As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comic for Monday March 26, 2007

124»

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    probably 3?

how about the cheetos one

that was shit

there have been a small handful

Skull Man on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    the comic strip where he proposed was fucking adorable

mrpaku on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    CTS but then they aren't designed to be primarily funny.

jwalk on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited March 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Yeah I mean it's actually not funny at all, but I guess there have probably been three PA strips that weren't funny. How about that one where Gabe proposed to Kara? That wasn't funny.

I dunno, there was a pretty good joke in that one

Whippy on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't think the watch could be sold for the same reason Gabe's shirt can't be sold

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It would be for charity.

You really think Namco's going to be a dick about it.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Doesn't matter if it's for charity. You don't understand how copyright law works.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if it's for charity. You don't understand how copyright law works.

penny arcade is getting kind of popular, i bet they could talk them into it

mrpaku on
    edited March 2007
    They might be able to but they would still almost certainly need to get their approval otherwise I suspect that Namco would be fully justified in pursuiing a legal action. Another aspect to consider is whether Namco would really want it's IP represented in such a (from their perspective) violent way as a blodd spattered Pac Man watch. Not saying they would mind but it's a real possibility.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    They might be able to but they would still almost certainly need to get their approval otherwise I suspect that Namco would be fully justified in pursuiing a legal action. Another aspect to consider is whether Namco would really want it's IP represented in such a (from their perspective) violent way as a blodd spattered Pac Man watch. Not saying they would mind but it's a real possibility.

That would be hard to argue, given that they've taken to making fighting games, but yeah it's still their IP.

Defender on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Maybe they could get Namco to make a gold pacman watch and then donate it to the auction? I mean, that's perfectly legit so long as they're fine with their iconic character being used to support sick kids.

TankHammer on
    edited March 2007
    I doubt it'll happen. Why would Namco want to go to the trouble of making a single watch? If they were going to produce said watch it would be much more appealing if they could produce them in large quantities and there was actually a sizable market for them. From what I've seen in this thread it doesn't even sound like Mike & Jerry are seriously considering doing this so it seems like idle conjecture anyway.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Malice AforethoughtMalice Aforethought Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BusterK wrote: »
    I don't think the watch could be sold for the same reason Gabe's shirt can't be sold

I'd have to look into it a bit closer but I'm fairly certain that if Penny Arcade purchases the pac-man watch (or shirt or whatever) lawfully, and doesn't recreate it themselves, then the first sale doctrine would protect them from copyright infringment.

Decent write up at wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

Malice Aforethought on
    edited March 2007
    Yeah but what they're all getting moist over is a special edition Penny Arcade Pac-Man watch. If it's just a regular Pac-Man watch any other schlub could buy, why would anyone buy it at a charity auction?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited March 2007
    I guessed the original inspiration for the watch is a real-life version that Gabe or Tycho bought some time ago? Otherwise you're right they'd have to re-create it and violate copyright.

Malice Aforethought on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Maybe they could get Namco to make a gold pacman watch and then donate it to the auction? I mean, that's perfectly legit so long as they're fine with their iconic character being used to support sick kids.

Wouldn't it make more sense for them just to donate a one-time license to use that IP for that purpose? I mean, why should they also have to make the watch?

Defender on
    edited March 2007
    Defender wrote: »

Wouldn't it make more sense for them just to donate a one-time license to use that IP for that purpose? I mean, why should they also have to make the watch?

They would probably want to donate it personally because they get better PR physically donating an item than just granting the license to make one.

Malice Aforethought on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    man I wish I was popular enough that I could ignore IP copyright law.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
This discussion has been closed.