As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox and RROD Proofing

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
My girlfriend recently got addicted to Rock Band and playing Bass, and steadily has been itching to play it since our mutual friend who had the Xbox moved away.

I have no problem getting an Xbox but I don't want the basic deal. I mean, c'mon, that plastic casing is weaksauce and the component design sucks so much the thing breaks itself.

SO. I'm thinking about buying one of these: Lian-Li Xbox Case

Basically, you dismantle the xbox, put it in the case, and voila - stylish, modern case that is designed to do one thing: cool the Xbox.

Has anyone done this? In dismantling the Xbox, I'll probably void the warranty, but is there a way to put it back together in case something else breaks (that can't be fixed) and I need to send it in?

1ddqd on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I haven't done this before, but I just want to say: Paying $100 for a cooler that may or may not work isn't any better than paying $100 to fix it when/if it does die.

urahonky on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If your Xbox red rings within 3 years without this case, it costs you nothing to have it fixed.
    If your Xbox red rings within 3 years with this case, it costs you $100, however much effort it takes to relocate it to a new case, and $100-something for the repair because you voided the free included 3-year warranty on the problem you were trying to solve.

If your Xbox red rings after 3 years without this case, you're out the cost of a new Xbox, or a $100-something repair.
    If your Xbox red rings after 3 years with this case, you're out the cost of a new Xbox, or a $100-something repair, plus the $100 for the case.

What exactly is the upside?

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    That's stylish and modern? It looks ugly as fuck.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Red rings aren't really a big deal. Worst case if your Xbox dies, you ship it to MSFT free of charge, then get it back two weeks later. They'll either repair it, or if they can't, they'll replace it.

Voiding the warranty doesn't seem like all that great an idea.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The best way to protect a 360 from a red ring it to keep it in an open area, and make sure it has good airflow. If the room it's going to be in is usually hot, get a desk fan or something and have it pointed at the 360 while it's on

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The red rings plagued the 90nm/90nm cpu/gpu models. When they moved to the 65nm/90nm the problem vanished with few exceptions (3 red lights is a general failure so in rare cases it can still pop up regardless of what you do. Electronics just fail sometimes). The current model is a 65nm/65nm and it runs really cool and has no heat issues. This would be a waste of money from a cooling standpoint as the Xbox 360 doesn't have cooling issues anymore.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Good to know, I knew some people still had the issue cropping up, but I never heard any updates about the die size fixing it.

Also, the last I heard (about a year ago) all Xbox came with 1 year warranty, glad to know they're stepping it up. I saw the Elite is $100 off right now, we might end up purchasing that.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They do have a one year warranty. The three year "extension" is for RRoD's exclusively.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Except for the novelty value ("Hey guys! Guess what this is!"), I don't really see it as being that advantageous.

Then again, I'm still on my launch Xbox 360, with no repairs. I'm well past the warranty. Still seems like a bad idea...

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looking at the installation instructions on Lian-Li's website...stay away.

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/microsite6/xb01user01.html

That's a whole lot of fuckin' around to get it in a case that may or may not help at all. And looks ugly aswell.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    I don't know about this specific one, but some of the fans that have been sold to "prevent overheating" actually impede the design of the 360 with regards to normal airflow and make them more likely to overheat.

Regardless, this is a waste of money.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    DekuStick wrote: »

That's a whole lot of fuckin' around to get it in a case that may or may not help at all. And looks ugly aswell.

:shock:

Yeah, fuck that. You're far more likely to fuck something up while dicking around with the guts of your 360 than you are to suffer a RROD.

And you'd need to buy a set of Torx screwdrivers, unless you happen to have some lying around. Add another $20 or so to the cost.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When you open the 360 up you remove a warranty sticker. You could screw around with hairdryers and stuff to take the sticker off in one piece but it's illegal and a hassle. If you're going to the effort of putting it in a custom case, put it in a nice one! That thing is hideous!

::edit:: However taking it apart isn't too hard.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That mod kinda sucks. Not like this mod.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The RROD problem is related to heat, but not necessarily prevented by better cooling. There is a significant component of the problem that is related to the mechanical design of the motherboard and the heatsink mounting, which was mitigated (to one extent or another) in later designs.

A larger, better ventilated case such as the Lian-Li might delay it. However:
    • The Lian-Li case is OLOL DUKE XBOX HUGE - is it not the nicest or sleekest thing Lian-Li has produced, and I kinda like the design of their products; review of the product also said it was not up to Lian-Li's usual build quality
    • It will no-kidding kill your warranty dead; I wouldn't doubt Microsoft would refuse to repair this even if it three-ringed, and I don't think anyone would blame them for doing so
    • It's not trivial to open the 360 in the first place
    • Asumming you get it apart without destroying anything, as mentioned, assembly is not trivial
    • You've just spent 50% of the value (a new Jasper Arcade is $200, the case is $100) on an accesory that may or may not prolong the console's life
    • When it first came out, that case was $150, that it's dropped to 30% might give you an idea of the popularity of this product

Investing over 50% in the protection of the value of a commodity product is not a good idea in general. You could just set the $100 aside (or better yet, invest it even in a low-yield savings account) and probably be better off just replacing your existing one in two years when the 360 is on clearance at K-B Toys for $100.

