As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hates, Hopes, Happies, Hard Modes, and Harpies

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hate: Still no freakin toothpicks. It's all I need!

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    damn brewfest is really one of the easiest? I was hoping they wouldn't get too much harder. it was the first one I did, this is my second.

I guess I shouldn't say hard, just time consuming.

well at least after finishing the candy buckets (flying to my last 3 right now) I have all my explorations and flight paths done.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Happy: Picked up the Broom Mount from the daily HH run. Nice to see it no longer has a duration, just a Hallow's End requirement. So I could just toss it into the bank until next year when the time comes.

Hope: I at least See the horse drop this year.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    damn brewfest is really one of the easiest? I was hoping they wouldn't get too much harder. it was the first one I did, this is my second.

Well its the only one you can finish without relying on RNG (maybe christmas also?). They are all about the same in terms of difficulty.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Got drafted in, to a pug 25 man Nax. I really should know better, but sometimes you have to set a benchmark as to how bad a run can go. Plus, I would have thought people would know Nax.

We did the plague wing first

A druid who claimed that he'd go on autorun after a fight was done for no reason, as opposed to, which meant we had about a stack of 16 debuffs on the entire raid.
    A dk who said our dps was poor because they couldn't kill the gargoyles; incidently this dk was attacking the wrong gargoyle because he couldn't see the skull. To be fair, he wasn't the only dps incapable of seeing a skull
    Decursing was fun, because despite 2 mages in addition to me being there, I was the only one doing it, and with gcd's, it was not possible. Did a recount and I did 27 decurses, then below me were all priests.
    A hunter rolled on maces
    The same hunter rolled on healing cloth pants.
    The same hunter again asked for a combat rez on Heigan. Not a crime of itself, but he asked a priest.
    One guy after a wipe said "I've lost my flying mount, so can't get back" (to which I replied, I'd lost my fingers and was unable to type).
    Another dps said our dps was low on Heigan. This was true, because most of them had died in the first phase 2 of the fight.
    The shaman in the raid who kept on popping bloodlust whenever the sated buff was gone. As in, first pull of the instance, Bloodlust. 10 mins later, Bloodlust.
    One dps didn't follow the raid when we started the gauntlet; once we all reached the other end, he decided to try it on his own, at which point he died. He then asked for a rez, and refused to release.
    One dps was outside the gate when we started Loatheb (despite the 2 ready checks).

Then we started construct, at which point most of the dps decided to melee the slime after the first lot of patches and get themselves killed.

Twas a benchmark for awful pug groups; only really stuck around for the lolz to see how much worse it could get.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I did naxx25 once

Webbed Death dropped (we did Anub'Rekhan first) I won it, some stupid shaman said something moronic--I think he was begging for BoW the entire time, except he was Resto--I corrected him in a not-so-friendly way, and was promptly kicked.

I was happy. All the loot of a Naxx25, none of the wiping clusterfuck.

Senshi on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hate: people who use wow-heroes, gearscore, be.imba, or any of a number of tools to check someone's gear and competency.
    the only check worth doing is to pull up their armory and look into that, see if they have gemmed correctly, see if they have either the ideal spec for their class, or at least a spec that makes sense, and have a look at their achievement history to see how many dungeon and raid achievements they have.

it doesnt take long to do an hour or so of reading to determine gemming and talent choices for a class you haven't played. i only have four 80s...DK, paladin, warrior, druid, yet i could probably look at the armory of any other class and be able to tell whether they know what they are doing with gearing.

Scanning their armory is by no means a foolproof method, but it is definitely at least somewhat productive, compared to the others which are worse than useless.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Happy: Finally got a non-retarded Ony 10 PUG who killed her
    Sad: I died tanking the final big add, since I was healing myself as a blood DK. Apparently I don't need heals.
    Happier: OEB dropped
    Happiest ever: I won it over 3 other DKs with a 94.
    Hate: I was getting hated on when I got to dalaran as its not good for tanking.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    KafkaAU wrote: »

Well its the only one you can finish without relying on RNG (maybe christmas also?). They are all about the same in terms of difficulty.

