As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4E] Keep on the Shadowfell - Recruitment finished, thanks to those who applied

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    LOL, my first char is a Genasi Artificer named Yuriel too...

As for this game, Kelor... I give you 2 :^::^: .
    Whatever are you talking about? :P

Random Name Generators FTW!

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • hotranhotran Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Since I already submitted a striker, here is Aranil, an Eladrin Tactical Warlord.

Background
    While legends speak of the beauty of the Feywild, they also tell of its cruelty, and this was the aspect of that realm that young Aranil experienced the most.

As one of many siblings, Aranil did not stand to inherit much of anything. He was not content to merely accept this fate, and shortly after his 16th birthday, he left home and pledged himself to a Winter Court noble, hoping that his skill with a blade would find him a place in the House Guard. However, the noble's court held a horrifying secret. To amuse themselves in the bleak perpetual winter of their realm, Aranil's lord and his courtiers had developed an elaborate arena, rife with cunning traps and dangerous fey beasts. It was here that Aranil found himself trapped upon arriving at the Winter Lord's court, forced to fight against and alongside other prisoners as his master's whims changed.

It was only his own skill at arms and keen wits that allowed Aranil to survive countless battles in the arena. His fellow prisoners quickly learned to respect his talents, as time and again his quick thinking saved them from certain doom. His clever strategies and resourceful nature also made him a favorite of the crowds that would gather in the Winter Lord's court, and Aranil's master looked forward to ages of entertainment from his new acquisition. Luckily for Aranil, this was not to be his fate.

Witnessing both his skill and the Winter Lord's cruelty, one of Avandra's servants, a fox-spirt secreted among the Lord's courtiers snuck into Aranil's barracks and presented him with a choice. If he would pledge to follow Avandra, the spirit would open a portal to the mortal realm, allowing Aranil to escape. He accepted the bargain immediately, and convinced his small band of fellow prisoners to come with him.

However, upon stepping through the portal, Aranil found himself alone in the Nentir Vale. Whether something went wrong with the portal, or if the scattering of his companions was Avandra's will, Aranil counted himself lucky, and made for the closest safe haven he could, the city of Fallcrest, determined to make sure that his fate was his own from now on.

As this would be my first PbP on the forums, I'd be psyched if either of my characters was selected. That being said, I'm taking back what I said about Veris and making Aranil my prime submission. Unless of course you need an awesome rogue. Then Veris all the way =P.

hotran on
    The Long Way Down: Clank, Warforged Fighter
  • Mad_Scientist_WorkingMad_Scientist_Working Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Oooo come on. Just bang on the keyboard. Derow. Falhg. Pzqpi.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Oooo come on. Just bang on the keyboard. Derow. Falhg. Pzqpi.

Paier! Leig! Zej!

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Updated Submissions. I'll pick out a party and have it up tomorrow, so people have another 12 hours to submit characters.

Thus far:

Leaders:
    William 'Chocolate' Harris, Gone Bard (susan)
    Aiden Darkbroaugh (IHFAN)
    Thud Barrelhead: Dwarven Battle Cleric of Moradin (SteelHawk)
    Alek, Human Inspiring Warlord (Cow)
    Sardis, Genasi Artificer (Mr_Rose - in Game)
    Khameel Katydid, Human Warlord (astrobstrd)
    Aranil, Eladrin Tactical Warlord (hotran)

Defenders:
    Marek Wellington, Human Fighter (Bonus)
    Ordek, Dwarf Fighter (TrustTheFungus)
    Ember, Shifter Warden (Fencingsax - In Game)
    Mika Sorvas, Human Paladin of Avandra (Adventfalls)
    Malorian Al'deloth, Eladrin Swordmage (JourneymanJaster)
    Baradin, Dwarf Battlerager Fighter (Cow)
    Ash Summer, Longtooth Shifter, Fighter (samurai6966)

Strikers:
    Nex, Changeling Assassin (susan)
    Victor La Roche, Human Sorcerer (Bonus)
    Falk-The Dragonborn Barbarian (Mad_Scientist_Working)
    Garrahhd, Halfling Barbarian (IAmUnaware - In Game)
    Reita Kilvas, Tiefling Warlock (Adventfalls)
    Jindal Meriel, Elven Archer (JourneymanJaster)
    Thrall Skullsplitter: Half-Orc Rageblood Barbarian (SteelHawk)
    Veris, Elven Rogue (Hotran)
    Despair Foreblack: Warlock Extraordinaire (CatnipCat)
    Alain, the human rogue. (residue)

