbcode. I'm not dropping any sort of do-by date though.
    Gilder wrote: »

It's something I think about, but I don't want to draw special attention to any LP's one way or the other (except for abandoned LP's, which get the red text). Everyone's LP deserves a viewing and every viewer deserves their own opinion to draw on them. At the very most, if we somehow bust out some magnificent LP that everyone thinks is five star worthy, maybe I'll give those some special listing.

Though, at this point I think people should maybe consider voting on completed LP's. Not unlike the Awesome Post forum.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hakunin wrote: »

Link works fine for me
    I don't get any warnings in my Firefox either. I've removed the link and just added in written instructions on how to see the videos via their main page. If you think that's enough and want me to delete the post entirely just reply stating so.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Blarg, forgot to address that -

Turns out that Microsoft pushed out an official Windows update which was a Firefox addon, something relating to .NET, and that's what brought up the error. So it's probably fine. I'm just paranoid.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Turns out that Microsoft pushed out an official Windows update which was a Firefox addon, something relating to .NET, and that's what brought up the error. So it's probably fine. I'm just paranoid.

I was wondering what that was, since I got it earlier

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I was wondering what that was, since I got it earlier

I was confused because the whole batch of updates in that Windows Update notification had that, which was .NET 1.1 related, and then another things for .NET 2.0 (which was a service pack for it or something). I was so fucking confused. I still don't know what the hell the addon was supposed to do, but Firefox didn't like it and that site was apparently the first to want to make use of it.

Anyhow, I'm actually putting together the start of another LP. I didn't think I'd be doing it so soon. I'm working out some technical hobgoblin bullshit though. I feel like it's worth it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've started my LP of The Way.

Video LP, obviously ongoing. Episode 1 or 6 completed.

I welcome any feedback as this is my first time and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Add my EO2 LP to the list please.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=103485

Screenshot, ongoing (it just started even).

Henroid on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It'd be nice if the list was alphabetical.
    It would also be nice if this was a sticky.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    It'd be nice if the list was alphabetical.
    It would also be nice if this was a sticky.

I post like everywhere on the forum, so finding one of my posts and going through my sig is just as good as a sticky.

After I do my errands for today I'll work on making the list alphabetical.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alright, so I'm starting to do some work for the STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl LP I'm planning to do with the LURK mod thrown on and I'm wondering about some things. This seems like the perfect place to ask. Don't put me on the list yet since I don't have an exact time I'll be starting it. I already have the mod permission, but I don't have anything rolling yet.

First off, is there any way to make a preview of an entire thread without actually making a new thread? I don't want to mess with it and ending up committing myself before I'm ready, but I'd like to get some sort of structure set up for the LP before I actually start. Having a nice OP never hurts an LP, either, and I think I've got something pretty neat lined up.

Second, what's a good length for an "episode" of a video LP? Average of 20-30 minutes? I keep thinking nobody would want to watch me play STALKER for a half-hour at a stretch, but people seem to be doing that plenty and it works just fine. Breaking things up into more digestible 10-minute chunks seems like a good idea anyway.

Basically, I'm looking for some general advice in making a video LP, so suggestions are quite welcome.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No one's ever needed mod permission for an LP. Not sure where that idea ever came from.

All you have to do is preview the post when making a new thread.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    No one's ever needed mod permission for an LP. Not sure where that idea ever came from.

All you have to do is preview the post when making a new thread.

Oh really? Huh, I thought you had to have mod permission. Ha! My LP will be the first officially mod-sanctioned LP ever! EVER!

And yeah, I thought that might be the case. I didn't want to end up with something like my preview thread somehow showing up as posted or something. Thanks.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I find that set of 2 or 3 10 minutes parts is fine, upwards of six regularly are bad, but nice every once and a while.

Also you can preview thread, which I think is what you want.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Right around when the first few here started someone got the idea in their head that you needed to ask mod permission. I was one of the early ones and I sure didn't, but somehow the idea got planted into people's heads.

The only thing you need to worry about when it comes to mods and Let's Play is to not LP a game that you've obviously obtained illegally.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When I did the first video stuff I wanted to make sure it was okay to do videos so I asked a mod. He said as long as there was no funny stuff that the forums don't like in the video that it should be fine, but put a disclaimer in the thread to ask for permission if you wanted to do your own video stuff. There you go, that's why people think they need permission.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So we can blame Gilder. Convenient!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I thought it was Gilder but honestly I try to tweak him too often to go around blaming him for every little thing.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I blame Gilder's voice for everything

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone try a LP of L4D? Idk, it might be tough to pull off (I would try if I had the equipment) but trying to do a 4-player LP would be pretty funny, especially if the person who was mainly doing the recording hadn't played before.

WilDPanthA05 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've never seen a good LP of Left 4 Dead. It's a multiplayer experience, which makes it hard to LP I think.

You can use the preview button before submitting a thread.