Brewfest is super easy because you don't have to fly all over the fucking world. Just walk outside Org, Undercity, TB, and Silvermoon then that's it.

And yeah, by hard I mean boring and time consuming.

shadowane on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    Happy: Finally got a non-retarded Ony 10 PUG who killed her
    Sad: I died tanking the final big add, since I was healing myself as a blood DK. Apparently I don't need heals.
    Happier: OEB dropped
    Happiest ever: I won it over 3 other DKs with a 94.
    Hate: I was getting hated on when I got to dalaran as its not good for tanking.

it's funny that people were giving you shit about that sword not being good for tanking, because a buddy of mine won the 245 OEB in a pug on his alt DK for DPS, and some DK kept sending him tells harassing him about how it was only good for tanking. The sword is good for tanking and DPSing, people are just fucking idiots.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    I did naxx25 once

Webbed Death dropped (we did Anub'Rekhan first) I won it, some stupid shaman said something moronic--I think he was begging for BoW the entire time, except he was Resto--I corrected him in a not-so-friendly way, and was promptly kicked.

I was happy. All the loot of a Naxx25, none of the wiping clusterfuck.

How many paladins did you have in the raid. If it was 3 or more, I'm going to have to side with the shaman.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mana spring totem cancels out BoW.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why 3? Is Sanctuary better for a healer than having the option of dropping a useful Water totem?

/edit to Lorahalo: Yes, but why use Mana spring if you can use Healing Stream or Cleansing?

Grobian on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Saeris wrote: »
    That entire map is so heinously misbalanced it's ridiculous. It really needs a touch-up to compare to the other BGs. Right now it's like it was designed assuming the Horde are strategic geniuses while the Alliance can barely put their pants on by themselves, when in fact both sides are decidedly the latter.

Its the same thing for both sides, and it always has been.

Sure, you can go on about how some minor terrain difference means that the horde loses all the time, but as someone who's spent so much time in that god forsaken place that I know every detail of the revised map (been too long to remember the old versions all that well) and on both factions, I can safely say that complaining about that map favoring the other side is about as valid as blaming every death you suffer to lag.

With respect, I daresay I've been in there just as much. It's not the terrain that's the direct issue. I didn't mean to imply that it was. The map works fine if both sides know what they're doing. But if both sides are morons, you run into balance problems, problems which could've been avoided by having the terrain account for stupidity.

For example, for both sides it's possible to tag the Relief Hut / Aid Station without having to kill any archers in the bunkers/towers. However, for Alliance it's impossible to be in range of the archers and still be in range of tagging the graveyard flag; for Horde, there is only a small area to the far northwest corner of the flag that you can stand to cap it while not getting yourself full of arrows. This means the Horde players have to be smarter if they want to accomplish the same thing. In a reasonable world this is not a problem, but again, when both sides are packed with idiots, the Horde is going to be at a disadvantage.

If that was the only example, it still wouldn't be an issue, because you'd only need a single smart Horde player per game to balance it out. Most matches have at least one, and it only takes one person to kill the graveyard guards and cap it while standing outside archer range. But this isn't the only example; there are other areas where that single player is needed to offset similar issues. Until we can be in two places at once, or start requiring people to think, this is a problem.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Grobian wrote: »
    Why 3? Is Sanctuary better for a healer than having the option of dropping a useful Water totem?

/edit to Lorahalo: Yes, but why use Mana spring if you can use Healing Stream or Cleansing?

This. I always go for for BoW on my shaman. If we only have 1 paladin, we usually use the drums so we can get different buffs.

Edit:

Happy: Solo healed Phase 2 and 3 10 man Anub. Resto Shaman are awesome.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Grobian wrote: »

Because it's easier just to use Blessing of Might on Shamans and/or Paladins if there's a melee one, and, say, no warrior in the group.