Controllers:
    Thorfin, Dwarf Invoker (Fencingsax - In Game)
    Iridion-Human Invoker (Mad_Scientist_Working)
    Elaia, Tiefling Invoker (IAmUnaware - In Game)
    Keldyn Sosoda, Human Illusionist Wizard (soxbox - In Game)
    Mindartis, Eladrin wizard (residue)
    Aelar, Elven seeker (Mr_Rose - In Game)
    Kouri Katydid, Human Druid (astrobstrd)

Kelor on
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Galewin Airstrum Genasi (Windsoul) Barbarian

Brief Bio: Born into a small mining town Galewin’s life was set a new path the Douven Staul came to his town. Douven was looking for a new student to train and began testing the young men of the town at the sword, bow, spear, and arcane arts. Galewin had never practiced much with any save the quarter staff. Douven handed Galewin a spear with a look that said he expected little.

The sparring started and Galewin won his first match by speed alone. The next he thought perhaps he just got lucky, no one was dumb enough to try the same attack three times in a row he thought. One after another he bested the other boys in his village and each time Douven’s gaze become more intense. Though Galewin hardly noticed though because with each match he lost himself more and more in the battle dance. The last match had him facing three other boys and Douven himself. The three went down quick enough, but Douven seemed to always be a step ahead. A growing frustration in Galewin peaked and in a moment of pure rage Galewin vaulted using his spear over one of the fallen boys and seemed to fly through the air and as he passed over Douven’s head the butt of the spear found the back of the would be teacher’s head sending him the ground.

Galewin spent the next couple of years training with Douven to become an adventurer. Three months have passed since Douven left to investigate a dragon’s tomb and Galewin is concerned for his mentor.

Brief Personality: Galewin is easy going and quick with a quip. He even treats battle as a game more often than not, but on the rare occasions where his skills are pushed t0o far he can snap unleashing a brutal display of carnage.

Dajian on
  • bladecruiserbladecruiser Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hrm. Yea, my brain must not have been working too well when I read the OP. I'll drop the swordmage and keep the paladin as my submission.

Aradace Palar, Dragonborn Paladin
    Paladin_by_BenWootten.jpg

As a young dragonborn, Aradace was encouraged to find his path in life and to follow it with his whole being. He was instructed by his parents and the elders of his home village to live with honor and to help those who cannot help themselves. As he grew up, Aradace came to realize that the best way for him to aid others was to be as strong, intelligent, and devoted as he could possibly be. He learned about the different gods and their commandments from the elder cleric, and has chosen to follow Kord. In his studies of the thunder and battle god, Aradace knew that he had chosen his god wisely: his unwavering devotion to bettering himself and proving his strength and tactical ability in battle were all that Kord asked of his followers.

It was during last week's evening prayers that Aradace's destiny was laid out before him in stark contrast to the tangled mess of a future that had plagued him previously. One of the clerics approached him and spoke to him about a rumor of a group of cultists headed for the town of Winterhaven. The cleric further explained that, through his research, the cultists are reportedly performing some sort of unholy ritual in the area. Aradace doesn't wait for the cleric to ask if he would look into it, but instead volunteers to travel to Winterhaven and see if there is any truth to these rumors, and if need be, to stop the rituals.

bladecruiser on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dare-st I try my first pbp? I think I dare-st!

Dzera, Genasi Swordmage
    Personality: Dzera is calm and steady, as many Earthsoul Genasi. She prefers not to engage until she has a good understanding of the situation at hand, but is more than willing to follow the lead of a trusted companion out of loyalty and idealism.

Background: Dzera was the only Genasi in her town of humans. It had never been explained to her how that had come to pass; the town elders would simply remark on her uniqueness and pat her on the head. As she grew older, her race made her a target in the town, and she slowly learned from her older brothers how to defend herself, making up for her lack of physical strength by tapping into her innate arcane abilities. However, she continued to stand apart from the rest of the townspeople and eventually could tolerate it no more. She now travels, seeking adventure not for adventure's sake, but out of a deep need to find a place to call home.

Yizashi, Gnome Sorcerer
    Personality: Yizashi is a mischief-maker. He enjoys befuddling others and isn't beyond feigning strange behaviours just to amuse himself. He intends no harm though, and is simply a Gnome who doesn't know any better.

