As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] What A Long, Strange Chat it's Been

• mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is why I still don't have the achievement for not getting blown up.... some idiot in my group invariably stands right next to every single one that explodes...

mturalon on
  • SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mars wrote: »
    Saeris wrote: »
    I actually rather enjoy healing ToC now. It was impossible at first, but that was more a product of my gear than anything. Now it's the only heroic I find challenging at all. Bacon o' Light especially is a lifesaver there, as it effectively doubles the range of your heals. It does help that I'm human, as I get an extra fear break, but some fast healing before the waking nightmare goes off never results in someone at less than half health after. Black Knight phase 2 can suck my dick, but at least we have bubble to get through that, it has to suck for other healers. Phase 3 is fun because I know I can stop worrying about mana conservation and just carpet bomb with HLs.

It also helps that I only do heroics with guildies. Then I know that I can trust people to take care of themselves if they drop too low until I can triage enough to reach them.

The Black Knight's phase 3 is the ideal time for Divine Sacrifice.

I'm in heroic/badge gear, so I'm crit specced. Not switching to DS until I have a comfortable level of gear crit. Plus frankly, I've never yet been in a situation where I needed it.

By "crit spec" do you mean taking those Ret crit talents? What's the attraction of those? Greater mana longevity? My gear is pretty awful as well, but I can't say I've ever had a problem with mana as a Holy paladin, using this spec.

It's true that you may never actually need Divine Sacrifice, but it's superbly nice to have, because it helps to cover that one area Holy paladins are lacking in: group healing.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I actually rather enjoy healing ToC now. It was impossible at first, but that was more a product of my gear than anything. Now it's the only heroic I find challenging at all. Bacon o' Light especially is a lifesaver there, as it effectively doubles the range of your heals. It does help that I'm human, as I get an extra fear break, but some fast healing before the waking nightmare goes off never results in someone at less than half health after. Black Knight phase 2 can suck my dick, but at least we have bubble to get through that, it has to suck for other healers. Phase 3 is fun because I know I can stop worrying about mana conservation and just carpet bomb with HLs.

It also helps that I only do heroics with guildies. Then I know that I can trust people to take care of themselves if they drop too low until I can triage enough to reach them.

I'm in heroic/badge gear, so I'm crit specced. Not switching to DS until I have a comfortable level of gear crit. Plus frankly, I've never yet been in a situation where I needed it.

You're never going to have a situation where you absolutely have to have DS, but once you get good enough gear you'll want to switch, I guarantee it. Well, if you plan to raid anyway. Our holy paladin uses it on every hard mode fight in the game. Some it makes a huge difference for, others it just helps, but either way it's far more useful than 8% more crit.

By "crit spec" do you mean taking those Ret crit talents? What's the attraction of those? Greater mana longevity? I can't say I've ever had a problem with mana as a Holy paladin, using this spec.

The attraction is big numbers.

Everyone loves them big numbers.

reVerse on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    reVerse wrote: »

You're never going to have a situation where you absolutely have to have DS, but once you get good enough gear you'll want to switch, I guarantee it. Well, if you plan to raid anyway. Our holy paladin uses it on every hard mode fight in the game. Some it makes a huge difference for, others it just helps, but either way it's far more useful than 8% more crit.

By "crit spec" do you mean taking those Ret crit talents? What's the attraction of those? Greater mana longevity? I can't say I've ever had a problem with mana as a Holy paladin, using this spec.

The attraction is big numbers.

Everyone loves them big numbers.
    The attraction is being able to throw out those big numbers for fucking ever. My GL/RL loves me. He puts all the other healers in the group with the shamans for tides then sticks me wherever. I can Flash of Light + holy shock, while judging light and refreshing beacon and sacred shield as needed for pretty much ever and still top the meters unless it's an olol chain heal fight. Then, if the situation gets hairy, or it's a point of the fight with spike damage like, impales, frozen blows, tantrums what have you, i have tons of mana to spam holy light with.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    amggg come on servers I've been home sick all day. At least I had the RB2 Queen pack to keep me occupied.

troublebrewing on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There's tools to keep the ghouls in check, but there's still a lot of them and sometimes a couple get away. It doesn't bother me because I know the tank is putting all his effort toward the knight, and as far as I'm concerned, the best strat there is just to burn the fucker down before anything bad can happen.

I just blow AotD and let the war begin. The DPS focus fire the Black Knight and it's a quick phase.