2 works, 3 is ideal.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's not exactly hard to refresh a 10 minute blessing before boss fights. And isn't Imp Wis actually better than mana stream by like, 1mp5?

Besides, at least on my server, we're ass-deep in paladins. Only DKs and occasionally druids seem to be more well represented.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Although I've been playing a Paladin for like.... 2 months, I already know: Fuck Druids and Shamans.

OK OK, I had a Druid and Shaman fist so I see both sides... But man is it the exact opposite of fun blessing 10 classes with my mighty mana pool of like 6k THEN single target blessing like 5 people because somehow we only have 2 Pallys in a 25 man.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    A piece of mage food or lvl 75 water will restore you mana pool in about 5 seconds.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It's easy as shit with my guild. We have a grand total of ONE tank that isn't a paladin.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thank you captain obvious. But everyone's super happy to wait the 25 globals it takes to bless.

Hate/Happy: Remembered the Winter Veil achievements take 325 cooking, then realized I'm apparently OCD about secondary skills and only need to level cooking on 2 toons...

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pally Power makes blessings so much less painful. But I almost never do single target blessings, even if I'm the only pally. It's just not necessary unless I was doing hard modes or Grand Crusader.

And usually, if I'm not tanking, I give everyone kings. If another pally is doing kings all around, I do might on warr,rogue,hunter,dk and wis on all the casters. If somebody speaks up and they agree the shamans are all enh and need might, I'll do that. But catering to many individual requests for 10min blessings; pfffffff.

Also, a great way to reduce the stress is only bless before bosses. Trash is easy, don't need blessings at all.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    Although I've been playing a Paladin for like.... 2 months, I already know: Fuck Druids and Shamans.

OK OK, I had a Druid and Shaman fist so I see both sides... But man is it the exact opposite of fun blessing 10 classes with my mighty mana pool of like 6k THEN single target blessing like 5 people because somehow we only have 2 Pallys in a 25 man.

There is no side to druids. By that I mean, there's no reason ever to not give someone MotW. A consistent thing I saw in almost all my time raiding, with otherwise really good players, was not giving out buffs after a request had been made(and not spammed). This is out of combat, sitting around doing nothing but listening to strategy.

I'm pretty sure if I ever do play a pally, I will damn sure have pally power or something and be giving out single target blessings for bosses.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Blessings are not nearly as bad as they used to be. Even if you only have 2 paladins, it's easy to give Shamans/Druids wisdom and just let a warrior battle shout, or give them might and let a shaman drop mana spring.

If you're working on the hardest of hard content where every little bit matters, then people probably wouldn't be bitching about having to bless a certain way. Plus, as long as you have one competent paladin who can quickly set up Pally power, for everybody else it's just hitting left click and right click a few times anyway.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    I like zomgbuffs instead of PallyPower. Same functionality as PP, compatible with PP for assignments, but for all class buffs.

Echo on
  • Options
    Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Blessings are not nearly as bad as they used to be.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA GUYS IM DONE BLESSING ALL FOURTY OF YOU WITH THE APPROPRIATE BUFFS. DON'T WORRY IM STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN BECAUSE THEY ARE RUNNING OUT ALREADY AND YOU PEOPLE WHINE LIKE HUGE BITCHES.

Poor babies, 10 clicks.

Thomase1984 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've never gotten pally power to work right for me. For some reason, it never communicates with anyone elses. I finally just uninstalled it. It's not too hard to work out a buff plan, especially if you have 3+ pallies. Then it's fucking cake.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Happy: Mage hit 73, knocked off another quarter of a level before calling it a night, and I'll have the apartment to myself for 4 days, so it'll be WoWFest '09 at my place! The Alts, oh god the Alts!

~6 levels in 3 days with over a full level of Rested? Maybe. If I run out of rested, I think I'll just swap to the Warlock and get him rolling while the mage recovers from said experience bender.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Blessings are not nearly as bad as they used to be.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA GUYS IM DONE BLESSING ALL FOURTY OF YOU WITH THE APPROPRIATE BUFFS. DON'T WORRY IM STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN BECAUSE THEY ARE RUNNING OUT ALREADY AND YOU PEOPLE WHINE LIKE HUGE BITCHES.