Background: Yizashi simply never grew up. While even other gnomes grew tired of their childish pranks, Yizashi still finds creative uses of Ghost Sound hilarious. Still, as he's aged, he's stopped a lot of the pranking he engaged in as a youth, because he's simply seen them before. While he's still bemused by the confusion of others, Yizashi is now more interested in the whimsical nature of the world, who he sees as the truly greatest prankster of them all. The only way to see the ways in which the world messes with its inhabitants is to venture into it, reasoned Yizashi, and it would have the benefit of getting away from a village of tired and annoyed gnomes.

hippofant on
  • HoggHogg Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    Rorius, Human Warlord
    Rorius thinks he is one of the great tacticians of all time. On paper. He had a natural aptitude for studying but his father turned him away from the arcane with his stories of great battles but it turns out the army and him didn't get on too well. Now he's setting out into the world to try and put theory into practice.

Quill, Human Ranger
    He just tells people to call him Quill and no-one ever asks more than that. He's been using a bow since he was old enough to draw one back. When he was old enough to leave home he did, eager to see the world beyond a small village. When he came back one year later, the village had been razed to the ground. Since then he's been haunted. If he'd stayed, would they still be alive? Or would he be dead too? Wandering the roads, Quill's made a decision. He's going to make a difference. Somewhere.

This would be my first pbp and my first D&D.

Hogg on
    edited October 2009
    Man, there's so many people that the people who get in will be lucky SOBs.

adventfalls on
  • Mad_Scientist_WorkingMad_Scientist_Working Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can I change my Invoker just a slight bit? I didn't realize that I was giving my character a back story that coincided with the lightning damage attacks that an Invoker can use.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
    edited October 2009
    Ok, so I've worked through the submissions and put a party together from the entries. My apologies to those that didn't make it, depending on how time intensive this one is I might put another group together from the entries and run one of the short adventures.

So, the group!

Leadership Catagory:
    Scosglen's Dragonborn Inspiring Warlord stunned the judges with both his form and wonderful taste in fashion. The scale look is the thing for this season. Akarr Balasaa is in.

Steelhawk's Dwarven Cleric nomination for the competition may be a bit crude, but how could we say no to those delightful pigtails with emerald ribbons? Thud Barrelhead is in.

Defender Catagory:
    JourneymanJaster's Eladrin Swordmage impressed the crowd with fantastic posture and those flowing ebony locks will be the talk of magazines for weeks to come. Malorian Al'deloth is in.

Controller Catagory:
    residue's Eladrin Wizard entry to the show outshone the competition with grace and talent in spades. That orange and pink checkered suit is just to die for. Mindartis is in.

Striker Catagory:
    susan's Changeling Assassin brings a dark, smoldering look to the event that just couldn't be matched. Nex is in.

Bonus' Human Sorceror certainly strikes fear into our hearts in a way we never thought was possible. Victor La Roche is in.

I'll post up details for you guy later today. We'll just use this same thread for IC and OOC to save cluttering up the forum.

Kelor on
    edited October 2009
    Curses! Foiled again.

Oh well. Can't say I didn't try. Best of luck to you guys.

adventfalls on
  • residueresidue Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I.... I'm so happy. First it was an honor just to be nominated, but to actually win! And to think that my owner wanted me neutered.

I want to thank my kennel, the sweet guys and gals over at Pedigree, and most of all my mother for believing in me.
    I got a dogshow vibe out of DM's post... my apologies for that :)

residue on
  • hotranhotran Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ack, sad face. Ah well.

Have fun folks =) !

hotran on
    The Long Way Down: Clank, Warforged Fighter
    edited October 2009
    I was thinking more beauty competition/fashion show mix up rather than dog show.

Kelor on
    edited October 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    I was thinking more beauty competition/fashion show mix up rather than dog show.
    Bitches are bitches...

residue on
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    *happy dance*

I got in! You like me, you really like me!

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just realized I completely forgot my backstories. Oh well.

Fencingsax on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Woo, now to do mortal combat with the dwarf to see how the true leader is.

Scosglen on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Excellent!!! Thud made the cut! This is going to be fun,

Crude, huh? I was going more for "Traditional" or maybe even "Sterotypical", but it'll play. Let's see if we can't polish him up as we go along. :)

Steelhawk on
    edited October 2009
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Crude, huh? I was going more for "Traditional" or maybe even "Sterotypical", but it'll play. Let's see if we can't polish him up as we go along. :)

Look man I tried but no matter how you do it a dwarf in a beauty contest is going to stand out like a sore thumb.

So I turned his hair and beard into these adorable pigtails with deep green ribbons.

Kelor on
  • JourneymanJasterJourneymanJaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well...This is exciting! Would you mind dropping me a PM of how board DnD plays exactly? I'd rather not look a complete fool as I've not done it before, though I think I kinda get how it's supposed to go. Also, Malorian looks like....
    EladrinWarlord.jpg

Reverse grip and all. And black rather than gray hair.

