As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Apple Stuff: Brought to you by the letter "M"

Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
MacBook, iMac, Mac Mini, Magic Mouse and new Mapple Mremote.

overview_hero1_20091020.png

The new iMacs are 16:9, or so I've heard. That's pretty awesome, really. 27" is just monstrous in size.

overview_hero1_20091020.jpg

New MacBooks have nice new unibodies and glass trackpads and non-removable "super batteries"

hero_1_20091020.jpg

And while everyone wants a mouse with more buttons, Apple continues to make mouses with no buttons at all. I'm not even sure you can trigger expose at all with this one. Laaaaaame.

Also there's a new remote that no one will buy because they no longer come with computers ($20), and the Airport Extreme got a 50% boost in range.

Discuss!

PSN & Live: buckwilson
Doc Holliday on

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Love the new mouse design, but as function? seems pretty useless.

Think im going to have to get one of those 27 inch imacs, but £1500 ? D:

Ziggymon on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rumor has it that the new iMacs had BR drives dropped at the last minute before production, which explains the 16:9 ratio.

I will probably pick up a new remote when my old remote from my iPod dock dies. Because remote controlling iTunes is kinda sweet.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mac Mini servers sound interesting, especially if it includes the unlimited version of 10.6 server ($499 right there).

FF on
    Huh...
  • redxxiiredxxii Persona Non Grata Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The sad part is I just ordered a new iMac a week ago, so I got kind of screwed there. On the plus side, it came in the new mega-sized aluminum chaise, which is pretty sweet, and the specs aren't so bad that it's a quantum leap over what I have. Still, I'd return it and get a new one if I wouldn't get screwed on the return and restocking fees.

redxxii on
    LoL: Handweasel
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Magic Mouse looks incredible, but I'd have to try it in person. I can imagine it as being either the most comfortable mouse ever or even more unusable than the godawful Mighty Mouse.

That being said, I do find it hilarious that they're advertising screen zoom as a mouse 'feature' when it's just using the built-in OS magnification support as-is (Ctrl + standard up/down mouse scroll)

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Magic mouse will fail. Sure it has gestures, but it has like, 2 of them. They rumors were presenting it as a device that would have the same type of finger swipe controls as the laptop trackpads.

The 27" iMac would be perfect with Blu-ray, without it, it just feels like all that resolution is going to waste. BTW, the 21.5" is a 1080p panel, the 27" is a monster 2,560x1,440 display. I want that. The 27" model has a SD card slot, while not a big deal is a nice touch.

The new MacBook is kinda meh. Basically a plastic unibody who's sole purpose is to make sure they have a laptop that's at the $1000 price point. They also took the SD slot out(compared to the 13.3" MBP), and there is no FireWire on it, at all. It also only has the single audo in/out port, even though there's probably space on the board for dedicated ports.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah they're trying to make up for not having pinch-zoom, which is kind of a given, considering all of their track pads have it.

With no way to launch Exposé, functionally this mouse is a step down from the Mighty Mouse, which is a pretty sucktastic mouse.

redxxii: how much is restocking? 10%? That's a pretty tough call. The $2k iMacs have the i7 quad core in them as well as that insane 2560x1440 resolution.

Doc Holliday on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah they're trying to make up for not having pinch-zoom, which is kind of a given, considering all of their track pads have it.

With no way to launch Exposé, functionally this mouse is a step down from the Mighty Mouse, which is a pretty sucktastic mouse.

redxxii: how much is restocking? 10%? That's a pretty tough call. The $2k iMacs have the i7 quad core in them as well as that insane 2560x1440 resolution.

Yeah, I'm really sceptical about the new mouse too. But at least you won't trigger expose every time you try to move it left or right, like a certain other mouse I could name :x

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I guess the upside to this mouse is that there's no itsy-bitsy little ball that gunks up after three months and forces you to disassemble the entire device to clean it.

The non-replaceable battery in the books really bothers me. They say they'll replace the battery for you, but don't list prices yet, and who knows how long they'll offer the service for.

xzzy on
  • ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Arivia wrote: »
    Rumor has it that the new iMacs had BR drives dropped at the last minute before production, which explains the 16:9 ratio.

