As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

DirgeDirge Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Graphic Violence
With the recent release of TMNT the old cartoon has been brought into discussion among my friends and I. MY question is this

Did Shredder ever work for or under Krang? In the comics or the cartoons.

Sorry if this is off topic, but it seemed like the place to post it.

Your tongues can't repel flavor of that magnitude!
Dirge on

• Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cartoon yes.

Comic, there really isn't a Krang. Utroms are kinda similar, but I think Shredder was dead before they even showed up in the comics.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Was this the new cartoon or the classic? Also what was the whole story with it if you don't mind me asking

Dirge on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Err...there's a question thread for this sort of thing. It's quite easy to see.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Classic cartoon.

Whole story with what? Wikipedia is going to help you more than I ever could.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    all I can find in there is that they worked together not really that one worked for the other. The closest thing I can find is that Krang was the final boss in a couple games.

Dirge on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well there you go.

august on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Dirge wrote: »
    all I can find in there is that they worked together not really that one worked for they other. The closest thing I can find is that Krang was the final boss in a couple games.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Grifter on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2007
    I'm going to turn this into a Ninja Turtles thread, since the new movie and the newer cartoon both take a good deal of inspiration from the comics.

And no, Krang was never in the comics. Neither were Rocksteady or Bebop.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Unless you are talking about the Archie series of comics, which were semi based on the 80's cartoons.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2007
    man, who would want to talk about those

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    they don't exist...

Dirge on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There was some pretty good story arcs in that series.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just to repeat, nope, no Krang in the comics. The Utroms/TCRI aliens were in the series and they were what Krang was based veeeeeeery loosely on. They actually pulled a Utrom reveal from the second movie for fear people would think it was Krang. It's odd, Eastman and Laird got kind of touchy about the way the property was handled after a lot of the camp was turned up in the original cartoon, and just flat out fought against including aspects of it in the live action movies (the Utroms, and fighting tooth and nail against putting Rocksteady and Bebop in the second movie despite the studio wanting them in there).

Someone asked in the "Ask Whippy" thread which issues/arcs to get. It's kind of a tough one to answer. The first dozen or so issues written/drawn by Eastman and Laird were really damned good. Then you have a ton of issues with their occasional participation in creating that have very loose connection to one another, that are a mixed bag. Some great stuff, mixed with mediocre stuff. Then you have Eastman and Laird coming back for two storylines that I love, Return To New York and City At War. Definitely worth a read. Volume 2 that only ran for a dozen or so issues was also rather good.

The Image run though? Wow. They just tried too hard. Ultra violent in places, turtles getting eyes taken out, getting mutilated and cyborged out, etc. There's a reason this run is ignored when Mirage started up volume 4.

Only read a few issues of volume 4 though, and am curious, if anyone around here actually reads/read it (I know it's currently on hiatus). Also curious about the new Tales of the TMNT series as well if anyone is familiar with it.

Aoi on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't think that's odd. If I had my intellectual property made in to a crappy thirty-minute toy commercial I'd fight to keep it down too.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    I don't think that's odd. If I had my intellectual property made in to a crappy thirty-minute toy commercial I'd fight to keep it down too.

It shows too these days. Peter Laird has tried his damndest it seems to keep a fairly firm grasp on the property since back then. Well, it DID seem like he was trying. I don't know what the hell happened with the "Fast Forward" crap that's on tv now :?

Aoi on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aoi wrote: »

It shows too these days. Peter Laird has tried his damndest it seems to keep a fairly firm grasp on the property since back then. Well, it DID seem like he was trying. I don't know what the hell happened with the "Fast Forward" crap that's on tv now :?

4Kids hit him with their mind lasers.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Aoi wrote: »

4Kids hit him with their mind lasers.

Again, it's odd. He and his "normal" Turtles team actually worked on an unaired fifth season that's now, I believe, getting shown as a lost season earlier in the mornings on Saturday. They actually have two different teams working on episodes, or did.

Aoi on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    There was some very cool stuff early on. Mostly the stuff that the first movie was based around with the turtles fighting Shredder and the Foot. I'm not such a big fan of the space and time travel stuff. My favorite TMNT comic is probably the color collection that starts out with Leo (in the movie it was Raph) getting his ass kicked by the Foot, them fighting their way out through the second hand shop, recovering out on the farm, and then heading back to confront Shredder and the Foot.

I love classic mullet Casey leaping through the air yelling "Goongala goongala!" :)

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    DMAC wrote: »
    There was some very cool stuff early on. Mostly the stuff that the first movie was based around with the turtles fighting Shredder and the Foot. I'm not such a big fan of the space and time travel stuff. My favorite TMNT comic is probably the color collection that starts out with Leo (in the movie it was Raph) getting his ass kicked by the Foot, them fighting their way out through the second hand shop, recovering out on the farm, and then heading back to confront Shredder and the Foot.

I love classic mullet Casey leaping through the air yelling "Goongala goongala!" :)

I loved a lot of the Casey/Raph stuff. The two of them worked so damned well off one another, being the anti-social, half crazy bastards that they both were in the book.

Aoi on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They were lovers

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I liked casey Jones. Even more than than the turles at times

Dirge on