JourneymanJaster on
    edited October 2009
    Would you mind dropping me a PM of how board DnD plays exactly? I'd rather not look a complete fool as I've not done it before, though I think I kinda get how it's supposed to go.

No worries. We can look like fools together.

By the by, I can't seem to be able to log into Orokos. I mean, I can log in, but it just kicks me back to the log in screen again. Is it me? Or can I blame something else?

residue on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    residue wrote: »
    Would you mind dropping me a PM of how board DnD plays exactly? I'd rather not look a complete fool as I've not done it before, though I think I kinda get how it's supposed to go.

By the by, I can't seem to be able to log into Orokos. I mean, I can log in, but it just kicks me back to the log in screen again. Is it me? Or can I blame something else?

Cookies. Or yell at Infidel (via PM or IRC).

hippofant on
    edited October 2009

In high nasal 'The I.T. Crowd' voice, "Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?" Actually they're probably just doing some site maintenance; should work tomorrow.

As for PbPs, each one plays a bit different so each has a learning curve at the beginning. But the basics are simple enough: Posts are usually in-character, with you adding some flavor text around your words. Any out of character comments should be in brackets or behind spoiler tags or in a different color text (doesn't usually matter what you use so long as it's obvious and pretty consistent). Use Orkos or InvisibleCastle for rolling and post the links. And... that's pretty much it. If you want an example, I have a link in my sig for 'The Vathirond King' which you can peruse at your leisure.

susan on
    edited October 2009
    My only real confusion as to how PbP will work is for things like reaction abilities and abilities that trigger other players to take an action.

Scosglen on
    edited October 2009
    The DM rolls things like Opportunity Attacks for us, and for other reactions we just need to post something to the effect of "If monster X moves there, my character does the following..."

susan on
  • BonusBonus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow! So cool! Victor is happy! At last, his chance to prove himself by traveling along a real ragtag band of adventurers, dwarves and everything!

Awesome. I'll make (or find) a character portrait today or tomorrow so y'all get a glimpse of what Victor's handsome features reveal.

Bonus on
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Congrats guys hope you all have fun!

Dajian on
    edited October 2009

Thats ok, the system is fairly straight forward. I'm going to crib a bit from Tiamatz's system which he cribbed from TalonRazor since I like it.

When posting your characters actions, put them in a spoiler at the bottom of your text. When you use a standard, movement or minor actions are orange. Attack rolls and damage rolls should be shown in red.

Then at the end of that still in spoiler tags list the person next in line for initiative as Next Up: Name and the following person after that as On Deck: Name in bold. If they are a player, colour it in green, if it is an enemy in red.

For example:

Malorian steps to the creatures side and swings at the kobold with his blade, nicking him in the shoulder.
    Movement action: Shift to E7.
    Standard action: Basic melee attack at goblin in D7.

Attack roll: 1d20+7=17
    Damage roll: 1d10+5=7

Next Up: Akarr

On Deck: Kobold Dragonshield

Kelor on
    edited October 2009
    Kelor wrote: »

Look man I tried but no matter how you do it a dwarf in a beauty contest is going to stand out like a sore thumb.

So I turned his hair and beard into these adorable pigtails with deep green ribbons.

Heh. Fair enough. From now on, Thud has emerald green hair-holding-ring-type-thingies in his beard & hair that make it look like braids or dreads...not his whole noggin, mind you. But artfully placed, Thud is a dwarf of high breeding. And the pigtails were a one time only thing! Sure, they keep your hair out of your face, but they bunch up under a helmet and its just plain uncomfortable.

Oh...and a pic of Thud:
    bruenor_battlehammer_by_direnayhan.jpg

Steelhawk on
    edited October 2009
    Heh. Fair enough. From now on, Thud has emerald green hair-holding-ring-type-thingies in his beard & hair that make it look like braids or dreads...not his whole noggin, mind you. But artfully placed, Thud is a dwarf of high breeding. And the pigtails were a one time only thing! Sure, they keep your hair out of your face, but they bunch up under a helmet and its just plain uncomfortable.

Metro's the in thing at the moment.

No one's judging your dwarf if he's wearing nail polish.

Edit: Oh, and if you haven't yet given a portrait guys, can you post one so I can create tokens for your character too please.

Kelor on
    edited October 2009
    Oh, and if you haven't yet given a portrait guys, can you post one so I can create tokens for your character too please.

Done. See above.

