As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] What A Long, Strange Chat it's Been

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Radiation wrote: »
    DPS being picky? That's funny, because its so easy to replace dps.
    I can't wait until the cross server lfg thing is in place, should mean more peeps to run stuff with at ungodly hours. Though I'm sure this opens up the possibility into running into MORE shitty/terribad people.

I too cannot wait for LFG battlegroup but then looking around I think I am going to run into the same problem I have now lfm for tank/healer

Brainleech on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Radiation wrote: »
    DPS being picky? That's funny, because its so easy to replace dps.

Oh, absolutely, it's just shitty and annoying to have to do it.

W2 on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Concerning hackers etc; There really is no reason not to have an Authenticator or Authenticator Program on a compatible phone/iphone/ipod touch. It's even goddamn free on iPod/iPhone.

Here's a fun juxtaposition to make you happy now:
    doublingup.jpg

You never go ass to mouth.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Im hoping this merged lfg server thing helps me get some raids going during the day. Seems to be the only time I have to plunk down the hours needed to finish anything with more than 5 people.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only thing I can see bad about x-server raids is this:

Lead: "Need heals ToC10, you in?"
    Misc Healer: "Sure, as long as it's not ML."
    Lead: "WTF NUB?"
    Misc Healer: "I don't want you to give everything to people from your server."

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Didn't know until now that the DK flying mounts cost a lot of gold

guess I am doin dailies on my main for a while because I want that AND the Tome of Flying

He can buy his own damn epic training though (I am leveling his blacksmithing to profit from vendor trashing cobalt shields)

Arch on
  • Options
    Pat_McRochPat_McRoch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fortunately on my server Archimonde, I haven't seen or heard anyone yet getting dropped because of gear score in pugs.

And on a side note, I hate healing 5 man ToC as a paladin.

Pat_McRoch on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jaded wrote: »

Of course, I always consider pugging while ML is set to be a baaaad idea, whether they're on your server or not. Of course, getting raid locked with a PUG group is probably asking for trouble, as well. Especially if it's cross-server.

I guess that would need to include some sort of mechanism that allowed you to reconnect with a raid leader that locked you into a cross-server ID.

Overall, as bad a inter-server pugging can be, cross server pugging just seems to be asking for trouble.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So what's all this about gearscore now? I've only been back for a little over a week and haven't seen anyone talk about someone's gearscore in chat. It's just been stuff like "that mage is putting out 1k DPS on 25-man Koralon!" Is there some sort of mod used to calculate this, or is it built into the game?

It's also amazing how many people we've had join our groups for regular ToC runs and, after they've been summoned and head for the instance, say "switch to heroic pls".

SteevL on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It pretty much tallies your gear's item level + enchants. Which sortof give an idea of where you've been, but you could have a Rogue in full healing cloth and it will still tell you he's awesome. Overall it seems much ado about nothing. Odds are if you have a RL picking people based off gearscore alone, you don't really want to be in that pug.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pat_McRoch wrote: »
    Fortunately on my server Archimonde, I haven't seen or heard anyone yet getting dropped because of gear score in pugs.

I've never had much problem with it, the only real sticking point can be getting feared by the Lady boss and running out of range of the tank. As long as you beacon the tank, and just drop holy lights/shock on the dps that take damage from either exploding ghouls or the nightmare stuff, it shouldn't be too hard.

The key to healing a 5 man as a paladin is BoL. It's the only way to counter raid damage effectively. Also, it really helps to keep the tank shielded as much as you can (although I actually reverse this in the pvp-esque fight. Beacon and shield myself). SS gives a huge benefit in five man instances, since mobs aren't hitting as hard as in a raid.

Langly on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I read BoL as Blessing of Light there.

And immediately though I'd been doing something horrendously wrong or that Blizzard added that fucking spell back in.

Oats on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just call it Bacon.

Mmmm, Bacon.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It is far more delicious that way.

Oats on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Langly wrote: »
    Pat_McRoch wrote: »

I've never had much problem with it, the only real sticking point can be getting feared by the Lady boss and running out of range of the tank. As long as you beacon the tank, and just drop holy lights/shock on the dps that take damage from either exploding ghouls or the nightmare stuff, it shouldn't be too hard.

The key to healing a 5 man as a paladin is BoL. It's the only way to counter raid damage effectively. Also, it really helps to keep the tank shielded as much as you can (although I actually reverse this in the pvp-esque fight. Beacon and shield myself). SS gives a huge benefit in five man instances, since mobs aren't hitting as hard as in a raid.

SS and beacon on the tank is great for the priest. Keep holy fire and the nightmare effect cleansed and you should be good to go. It can be rough if she smites the same clothy over and over though, so be prepared to drop some bombs.

For the black knight, especially in heroic, in phase three, make sure the tank is ssed and beaconed right before it starts. Judge light on the boss. Put up shadow aura, and pop aura mastery on the 2nd or 3rd deathbite. other than that, just make sure you have enough mana to drop holy light bombs the whole phase. Should be enough to get through.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I toss Bacon on whoever gets the Marked for Death thing.

And then Holy Light everyone else in the party in sequence.

Oats on
  • Options
    Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jaded wrote: »

While not a big deal, I wonder how they will be doing VoA. If people get a group going and just summon you in, I guess it doesn't matter if you have it or not.

Thomase1984 on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wasn't it said back at blizzcon cross-server LFG wouldn't be applying to raids, at least not immediately? Just 5 mans, which really gets rid of most of the problems - the loot isn't that great, even for people who still need it, the badges give better than the loot itself. If somebody ninjas the orb, meh, they're 30g on my server and recent transfers have been shocked at how high they still are.