I will probably pick up a new remote when my old remote from my iPod dock dies. Because remote controlling iTunes is kinda sweet.

Considering that they have a screencap of Star Trek (a film just about to be released on Blu-Ray, at least in the UK) this seems pretty likely. Plus it's a proper 1080p screen (for the 21.5"). Bit of missed opportunity really I think.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The batteries are "non-removable" but they should substitute that wording for "non-swappable". If the unibody Macbook Pros are any indication. If you've ever changed the RAM in those machines, you will have seen the battery, which is held in by 3 tri-wing screws (easily removed with a 2mm flathead) and connected with a plastic connector. Once the machines hit that magical 1-year mark, expect their batteries to go for sale online from Mac repair and parts sites. Also expect 3rd party batteries, which I've also had pretty good luck with.

Non-removable?
    non-removable-battery.jpg
    pic00656.jpg

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Theres a warning right there not to remove the battery though!

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    And if a sticker told you not to jump off a bridge, would you?

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
    edited October 2009

Yup, plus shipping and handling, ect. I'm better of sticking to what I got, the newer iMacs aren't a huge upgrade over what I got, just a slightly faster processor and a slightly better video-card. Its annoying, but it isn't the end of the world...

redxxii on
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have, at last count, four identical Apple remotes in my apartment. I'll be buying one of the aluminum ones and pairing it with our aTV solely for my wife's sake. Honestly I wish they'd make them in five colours. :)

baudattitude on
    edited October 2009
    General new Mac question: I'm unpacking my MBP tomorrow. It's entirely possible (as it came from a reseller in the end) that it might not have Snow Leopard installed from the get-go, but will have a copy inside the box, I'm told. In that case, do I install Snow Leopard first or go through the usual setup process (did it once on commission before for the creepiest guy ever who was literally a friend of a friend of a friend) first, then install Snow Leopard?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    shiiit i want that 27" iMac.

noobert on
    edited October 2009
    General new Mac question: I'm unpacking my MBP tomorrow. It's entirely possible (as it came from a reseller in the end) that it might not have Snow Leopard installed from the get-go, but will have a copy inside the box, I'm told. In that case, do I install Snow Leopard first or go through the usual setup process (did it once on commission before for the creepiest guy ever who was literally a friend of a friend of a friend) first, then install Snow Leopard?

Doesn't matter. If you boot up to check what OS is on there and it turns out to be 10.5, you might as well complete the process.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
    edited October 2009

Doesn't matter. If you boot up to check what OS is on there and it turns out to be 10.5, you might as well complete the process.

Okay, thanks.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No firewire in the Macbook? lol, well at least they have the 13 inch MBP with firewire. Basically, they switched between the white and aluminum so the aluminum has it and the white doesn't. Nice to see Apple fix its horrible mistake.

Yeah, those computers were made for bluray. Easy enough to add though with an external drive. Just have to wait for the software.

Most interesting development is that they now include IPS displays standard in the 21.5 inch model. Not a bad deal at that price.

Oh, and the new 3.06ghz Core 2 duo is different than the previous generation, it only has 3 meg L2, instead of 6.

lilB on
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm seriously considering picking up a 27" iMac and PS3 instead of upgrading my gaming PC. Gain bluray and gaming through the PS3, a sweeeeet 27" beyond Full HD display from the iMac and save space by having it all in one location.

noobert on
  • Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man I'm desperately trying to find a way to justify that 27" iMac. I can't even find a comparable monitor, which is all I really want.

Doc Holliday on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That new iMac is certainly drool worthy.

I should start saving now and pick one up in a year when I still get a student discount.

Nimble Cat on
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, this always happens.