The usual problem you run into is everyone being so low health by the end, the DPS drop like flies in Phase 3.

shryke on
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What Tofy said. My heals hit hard, which means I have to use less of them, plus I get a mana return. Hell, this has been the way paladins have worked for-fucking-ever, just because they made it not-absurd in 3.2 doesn't mean it's still not very good. When your gear is enough to naturally sustain that kind of longevity, then yes, you switch, which is precisely what I said I would do. For now though, I can heal every fight I've been to, damage spikes/screwups and all, without running the risk of going OOM.

Mars on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    crit is useful for the mana regen. It's not as big as it once was, but it's still very viable.

And really, the Divine Guardian spec is more for big numbers, because you take Divinity which gives you 5% more healing (but nothing else). It's not as desirable, because you're basically just speccing for a cooldown, whereas with the bonus crit you're getting imp might (not a huge deal at all, but still nice if there isn't a ret paladin in your 5 man or raid), and a continuous boost to your mana regen. (edit: plus the things I left out that shryke just said)

Not to mention that when you crit with holy shock, you also either increase your crit chance with holy light, or can whip off an instant flash of light.

I have really wanted to experiment with a prot pally who would take divinity as well, however. You'd be getting a 10% healing boost, which is pretty nice.

Langly on
    edited October 2009
    What Tofy said. My heals hit hard, which means I have to use less of them, plus I get a mana return. Hell, this has been the way paladins have worked for-fucking-ever, just because they made it not-absurd doesn't mean it's still not very good. When your gear is enough to naturally sustain that kind of longevity, then yes, you switch, which is precisely what I said I would do. For now though, I can heal every fight I've been to, damage spikes/screwups and all, without running the risk of going OOM.

Aye. Looking at which tree to subspec in, you get:

8% Crit
    10% reduced mana cost on instants
    3% crit raid buff
    Better BoM

vs

+5% Healing
    Divine Sacrifice

Your giving up ALOT just to get DS.

shryke on
    edited October 2009
    Langly wrote: »
    crit is useful for the mana regen. It's not as big as it once was, but it's still very viable.

And really, the Divine Guardian spec is more for big numbers, because you take Divinity which gives you 5% more healing (but nothing else). It's not as desirable, because you're basically just speccing for a cooldown, whereas with the bonus crit you're getting imp might (not a huge deal at all, but still nice if there isn't a ret paladin in your 5 man or raid), and a continuous boost to your mana regen. (edit: plus the things I left out that shryke just said)

Not to mention that when you crit with holy shock, you also either increase your crit chance with holy light, or can whip off an instant flash of light.

I have really wanted to experiment with a prot pally who would take divinity as well, however. You'd be getting a 10% healing boost, which is pretty nice.
    Yeah, put Imp Devo aura in there too and it's nuts. I wanna see what that looks like with T9-4pc in the prot healing spec that used to be awesome for Vezax hard mode. Back when Touched by the Light used Stam. That would be something like a 20k Flash of light crit in current gear, which would then be a 40k HoT on the sacred shield. :shock:

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When coming back to WoW I didn't expect paladins to be the new undead rogues.

Panda4You on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    shryke wrote: »
    What Tofy said. My heals hit hard, which means I have to use less of them, plus I get a mana return. Hell, this has been the way paladins have worked for-fucking-ever, just because they made it not-absurd doesn't mean it's still not very good. When your gear is enough to naturally sustain that kind of longevity, then yes, you switch, which is precisely what I said I would do. For now though, I can heal every fight I've been to, damage spikes/screwups and all, without running the risk of going OOM.

8% Crit
    3% crit raid buff
    Better BoM

vs

+5% Healing
    Divine Sacrifice

Context is a beautiful thing. My raids have a holy paladin who specs DS, and a Ret Paladin, but no Prot Paladin. So the holy paladin is only giving up 8% crit and 10% mana reduction on holy shock/judgement(the other two talents are covered by ret) and she gains +11% healing done (Imp Devo Aura is in the DS spec and gains DS, which saves all healers a shitload of mana every fight.

Both specs are nice. One has a great utility cooldown, the other one has better longevity. Our holy paladin doesn't need the extra longevity between replenishment/DP/AT and thus gets better mileage from the DS spec.

Joshmvii on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    so, I ordered a new authenticator on the 7th, and haven't heard anything about them shipping it yet. The site didn't say they were sold out - does it usually take this long? I don't remember it taking forever last year.

were undead rogues really good or something?