Hevach on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I actually rather enjoy healing ToC now. It was impossible at first, but that was more a product of my gear than anything. Now it's the only heroic I find challenging at all. Bacon o' Light especially is a lifesaver there, as it effectively doubles the range of your heals. It does help that I'm human, as I get an extra fear break, but some fast healing before the waking nightmare goes off never results in someone at less than half health after. Black Knight phase 2 can suck my dick, but at least we have bubble to get through that, it has to suck for other healers. Phase 3 is fun because I know I can stop worrying about mana conservation and just carpet bomb with HLs.

It also helps that I only do heroics with guildies. Then I know that I can trust people to take care of themselves if they drop too low until I can triage enough to reach them.

Mars on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Question from someone who never made it past 40.

At the end-game area, whats world pvp like? Constant conflict? Or the often but not constant fighting as seen in the likes of STV

CangoFett on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »

At the end-game area, whats world pvp like? Constant conflict? Or the often but not constant fighting as seen in the likes of STV

non-existant, except when scheduled for every two hours in Wintergrasp.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »

Hey, now. Hey.

Sometimes a Rogue might gank you when you're doing dailies and are fighting something.

Sometimes.

Not often.

But sometimes.

reVerse on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    World pvp tends to be higher level players, or dudes dual-boxing, ganking people out in the world levelling their mans.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mars wrote: »
    I actually rather enjoy healing ToC now. It was impossible at first, but that was more a product of my gear than anything. Now it's the only heroic I find challenging at all. Bacon o' Light especially is a lifesaver there, as it effectively doubles the range of your heals. It does help that I'm human, as I get an extra fear break, but some fast healing before the waking nightmare goes off never results in someone at less than half health after. Black Knight phase 2 can suck my dick, but at least we have bubble to get through that, it has to suck for other healers. Phase 3 is fun because I know I can stop worrying about mana conservation and just carpet bomb with HLs.

It also helps that I only do heroics with guildies. Then I know that I can trust people to take care of themselves if they drop too low until I can triage enough to reach them.

The Black Knight's phase 3 is the ideal time for Divine Sacrifice.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

And then briefly thereafter, as the losing side bitterly camps out at whatever location contains the mobs for the gathering quest, killing everyone trying to do that solo.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Incoming PvP server v. PvE server argument.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    815165 wrote: »
    Try having a Finnish name, not cool in the least.

Also, yeah, if that turns out to be false there'll be machetes involved.

I can out-knife you though.
    Never start a war with the Finnish.

They have snipers on skis.

Skis!

edit: thus concludes everything I know about Finland.

Indeed we do.

I was about to bring that guy up. Total bad ass.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Saeris wrote: »

And then briefly thereafter, as the losing side bitterly camps out at whatever location contains the mobs for the gathering quest, killing everyone trying to do that solo.

Well, since you get 5 (out of 10) quest items from looting the corpses of opposing faction players at the appropriate area, they're just there to make sure that they get it done fast.

Or they could be dicks, I don't know.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I'm in heroic/badge gear, so I'm crit specced. Not switching to DS until I have a comfortable level of gear crit. Plus frankly, I've never yet been in a situation where I needed it.

Mars on
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Hey, now. Hey.

Sometimes a Rogue might gank you when you're doing dailies and are fighting something.

Sometimes.

Not often.

But sometimes.

Or you have that fight break out around summoning stones.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Well, since you get 5 (out of 10) quest items from looting the corpses of opposing faction players at the appropriate area, they're just there to make sure that they get it done fast.

That's true, but my experience has been that they usually stay well past however long it takes to get their 10.

Also, the losing side can't always get those quests. You can turn it in at your own camp if you already had it from before, but for some variants of the quest you can't pick it up unless your side owns the fortress.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It's used to be (and maybe still is) the only way to get the Fire Harvesting quest done. Those fucking fire elementals have the SLOWEST respawn EVER, so it's kill the other side or good luck waiting an hour to do the damn quest.

shryke on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Incoming PvP server v. PvE server argument.

PvP servers are good for one thing

Carebearing means something.

Alegis on
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't forget there is always a chance for PvP at the meeting stone of the heroic daily instance or Friday night at Ulduar.

Tyberius on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I'm in heroic/badge gear, so I'm crit specced. Not switching to DS until I have a comfortable level of gear crit. Plus frankly, I've never yet been in a situation where I needed it.

You're never going to have a situation where you absolutely have to have DS, but once you get good enough gear you'll want to switch, I guarantee it. Well, if you plan to raid anyway. Our holy paladin uses it on every hard mode fight in the game. Some it makes a huge difference for, others it just helps, but either way it's far more useful than 8% more crit.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also, I don't know what kind of tanks people run ToC5 with, but everything about the black knight is a joke. Every tank has abilities that make picking up his army of the dead ghouls easy as hell.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As a tank I've always seen more trouble in phase 3, where your healer has to really work.

That and having DPS with like 14k health is tricky.

captaink on
  • Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    captaink wrote: »
    As a tank I've always seen more trouble in phase 3, where your healer has to really work.

That and having DPS with like 14k health is tricky.

Only big issues i see in ToC nowadays is when the ghouls get a big bright arrow over their heads, start to grow and people just stand there. I feel sorry for the healers then....

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    There's tools to keep the ghouls in check, but there's still a lot of them and sometimes a couple get away. It doesn't bother me because I know the tank is putting all his effort toward the knight, and as far as I'm concerned, the best strat there is just to burn the fucker down before anything bad can happen.

Mars on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    When I'm tanking ToC5, the only time I even bother trying to tank the ghouls is when they're going for the healer. Having healed the fight myself, it's not difficult to heal the DPS that are being chased by ghouls, but it does get significantly more difficult if any of those buggers come for me. So, I base my tanking decisions on that.

His different phases usually go down very quick anyway, so it's not like it's a huge problem.

reVerse on
This discussion has been closed.