HOWEVER MY OFFICIAL DECREE IS:

If you absolutely need feedback for your LP post format before making the thread go gold, or you need to test the video's audio sync and volumes, etc, post what you have here behind a spoiler tag and forumers will come to the rescue.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I can objectively say that any sort of LP of Left4Dead will be bad

Too many people have played it and there's too little content to show off, and unless you and your three friends are really funny, I doubt there will be much in the way of entertaining commentary

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've never seen a good LP of Left 4 Dead. It's a multiplayer experience, which makes it hard to LP I think.

You can use the preview button before submitting a thread.

HOWEVER MY OFFICIAL DECREE IS:

If you absolutely need feedback for your LP post format before making the thread go gold, or you need to test the video's audio sync and volumes, etc, post what you have here behind a spoiler tag and forumers will come to the rescue.

Good call. Here's what I'm looking at for my STALKER LP, if anyone cares to look.
    WELCOME TO THE ZONE

29-Copy.jpg

Updates will be kept here so you don't have to scroll through the whole OP just to get to the most recent videos.
    Update 1,

The setup:
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is a hugely atmospheric game set in the region surrounding the old Chernobyl reactor in the Ukraine. Yes, that reactor that hippies flip out about even though nuclear reactors are safer and better than coal plants. But whatever. The time period is more or less contemporary with some creative liberties (small exo-skeleton suits, awesome PDA, etc). This surrounding area is known as the "Zone"; those who haven't actually played STALKER (like hell I'm gonna keep typing those periods) likely won't realize the most important thing about the Zone. What is that, you might ask?

The Zone is always trying to kill you.

Not casually, but in a very active and ongoing sense. It will try to blow you up, feed you to dogs, bleed you, burn you, shoot you, slash you, and throw in some radiation exposure for some extra zip. Mutants and monsters will try to bring you down any way they can, anomalies will wait patiently for you to wander too close, most of the humans want to kill you and take your stuff, and to top it all off, blowouts. What are blowouts? If you don't already know, you'll just have to watch and find out. Did I mention the part where you're an amnesiac on a mission to kill some poor sap named Strelok? Oh, and nobody really knows who you are so they just call you Marked One. They also found you near the wreckage of a vehicle carrying a bunch of dead bodies. Not ominous at all, right?

About the game:
    The Vanilla version of the game was horribly buggy and featured some glaring oversights, but thankfully also attracted swarms of slavering modders. This Let's Play will be using one of the more recently developed mods known as LURK. Bizarrely enough, it started out in that place of virtue and logic known as 4chan. Yes, you may be afraid now, but the LURK mod is some quality stuff. Practically everything in the game is tweaked or enhanced in some way. There are the basic mods like sleep (originally developed for the game but removed before release), item repair (which you would THINK would be mandatory but wasn't), and silent weapons being actually silent (in Vanilla, stabbing a soldier at the back of a base warned everybody in what seemed like a fifty kilometer radius). There are also baddies absent from the original release which have been re-added. One thing which has tended to remain through the different versions is RPG-esque curve to the game. Beat the game straight through and you might end up with semi-OK equipment, but "grind" (i.e., do sidequests, scrounge for gear, etc) and you can dig up some really nice stuff. Enemies which might start out as a huge pain can become almost inconsequential literally overnight should you make it through the night.

It also features some nifty, sophisticated additions. At the top of the list is reworked stealth and darkness. Vanilla STALKER is dark; LURK is daaaark. Dark enough that night no longer makes you wish you were somewhere else, but in fact makes you huddle in a building somewhere safe until the sun comes out. Or sneak into an enemy base, hoping you don't bump into any uglies on the way. One excellent addition is a dynamic randomized weather system ported from STALKER: Clear Sky (the sequel which is a prequel). Pitch-black night with a thunderstorm giving away your position with every lightning flash? Check. There is also a huge array of new weapons and a major upgrade to weapon details; instead of having a silencer which attaches to everything, specific weapons can carry specific components. Trading has also been redone to be more balanced and make it so trading isn't limited purely to traders. Stalkers are, after all, businessmen if nothing else. They came to the Zone to seek their fortune (or escape other fortunes), so it makes sense that they would be willing to part with a few cases of ammo for a shiny artifact.

Oh yeah, artifacts. These little things may not seem like much, but having the right one can be the difference between death by radiation and escape, much less what happens when you have the right dozen or so. Even the worthless ones are still worth a good chunk of money. As fascinating and valuable as artifacts are, they're still only a by-product of whatever is happening in the Zone. While everyone tries to figure it out, Stalkers clash with other Stalkers, mercenaries hired by the government, and monsters all in an attempt to carve out their own little fortune. None of that sissy money stuff for you, though; you're in the Zone on a mission.

A mission of death.

Which, in the Zone, makes you a fairly normal and approachable dude. Go figure.

But don't we already have a STALKER LP?
    You may be wondering why I'm doing this Let's Play if I already know so much about this game. While I have played this game at least 4-5 times with varying mods (and varying levels of crashing), LURK is pretty radically different. It may not seem like much, but there's no minimap. You see, in the orginal Vanilla STALKER, the minimap let you find bodies and helped you keep your bearings. With LURK? You'd better have a good memory and sharp reflexes or you can expect to miss a lot of loot and catch a lot of lead in the face. I also recently built a new computer so I'm also greatly enjoying the massive upgrade in graphics. Rather than keep the game to myself, I've decided to share it as best I can.