Poor babies, 10 clicks.

Same with old school warlock summons.

If you had a lazy raid, you were out of shards before the damn raid started.

Luckily I was an officer back then who got gkick happy with the biggest offenders.

Edit: Oh god, the health stones. *cries in a corner*

frylocked on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    My minimum requirement(I was often lax about it) for summoning was always that the player be making an attempt to get to the destination. I'd look to see if they were on their mount, or flying, first.

Septus on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Hate: people who use wow-heroes, gearscore, be.imba, or any of a number of tools to check someone's gear and competency.
    the only check worth doing is to pull up their armory and look into that, see if they have gemmed correctly, see if they have either the ideal spec for their class, or at least a spec that makes sense, and have a look at their achievement history to see how many dungeon and raid achievements they have.

it doesnt take long to do an hour or so of reading to determine gemming and talent choices for a class you haven't played. i only have four 80s...DK, paladin, warrior, druid, yet i could probably look at the armory of any other class and be able to tell whether they know what they are doing with gearing.

Scanning their armory is by no means a foolproof method, but it is definitely at least somewhat productive, compared to the others which are worse than useless.

one site that is kind of nice is pugchecker.com. It lists all the raids and how many times the person has done them, even how many times someone has done a boss. It also lists their gear/gemming and enchants.

So it makes it easier to see if they've done something, they've done it more than once, etc. It's also really nice to see if someone has maybe ran ToC a lot, but maybe not finished. So they could be a really good X, but just not been in a group that could make it all the way past anub or something.

Obviously, it's not foolproof either, but I think it gives a nice summary of someone's raiding experience other than "do you have the achievement, what's your gear like" (although the best test is just to see how people do)

Langly on
  • Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Happy: Aced my anatomy practical exam, went to the VA for an appointment, got new glasses. Come home, open up my WoW Mail and my Hallow's End issue got resolved. I talked with a few GMs and a dev who could see my issue in the code or whatever. Sent me 2 days worth of treat bags. Got my pet, 75 pet achievement, hallow's end, and long strange trip all at once. Hello 100 achievement points! Moved on from there to Ulduar 10 where we did every hard mode but firefighter, general V and yogg. Got my Mjollner Runestone! Should have Glory of the 10 man on Thursday. ToGC gear makes it so easy. Single healed almost every fight. Good day!

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Langly wrote: »
    one site that is kind of nice is pugchecker.com. It lists all the raids and how many times the person has done them, even how many times someone has done a boss. It also lists their gear/gemming and enchants.

Ooh, I like that one, if for no other reason than seeing how many times I've done things.

True to form like every expansion on every character, I've done very few 5 man runs on Lichfoe. Then I go look up other dudes and see that they've run several 5 mans 50 or 60 times. o_O

Septus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    God, if it kept track of stuff from BC mine would be so depressing.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am scared to look at my total 5mans done considering i have the 1500 emblem achievement on two characters, one of whom was only played in Wrath.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    My BC one would be like,
    Karazhan: 4 bosses
    Gruul: Once
    Mag: none
    Magister's Terrace regular:3/4 bosses
    Shattered Halls/Shadow Labyrinth/Arcatraz/Hellfire Ramparts/Underbog Heroics:8 million fucking times.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You can check that yourself by opening up your Achievements, going to the Statistics Page, Clicking Dungeons and Raids, and then it shows how many times you have killed each of the final bosses since Wrath.

Seg on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I am scared to look at my total 5mans done considering i have the 1500 emblem achievement on two characters, one of whom was only played in Wrath.

...That achievement only applies Wrath. BC uses Badges.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Whoo: Vezax hardmode! Just Mimiron, Freya and Yogg hardmodes to go. In related news FL+4 can go suck a cock.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What's the best way to deal with the adds in FL+4? Have bikes kite them into stuff?

Bama on
This discussion has been closed.