Or, just put $40-50 into an extended warranty. 25% is marginal for what I consider worthwhile on warranties though.

darkgrue on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

:shock:

Yeah, fuck that. You're far more likely to fuck something up while dicking around with the guts of your 360 than you are to suffer a RROD.

And you'd need to buy a set of Torx screwdrivers, unless you happen to have some lying around. Add another $20 or so to the cost.

Any geek that doesn't have a set of Torx screwdrivers should be ashamed of himself.

However...
    darkgrue wrote: »
    The RROD problem is related to heat, but not necessarily prevented by better cooling. There is a significant component of the problem that is related to the mechanical design of the motherboard and the heatsink mounting, which was mitigated (to one extent or another) in later designs.

A larger, better ventilated case such as the Lian-Li might delay it. However:
    • The Lian-Li case is OLOL DUKE XBOX HUGE - is it not the nicest or sleekest thing Lian-Li has produced, and I kinda like the design of their products; review of the product also said it was not up to Lian-Li's usual build quality
    • It will no-kidding kill your warranty dead; I wouldn't doubt Microsoft would refuse to repair this even if it three-ringed, and I don't think anyone would blame them for doing so
    • It's not trivial to open the 360 in the first place
    • Asumming you get it apart without destroying anything, as mentioned, assembly is not trivial
    • You've just spent 50% of the value (a new Jasper Arcade is $200, the case is $100) on an accesory that may or may not prolong the console's life
    • When it first came out, that case was $150, that it's dropped to 30% might give you an idea of the popularity of this product

Investing over 50% in the protection of the value of a commodity product is not a good idea in general. You could just set the $100 aside (or better yet, invest it even in a low-yield savings account) and probably be better off just replacing your existing one in two years when the 360 is on clearance at K-B Toys for $100.

Or, just put $40-50 into an extended warranty. 25% is marginal for what I consider worthwhile on warranties though.

First off, the Duke was fucking awesome...you shut your mouth. Best controller ever.

But consider the rest sprinkled with lime. Monetarily, it's a terrible investment. So the only real reason to do so would be because you actually enjoy the look of the case. But from what I can tell, that's basically a MiniATX case that they modified (slightly) for use with the Xbox and then marked up (either because Xbox modders are dumb enough to pay for it or due to economies of scale working against them, either way). If you want me to buy your third-party case for my Xbox, make it at least feel custom. Not, "look guys, I threw my Xbox into a PC case aren't I awesome?"

Because that shit be mad stupid yo.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If it's just for Rock Band, why not get a PS3 or a Wii?

That being said, unless you have a good amount of experience taking apart electronics, stay away from this idea.

You will end up with a $300 paperweight. And everyone is going to laugh at you.

Just stick with the generous (face-saving) RRoD warranty extension and replace your X-box when it does break, and by that time, it will probably be cheaper.

This kind of pre-emptive measure is going to do nothing but make you look foolish when your machine 'pre-emptively' breaks because you effectively diddled it.

As for the aesthetics of the case....
    It's modern = it's black. So you don't notice the eventual discoloration.
    Unless you really really want to customize it, why? Are you going to put fans with LEDs in it? Going to water-cool it? You're trading a big black case for a bigger black case? It would only work to confuse potential thieves.

Fubear on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    We replaced the X-clamps and heatsink in one of our Xboxes. Much easier to order one of the "opener tools" from somewhere like dealextreme. And just in case you're wondering, I think we ending up needing a T7 and a T9 Torx. So make sure you buy the small set.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    We replaced the X-clamps and heatsink in one of our Xboxes. Much easier to order one of the "opener tools" from somewhere like dealextreme. And just in case you're wondering, I think we ending up needing a T7 and a T9 Torx. So make sure you buy the small set.

This.

But, I would wait to do it for awhile. Let MS repair it for you while you can get them to.

Also, make one of these:
    360rack1.jpg

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was wondering about that, actually...so having airflow in/out from both "sides" (top and bottom when placed horizontally) is important? Does anybody have a sketchup (or a link to one) of the airflow patter for a 360?

I just bought one, and I leave it horizontal (for now, at least), and I want to try to avoid problems.