Langly on
    edited October 2009
    To be fair panda, that spec i mentioned is specifically designed for retardedly huge flash of light crits, and is pretty much only useful in that one fight. The spec has since been nerfed as well, since the Touched by the light talent now works off Strength instead of Stam. That spec loses all of the mana recovery abilities that Holy has and Beacon of Light, in order to get what it does. The only reason it still works is because there is no mana recovery in that fight anyway, and nobody but the tank should take any damage.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    shryke wrote: »

8% Crit
    3% crit raid buff
    Better BoM

vs

+5% Healing
    Divine Sacrifice

Context is a beautiful thing. My raids have a holy paladin who specs DS, and a Ret Paladin, but no Prot Paladin. So the holy paladin is only giving up 8% crit and 10% mana reduction on holy shock/judgement(the other two talents are covered by ret) and she gains +11% healing done (Imp Devo Aura is in the DS spec and gains DS, which saves all healers a shitload of mana every fight.

Both specs are nice. One has a great utility cooldown, the other one has better longevity. Our holy paladin doesn't need the extra longevity between replenishment/DP/AT and thus gets better mileage from the DS spec.

Aye, it depends on Group Size and make-up.

But generally, the smaller the group and the lower level your gear, the better Ret-subspec is.

Hence, why it's an attractive spec.

shryke on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Radiation wrote: »
    DPS being picky? That's funny, because its so easy to replace dps.
    I can't wait until the cross server lfg thing is in place, should mean more peeps to run stuff with at ungodly hours. Though I'm sure this opens up the possibility into running into MORE shitty/terribad people.

I too cannot wait for LFG battlegroup but then looking around I think I am going to run into the same problem I have now lfm for tank/healer

Hop on your rogue, I'll tank for ya.

Bigity on
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Langly wrote: »
    were undead rogues really good or something?
    They were the ganking-asshole class setup.

Panda4You on
  • mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    why undead? simply because of their "will of the forsaken"??

mturalon on
  • frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    mturalon wrote: »
    why undead? simply because of their "will of the forsaken"??

And they get to eat your corpse as an extra taunt type "corpse hump" ability.

frylocked on
  • darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just pugged H CoS

Once we all got in and got to where it was about to start, the raid leader asked me "for 100g each we'll run you through and you won't have to do anything, and we'll all pass on the drake".
    I said "don't you all already have it?" and he replied "yes, but if you pay each of us 100g we won't roll on it so you'll be guaranteed to get it"
    I didn't pay them because i'm not stupid, and their healer afks during the Infinite Corrupter fight and they wipe at like 5% anyways :P

PUGs....

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But it was mostly WOTF. Considering the main defense of at least two classes was fear and it was the easiest way of breaking it, it was an easy choice.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    Just pugged H CoS

Once we all got in and got to where it was about to start, the raid leader asked me "for 100g each we'll run you through and you won't have to do anything, and we'll all pass on the drake".
    I said "don't you all already have it?" and he replied "yes, but if you pay each of us 100g we won't roll on it so you'll be guaranteed to get it"
    I didn't pay them because i'm not stupid, and their healer afks during the Infinite Corrupter fight and they wipe at like 5% anyways :P

PUGs....

Weird. Doesn't it automatically pass if you've already got it? So, if they've got it, they couldn't roll on it anyway, right?

So, basically they're just preying on the stupidity of idiots... which is something I can get behind, actually.

reVerse on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Weird. Doesn't it automatically pass if you've already got it? So, if they've got it, they couldn't roll on it anyway, right?

It doesn't automatically pass. Not only is the item not unique, but it gets consumed when you learn how to summon the mount anyhow.

If you have the mount already, there's nothing to stop you from being an asshole and rolling on it.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited October 2009
    End wrote: »

It doesn't automatically pass. Not only is the item not unique, but it gets consumed when you learn how to summon the mount anyhow.

If you have the mount already, there's nothing to stop you from being an asshole and rolling on it.

Well, assholery I can't get behind. So I guess those guys are poopyheads.

reVerse on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Getting my new Macbook tomorrow. Can't wait to go from 15 fps at minimum settings to 60-70 with it all turned right up.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Arivia wrote: »
    Getting my new Macbook tomorrow. Can't wait to go from 15 fps at minimum settings to 60-70 with it all turned right up.

