As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Champions Online - Men in Tights (and Furries, Oh God the Furries)

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The respec MT is a bit of a surprise, especially after the whole "it ruins the in-game economy!" bullshit we were fed earlier. Other than that, I think playing CoX for a time has dulled my nerdrage regarding MTs in general. Being a lifer probably helps, too.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I think the fact that I'm a lifer makes MTs not such a big deal to me. Plus, I got a bunch of Cryptic Points (400, to be exact) from the lifetime subscription anyway and have been saving them until something good came along to spend them on.

And that something is 2 extra costume slots per character.

Pony on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So if I was interested in getting into an MMO.. why would I choose this one?

Sell me on this game, gents!

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    4rch3nemy wrote: »

Read the OP! I think it sells the game pretty well.

Also, if you wanted a trial code let me know and I'll PM you one.

Pony on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    i personally think people are fucking morons for saying anything about the icon changes. hurf durf MR icon fix lawl no skill fix. no fucking shit they're completely different departments

There are posters on the CO forums who steadfastly refuse to believe that, and blame even the tiniest fucking thing as something that's preventing (insert their pet issue here) being dealt with.
    Yeah, well they can jump off a fuckin cliff.

There's a slider for titty size.

GungHo on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    (PvP build stuff)

No Crippling Challenge? Or did you not list it?
    Did not list it. edited post because yes it's part of my build. i forget about it becaues shadow embrace breaks block.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

i feel they succeeded in what i heard their goal was two years ago. with the inclusion of energy builders, equilibrium, and orb drops, it's an action game that happens to be an mmo. also, travel power after tutorial. great.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's very much the actiony part of it that makes it fun and interesting for me, killing monsters in an MMO have never been as fun as in CO.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    also, this game is the shortest mmo ever. you can buy the game play a month and have experienced everything! then when you canccel your account it will effectively be no monthly fees!

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    (PvP build stuff)

Did not list it. edited post because yes it's part of my build. i forget about it becaues shadow embrace breaks block.

It does? Does the block break linger after the fact or does the power just ignore block while it's being channeled?

Fuck, I may have to get around to making a darkness character. Or cheesing out and adding shadow embrace to my main.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Are there any universal "do this if your patcher keeps crashing" tips? After the last patch it went from a rare occurrence to happening every single time, stopping me from playing the game. :?

I don't know if this has been suggested to you yet, but make sure the drive/partition/whatever the patcher saves to has enough wiggle room. I was having the same repeated crashes during patches until I realized my windows partition was filling up ridiculously quickly with every attempt.
    I ended up fixing it by emptying my recycle bin, which I apparently had not done in three years.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    (PvP build stuff)

It does? Does the block break linger after the fact or does the power just ignore block while it's being channeled?

Fuck, I may have to get around to making a darkness character. Or cheesing out and adding shadow embrace to my main.
    Well I mean it can knockback/knock towards onto the ground even if someone is blocking. And while they're on their butt they're not blocking anymore. I can't think of any other knock-anything that can do this to someone blocking. It's the skill that can make cosmics fall over.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Akinos wrote: »
    Here goes nothin':

The "stealth nerfs" were changes made long ago and somehow snuck onto the Bloodmoon build. They were not intended to. I assure you we do not try to sneak anything in. I sit right in the midst of it and would smack anyone doing that.

We've been incredibly careful with our changes (sometimes too careful, as with Mindful Reinforcement, but the fix for that is very soon).

Granted, the recent build process mix up threw us all for a loop, but any nerfs that came out of that should be rolled back before anything goes Live.

Hope this helps. We're all still working on the game every day. :)

So the Kinetic Darts and Death Arc nerfs were there on accident and aren't going through?
    I want to kiss you through the internet for clarifying.

On this news, I bought 2,000 cryptic points and used them to get all of the costumes and 4 extra character slots. Such a whore, but I'm working overtime at work (and will through December) and between work and life this is the only game I have time for since it's so easy to pick up and play. And I love making new characters and designing costumes.

Invisible on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pony wrote: »

Read the OP! I think it sells the game pretty well.

Also, if you wanted a trial code let me know and I'll PM you one.

I have a few trial keys left as well. PM me for 'em.

Akinos on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can I have two passive self-buffs going at the same time? I have the ego one (surge? I forget) and I'm thinking of picking up lightning reflexes. Is that even possible?

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can I have two passive self-buffs going at the same time? I have the ego one (surge? I forget) and I'm thinking of picking up lightning reflexes. Is that even possible?

As far as I know, those should be fine. Ego surge is an energy form while LR is a slotted passive.

Edit: If I'm thinking of the right one, ego surge is the clickable energy form. If you're talking about the ego slotted passive (the one that procs off of something I can't remember), then no you can't have 2 slotted passives at the same time.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Only one passive at a time.

edit: yeah, what chrono said. Ego Surge is a clickie ability, so it doesn't count as a passive.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

i feel they succeeded in what i heard their goal was two years ago. with the inclusion of energy builders, equilibrium, and orb drops, it's an action game that happens to be an mmo. also, travel power after tutorial. great.

Also, you can (and probably should) play it with an Xbox 360 controller, which makes it seem even more like an action/arcade game with tasty MMO sprinkles on top.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

As far as I know, those should be fine. Ego surge is an energy form while LR is a slotted passive.

Edit: If I'm thinking of the right one, ego surge is the clickable energy form. If you're talking about the ego slotted passive (the one that procs off of something I can't remember), then no you can't have 2 slotted passives at the same time.