It's one of the new ones, so it shouldn't have issues, but it pays to be cautious.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vertical is bad just because its not very stable. Many people have seen their box come crashing down to horizontal and their discs chewed to shit. I don't know about airflow. I've heard it stands on an exhaust or something when vertical but I have no idea if thats true or not. I just opt to keep mine horizontal as I've shredded a Halo 3 disc in an unfortunate falling accident.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Someone answer me this:
    My box got an E74 error (single red). It says repair cost is $0 (which it should be, since I have had it little more than a year).
    Do I have to pay to ship it, or is the shipping label they have me print paid by MS?
    Because screw them in the [choose orifice] if their friggin machine bails after one year of mild usage, then they expect me to foot the bill...

Edit: I think I just found on their website that they pay for shipping both ways and repair due to the type of error. Still...one year old console? Really?

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

This.

But, I would wait to do it for awhile. Let MS repair it for you while you can get them to.

Also, make one of these:
    360rack1.jpg

I've been using my loud-as-hell launch 360 since, well, launch.

Would a few Jenga(tm) blocks udnerneath it do the same thing? Not over the air holes, obviously, but would it accomplish the same purpose?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

This.

Also, make one of these:
    360rack1.jpg

Would a few Jenga(tm) blocks udnerneath it do the same thing? Not over the air holes, obviously, but would it accomplish the same purpose?

Perfectly. I had some cardboard squares propping it up before, and commissioned a buddy to weld/ paint that up for me, after the cardboard got ragged.

Even if you prop it up with some books around the edges, and leave a gap in the middle, it helps a ton. If you can point a big fan at it (from a distance, not real close) I'm sure that would be really good for it, as well.

My unit (heh, unit) was a launch unit, but has been sent in and replaced with refurbs 5 times now. Then I said fuck it and did the previously mentioned X-Clamp mod, and haven't had a problem in the 6 months of heavy use since then.
    Unit.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fubear wrote: »
    If it's just for Rock Band, why not get a PS3 or a Wii?

360 is the lead platform.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009

This.

Also, make one of these:
    360rack1.jpg

Perfectly. I had some cardboard squares propping it up before, and commissioned a buddy to weld/ paint that up for me, after the cardboard got ragged.

Even if you prop it up with some books around the edges, and leave a gap in the middle, it helps a ton. If you can point a big fan at it (from a distance, not real close) I'm sure that would be really good for it, as well.

My unit (heh, unit) was a launch unit, but has been sent in and replaced with refurbs 5 times now. Then I said fuck it and did the previously mentioned X-Clamp mod, and haven't had a problem in the 6 months of heavy use since then.
    Unit.

Well, I'm not confident enough to crack mine open (yeah, I'm beyond the warranty, but I'm broke as it is, I'd sit and wait than risk screwing up). But elevating the thing is probably doable, though for some reason, I can't find my Jenga(tm) set. I do have a nice, sturdy, very thin cardboard box that my Zune Headphones came in, that has a big section cut out for display (not the plastic insert, just the box). That's probably better than a similarly sized paperback book.

Like you, I keep my Xbox 360 in an entertainment furniture unit thingy. Open back though.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

This.

Also, make one of these:
    360rack1.jpg

Unit.

Well, I'm not confident enough to crack mine open (yeah, I'm beyond the warranty, but I'm broke as it is, I'd sit and wait than risk screwing up). But elevating the thing is probably doable, though for some reason, I can't find my Jenga(tm) set. I do have a nice, sturdy, very thin cardboard box that my Zune Headphones came in, that has a big section cut out for display (not the plastic insert, just the box). That's probably better than a similarly sized paperback book.

Like you, I keep my Xbox 360 in an entertainment furniture unit thingy. Open back though.

Oh, mines open backed too, that's the wall.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    OrthojiOrthoji Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This doesn't look like a perfect thread for this basic question, but I'll try.

My 360 has E74'd. I have taken my hard drive off it (120gb, came with the 360) in preparation for boxing it up. MS says they will fix it and I have shipping label, etc, but if I end up buying a new console, can I buy the bottom-of-line with small or no hard drive and just connect my 120gb from my previous 360 to it without problems?

Orthoji on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Actually, that's not all that bad. The most difficult part of that process is opening the existing 360 case. That part is such a pain in the ass, but its understandable why that is.

The deterrent here would be the price and whether there really is value, not the work involved.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Orthoji wrote: »
    This doesn't look like a perfect thread for this basic question, but I'll try.

My 360 has E74'd. I have taken my hard drive off it (120gb, came with the 360) in preparation for boxing it up. MS says they will fix it and I have shipping label, etc, but if I end up buying a new console, can I buy the bottom-of-line with small or no hard drive and just connect my 120gb from my previous 360 to it without problems?

You'll have to use the license transfer utility. Its MS' web based utility, so do a google search. You can do this once/year.

You might want to make sure support transferred the licenses from the failed console to the replacement before doing this. (Access DLC while offline or with another account that did not purchase the content.)

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    OrthojiOrthoji Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll look into it. Thanks for that.

Orthoji on