The PA Forums have also already had one Let's Play of STALKER (done by Stolls), but that was purely a screenshot LP. While extensive and awesome, screenshots just naturally have a tougher time of expressing a game like STALKER. Looking at a screenshot and thinking "hey, that looks bad" is whole world of difference from watching someone sneaking through the flickering shadows only to get jumped by some hideous monstrosity hiding in the shadows. The tough part with this will be editing; a paraphrased saying from fighter pilots was that their job was hours of boredom followed by thirty seconds of sheer terror. After a fashion, STALKER works this way too. You can scrounge for caches for an hour, jumping at every sound, and then on the way back home through "safe" territory get jumped by fifteen mutated dogs which rip you to pieces in seconds or wander into a lethal anomaly which has moved since the last time you were in the area. For the sake of pacing and time (both the amount of time I'll spend encoding/uploading and the time of the viewers), I will likely edit out a good deal of what I record. Five uncut minutes of an intense firefight is fun to watch but 15 minutes of body looting isn't. So the fight would be left in uncut, but the looting would be cut almost entirely save for good finds. Watching someone get horribly mangled by a springboard anomaly is good for a laugh, but not if it means having to watch them run across a landscape for 10 uneventful minutes.

I'm no cinematic pro, but I'll do my best to retain the tension of the game while keeping it entertaining to the viewers. And unlike certain PA Forum members (*cough* Helloween *cough*), don't expect me to shriek like a little girl at scary things (you should actually check out his LPs, they're pretty universally great and entertaining). This is the ZONE. If something bad happens, the time it takes to shriek is usually long enough for any manner of horrible things to happen to your head and the requisite noise orifice. I prefer to negotiate swiftly using extreme prejudice, likely in 5.56 NATO or 7.62 format. Buckshot is an acceptable alternative.

Now to get you acquainted with the zone. First off, Stalkers:
    1_024.jpg
    Stalkers are the free agents of the Zone. They are there because they choose to be. Whatever they were outside, in here they're the equivalent of gold-boom prospectors. Finding the right artifact means a quick fortune and there are legends of unbelievable wealth hiding in the Zone for the right Stalker. By the very nature of their job, they have to be tough, smart, and, not surprisingly, often drunk.1.jpg

How about the common scummy adversaries of everybody, Bandits?
    1_049.jpg
    Bandits are, well, bandits. Rather than earn their own way in the Zone, they attempt to prey on others. Nobody likes these guys, so they have no real support base and tend to have pretty crappy equipment. Five or ten of these guys can make you have a real bad day, though. They tend to wander the Zone and live wherever they can, but are more prevalent in some areas than others. Everyone in the Zone also shoots them on sight, but they seem to multiply as fast as the mutants.

On a more academic note, we have scientists. Yes, weeny scientists do in fact enter the Zone.
    1_009.jpg
    Scientists are rare and place themselves in mortal peril for a very obvious reason: to figure out the zone. Obviously not the greatest fighters, they usually have protection via the government or hire willing Stalkers.
    1_002.jpg

Let's not forget the Traders, the select few people who make the Zone at least livable and even sometimes bearable.
    1_010.jpg1_022.jpg
    Without Traders, you couldn't make it in the Zone. Legally or illegally, they get what Stalkers need. Outside of the government, these guys are how artifacts get funneled to the outside world. In turn, the Traders bring in food, protective gear, weapons, and, most importantly, ammunition. Knowing the location of a good cache doesn't mean squat if you don't have some of these to toss around:23.jpg
    As long as you have the cash, Traders will get you what you need. If you don't have the cash, they usually have jobs for you. Sometimes they need an "accident" to happen to the right person, sometimes they have a client looking for a special artifact, and sometimes they just need a piece of wild radioactive boar to make a special recipe. It's usually better if you don't ask.

There are other factions, but let's keep them a surprise for those who've not yet experienced STALKER. They range from the perfectly normal to the grotesque to "oh shit I really wish I had some grenades about now".
    So without further ado, come in, Stalker! I've got something for you...
    1_045.jpg

Maybe crop some of the images? I dunno. I've got a big LCD screen now so my perspective is sort of off.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Too many people have played it and there's too little content to show off, and unless you and your three friends are really funny, I doubt there will be much in the way of entertaining commentary

I can see that ... I was thinking of a Zombie LP, but I didn't see one for Dead Rising in the OP (unless I'm a moron) ... Is there a good one, besides Resident Evils and all?

WilDPanthA05 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Looks really sharp.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I can see that ... I was thinking of a Zombie LP, but I didn't see one for Dead Rising in the OP (unless I'm a moron) ... Is there a good one, besides Resident Evils and all?

Maybe my next LP will be

LET'S PLAY I MAED A GAM3 WITH ZOMBIES IN 1T!!!1

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The list has been updated (only two new LP's added) and alphabetized for your pleasure. And my sanity.

Henroid on