It doesn't matter what Apple releases, whether it's an iPod or an iMac. I don't need one, because I have an older one that still works and even looks fine, but oh man I mean come on just look at that thing.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like the styling of the mouse, but the touch interface and lack of buttons is a deal breaker. No matter how nice they make it, if you are required to lift your index finger to right-click, it's a bad design. It's simply counter-intuitive and I'm surprised Apple still does it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited October 2009
    That's been a horrible design since day one. Capacitive multitouch devices can guess at some rough pressure data. I don't know why they won't just build the hardware so that it reads off the finger pushing harder at the time of the click rather than requiring you lift one finger for a right click.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It really should detect some pressure differences for right and left click so you never have to remove one or the other. Three fingers for middle click or something, and then gestures for scrolling/forward/back.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited October 2009
    noobert wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering picking up a 27" iMac and PS3 instead of upgrading my gaming PC. Gain bluray and gaming through the PS3, a sweeeeet 27" beyond Full HD display from the iMac and save space by having it all in one location.

The issue I'm wondering about is that Display port inputs don't accept DVI signals. The outputs have passthrough, so you can use a DVI display with the display port source, but it doesn't work the other way around. I'm guessing the new iMac is like the 24 inch Cinema Display, which is also incompatible with DVI/HDMI.

There is an adapter but... $$$ :S

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-p-17859.html

lilB on
    edited October 2009
    Actually, it might be worse than I thought. If the 27 inch iMac doesn't have a scaler built in then that adapter probably won't work.

So I'm guessing that means no blu-ray players, DTV boxes, PS3, Wii, or any other hardware that doesn't output DisplayPort.

lilB on
    edited October 2009

It doesn't matter what Apple releases, whether it's an iPod or an iMac. I don't need one, because I have an older one that still works and even looks fine, but oh man I mean come on just look at that thing.

When I turned mine on for the first time it was like looking into the face of God...

But yeah, really sweet display on the newer models, I've watched a few movies and games on there and it's really like nothing else I've seen before. The blacks are very deep and colors are extremely vivid, though you got to watch out for glare and reflections.

redxxii on
    edited October 2009
    If anything from experience tells me avoid the first version of an Apple redesign, In a few months they will probably add the lost Blu Ray drive at no extra cost or something.

Ziggymon on
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How bad an idea is it to buy a 13" MBP right now? They were refreshed early summer, it's not likely they'll get another update, let alone a major overhaul, any time soon right?

ascot on
    edited October 2009
    ascot wrote: »
    How bad an idea is it to buy a 13" MBP right now? They were refreshed early summer, it's not likely they'll get another update, let alone a major overhaul, any time soon right?

Since the intel chips, Updates have been far more often. Honestly its anyones guess, but id say if they were to update id say it would be in the summer again ready for the next student year.

Ziggymon on
    edited October 2009
    ascot wrote: »

it's likely we'll see a spec bump early next year, with an outside chance of for the holidays, nothing major. The only thing that kind of confuses me is that the $1000 MacBook comes with a 250GB drive standard while the $1300 MBP comes with only 160GB. Didn't matter to me as I immediately replaced it with a $50 320GB drive, but still.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Same boat, different seat.

I've been wanting one of the new 15" Macbooks Pro since this summer but my 2006 rev. A Macbook Pro works just fine, so I can't justify the upgrade.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What interests me is the fully wireless approach they're trying now. It will be interesting to see how far they want to take that and also if they mean to integrate any other devices wirelessly.

Also, what's with the SD card slot? Is Apple trying to tell us something?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited October 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    What interests me is the fully wireless approach they're trying now. It will be interesting to see how far they want to take that and also if they mean to integrate any other devices wirelessly.

Also, what's with the SD card slot? Is Apple trying to tell us something?

they put the SD slot into the 13 and 15" MacBook Pro's, mainly because people have been asking for it *forever,* especially with USB ports at a premium.

wunderbar on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    they put the SD slot into the 13 and 15" MacBook Pro's, mainly because people have been asking for it *forever,* especially with USB ports at a premium.
    Yeah, I get it in the laptops, but the desktops? Especially when they just eliminated the one wire you normally needed to use for the keyboard/mouse...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I get it in the laptops, but the desktops? Especially when they just eliminated the one wire you normally needed to use for the keyboard/mouse...

Is that the slot under the DVD drive on the iMac? I wonder how many people are going to accidentally shove their SD cards into that.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Since they seem to be so heavily pushing for a wireless aesthetic, my guess is that they don't want you cluttering up their shiny iMac with your USB-connected camera or USB card reader.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.