Ego Form ability is a slotted passive that automatically activates whenever you enter combat.

Ego Surge is a clickable that gives Ego Form.

Kinetic Darts with Incisive Wit Advantage has a 15% chance of activating Ego Form.

So you could have Lightning Reflexes Slotted and have Ego Surge or Kinetic Darts w/Advantage or both and be fine and gain both advantages at the same time. But you couldn't have both Ego Form Ability and Lightning Reflexes slotted at the same time.

Invisible on
  • Options
    bootzillabootzilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My concern isn't really for the microtransactions (MTs) themselves but adding the MTs on top of all the sweeping game balance changes (thanks Akinos for clarifying the build slippings). Since I haven't seen a another build patch go out to the test server for quite a while though, my concern is these changes will still make it to live.

IMO, everything is "OK" for the price in the Cstore EXCEPT for the most major one - $12.50 for a respec token (PER character). *facepalm* Sorry, but unless you are a lifer, $12.50 is about a month's subscription in a MMO without Champions Online in the title.

Akinos, whoever does your company's 'Market Research' study on consumer price points, needs a swift kick in the ass.

bootzilla on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    buhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh everyone in every department should stop everything, everything, until mindful reinforcement is fixed. yeah don't do anything until that's fixed. oh yeah, fix regen too. yeah and swallowtail cut. make sure you guys don't work on anything else at all until teleport is fixed. oh and shadow embrace shouldn't be doing that. oh and make sure you deal with ego blade breach. oh shotgun spamming you fixed it but fix it again. make sure your janitor stops cleaning until this issue is fixed.

yeah and make sure to kick someone because i don't want to pay a price for something I can also pay for ingame and I'm pretty sure you're the idiot and not me. i'm pretty sure that people who already paid $250 for the game don't mind paying more and that myself as someone who paid $55 should have a cheaper price

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    bootzilla wrote: »
    My concern isn't really for the microtransactions (MTs) themselves but adding the MTs on top of all the sweeping game balance changes (thanks Akinos for clarifying the build slippings). Since I haven't seen a another build patch go out to the test server for quite a while though, my concern is these changes will still make it to live.

IMO, everything is "OK" for the price in the Cstore EXCEPT for the most major one - $12.50 for a respec token (PER character). *facepalm* Sorry, but unless you are a lifer, $12.50 is about a month's subscription in a MMO without Champions Online in the title.

Akinos, whoever does your company's 'Market Research' study on consumer price points, needs a swift kick in the ass.

To be perfectly honest, as long as they keep tossing out free retcons with each new major patch (which is what CoH does and what they should do) I'm fine with full retcons being so expensive.

Keeps flavor-of-the-month faggots less irritating.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm fine with the price because I can grind out 1100G in an unknown amount of time (i want to say 15 hours) so i don't really care about it at all. let the lazy fucks pay $12.50 for a retcon. Note my 40 easily gave 100G to my low level character for about 10 retcons between 15-30.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why I gotta be a lazy fuck?

So, how can I earn cryptic bucks in game?

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ok, just bought a full retcon and when I go to the trainer I see this:

Free: no
    Purchased: 1
    Gained: 0

Someone please explain to me how you GAIN a free retcon please?

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't know any way to earn C Bucks in game. I was referrinig to individually retconing every point you spent, which costs around 1100 Global Resources at level 40.

The only way to gain a free retcon right now is by cryptic deciding to give everyone a free retcon at once.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That would fall under the "Free" category...someone tell me about the "Gained" category.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I believe (and due to the lack of responses when you asked this last time reinforces this) that there isn't any way to currently earn C-bucks or retcons in game.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    oh i understand now. I thought gained would flip free to on. sorry, no clue about gained.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    so uh

apparently on the test server now you can just be whatever level you want and they will give you gear appropriate to your level

that's uh

interesting

Pony on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    you mean the npc that offers level 5, 10, 15, etc, to 40 in increments of 5? then gives you 6ish random pieces of gear at your current level? yeah it's neat.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    so uh

apparently on the test server now you can just be whatever level you want and they will give you gear appropriate to your level

that's uh

interesting

DAMNIT! Why do I have real life friends and a wife that insists on going to see them when there is AUTOLEVELING ON THE TEST SERVER?!?

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You do have to go through the starting crisis missions in order to access it, however, as he's in Millennium City.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So does having three different categories for retcons, most pointedly one called "Gained", make anyone else wish there was no such thing as buyers remorse?

Because I have Buyers Remorse...

and I don't like it or want it.

On a positive note, does this not give everyone hope that there will soon be a way to "gain" a retcon in game?

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    the hell is wrong with you buying a retcon anyway

they give them for free every now and again

they've done it at least twice already

buying retcon is for PVP fags who can't wait to use the latest broken power combo

Pony on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    for 1000 pts you could have almost had every new costume set

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm glad we can keep the discussion civil here and not resorting to name-cal...oh wait.

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    i might work on a new character today.

should i try:
    -PA wham wham wahmwahwamahawmh
    or
    -Archery in an attempt to make a good playable archery character

?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd love to try out some new character builds but I have no character slots left and a I don't want to get rid of the characters I have. I want 5 more character slots.

KG3000 on
    What?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    WELL YOU ARE IN LUCK MY FRIEND FOR CRYPTIC HAS RELEASED NEW ITEMS TO THE C-STORE INCLUDING A 4 CHARACTER SLOT PACK! IT IS AS IF IT WAS TAILOR MADE FOR YOUR NEEDS, MY FRIEND~

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
This discussion has been closed.