Steelhawk on
    edited October 2009
    Okie, coming up in a bit. I was just gonna image google something, but doing an image google on fantasy stuff without safeguard on can turn up some pretty naughty stuff, so I had to wait until after work, which is now.

Found myself a picture!
    Happily stolen from the interwebs:
    the_whingy_wizard_by_artastrophe.jpg
    Mitandris is a whiny sort...

residue on
  • BonusBonus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Here's what I sort of imagined Victor La Roche to look like (only he has a dagger, not a staff). Got this from Arcane Power.
    121956_CN_GL.jpg

Here's a pic with the staff edited out, it might be better for a token:
    laroche.jpg

Bonus on
    edited October 2009
    Found an awesome updated picture courtesy of Ian Navarro, let's see if this HTML works...

Dexter3-1.jpg

susan on
    edited October 2009
    I was going to make my own portraits for my characters, but I sadly ended up only getting to the bard and druid.

Oh well, here's some wizards dragonborn artwork.

[IMG][/img]DragonBorn1.jpg

Scosglen on
    edited October 2009
    Keep on the Shadowfell

The image of Helda Staul sitting at the kitchen table, face distraught, wringing her worn hands lingers in your minds days after your departure of Victor's Rest. Responding to a notice in the town square requesting skilled adventurers you arrived at her house midmorning to find a group of both likely and unlikely souls milling about on the street before the neatly thatched house.

As the church's bell begins to sound out the 11th hour of the day the wooden swings open and a sturdily built woman steps into the portal, her face brightening as she sees the people spread out before her.

"Please, come in, come in, I'm so sorry to have kept you waiting." She says as she motions for all of you to enter the house. As you walk down the hallway you find the walls lined with sketches of what appear to be ruins, often with many notations scrawled along the margins and glass cases with pieces of stone or rusted weaponry inside. Upon reaching the end of the hall it opens up into a large tiled room a kitchen tucked into the corner and a large fireplace in the wall heating the room. "Take a seat, please and I'll explain the notice that you have no doubt seen around the town"

"My husband Douven has always been fascinated by history, as you no doubt saw when you came inside. Honestly, he's like a child and enjoys nothing more than rooting around in dangerous old ruins that could collapse on him at any moment. He often goes out on expeditions exploring forgotten fortifications and castles, but he has been overdue for almost a month now. He had recently purchased a book that detailed a burial site for a dragon and went off on a foolish journey by himself without even taking a guide."

"Three weeks it has been since I last received word from him and that is just not like my Stouven! He may get sidetracked at times but he's never forgotten to let me know he was safe for this long before! At the very least he would have sent a message to me to let me know he was running behind. I've spoken to the town watch and Sergeant Calderwell told me he would send out a notice to the village near where Douven was intending to visit......but.....but....he said that was all he could do and I would just have to wait until he sends a letter home or.....or.....or the local guard sends a party out to investigate the site he had located." At this point the women begins heaving dry sobs, a look of abject misery on her face. She struggles for a few seconds, before regaining her composure and looking back up at you.

"So please, I must know what has happened to him. I can't bear to go on like this not knowing for much longer, so I beg of you, please find him for me. I can promise that you will be well rewarded for finding what has happened to him and seeing him safely back home." At this, she smooths out a note and map on the table before you.

"When I last heard from him he had just finished researching at the university in Lindora, and has determined the location of the burial site as being just outside out of Winterhaven, a small village a few days west from here. After all all that travelling north! Sometimes I think he spends as much time drinking with those professors as he does exploring ruins." Helda seemed to have returned to her plucky demeanor at this thought and asks which of you are willing to assist her in finding her husband. A few adventurers raise and excuse themselves and she politely escorts them to the door before returning to you. Her face has lit up at the sight of the six remaining travelers and she thanks you profusely as she moves from one to the other, pressing a small pouch of coins into your hands and passes the note across to you.

The group has made good time along the King's Road and it is now midday on the third day of your journey. With luck you should arrive at the village of Winterhaven this evening.

Now's your chance to chat among your companions. For out of character talk just colour your text in slate gray and in bold. We'll reserve spoilers for rolls and combat based actions where possible. Once you're finishing talking just go
    Ready!

Kelor on
    edited October 2009
    Mindartis has probably been going on everyone else's nerves these past few days. You would think that an Eldarin would have more patience, behave a bit more stoically, be a bit more less than the whining youth he behaves like. The weather has been too hot, or too cold, and the road too hard on his nimble feet.

"Are we there yet?" he asks for about the thousandth time, glaring at his companions, as if it was their fault this wizard had decided to join up in the search for lost archeologist.

Yay. Off we go then. :)

Ready.

residue on