I think you should be alot more cautiously optimistic. I don't think I got anywhere near that with my MBP.
    WoW actually runs alot smoother for me on my Windows 7 partition of my Macbook Pro than the OS X partition.

darkenedwing on
    edited October 2009

I think you should be alot more cautiously optimistic. I don't think I got anywhere near that with my MBP.
    WoW actually runs alot smoother for me on my Windows 7 partition of my Macbook Pro than the OS X partition.

I ended up lucking out and picking up the 15" with discreet 9600, so those have been the fps I've been seeing on the Mac support forum and so on. We'll see. I will be installing Windows 7 either way.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I ended up lucking out and picking up the 15" with discreet 9600, so those have been the fps I've been seeing on the Mac support forum and so on. We'll see. I will be installing Windows 7 either way.

Then one would wonder why the hell you would spend $1000+ on a notebook when you can get one MUCH cheaper with Windows 7... I'll never understand Mac users. But hey, that's just me :P

GPIA7R on
    edited October 2009
    Damn, they must be a lot better than the 8600's then of my Last-July model.
    Mine is just about medium for all setting, but 1440x900 resolution and I sometimes get some pretty terribad lag in raids.

darkenedwing on
    edited October 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »

Then one would wonder why the hell you would spend $1000+ on a notebook when you can get one MUCH cheaper with Windows 7... I'll never understand Mac users. But hey, that's just me :P

I'm loving Windows 7. Pretty sure my next computer will be a Windows machine; but I've loved my MBP while i've had it. It seems to be falling apart though. Had it for less than a year and a half and the paint is wearing off in alot of places, alot of the keys are sticking, and the battery life is lacking :(

darkenedwing on
    edited October 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »

Threw a thread up here about it, actually. I originally was going for the 13" 9400 integrated (25-35 fps at eh settings in Northrend), but my mother found the 15" as a steal at a photography trade show.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ...Paint?

I don't know about you, but my Macbook Pro is almost a year and a half old now and it runs just as well as the day I got it. It's also, y'know, made of unpainted aluminum. You sure you have a MBP?

No key sticking, battery life is just fine (plus I abuse my battery--it's plugged in almost all the time). You sure you aren't using your laptop as a coaster or something?

Senshi on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ugh I'm getting this (not a macbook) and I'm worried about how it runs WoW. It should be respectable right?

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/321957-321957-64295-3929941-3955552-3935157-3988093-3951849.html

Better than my super old single core processor AMD XP2100+ with a GeForce 6800 GS I hope. Slow hard drive though :( Still, I couldn't beat the price I could get going through the school I work for.

Bigity on
    edited October 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    ...Paint?

I don't know about you, but my Macbook Pro is almost a year and a half old now and it runs just as well as the day I got it. It's also, y'know, made of unpainted aluminum. You sure you have a MBP?

No key sticking, battery life is just fine (plus I abuse my battery--it's plugged in almost all the time). You sure you aren't using your laptop as a coaster or something?
    macbook-pitting2.jpg

Just like that, the finish coming off or whatever it is. but alot more than that.

darkenedwing on
  • Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mine is starting to do that too. In that exact same spot. You're playing too much wow

Basren Dragonsnack on
    PSN: Scotty85
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    ...Paint?

macbook-pitting2.jpg

Just like that, the finish coming off or whatever it is. but alot more than that.

I'd imagine the new plastic version released today wouldn't have that issue?

Hell, even my netbook ran Warcraft fine. I wouldn't raid with it... but it's been said before - Warcraft can run on a toasted cheese sandwich at 40fps

GPIA7R on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    So for the last hours I get to "Success!" when logging in and then stuck until disconnected.

Success my ass.

Echo on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But it was mostly WOTF. Considering the main defense of at least two classes was fear and it was the easiest way of breaking it, it was an easy choice.

This.

Priest vs. UD Rogue; The goal was to live until the 3rd fear. (30 Sec c/d on fear) You had almost no chance to live, especially with -99% movement speed and -50% healing

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    edited October 2009
    Mine is starting to do that too. In that exact same spot. You're playing too much wow

Yea I guess 1000 hours in a year is too much, isn't it?

And yea, WoW runs like butter most of the time, but when raiding it takes a big hit, especially with...
    Xperl
    QH
    Bartender
    RicoMinimap
    Auctioneer
    Gearscore
    etc

all loaded up and running.

darkenedwing on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    So for the last hours I get to "Success!" when logging in and then stuck until disconnected.

Success my ass.

I suggest canceling your success.

And no, I'm not kidding. Sometimes it just fails to make the jump from logging into the game, and logging into the realm server character list. Canceling will usually drop you into realm list.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.